Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-06-2007, 10:03 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Default Need your opinion (and sympathy)

So we moved 3 months ago from soCal to noCal which meant I had to pack up all (and I have more than I am willing to admit) my craft stuff (mostly stamps and scrapbook things). We only signed a 6 month lease since we weren't quite sure if we wanted to buy right away or rent longer... Because of the short stay here I unpacked as little as possible (meaning less to pack up when we move again). So I didn't unpack any of my craft things and I am going nuts! Well, we just bought the greatest place (not much of a house but 1/2 acre of landscaped yard- kids are going to go nuts). My problem is I am not going to have a room for my crafts like I did in soCal. I am really not even sure where I am going to be able to put my stuff! So those of you who are limited on space but have a lot of craft stuff- where do you put your stuff and where do you work on it? I have to tell you that I have a 2 year old, 4 year old and another on the way so I would probably have to put my stuff away after each use...

Did I just ramble? Did this make any sense? I just need your advice on how to plan for my craft storage. HELP!
Old 06-06-2007, 10:09 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

I like what I've seen others do with armoires. That way your stuff can be all put away when not in use. Some armoires even have fold-out tables or pull-out tables that work. I don't know how much stuff you have, but maybe that's a possibility. If not, you can always do what I did before getting my own space...lug it all out each time and work on a folding table in the family room. I really wouldn't recommend that route though...it's not very much fun.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:10 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

There are a few ladies on here who have their area in a closet, they deck it out with shelves and storage cubbies and a worktop that can all be hidden away by simply closing the door. I hope one of them posts here and gives you a link to their areas. It is amazing what they have done with such a small space!

Do you have a Large walk-in type master bedroom closet? That might work well. Or maybe an unfinished basement you can finish in one corner? Before we bought this house I had my area in a corner of the kids play room. I put up cubicle walls and had my desk and storage behind a 'wall'. Now I have an office/craft room and I love it. Since you are buying maybe down the road you can talk DH into adding on a room for you

My little gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-06-2007, 10:14 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...3010?si=closet
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...3008?si=closet

This is what I was talking about. This is Brenda71's closet..isn't that just the coolest idea?

My little gallery
Old 06-06-2007, 10:16 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Our house is small so I don't have a craft room. We don't have enough storage as it is, so it's out of the question for me to use a closet for my crafting area. I keeep my stuff in rubbermaid-type stackable plastic drawers. They are along the wall between my kitchen counter and the sliding glass door.

My plan is to empty out the bottom of the china cabinet, move the cabinet along the wall where my plastic stackables are, and keep my supplies in there.

I make my cards on the dining room table and put everything away when I'm finished.

My little corner of the internet: Robin's Ramblings
My passion - rescuing senior dogs! The Mr Mo Project
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2007, 10:17 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks, guys! The problem is that this is a super small house (built in '23) so there are not enough closets as it is- I will have to figure out where I may be able to fit an armoire. There is a small basement but it is exposed to all the spiders and moisture that live under a house (it's the access to under the house) I will have to see if we would be able to close it off and make it more craft/paper friendly. I can just see it now- smooshed spiders on all of my cards and scrapbooks

More ideas???
Old 06-06-2007, 10:17 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

All of my stuff is crammed in the utility/laundry room. I have one bookshelf and two pullout iris carts, and then a hanging folder unit for my papers that I got a Costco. My paper cutter sits on top of the dryer and honestly I move stacks of "stuff" from washer to dryer as I need the machine...which I try and use as little as possible. (I wish!!) If I am making a quick card I stand right there and stamp on the edges of the washing machine. If it's more involved, I take it out into the den and work on a TV tray and interact with the kids.

It's managable but you just have to keep picking up...
Old 06-06-2007, 10:18 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I am in the same situation as you...I have five kids (12, 10, 8, 2, 8mths) and don't have a stamp space. I have an armoire that I have taken over in the dining room and I use the dining room table. It is a total pain to not leave stuff out, but I have no choice. I start getting stuff out during lunchtime (my cutter, adhesive, papers, whatever) and then by the time the babies are done lunch and put down for their nap I'm ready to go. Someday I hope to have a "craft room". I figure, they are only little for such a short time (LONG days, SHORT years) and for now its what works for me. Hope this helps.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:23 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

I've been through this type of move myself. Whatever you do DON'T SELL YOUR STUFF! You'll regret it for the rest of your life!

Space is the initial reason I went to unmounted stamps. I was able to get truckload (seriously) into 6 albums and them all my paper and tools fit back into the cabinet. Problem solved.

I still don't have a craft room and can't stamp on laundry day, no room for both at the same time, but I was able to keep all my stuff.
He set His STAMP of ownership on us, and put His spirit in our hearts as a deposit 2 Cor 1:22 Jan
Old 06-06-2007, 10:31 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by JampsterStampsterView Post
I've Space is the initial reason I went to unmounted stamps. I was able to get truckload (seriously) into 6 albums and them all my paper and tools fit back into the cabinet. Problem solved.
You are so right that that makes a big difference! That's what I keep in my Iris carts. I also don't have DH asking me all the time if I really need all of those stamps! tee hee...
Old 06-06-2007, 10:32 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Could you carve out a spot in the garage??? I don't think it really matters hoe BIG your space, but more how ORGANIZED it is. KWIM??

SAHM and SU! Demo
Old 06-06-2007, 10:34 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Definitely look into the armoir route if you don't have any closet space - the one's made for crafters (or having one made to order) can fit a ton of stuff and can have pull-out/fold-down work tables and whatnot and make it easy to keep it all in one spot and not having to put it all away!!

I remember seeing on an episode of Clean Sweep (is that even on anymore?? I LOVED that show!!) where they made a craft area for the one lady right in a central area of the house and it could be closed off with dividers (I *think* that's what they used - it's been a couple of years since I saw it!) so that IF it was messy no one could see and of course the kids couldn't get into her stuff..............
Old 06-06-2007, 11:19 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

I have currently found a corner of our kitchen to do everything. I got a cropper hopper unit, a few paper dividers and that holds all my paper. My stamps are on an old rotating CD/vhs holder unit. I did end up unmounting all my rubber stamps and putting them into CD cases to help. And my acrylics go into the stride right shoe boxes on the cropper hopper. I then have a couple of plastic drawers/units on the counter that hold my embossing/stamp accessories. Ink pads are usually stored in a bag. It works for now. I will be taking over the kid's playroom once they are too old for it.

www.NicoleEBecker.myctmh.com
Old 06-06-2007, 11:40 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

Can you install one of those tables on hinges on one of your walls? Where you can fold it down when you want to do crafty things and fold it back up when you are done? of course that doesn't help with where to store your things...
Old 06-06-2007, 12:58 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am in your boat as well. I have a 3 yr old and another on the way so I have to keep everything locked up. I don't have a room either. I have a corner of the formal living/ dining area. I have a rather large jelly cabinet- so I can lock it with those kiddsafety locks- inside I Have the iris 12x12 containers) . I also use the top shelves of a book case where I pushed up a portable desk to the side to deter climbing. I keep all my "boring" supplies on the table and she pretty much leaves them alone. When I have workshops everyone sits at the dining table. When I I have a party I can hide all my supplies with out too much work. I also had to unmount all my stamps and I got the over the door cd racks from container store- love them. My stamps are safely up very high... hope that helps some.

MY BLOG
Old 06-06-2007, 02:17 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Default Thanks

Thanks all! It's obviously going to take a lot of planning and organizing! We don't get the keys until the 23rd so I will do a lot of "shopping" for space saving items. Unmounting sounds like it would definately save me some space- ugh... just the thought sounds so drastic- I worked so hard at mounting those things!!! I kinda feel like I would be defacing art!! How pathetic is that!!!! The garage idea would have worked- if the house had a garage. We will be adding on eventually... I just want to play with my things now!
Old 06-06-2007, 03:39 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Hobby Hideaway!! I just did it and don't regret at all!

Definitely check out Hobby Hideaway! I recently lost my 10x13 craft room and the walk in closet to having a baby. Check out my gallery. I fit everything in it and more!!!! And if you don't have room for side cabs...the majority of those are filled with stamp bins. So you could go unmounted and manage to fit all in the main area.

Another SCSer also just bought one and she has pics. I also have more pics in the customer gallery on their website at hobbyhideaway.com.

I'm a huge fan! The desk pops in and you don't have to put anything away! Plus you can work quickly standing because the top portion of the desk is a little higher when it is pushed in....if you only have a min with kids running afoot. And the cab doors are available with locks if you need to go that route. I passed...but I have baby gates up.

Feel free to ask questions. I did a ton of research to find bins, etc. to use up the most cubic inches in there as possible.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:45 PM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

I love my rolling crate organizer from ACMoore. It is an open crate with a retractable handle. It has load of handy pockets all around the outside and the inside and completely open in the middle for all my boxes of stamps and paper. I load it up with my projects and roll it around to wherever I am working. I can roll it in and out of my trunk or into closets. The handle goes down. I believe it is made by Fiskars and was only $25! I used a 40% off coupon and saved even more. Perhaps you could by several for stamping, scrapbooking.... I stack clear plastic shoe boxes in it with projects ready to do and wheel it over to the living room or off to a class.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:59 PM   #19  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Sandy...sorry to hear about you losing your room.
You can still keep everything and get by though. Lots of great ideas posted...
I have a walk in closet right outside of my bedroom that I use...store everything on shelves and the middle shelf is used as a work station. I also have a small artist desk in my room so if i want to work at night I can do that.

But, with a 2 year old and a 4.5 year old--i have the same problem. I keep a three drawer plastic organizer in my closet that I can quickly fill with supplies when I want to work on something and I can take it to whatever room we are playing in *usually the kitchen island for me!
It works...not ideal but it works---apparently it works well enough because my dh wants me to take over his office and I dont want to move my stuff. (I am trying to convince myself it is not because I am too lazy to move everything!!!)

Good luck!
Old 06-06-2007, 08:08 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

My only additional thought would be to sorta your stamps. I mean if you know you won't be doing christmas for awhile then you might be able to store those away from your main stash to make extra room, ect.

Annetta
Old 06-06-2007, 09:05 PM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

i seen i think it was somewhere here on SCS.. that someone built a shed/craft space in their backyard it was really cute. hmm i wish i could remeber where i seen that.. anyways you said you have a lot of outside space so maybe you could do something like that? i'll try and find what i am talking about..
Old 06-06-2007, 09:24 PM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnazzyStamperView Post
Definitely check out Hobby Hideaway! I recently lost my 10x13 craft room and the walk in closet to having a baby. Check out my gallery. I fit everything in it and more!!!! And if you don't have room for side cabs...the majority of those are filled with stamp bins. So you could go unmounted and manage to fit all in the main area.

Another SCSer also just bought one and she has pics. I also have more pics in the customer gallery on their website at hobbyhideaway.com.

I'm a huge fan! The desk pops in and you don't have to put anything away! Plus you can work quickly standing because the top portion of the desk is a little higher when it is pushed in....if you only have a min with kids running afoot. And the cab doors are available with locks if you need to go that route. I passed...but I have baby gates up.

Feel free to ask questions. I did a ton of research to find bins, etc. to use up the most cubic inches in there as possible.
Oh, my!!! That is the best thing I have seen! What all did you get- when I looked at the pricing I was a little overwhelmed by all of the additions- I would have no idea what all to get...
Old 06-06-2007, 09:24 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

ugh cant find what i am talking about.. maybe someone else can. hope you come up with something!!
Old 06-07-2007, 05:01 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Default Armoire

I have an armoire in my craft room for my stamping stuff. It was custom-made for me, and hence not quite as expensive as the beautiful ones you see online. However, EVERYTHING I have is in it. I am unmounting to give me growth room however!

I have a collection of links here for you to drool over...
Keeps Sake Creation Station and Stacks
Hobby Hideaway
The Work Box
Collector's Cabinets
Stackables
Custom Furniture Concepts

Storage of LOTS of stuff CAN be done in a very small space!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:43 AM   #25  
Crimping Master

I'm very fortunate to have my own stamp space, but did not have a place for all my supplies previously. Here are some suggestions. You have to find every nook and cranny in your house to store things. I'm not just talking about stamp things, but other household things. If you can stash more stuff, you have more room for your stamping.

Add another shelf to the top of the closets. Store things up there you don't need too often. Add another shelf to the bottom of the linen closet, and also the top. Get containers that fit under the beds for extra sheets and blankets. Out of season things can go there also. I took over a pantry closet in the kitchen for my stamp stuff. I cleared out all the mugs, and mismatched glasses from my kitchen cabinets, and made more space for the kitchen things. It's surprising how much space you can find. Eileen