Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-27-2008, 09:08 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you been a design team member? Or wanted to be?

I would love to get on a design team but I am not sure what is most important to present to a prospective company. If you have been on a team, what do you think helped you most? I am relatively new to SCS and am trying to post more and my blog is updated a couple times a week but I can't say I have any die-hard followers and both of those items seem to have been things one recent company was looking for - either a blog following or a lot of posting at SCS.

Any tips or ideas as to what I can do to be viewed more favorably??
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2008, 09:55 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Use their product and post lots of samples showing their product. That speaks volumes to a company about how loyal you will be to their 'brand.' When you submit samples to a company to be on their design team, use their products. That seems like a no-brainer but you'd be amazed....

Study the style of those on their design team. Does the company you like have a certain 'look'? Are your samples reflecting that look?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2008, 10:14 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

It's really up to the people deciding who will be on the DT and their PERSONAL taste.. Sometimes they tell you outright what they are looking for.. When I tried out for the Elzybells DT (and was accepted, YAY) Elizabeth said she was looking for good colouring skills, so i submitted my BEST colouring efforts using HER stamps...

I've seen many companies advertise for DT calls, but I only try for ones that suit my style, (some, like AMuse say they want clean-and-simple, and that's not me, for the most part) or companies of which I own their stamps. I have to really like a company to design for them, so i can whole-heartedly design for them, and I think they can see that...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2008, 10:26 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Some companies want blogs updated often, (almost daily) a loyal following to your blog, and strong presence here on SCS, both in posting and in uploading. I think you just have to get yourself out there a lot doing what you love.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2008, 10:49 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovellView Post
Use their product and post lots of samples showing their product. That speaks volumes to a company about how loyal you will be to their 'brand.' When you submit samples to a company to be on their design team, use their products. That seems like a no-brainer but you'd be amazed....

Study the style of those on their design team. Does the company you like have a certain 'look'? Are your samples reflecting that look?
This is a difficult area for me - obviously, they want to see their products being used but I can't possibly buy things from everyone often enough to have current stamps from a lot of companies in the hopes that they have a DT call. Know what I mean? I do try to apply only to those that suit my style and therefore, I am likely to have a set or more from them. Any suggestions how to increase my blog readers?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2008, 11:09 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I was just thinking about this.. I think with companies, they would want "popular" people who have a strong following. That way, it'll ensure that their products get more exposure. So, it make some believe that if you are a super talented beginner, your chances probably aren't that great either. I guess keep creating, keep posting, keep blogging.

Designing for my Stamp BOX | Caardvarks | Purple Cows
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2008, 11:23 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBryt1View Post
This is a difficult area for me - obviously, they want to see their products being used but I can't possibly buy things from everyone often enough to have current stamps from a lot of companies in the hopes that they have a DT call. Know what I mean? I do try to apply only to those that suit my style and therefore, I am likely to have a set or more from them. Any suggestions how to increase my blog readers?
Hi Mary! It's Sparkle.

The more you post, the more people will read. Post actively on the boards and more people will click on your link thats in your signature. Also leave lots of comments on other people's blogs. Most people will click back on your profile and check out your blog. But this will also require you to post more often to your blog. Most of the time if people don't post at least every other day, people tend to get bored and not look anymore.

To save some time, you can try to make projects in batches and then just schedule your posts out for the week.

Another way to get more product is join the group Wish RAK. That way you could get a good variety of images from lots of other companies and its alot cheaper than having to buy new stamps from everyone all the time.

Whatever company you're trying out for, just try to be involved with them. If they have a forum, post there...if the owner has a blog, follow and post regularly. I think it helps alot if they know you and they know you have passion for their company.

Lastly, just keep trying. Many people make it the next or 3rd time around. Good luck and I know you'll eventually get there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2008, 11:24 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by krisisView Post
I was just thinking about this.. I think with companies, they would want "popular" people who have a strong following. That way, it'll ensure that their products get more exposure. So, it make some believe that if you are a super talented beginner, your chances probably aren't that great either. I guess keep creating, keep posting, keep blogging.
It's a catch 22, isn't it? You get popular by being on a design team, but to get on a design team you need to be popular!!! argh!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2008, 11:51 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

You should try to be on design teams that you feel fit you and your style. Start with smaller companies that you feel strongly about and show them how loyal you are- they may bring you on as a guest designer, or offer to be a guest designer. Show using their product in a variety of ways, some companies have a distinct style but some are looking to break out of their style. You should show that you're creative and versatile (I know most companies are happy when people find new uses for their products). If you find yourself dragging to make projects that feel right then don't compromise who you are just for them- you won't be putting out your best work and it will show.

Also, when you post on your blog, make sure each post is meaningful. Don't think that you have to post something each day if your creativity is blah. Consistent quality and attention to detail, along with who you know and your following will prove to a company that you are worth having dealings with. Make your photos clean and your directions simple but not too simple. Look at the most popular bloggers and follow their lead- they've been doing something right if they got to where they are today.

Try to get published. Sometimes magazines like cards that are sponsored by a company. If you are submitting to a magazine ask the company who you are featuring if they will sponsor you for that card only. This opens communication between you and them in a low pressure setting and shows that you are not trying to get on their team, but you are promoting their products and that you care about their company personally. Companies love getting published because it is inexpensive advertising for them with a great creative use.

HTH, good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2008, 02:11 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Mary,
Thankyou for asking this question. I didn't realize I guess what it really takes to be on a DT. This has really opened my eyes. I was disappointed when I tried to get on a design team whom I thought their stamps were really cute and felt I could use them creatively. Now, I'm thankful I didn't get picked b/c I don't think I could have kept up the required pace. That being said, it doesn't mean I wouldn't LOVE to be on a DT. *sigh*....just means I go back to the drawing board and start over. '

Good luck however with your endeavors. I KNOW you'll get there. It's just timing and talent. KWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2008, 02:47 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

I'd love to try out for DT but a blog is a must I have found.
Reply With Quote Likes