Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Need opinion fast on a baby gift... THANKS!! (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/need-opinion-fast-baby-gift-thanks-103539/)

MonTigg 12-05-2005 09:49 AM

Need opinion fast on a baby gift... THANKS!!

Picture is posted I decided that if they would have liked army it would have been cuter but I decided to play it safe and go reg I was told the nursery is blue....

My hubby is in the Army and his Cpt just had a baby so I wanted to make the baby boy a mane frame I am gonna start in a few hours! Now... do I use courage and honor and make an army name frame since dad is in army and it's cute or do I make a reg baby frame since I am a teacher and I HATE getting work (apple etc) related stuff- I kinda feel like don't you realize I am more then a teacher/solider- KWIM? What would you do?

Mahloumel 12-05-2005 09:53 AM

Ever since I saw Kia on Trading Spaces give a military family a camouflage-themed living room (with disastrous results!) I would lean towards giving them a "regular" one. Maybe you could put in a little nod to the father's military career with one embellishment on the frame, or stamp a small something on the back of the frame so it isn't in your face, but is still there for the family to know. I don't know if I'm making any sense!

arcopes 12-05-2005 10:24 AM

I say do an army one! We are an AF family and my son's room is airplane city! Actually my living room is, too. Antique propellers, old aviation signs, etc. I would do it army style!!! But that's just me!

Alison

mndnco 12-05-2005 10:37 AM

Baby themed.
Something that they can hang in a nursery.

belindaking 12-05-2005 10:39 AM

I would say not an Army one unless you know the family well, and know they would appreciate it. My DH is also in the Army, and he really tries to keep work seperate from family as much as possible. The boys like camo shirts, and he always tries to talk them out of buying them. We don't have his certificates and stuff up on the wall yet in this house because he can't decide on a sufficiently "out of the way" place for them to be hung. I've known some families over the years who are "into" having Army stuff everywhere in their homes... but more often even in that case, it's the husband who has the Army decor, and the wife refers to it as "his junk."

The best solution would be to call up the family and ask what colors the nursery is decorated in. If that's not an option, I would use blues and greens probably in either soft subtles or bold brights. :D

laurakj 12-05-2005 11:01 AM

I agree with the Baby theme. It's to celebrate the baby, not the father's career.

Tah Dah! 12-05-2005 11:16 AM

I'd say stick with baby, too, although you could easily use some darker tones with metallic embellishments for a bit of a military "feel" (hope that makes some sort of sense!)

MonTigg 12-05-2005 11:38 AM

Off to make the frame! Thanks for the suggestions- I think I will go non military. I know anything military is not allowed in my house- I just thought I was the minority and that everyone wanted it... I do like the sugestion of the "military colors" I think I will use creamy carmel and olive and blue or something very boyish! Thanks everyone!

belindaking 12-05-2005 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonTigg
I know anything military is not allowed in my house- I just thought I was the minority and that everyone wanted it...

Definitely not in the minority! :D Although you wouldn't know it by looking at the selection of home decor they have at most B/PX's!!! :rolleyes:

Disneywed 12-05-2005 11:44 AM

what if you did a camoflaged design...with baby colors???

MonTigg 12-05-2005 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belindaking
Definitely not in the minority! :D Although you wouldn't know it by looking at the selection of home decor they have at most B/PX's!!! :rolleyes:

True went to a craft fair on base and 90% of the stuff there was military too.. AWSOME bracelet I saw then I noticed it said proud army wife... yeah not so much.... to each is own though!

arcopes 12-05-2005 12:32 PM

I must be the exception, except that I know I'm not! I think every one of my girlfriends has a jet somewhere in their home. Maybe it's the difference in Army and camo and the AF and just planes! Now mind you my formal living room isn't aircraft themed, nor is my kitchen, or bedroom...but those boys of mine love their jets, so I let them have it. I don't have awards and that junk up...that is what DH's office at work is for.

Alison

MonTigg 12-05-2005 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcopes
I must be the exception, except that I know I'm not! I think every one of my girlfriends has a jet somewhere in their home. Maybe it's the difference in Army and camo and the AF and just planes! Now mind you my formal living room isn't aircraft themed, nor is my kitchen, or bedroom...but those boys of mine love their jets, so I let them have it. I don't have awards and that junk up...that is what DH's office at work is for.

Alison

We have a helicopter that hubby flys made of wood up on a shelf! He's Army aviation- I just don't have anything camo or that says Army up-- all just depends on the decor of the house! Can't think of much cuter then an airplane room for a little boy!

mom2katjon 12-05-2005 01:42 PM

Hope you will post a picture of the finished product, whatere you decide to do!

Susan

MonTigg 12-06-2005 11:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2katjon
Hope you will post a picture of the finished product, whatere you decide to do!

Decided reg baby frame- the Cpt said the nursery was blue... so this is what a friend helped me come up with (Thanks Dawn) thanks for the tips gals!

KellyLuvs2Stamp 12-06-2005 11:11 AM

How cute!!!

Aubrey!!! This is sooooooooo adorable!!! I love it!!! :)

hoosierstamper 12-06-2005 11:18 AM

Very nice. I'm sure they'll LOVE it!!!

Jenica 12-06-2005 11:30 AM

Very cute!!

mmferg 12-06-2005 12:28 PM

Too cute!

stampinCPA 12-06-2005 12:39 PM

You did a great job! I'm sure they'll love it!

MonTigg 12-06-2005 01:10 PM

Thank you everyone- I was a little self concuois that it wasn't a "good enough" gift you have made me feel much better!