Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-04-2014, 01:21 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help- Lost all files on computer!

Hi ladies- I know you have all the answers-
First my desk top was crashing- so I transferred as much as I could onto an external hard drive- that just crashed too! I have lost all my pictures, digital stamps that I bought from mo manning etc..all my clip art, etc. I had the wonderful scripture art that someone on here has posted- and I NEED to get it back. Can anyone direct me to the site of the wonderful woman who shares her scripture art? I can't afford the $700 to try to save any of the data, so I have to start all over again. I guess you have to have your information in 3 spots now- I just learned how to do an external drive- I dont have time to learn all that - that would take away from stamping time lol!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2014, 02:05 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

We got 3 viruses in the past. Lost 3 hard drives. Each time all our pictures plus more vanished.

Right now I use thumb drives to put all my digi, stamping and personal info on.

Have not had any problems since we purchased Kaspersky for virus protection.

So sorry for your loss. I have been there.....Three Times!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. I also backup to external drives, but realized if I truly wanted to protect my data from loss, I would be wise to backup to a cloud or web server. I wouldn't want to backup any sensitive files, because there's no such animal as a hack free offline server. However a quality offline data server does auto backup to an additional server daily to provide an extra layer of protection from data loss. The cost is pretty reasonable. I pay $40.00 yearly for cloud storage. Being in the medical profession for years I can tell you we backed up data to our in house servers, and that data was backed up to an offline paid server nightly. Just a suggestion from someone who knows the pain of loss data. Again, so sorry this has happened to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know its a pain, and can get expensive if you have a couple thousand gigabytes like me to back up. I now use google drive as my cloud storage. If you don't have very much, you get 15gb of free storage with each google account. Having said that, I know it doesn't help you with what you have lost already. If you know which digi stamp shops you have purchased from, some of them will send you the files you purchased before or they are stored in your account history and you can retrieve them that way.

If someone quoted you $700 to do a data recovery for your hard drive, I would shop around some more. I've never heard it costing more than a couple hundred - at least around here. Maybe the computer guys work for cheap here, I don't know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2014, 04:25 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

So sorry to hear this. I have my data backed up on an external hard drive, a thumb drive, and two different cloud accounts. Can't be too careful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2014, 04:55 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Get Carbonite! After two crashes I signed up for it and am so glad I have it. I've been through several more crashes, but no more tears! I just restore everything through my Carbonite back up.
http://www.carbonite.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

I too would ck more places to retrieve yr data and I second the use of carbonite.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2014, 09:43 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Ok, STOP. First, try not to panic. I know it's easier said then done, (as I've panicked like a crazy insane person...lol). Now, take the external to the geeks. I'm dealing with 2 dead drives myself. I plan to back everything up in my cloud as well as DVD's. I'm tired of dropping all that money on a drive that dies. I'm lucky with what I got going now. I don't trust the sticks either. I would honestly, recommend backing up all photos on DVD'S. DVD's are cheap and you put them away and pull them out only when you need them. I've been double backing up. When you've lost as much data as I have..... OMG, you re think how you store things. You can also categorize them much easier on disk. I will never rely on one form of storage and backup ever again.

It may cost you $75-? but the Geek squad can usually get the data back. It costs $75 to start. One of my drives was only the drive insertion. It had been taken apart. I thought it was lost, but they got the data back. They can work miracles sometimes. There are some companies that charge big money for data retrieval, but try the geeks first is my suggestion.

Good luck. I hope this works for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Thank you all for the advice....I have taken it to 3 different places as well as the geeks at best buy...they put it on their tester and came out with a bad look on their faces. Said it was making their machines beep and tick etc...said its the worst kind of breakage/failure..it will be at least 700.00...
I have searched through my purchases, and all have seemed to have closed out the account, so I cant redownload them, I might contact momanning and see if there is anything that can be done...the worst part is all the stuff I have created for my papercrafting business. with craft show season quickly approaching, I dont have the time or energy (trying to get divorced) to recreate all the stuff- I guess when it rains it pours. I wanted to make scripture candles for a local christian book store, so I could get some money to feed my kids and keep the lights on- but all of that is gone too...oh well, I'll keep trucking along and thank god for the problems I have and for the ones he has chosen not to give me! I will now back up my back ups to the cloud or something, and make discs..this will not happen to me again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2014, 11:26 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So sorry to hear of all your troubles. Here is a link to a Pinterest page I found that has free Scripture Artwork you can print. Hope some of it works for you.

FREE Printable Scripture Art on Pinterest

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2014, 05:34 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftsrlbView Post
Thank you all for the advice....

I'll keep trucking along and thank god for the problems I have and for the ones he has chosen not to give me! I will now back up my back ups to the cloud or something, and make discs..this will not happen to me again!
I hear ya Sista'

Well God bless you for knowing how bad things could get. I'll say a little prayer that your load doesn't get any heavier than it is now.

Take care. Things will eventually even out. I promise......

kat
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2014, 12:31 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

First, my deepest sympathies to you on facing this kind of setback at a stressful time.

Second, I am not really a hardware expert, and you may have already considered this, but...

1) Regarding the Desktop, if it was the motherboard or the RAM that failed and not the hard drive, the hard drive can be attached to a healthy computer as a "slave drive" and viewed like any other removable hard drive. (You will need to remove the hard drive from the desktop and connect it to the innards of a healthy computer.)

2) I had a bad crash in 2005. Because I was in an urban area, I was able to find someone on Craig's List who could recover my data for under $200. If you are close to a city, you may be able to find someone to help you for less money.

3) You may have considered this too, but check your web e-mail account for anything you received via e-mail or sent via e-mail. You would be surprised at how many things are sitting in there.

4) Ask friends and family who may have copies of things like pictures and art work to send them to you.

5) Consider writing to the vendors directly to ask them to resend the digital files. They may still have records of your purchases or may simply be willing to help you.

Finally, a few suggestions for free resources:

dafont.com has plenty of beautiful free fonts. Many are even free for commercial purposes.

You can also try Handpicked free fonts for graphic designers with commercial-use licenses. | Font Squirrel.

Even MyFonts: Fonts for Print, Products & Screens and FontShop. The World?s Best Fonts. have some free fonts available.

Look for ornament fonts, which are basically just pictures you can use in your crafting.

Chris Spooner, a professional graphic designer, shares a lot of nice freebies on his blog. You can find them here: Freebies ? Blog.SpoonGraphics.

This is an article with information on free icon sets, some of which could work for crafting purposes: 50 Free High-Quality Icon Sets | Smashing Magazine.

And here are some additional resources for free scripture art:

free scripture art Archives - Glo-Girl | Christian Womens Blog Glo-Girl | Christian Womens Blog

Free Printable | Exodus 34:10 Scripture Art | M.B. Strother Designs

Free Scripture Printables - Jellibean Journals

FREE Scripture art download | Life Verse Design Blog

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2014, 12:32 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

First, my deepest sympathies to you on facing this kind of setback at a stressful time.

Second, I am not really a hardware expert, and you may have already considered this, but...

1) Regarding the Desktop, if it was the motherboard or the RAM that failed and not the hard drive, the hard drive can be attached to a healthy computer as a "slave drive" and viewed like any other removable hard drive. (You will need to remove the hard drive from the desktop and connect it to the innards of a healthy computer.)

2) I had a bad crash in 2005. Because I was in an urban area, I was able to find someone on Craig's List who could recover my data for under $200. If you are close to a city, you may be able to find someone to help you for less money.

3) You may have considered this too, but check your web e-mail account for anything you received via e-mail or sent via e-mail. You would be surprised at how many things are sitting in there.

4) Ask friends and family who may have copies of things like pictures and art work to send them to you.

5) Consider writing to the vendors directly to ask them to resend the digital files. They may still have records of your purchases or may simply be willing to help you.

Finally, a few suggestions for free resources:

dafont.com has plenty of beautiful free fonts. Many are even free for commercial purposes.

You can also try Handpicked free fonts for graphic designers with commercial-use licenses. | Font Squirrel.

Even MyFonts: Fonts for Print, Products & Screens and FontShop. The World?s Best Fonts. have some free fonts available.

Look for ornament fonts, which are basically just pictures you can use in your crafting.

Chris Spooner, a professional graphic designer, shares a lot of nice freebies on his blog. You can find them here: Freebies ? Blog.SpoonGraphics.

This is an article with information on free icon sets, some of which could work for crafting purposes: 50 Free High-Quality Icon Sets | Smashing Magazine.

And here are some additional resources for free scripture art:

free scripture art Archives - Glo-Girl | Christian Womens Blog Glo-Girl | Christian Womens Blog

Free Printable | Exodus 34:10 Scripture Art | M.B. Strother Designs

Free Scripture Printables - Jellibean Journals

FREE Scripture art download | Life Verse Design Blog

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2014, 09:31 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

I shopped around for professional data retrieval, it can go into the thousands depending on the amount of data. 700 sounds about right for professional companies. You can find, (as mentioned above), you should be able to find someone locally that does it on the side from maybe their IT jobs. I would even suggest looking on CL as well as, maybe you could post an SOS on CL Computer/electronic for someone that could possibly help you.

Just take caution. Most of the time, you can find honest people, but there are so many crooks out there it's unreal.

Those were some good ideas above.

k.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2014, 10:03 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftsrlbView Post
Hi ladies- I know you have all the answers-
First my desk top was crashing- so I transferred as much as I could onto an external hard drive- that just crashed too! I have lost all my pictures, digital stamps that I bought from mo manning etc..all my clip art, etc. I had the wonderful scripture art that someone on here has posted- and I NEED to get it back. Can anyone direct me to the site of the wonderful woman who shares her scripture art? I can't afford the $700 to try to save any of the data, so I have to start all over again. I guess you have to have your information in 3 spots now- I just learned how to do an external drive- I dont have time to learn all that - that would take away from stamping time lol!
This was a frequent occurrence for me back in college. Now I save on a harddrive, backup on an external and still make sure everything is backed up in the Cloud. Google Drive is super super cheap, and Dropbox just lowered its pricing too. In the end I try not to hold too much importance, I've already lost some very precious pictures and I don't want to dwell on it or I'll start crying.
Take time to do what makes your soul happy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2014, 12:08 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Can I suggest doing a Google search for data retrieval software? There are a number out there which you can purchase, and then do the retrieval yourself. generally, 'lost' is not lost at all, just difficult to access. Some hard drive faults can render everything lost, but not all of them. This search I did came up with a whole host, and a lot cheaper than what an IT tec will charge you, and these are the software tools they will use. You are paying for the time it takes them to do it, and it can take many hours to get it back. My Hubby did it for a friend at work who had just put all their wedding photos onto a hard drive, an hour before it crashed on them! Took about 18 hours, but the program retrieved them all. If I remember correctly, THIS was the one my Hubby used.
Generally, the only truly lost data is on a smashed hard drive- thats how so many paedophiles are caught with stuff on hard drives- they've erased it, written over it, but its still actually there, your pc just can't see it. You don't need any special tech knowledge, just to be able to follow on-screen instructions. Hth.

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 09-08-2014 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: I forgot how to spell, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes