Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-06-2005, 09:34 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help choosing sets

we are getting our tax refund on friday, and i get to spend some $$ on stamps...im a fairly new demo, and don't have many "new" sets, so i was going to order 4-5. problem is...im stumped on what to get...here are the one's im thinking of:

spring gifts (just because i have NO easter sets)
framed greetings
simply sweet
it's a party
pretty princess
espress yourself
travel time
ladybug picnic
cute as a bug
soft swirls
all year cheer 2 (i have 3)
wonderful words
crayon alphabet

i looked in the gallery to see what kinds of ideas have already been thought up...im not much of a flowery person, i like more of the cartoonish, and "fun" or versitale sets. I really like its a party, but doesn't seem that versitale...i was going to pass on simply sweet, but i bookmarked like 30 examples!! what would u do?? i am getting the markers, and the soft subtle pads, because i don't have either...otherwise, i would be able to get more stamps...but those 2 things together are like 200 bucks, so.....i would like to know what u would choose and why

thanks!

steph

stephr119@yahoo.com
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 09:38 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

I personally love Espress Yourself. Wonderful Words is very versatile, and every customer who has seen it loves it.

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 09:59 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Of those on your list, I love Wonderful Words and Soft Swirls. AYC is always good and you might want to consider Elegant Greetings or Cheery Chat, those are both pretty versatile.

Enjoy your new stuff. I can't wait for our tax return... of course, we have to actully do it and file it first, lol.

Stampin' Hugs - Linda T
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 10:05 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

What a hard decision. Those are all great sets!

I would choose Wonderful words for sure! Framed greetings, Espress Yourself, and an alphabet set.

I find that Cute as a bug isn't as versatile as I thought it would be. Have you considered Toy Box to go with that cutie in your avatar?

I have Soft Swirls and I NEVER use it. My favorite b/g stamps are french script, canvas and just jeans.

Have fun! Go with your heart and choose sets that you love.

D.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 10:31 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I really like framed greetings, use it a lot, it is versatile. You can not go wrong with all year cheer and Wonderful words (getting this on my next order). I also think simply sweet would be a versatile choice (it is one at the top of my wish list).

Something I do when I am getting ready to place an order, is to think about what cards I need to make over the next few months. Then I look to see what sets I have and what sets are on my wish list that would satisfy what I need to make. I hope this helps you out

SCS memeber # 27799
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2005, 10:41 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I would definitely go with Wonderful Words! I would not get Cute as a Bug! I have that one and it is cute, but I NEVER use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2005, 02:30 AM   #7  
Kar
Glitter Guru

I wasn't much of a flower person but a lot of my potential customers are, so I had to invest in just a couple of flower sets (In Full Bloom and Terrific Tulips) I have sold both of them at my Open House now too
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2005, 03:25 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLStevens
I would not get Cute as a Bug! I have that one and it is cute, but I NEVER use it.
I agree! It is a really cute set and I've used it a couple of times, but I don't reach for it often. I like Express Yourself, Crayon Alphabet and Toy Box (I don't have this one, but plan on getting it soon)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2005, 04:14 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

wonderful words is a must!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2005, 04:25 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Agree...Wonderful Words is a must! Also like Soft Swirls and Espress yourself. Why don't you consider one of the many great shape sets SU is offering, too? Versatile. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2005, 04:36 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

I love my crayon alphabet, I use it to scrap all the time, the letters are supposed to be crooked, so it is a great alphabet set to learn on. Also use it for cute cards to grandparents and such from the kids, spell out I love you or I miss you in the alphabet and it melts your heart!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2005, 04:43 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I wouldn't buy a special set for Easter, I'd get AYC1 instead. That way you get an Easter stamp, but you also get a lot of other greetings. That gives you more versatility, and you can always make Easter cards with flowers or something else "springy."
I've also got Wonderful Words on my list, and have Soft Swirls and almost never use it. If you want a big BG, I'd do Just Jeans.

JMO

Kate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2005, 04:44 AM   #13  
Failed Lurker

I vote for Simply Circles. I know it doesn't look much and that the catalogue sample is a bit gloomy, but it's soooooo much fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2005, 04:53 AM   #14  
Creative Director - My Favorite Things
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default stamp sets

I think we have similar taste because I have nost of the sets on your list! LOL Out of the list your gave I would choose:\

Wonderful Words
Pretty Princess
Cute as a Bug
All year Cheer 2
Simply Sweet (because you really like it)

Most can be used with markers! No better way to play with your new toys. Have fun and I can't wait until I get my tax refund too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2005, 04:54 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Default Me either

I would not get an easter set. I had a hostess want me to bring stuff for valentines and easter. I used a flower set and AYC and they loved the fact that the set could be used all year round. Same for Cute as a bug. I bought it because I had seen so many samples that I thoguht were cute... but I never used it. I ended up trading it away. Now your background choice... I love my soft swirls...... but I think I would use the canvas, french script or by definition way more. Especially by definition.

I just resigned up in August after taking a 6 month break after having my 3rd child.... but when I first signed up I thought I had to purchase a variety of different styles. And then when it came time to put those sets together I noticed a lot of them didn't coordinate. For instance I would come up with a great scrap book page.... but then realized that the alphabet set I purchased didn't really go with any of my sets. So my advice is get a variety but don't go to drastically different extremes. You don't have to have a stamp set for everyone's taste. If you love it then they will love what you come up with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2005, 05:22 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

For Easter, I'd get a floral set and AYC 1, which includes a Happy Easter stamp (or you can get Never Ending Joy from the new Spring Mini). You can get Terrific Tulips, Spring Garden, In Full Bloom, Watercolor Garden I, WC Garden 2 (I have them all and love them!).

The flowers are good all year round and if you get AYC I you can make them go with most any occasion!

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2005, 06:22 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Love your list. I would personally get one versatile background stamp like just jeans, canvas or french script. Then I would get another set that can be used for male cards or for projects. I would then purchase a fun set cute as a bug. I would then purchase a word set like wonderful words (love this set! Already purchased WWII!) I would try and purchase versatile sets in each catagory, so that you will always have something to use with newer sets. Just my opinion. Have fun choosing!

Theresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2005, 06:57 AM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

All your sets sound good. They are all cute.

I do agree get a flower set and AYC I didn't sell the particular Christmas sets I thought would be so great, Frosty was the big hit! If you want a bunny get Forest Friends or Drawing on Nature from in the Spring Mini. Then you get more than one animal stamp, and can promote the spring mini.

I love Wonderful Words 1 and don't forget Wonderful Words 2. I bought Bold Basics, I've used it for several hoilday cards. Works great with ink or versamark for background effects. Whatever you do buy remember you need to like it, as well as it having appeal for your customers. I always stop and ask how will I use this set? What can I do with it on my own pages, cards, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2005, 09:26 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

WOW!! ask, and u shall receive! LOL...thanks everyone for your input.... i had forgotten about canvas...what catty is that in?? so far im DEFINATELY gonna go with wonderful words, (and probably the one out of the spring catty too, im already gonna get when i grow up out of there too) all year cheer 2, simply sweet, i loved the suggestion of toy box, and i do already have that set...that's actually why i was contemplating pretty princess because i have sets for boys, but none really for girls. and definately simply sweet too....im having a hard time deciding between love swirls, canvas, and just jeans. l have seen a lot of examples in the gallery for love swirls that goes with a lot of the sets i already have, but i can't find canvas, so im not sure about that one. is there a set i might be forgetting that is a must have??

steph

stephr119@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2005, 10:03 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

your list sounds pretty good to me. i read in one of the posts that you are going to buy the markers--- like the whole set? i would just use the ink pads to color with a blender pen and build up your stamp collection first. but that's just me!!!

also, since you are a new demo i would get some stampin around wheels--- they are sooo cheap and so easy to demo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2005, 10:04 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

oh yeah--- and one of the new wheel guides--- they are sooooo fabulous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2005, 10:11 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

I like Express Yourself.......No, I changed my mind - I LOVE it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2005, 11:52 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

yes, im getting the whole set of markers...it seems a tad outrageous, but i do a LOT of coloring...i like the brightness of markers more than the chalks or pencils....and it's nice to have matching colors for everything. I am a new DEMO, but i have been stamping for about 4-5 years, so i have quite a collection....i have quite a few sets in the new catty, but they are ones that have been in the catty for a long long time, like frosty, and on the beach....usually when i order, i just stock up on paper and supplies, but since i get to spend some of my taxes on me this year, i thought i should get some sets i have been wanting before all the $$ is gone!! I have a ton of wheels, but just dont seem to use them that much. anyway, keep the ideas coming, i have until friday to decide for sure! If i don't send in an order right away, i'll end up putting it off too long to get anything!

steph

stephr119@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Likes