Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-24-2006, 11:13 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Need help with card!

Help! I've made this card with one of my new stamps and I'm stuck...the piece of pumpkin is not attached to the artichoke...it's two pieces right now.

I'm having a hard time coming up with ideas...I have the eyelets and ribbon (which says welcome fall...not sure how well it came through in the scan), but nothing else.

Any ideas? I have some hemp, but I wasn't sure if that would be too much with the other ribbon on the bottom?

I'm stuck!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-24-2006, 11:14 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Uh, it might help if I gave you the card! Duh!

Last edited by sassyat30; 09-22-2007 at 06:13 AM..
Old 09-24-2006, 11:28 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ok, it is really hard to advise without seeing the pumpkin! However, I think this card would be awesome if you made it into a square instead of a rectangle. Trim the bottom layer to make it another square layer. Mount that on a square card that matches the paper on which the leaf it stamped. I can see a bit of hemp tied around the ribbon with a tiny tag (A - Z accent, for example, or just free hand cut) that says "fall" or something similar. HTH
Old 09-24-2006, 11:30 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
Ok, it is really hard to advise without seeing the pumpkin! However, I think this card would be awesome if you made it into a square instead of a rectangle. Trim the bottom layer to make it another square layer. Mount that on a square card that matches the paper on which the leaf it stamped. I can see a bit of hemp tied around the ribbon with a tiny tag (A - Z accent, for example, or just free hand cut) that says "fall" or something similar. HTH
Joan, I think you misunderstood me...the pumpkin layer is the one you see in the picture...it just isn't attached to the artichoke...sorry for the confusion!

So, I should get rid of the ribbon on the bottom altogether?
Old 09-24-2006, 11:31 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

But, I don't have any square envies...LOL How would I mail it??
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2006, 11:33 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I think Joan is saying make it a square card and tie a piece of hemp *around* that ribbon that's already there. If you didn't want to cut it back to a square card, I could see moving the stamped image to the right and putting ribbon to the left, vertically. Hope that makes sense?
Old 09-24-2006, 11:35 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherristampsalot
I think Joan is saying make it a square card and tie a piece of hemp *around* that ribbon that's already there. If you didn't want to cut it back to a square card, I could see moving the stamped image to the right and putting ribbon to the left, vertically. Hope that makes sense?
This is intruiging to me...I've never made a square card before....I'm a strictly "in the box" type of stamper! lol

Hmm, may have to do some chopping!
Old 09-24-2006, 12:19 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Do you mean something like this? I just cropped it so it looked square, I haven't actually cut anything yet!

Last edited by sassyat30; 09-22-2007 at 06:13 AM..
Old 09-24-2006, 12:32 PM   #9  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I have made a square envelope by cutting a square just slightly bigger the the card, and 4 circles (all from CS)- the diameter is the same as a side of the square. Fold each circle in half and glue to the square. To seal fold in the 4 half circles like folding a box to seal it, so each overlaps the next.KWIM? If you want to get tricky, you can do the overlap on both the glued side and the other, but it's trickier. HTH
My Facebook Page
Old 09-24-2006, 12:47 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes! That's what I meant. I just think the layout detracted from an otherwise great card. Either go square entirely or move it over -- I think centering a square image on a rectangle card is tricky.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:48 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

I like it as a square!
Old 09-24-2006, 12:51 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Just make it a 4 1/4" square, and mail it in a regular card sized envelope... that's what I do all the time, then I don't have to pay the extra postage for a square card!
Old 09-24-2006, 12:53 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Okay! I guess square it is! lol Once my pound cake is done, I'm gonna go finish up stamping...

I'll upload it when I'm finished.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:55 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassyat30
Do you mean something like this? I just cropped it so it looked square, I haven't actually cut anything yet!
Perfect! How about tying a little shrinky dink leaf charm with piece of cord from one of the eyelets just to add an embellishment. Do you think that is over-kill?
Old 09-24-2006, 12:59 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by blizlady
Perfect! How about tying a little shrinky dink leaf charm with piece of cord from one of the eyelets just to add an embellishment. Do you think that is over-kill?
No, I think what I may do is tie a little tag with "fall" on it from the eyelet with hemp....sound good?
Old 09-24-2006, 01:00 PM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Also, how about wrapping up that pound cake in a pretty cello wrap, adding the carding, and then sending them to me! Sounds yummy & looks beautiful!

Robyn

My Gallery
Old 09-24-2006, 01:00 PM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Edit: "card" not "carding"

My Gallery
Old 09-24-2006, 01:01 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by robynstamps
Also, how about wrapping up that pound cake in a pretty cello wrap, adding the carding, and then sending them to me! Sounds yummy & looks beautiful!

Robyn
It depends on what it tastes like...ROFL. I've never made the recipe before, so we'll see how it turns out!
Old 09-24-2006, 01:14 PM   #19  
Glitter Guru

I'll be the taste tester for you - I love pound cake!!!
Old 09-24-2006, 01:58 PM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

It depends on what it tastes like...ROFL. I've never made the recipe before, so we'll see how it turns out!
I would just add some strawberries and lots of whipped cream. YUMMY!!

Robyn

My Gallery
Old 09-24-2006, 01:58 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Well I'm just stupid...I was looking for a pumpkin and an artichoke! I read every reply thinking...how do they know what the pumpkin looks like? Do I have an artichoke stamp?
Old 09-24-2006, 03:11 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by karla56
Well I'm just stupid...I was looking for a pumpkin and an artichoke! I read every reply thinking...how do they know what the pumpkin looks like? Do I have an artichoke stamp?
LOL...sorry, I meant always artichoke paper and pumpkin pie paper!
Old 09-24-2006, 03:25 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

I like the idea of the square card, that would be cute. I think the thing that was bugging me about it was the inconsistent space around the smaller layer. Too much room on two of the sides and it didn't coordinate with the other two sides so making it square does fix that. Another option would be to turn the base card (to make it open "book style" instead of "memo pad" style--I just made those up but hopefully it makes sense) and leave the pumpkin layer the way it is so it's about equidistant from the top and the sides but there is considerably more space at the bottom, then stamp a greeting a little bit offset (toward the side that opens rather than completely centered) in the larger space below. Then maybe leave the ribbon as is or take the hemp/twine and wrap it around the bottom of the top layer a time or two.

Not sure if that makes sense or not but I often use the square design for a top layer and then have the layout of the bottom or base of the card as described above. Usually always looks better with a bit of ribbon or sometimes I just take a little snatch of gingham or grosgrain and fold it back on itself then staple or attach with a brad as a little embellishment. Unfortunately for me (or maybe fortunately) I have a friend who has an excellent design sense, or sense of style if you will and whenever I ask her, "hmm, this card still needs a little something, what do you think it needs? her answer is invariably, "it needs a bow". Now, I don't do bows that well so I struggled with that for a long time but more often than not, she was right. Being bow impaired is hard (they just never quite "look right") but I can tie knots so I often do that with grosgrain instead of trying to make a bow or use the "no tie" bow" (as opposed to no taebo...which I also advocate!) where you punch two small holes or slots side by side and then thread the ribbon thru from the front, cross them over on the back and bring them back up thru the opposite holes. This gives a nice bow effect without having to tie a bow. Jan
Old 09-24-2006, 03:31 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkerzaway
I like the idea of the square card, that would be cute. I think the thing that was bugging me about it was the inconsistent space around the smaller layer. Too much room on two of the sides and it didn't coordinate with the other two sides so making it square does fix that. Another option would be to turn the base card (to make it open "book style" instead of "memo pad" style--I just made those up but hopefully it makes sense) and leave the pumpkin layer the way it is so it's about equidistant from the top and the sides but there is considerably more space at the bottom, then stamp a greeting a little bit offset (toward the side that opens rather than completely centered) in the larger space below. Then maybe leave the ribbon as is or take the hemp/twine and wrap it around the bottom of the top layer a time or two.

Not sure if that makes sense or not but I often use the square design for a top layer and then have the layout of the bottom or base of the card as described above. Usually always looks better with a bit of ribbon or sometimes I just take a little snatch of gingham or grosgrain and fold it back on itself then staple or attach with a brad as a little embellishment. Unfortunately for me (or maybe fortunately) I have a friend who has an excellent design sense, or sense of style if you will and whenever I ask her, "hmm, this card still needs a little something, what do you think it needs? her answer is invariably, "it needs a bow". Now, I don't do bows that well so I struggled with that for a long time but more often than not, she was right. Being bow impaired is hard (they just never quite "look right") but I can tie knots so I often do that with grosgrain instead of trying to make a bow or use the "no tie" bow" (as opposed to no taebo...which I also advocate!) where you punch two small holes or slots side by side and then thread the ribbon thru from the front, cross them over on the back and bring them back up thru the opposite holes. This gives a nice bow effect without having to tie a bow. Jan
Thanks Jan! I understood everything you were saying perfectly. Actually, SU makes a punch for making ribbons just like you described above!
Old 09-24-2006, 03:32 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Thanks Jan! I understood everything you were saying perfectly. Actually, SU makes a punch for making ribbons just like you described above!
Sorry, I meant to say "bows", not ribbons...