Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-19-2007, 03:18 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice for stamping+travel

Hi ladies. I need some advice from the experts here at SCS! I'll try to keep this as short as possible:

My husband is retiring from the Navy after 28 years, and we have purchased a trailer to tour the country for several months, before we decide where we'll settle. My dilemma is this: I need to decide what stamping stuff to take with us - we'll be packed up on February 5th and so everything must be ready by then. The trailer is large by RV standards (kinda scary for me, as I have to learn how to drive it too ), but not compared to having an entire room of stamping supplies to myself! I have been "allowed" three plastic drawer-type containers, large enough to hold 12x12 cardstock, but not too tall - maybe 8 inches or so. I want to scrapbook our trip while we're traveling, and so will need to bring my photo printer, etc., but I can't figure out how to decide what all I'll need. I have room for all my markers, stamp pads and refills, but obviously for space reasons I can't bring all my stamp sets, wheels, cardstock, embellishments, etc. I'll also need to make cards while we're on the road - it'll probably be a stress reliever and prevent me from killing my DH after spending every waking minute together!

Has anyone had experience doing this before? Any suggestions, ideas, or sage advice to offer? Anything you guys can come up with will be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Vicki
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 03:26 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think you should get a little trailer to haul all your stuff!! ha ha ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 03:39 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Is there someone that can "ship" you stuff to one of your stops if you so happen to need something?

I would definatley recommend your most versitle sets and your favorite alphabet!

I'm pretty sure I shut my blog down til further notice! Perhaps forever!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 04:11 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJStamper
I think you should get a little trailer to haul all your stuff!! ha ha ...
My upline suggested the same thing! She said I should have a little trailer filled with stamps and shoes - my two biggest weaknesses!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 04:51 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Will you have time to stamp some images before you go? If you do I'd stamp a bunch of them and take those. You can always do the coloring while you're on the road. Then take just a few of your favorite sets with you! Sounds like it will be a lot of fun. I'm sure you'll enjoy yourselves!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 05:51 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Yes, I'd planned to do a little of that before we go - I just know that several months on the road will seem like a loooong time, and I guess I'm just having a panic attack at the thought of forgetting something crucial!

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 06:41 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

and I'm sure you'll find some great craft stores while you're on your travels. It would be churlish not to stop and look........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 05:56 PM   #8  
Inking Addict

Actually, if you know your travel route, you could find out from others on this site if there are any scrap/stamping stores along the way you MUST stop at and then get some souvenirs to replenish or replace what you forgot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 06:03 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Firstly, how much fun that your husband and you get to travel the country and congrats on his 28 years of naval service.

I would think that there would always be a scrapbook store available to pick up those extras. But, I would take your most used stamps and your basic supplies

So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 06:15 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Scissors, adhesives (glue, tape, glue dots, pop dots), cutter(s), white gel pen, stamp cleaner stuff, crop a dile or hole punch, brads, HHH, blender pens, aquapainters

Pack of vanilla or whisper white. One or two assorted packs in each family that you love.

Envelopes!

Hmmm. What else?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 06:34 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

I would bring very versatile stamp sets. You will probably be making birthday cards, so you might want to think about bringing sets that have a birthday theme. I would go ahead and score the cardstock and make wheel or stamp backgrounds on them and then you'll have that step done already.

I would certainly bring a cutter, scissors, adhesives, hole punch, brads, ribbon, images, simple scrappin kits (makes life easier), white gel pen, versamark, stazon, stampin' scrub and mist. I would also invest in some archival mist (if you don't already have some). You spray it on your postcards and other souveniers (sp?) to make them acid free and safe for your scrapbook.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 06:39 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ribbon! How could I have forgotten ribbon? <smacks head>

I'd say Sincere Salutations would cover you for sentiments. One or two flower sets (glad *you* have to choose! not me), and 4-6 sets that you think you'll want the most.

And then hide a few more in your clothes. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 08:31 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

You may want to consider investing in the spots if you don't have them -- I use them instead of the full size pads and they would save you a lot of space. Any interest in experimenting and unmounting several of your favorite sets? You could bring quite a few um stamps and a set of acrylic blocks in the space you have. If you don't quite have everything you need to finish a scrapbook page, at least the journaling will be fresh and you can keep notes of the embellishments you will want to add later. Hopy you and your husband have a great trip. good luck navigating the RV!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 08:48 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I don't have a whole lot of advice for you but am terribly jealous! What an adventure you will have! I wish my DH and I could do something like that someday when the nest is empty! My thought was wondering if you'd have internet access, and could come to SCS and say "Our next stop will be ________ and I'd really love to use _____________ stamp set! Anyone want to meet up with me?" You'd get to meet a lot of SCS'ers along the way, too and that can't be anything but FUN! Have a safe and wonderful trip!

I know not what this day holds....but I know Who holds the day!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2007, 11:17 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Default You guys are awesome!

Thanks so much for the great ideas and kind words! We're really looking forward to the trip, and have been planning our itinerary. The poster above who suggested hiding some stamp sets in my clothes must be my alter ego - I just had that very same thought this weekend while packing!

Thank you for the great ideas and support. I'll have internet access, so the idea of getting locations of craft stores along the way from SCSers is a great one!

Aloha!

Vicki
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2007, 01:26 PM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicki Paulus
Hi ladies. I need some advice from the experts here at SCS! I'll try to keep this as short as possible:

My husband is retiring from the Navy after 28 years, and we have purchased a trailer to tour the country for several months, before we decide where we'll settle. My dilemma is this: I need to decide what stamping stuff to take with us - we'll be packed up on February 5th and so everything must be ready by then. The trailer is large by RV standards (kinda scary for me, as I have to learn how to drive it too ), but not compared to having an entire room of stamping supplies to myself! I have been "allowed" three plastic drawer-type containers, large enough to hold 12x12 cardstock, but not too tall - maybe 8 inches or so. I want to scrapbook our trip while we're traveling, and so will need to bring my photo printer, etc., but I can't figure out how to decide what all I'll need. I have room for all my markers, stamp pads and refills, but obviously for space reasons I can't bring all my stamp sets, wheels, cardstock, embellishments, etc. I'll also need to make cards while we're on the road - it'll probably be a stress reliever and prevent me from killing my DH after spending every waking minute together!

Has anyone had experience doing this before? Any suggestions, ideas, or sage advice to offer? Anything you guys can come up with will be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Vicki

Vicki, Dh and I travel sometime for 2 to 3 weeks at a time.

We have a truck camper and I take along my rolling cart. This hold cardstock, paper trimmer,
Ink pads, Embellishments, 10 Stamp set or more depending on what else I am taking.
My tools. some punches. Catalogs and paper work. I try to take enough stuff with me.. so that I don't run out.

I usually store it under the dinning room table. Where it's out of the way until I get it out for stamping.

I would think that in a closet that you would find enough room to stash your stamping supplies.

Dh and I also pull a small trailer with us this hold our bike and extra clothes, our screen tent, Charcoal and some Firewood. It will hold more. But right now this all we have in it right now.

We are getting ready for a 3 week trip to Southern IL, GA, and Fl.

You can see pictures of our Camper here at
Http://picturetrail.com/stampingjean
Look under Trip to South Dakota.
Reply With Quote Likes