Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   My garage sale find.... (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/my-garage-sale-find-157259/)

Knutsen24 06-23-2006 02:17 PM

My garage sale find....

I was on Craig's list last night looking for stamps (I know, I have a problem!) and saw that there was going to be a garage sale today near my house that had some Stampin' Up sets. So I got up bright and early, got all three of my little girls ready and was out the door by 7:50 this morning. The lady had lots of sets for sale as well as lots of plastic storage containers. I bought as much stuff as I could get for $50. One of the sets that I picked up is Terrific Tulips. I think that it's a beautiful set, however, I'm pretty intimidated by it and am not sure how to use it.:confused: Any tips?

Kathyc 06-23-2006 02:22 PM

Wow, lucky you! I don't have the Tulips set but I've seen some beautiful samples; just check out the gallery for that set!

Batavia-Soprano 06-23-2006 02:24 PM

Yes - check out the gallery - I have that set and I am a neophyte and I have done a great job on several cards! You can do it! Wish that I had been there shopping with you.

terylz 06-23-2006 03:08 PM

Terrific Tulips is the easiest two step set there is--very forgiving. It looks great when things aren't lined up and the stems aren't on the same stamp as the blossom.
You'll do great. And like the other posters said, there are some great examples in the gallery under Terrific Tulips. Have FUN with that set. It really is a classic. I wouldn't trade mine for just about anything. (hehe)

Another pointer I just thought of:
try stamping off once for the 1st layer, then stamp full ink strength in the same color for the top layer. Hopefully that makes sense. You'll always be color coordinated.

WendyBendy 06-23-2006 04:18 PM

Wow, I never find anything that great at a garage sale :( Lucky you!!

nabush 06-23-2006 04:21 PM

I found an unmounted set of Little Love for $3 at a garage sale, and I had wanted it!

Nancy

JudyKruger 06-23-2006 04:28 PM

Gee...you are lucky. I went to a garage sale last Saturday and they had nothing I wanted.

MilwaukeeMommy 06-23-2006 06:11 PM

Every time I see a garage sale that has stamps advertised in the paper, I get there too late. Apparently the stampers/scrappers by me are VICIOUS --& will get to a sale an hour early so they can buy EVERYTHING!! 2 weeks ago I went to a sale that started at 8, I couldn't get there until 9 & all that was left was some storage containers (which I bought, of course). She said it was all gone by 8:15.

They've caught on, darn it!!!!! LOL!!

texasjodylynn 06-23-2006 06:23 PM

I went to a yard sale on a military base and found 4 wheels. I grabbed them immediately not even caring which ones they were since they were marked $.50 each. She asked if I was a stamper and I said "OH YEAH!" So she tells me to wait so she can pull out the rest of the stuff she was selling. I of course waited... she came down and another lady jumped on her practically and started looking. I blurted out, "HOW MUCH FOR ALL OF IT?" LOL She told me the price and I said, I'll take it! LOL The other lady wasn't real pleased, but afterall she went and got it for me. Then, she told me of some bags and more stuff, so again, I waited. It was 2 CM memories bags. One that sells for $52 and one that sells for $32. They were full of stuff, that I said I would take also. I got 7 stamp sets (including an unmounted BOW WOW), a new heat gun, brand new watercolor pencils, 2 versamark pads, 4 wheels, vellum, 12 X 12 CS, both CM bags, plus more for.... ready for it?.....

$50

It was SO fun and I had such an adrenaline rush over it. LOL She just wanted to get rid of it and of course I was glad to take it. She named the price and I was ALL OVER IT! LOL When I got home, I made a list of everything I had gotten and it's retail. It all came out to $420! :) That was my only time ever seeing Stampin Up at a yard sale and I am SO ready to do it again. LOL

abcima 06-23-2006 07:34 PM

What a great story, Jody! Congrats on a great find!

Bonnie

momof3girls 06-23-2006 08:35 PM

I found my SU Chicken Wire bkgrd stamp at a yard sale for $8! I was so excited I was dancing around, everyone thought I was NUTS!

speanburg4 06-23-2006 08:52 PM

I think I was at the same yard sale this morning. Which is funny because I never go to yard sales, and I had never been to craigslist until this morning. I finally found Filigree($8 ), Birthday Greetings($10, not the background, the big phrase set), Yuletide Montage($10), Hope Is ($5), and Easter Egg($8 ). Then she threw in Cool Jumbo wheel for free! I was so excited. I didn't get there until 10:30, so who knows all the goodies I missed.

kiraj 06-23-2006 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momof3girls
I found my SU Chicken Wire bkgrd stamp at a yard sale for $8! I was so excited I was dancing around, everyone thought I was NUTS!

WOW! That lady must not have realized that she was sitting on pure gold!

Batavia-Soprano 06-23-2006 09:08 PM

I have never been to a garage sale that has had anything like this - you guys are so lucky!

momof3girls 06-23-2006 10:16 PM

Well....I tell ya, I usually do not get so lucky...lol. Seems on the trade board I am always a day late and a dollar short on all the sets I am looking for! It was definately my time for a little luck :) Keep searching ladies, you never know what you will find at those garage sales!

TNnative 06-24-2006 04:57 AM

Craig's List?:confused:

nsruss 06-24-2006 05:17 AM

Wow! I wish I could find a garage sale like that! I don't think I've seen too many crafting supplies at any of the sales I've been too. I keep trying though. ;)

paprluvr 06-24-2006 05:53 AM

One of the cutest ways I ever saw Terrific Tulips used was the blossoms were stamped in orange upside down, grouped together without the stems to make a pile of pumpkins. Then pumpkin stems/curlies were hand drawn on. Who thinks these things up?!? I loved it!

lynnewithane 06-24-2006 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasjodylynn
I went to a yard sale on a military base and found 4 wheels. I grabbed them immediately not even caring which ones they were since they were marked $.50 each. She asked if I was a stamper and I said "OH YEAH!" So she tells me to wait so she can pull out the rest of the stuff she was selling. I of course waited... she came down and another lady jumped on her practically and started looking. I blurted out, "HOW MUCH FOR ALL OF IT?" LOL She told me the price and I said, I'll take it! LOL The other lady wasn't real pleased, but afterall she went and got it for me. Then, she told me of some bags and more stuff, so again, I waited. It was 2 CM memories bags. One that sells for $52 and one that sells for $32. They were full of stuff, that I said I would take also. I got 7 stamp sets (including an unmounted BOW WOW), a new heat gun, brand new watercolor pencils, 2 versamark pads, 4 wheels, vellum, 12 X 12 CS, both CM bags, plus more for.... ready for it?.....

$50

It was SO fun and I had such an adrenaline rush over it. LOL She just wanted to get rid of it and of course I was glad to take it. She named the price and I was ALL OVER IT! LOL When I got home, I made a list of everything I had gotten and it's retail. It all came out to $420! :) That was my only time ever seeing Stampin Up at a yard sale and I am SO ready to do it again. LOL

This is amazing! Doesn't it make you wonder why she was getting rid of everything? Do you really give up stamping as a hobby cold turkey? I just keep spending more and more. Maybe it was part of her 12 step program.

I've never found stamp supplies at a garage sale, but I guess I never really looked. I spend enough on new supplies. My demo often sells off her retired stuff at her catalog unveiling. I'll have to see what kind of deals I can get. At least I'm not paying shipping that way!

juliepulie35 06-24-2006 07:47 AM

Craigs list is an classifed ads site. Do a google search and it should come up. Then you pick your town and then what you are looking for. Don't know about the rest of y'all but here in Austin people think their junk is worth a lot!!

J-Bo 06-24-2006 11:01 AM

I am so envious of you lucky ladies. I have never found any stampin supplies at garage sales :(
But hey, I will keep looking! lol.

Knutsen24 06-24-2006 11:08 AM

Thanks for all the great stories you guys! I'm getting excited all over again and want to go back out there and find some more garage sales lol.

janny3 06-24-2006 11:21 AM

Lucky you, what a terrific find!

glo24 06-24-2006 01:21 PM

why can't I find things like that at garage sales? maybe I live in the wrong state ...

valeriecathleen 06-24-2006 01:49 PM

I found Meow Meow and Herb Garden at a flea market and when I asked the guy how much he wanted he said...."Eh, a buck a piece.". My hand was shaking as I handed him the $2! I asked if he had anything else, and unfortunatly he didn't.

I am not a cat person but I knew what I had in my hand. Meow Meow had been retired (this was before SU had that great promotion where you could buy a different retired set every month for a year) and I made $42 on ebay for it.

MLYates 06-24-2006 03:02 PM

Hey, next time I have a garage sale, I'm inviting you ladies!

lynnewithane 06-24-2006 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by valeriecathleen
I found Meow Meow and Herb Garden at a flea market and when I asked the guy how much he wanted he said...."Eh, a buck a piece.". My hand was shaking as I handed him the $2! I asked if he had anything else, and unfortunatly he didn't.

I am not a cat person but I knew what I had in my hand. Meow Meow had been retired (this was before SU had that great promotion where you could buy a different retired set every month for a year) and I made $42 on ebay for it.

I've been stamping for a while now, and I never heard about that promotion. When did that happen?

I guess I didn't know about the website, and how things worked when I first started. I would think the company was able to get rid of a lot of old inventory with that promotion. Pretty smart.

Vee 06-24-2006 05:31 PM

Sadly enough ther is a demo on the other side whose mom accidently sold a box of her stamps at a garage sale for $50. She was gonna sell them on ebay for way more......SHe is just sick but kind to her mom over it.

Kerilou 06-25-2006 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vee
Sadly enough ther is a demo on the other side whose mom accidently sold a box of her stamps at a garage sale for $50. She was gonna sell them on ebay for way more......SHe is just sick but kind to her mom over it.

Oh, wow...I am speechless...:(

valeriecathleen 06-25-2006 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithane
I've been stamping for a while now, and I never heard about that promotion. When did that happen?

I guess I didn't know about the website, and how things worked when I first started. I would think the company was able to get rid of a lot of old inventory with that promotion. Pretty smart.

It was probably 3 or maybe 4 years ago. SU was celebrating a milestone - like 20 years of business or something like that. Every month that year they offered a retired set that people were still requesting. I remember Meow Meow, Dragons and Dreams, and Stella Stamper were some of the offerings. Does anyone remember anything else?

Kris McGinn 06-25-2006 12:46 PM

Terrific Tulips is my favorite set - I always reach for it before any others. It's the easiest two-step set there is. I love the idea of using the same color and stamping off for the first color - I'll have to try that! You'll love it - it's a classic.

shayks 06-25-2006 04:42 PM

I remember they offered a retired American flag set - only one stamp in that set. I just started stamping that year.