Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   my DH saw me using my ribbon iron! LOL! And now... (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/my-dh-saw-me-using-my-ribbon-iron-lol-now-491067/)

JenWI409 05-13-2010 11:40 AM

my DH saw me using my ribbon iron! LOL! And now...

he's convinced I own absolutely every tool I could possibly need, because the idea of needing a ribbon iron is crazy. LOL!

i love my ribbon iron. I got it on craftysteals.com for a great price with some ribbon and it's way more convienent than going upstairs to turn on my iron and iron a short piece of ribbon. :)

UnderstandBlue 05-13-2010 11:53 AM

HA - I've never even HEARD of a ribbon iron!

WallyAgain 05-13-2010 12:10 PM

Saw an idea somewhere that I love. I use my hair straightener, set it to low heat, works like a charm.

lutheran 05-13-2010 01:17 PM

My ribbon iron has never been out of the package, about three years. I took it to a crop one night and offered for anyone to use it if they want to try it and they all looked at me like I was nuts.
Mary Beth

geogymnast82 05-13-2010 01:29 PM

My DH does woodworking for hobby stuff, so he doesn't really make a peep about any new tools I get. He use to try to, but I'd just throw his comment of "well, the job goes better if you have the right tool for the job" back at him for all those times when I'd ask him what his new tool toy was. And, there's been more than a few times when he's asked me to pull out my tools to make something for him for scouts or work.

I don't have a ribbon iron (never really heard of them), but I do have one of those little stick irons that have a little pointy foot on them for getting into pointy corners of quilt seams. I didn't get it for my quilting as much as I did for other projects where my regular iron was just too big. You just need to tell your DH that you just have the right tool for the job!

joyfullyhis 05-13-2010 02:58 PM

LOL - that's great!!! My friends come over to look at my stamp room and once their jaw has dropped about 10 inches they say, "Wow - you have everything you could ever need!!" It helps me to be content with what I have ;)

joyfullyhis 05-13-2010 02:59 PM

Oh btw I've never heard of a ribbon iron either!! Maybe I'll have to go check one out...... :D jk - I'd never use it!!

btanc14 05-13-2010 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WallyAgain (Post 16679617)
Saw an idea somewhere that I love. I use my hair straightener, set it to low heat, works like a charm.

I'm so glad you mentioned this. I was wondering if a hair straightener would do the same thing. Mine has only one heat setting, though, so I wonder if it would damage the ribbon or iron? It wasn't a cheap straightener, so I'm not sure I want to try it out :)

hollylogic 05-13-2010 04:02 PM

I was just thinking the other day that I needed a ribbon iron. . . ..

mitzi 05-13-2010 04:41 PM

lol....I won't dare buy clothes that might need ironed so this one is beyond me, but i love the story!!!

ThatGirl 05-13-2010 05:02 PM

I got one as a gift. I just used it last week and it was awesome.

SuG 05-13-2010 05:21 PM

if i got one and got caught using it my family might realize i do know how to iron !

JenWI409 05-13-2010 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogymnast82 (Post 16680015)
My DH does woodworking for hobby stuff, so he doesn't really make a peep about any new tools I get. He use to try to, but I'd just throw his comment of "well, the job goes better if you have the right tool for the job" back at him for all those times when I'd ask him what his new tool toy was. And, there's been more than a few times when he's asked me to pull out my tools to make something for him for scouts or work.

I don't have a ribbon iron (never really heard of them), but I do have one of those little stick irons that have a little pointy foot on them for getting into pointy corners of quilt seams. I didn't get it for my quilting as much as I did for other projects where my regular iron was just too big. You just need to tell your DH that you just have the right tool for the job!

That was TOTALLY my line, and he wasn't upset at all. He just thought it was a crazy tool to have! LOL I know my regular iron could do the job just fine, this is just much more convienent for me. :)

Karenwhite 05-13-2010 06:18 PM

I use my tiny clover iron for my ribbons.

vanislandwoman 05-13-2010 08:52 PM

You iron clover? I didn't realize that it gets wrinkly...do the lepracauns demand smooth clover?

SilverDragoness 05-13-2010 10:23 PM

Hey you're using it. That's much better than purchasing things and not using them. Not that I would know about doing anything like that. >.>

Karenwhite 05-13-2010 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vanislandwoman (Post 16682880)
You iron clover? I didn't realize that it gets wrinkly...do the lepracauns demand smooth clover?

Lol, I love your sense of humour. No, it look somewhat like a soldering iron but with a triangular shape head about 1 inch wide and 1 inch tall. i.e. tiny.
Clover is the name of the company that makes it and I am sorry I didn't capitalise the C; most people who have them just call them clover irons.

Really useful for ironing ribbons and other thin things.

BTW I own five irons of various types. I love ironing and find it relaxing and soothing. I love the crispness look of the finished item as well. But hey, that's just me ...

LateBlossom 05-14-2010 04:23 AM

This is an excellent argument for either A) leaving your craft area a complete mess that defies examination, or B) keeping everything tucked away neatly in drawers with obscure labels so DH can't see how much you have. I tend to use B, but all my PTI sets are in three cd holders on top of my drawers holding WM stamps. THREE FULL CD HOLDERS out for him to see! He's not noticed yet, but it's just a matter of time, esp since I need to start a fourth one.... *wink*

casslarson 05-14-2010 08:11 AM

I too use a hair straightner -- I bought a mini, purse size one at Ulta with a case that's perfect for my stamp room.
It also has only one heat setting - hot - but move the ribbon quickly and there's not a problem (for organza ribbons) and not issues really with the other types.

Karen Trueman 05-14-2010 08:28 AM

I don't have a hair straightener, but I have a curling iron. I've used that before and it works great. Think about recycling ribbon that's been used before on a package and is crinkled where it was tied. I save all real ribbon from gifts.

mayjoynstamp 05-14-2010 09:02 AM

I've always wanted one of those cute little irons too.....! You can also use them for ironing stuff for fabric quilting too!:D But then , my regular iron is just gathering dust..... ( I just don't know how to use it!):rolleyes:

Good idea!

I also have a curling iron that hasn't been used for a long time..... time to move it down to my craft room! And I don't even need a mirror to use it! Haha!

Lazorkay 05-14-2010 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karenwhite (Post 16682947)
Lol, I love your sense of humour. No, it look somewhat like a soldering iron but with a triangular shape head about 1 inch wide and 1 inch tall. i.e. tiny.
Clover is the name of the company that makes it and I am sorry I didn't capitalise the C; most people who have them just call them clover irons.

Really useful for ironing ribbons and other thin things.

BTW I own five irons of various types. I love ironing and find it relaxing and soothing. I love the crispness look of the finished item as well. But hey, that's just me ...

Please come to my house - I have lots that need ironing. :rolleyes:

ILdyson76 05-14-2010 09:24 AM

I love my ribbon iron! I don't use it that much, but when I need it, it does get those kinks and creases out perfectly! I've seen where you can heat emboss with it too. Haven't tried that though.

I save ribbons off packages too. That's what I use the iron for mostly. As long as you are putting it to use, it's worth the investment! They are fairly inexpensive also.

btanc14 05-14-2010 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen Trueman (Post 16684618)
Think about recycling ribbon that's been used before on a package and is crinkled where it was tied. I save all real ribbon from gifts.

Lol! I also save ribbon from gifts! You can get some good ribbon that way! I also save and re-use the tissue paper :)

Chautona 05-14-2010 03:37 PM

curling iron works too... just pull it against the edge of the clamp and it comes out nice and straight.

I've only had to iron once, so I thought that was sufficient.

cardmaker2 05-14-2010 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WallyAgain (Post 16679617)

Me too, only there's no setting--it's an older cheap model. So I just pull the ribbon through quickly. Works great! Why by a tool when something else will do the job?!

And it even works when you have scrounged ribbon from tied up boxes used for wedding favors. And for ribbons tied around big candles. And ribbons used to adorn bath gift sets. Ask me how I know... :)

barb smith 05-14-2010 05:58 PM

I just use the heat from my lightbulb in my desk lamp. Just hold both ends and run it back and forth. Works like a charm

contrapat 05-14-2010 06:00 PM

OMG! I had to go look and see.....what a nifty little toy!

For anyone else who wants to see, look here:
http://store.scrapbooking-warehouse.com/327569.html

cardmaker2 05-14-2010 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barb smith (Post 16687458)
I just use the heat from my lightbulb in my desk lamp. Just hold both ends and run it back and forth. Works like a charm

Now isn't that smart! It's already on and hot... clever!

starr4 05-14-2010 08:52 PM

I have the Pebbles ribbon iron & do not like it. It works great & does the job, saves me running down to the laundry room, but it does not have an on/off switch so every time I use it I have to crawl under my work table to plug & unplug it. I'd really like it it it had the switch.

Vee 05-15-2010 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karenwhite (Post 16682947)
I love ironing and find it relaxing and soothing. I love the crispness look of the finished item as well. But hey, that's just me ...

I love ironing too, for the same reason, but I use a regular iron for ribbon. Actually MY ribbon is fine, it is the ribbon of my 8 year old that is usually bunched up.