Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-19-2006, 03:50 PM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Default My closet's reason to love unmounted stamps

Many people on this site are die hard SU fans. And of those many I've heard of a few who unmounted their SU stamps.

After finding TAC, I found that the boxes they came in took up slightly less room than SU boxes, because they weren't quite as deep since there was no wood mount. Than I was introduced to CD case storage.

I took a picture to show anyone who has never seen the wonder of CD case storage just how much space it saves. To be "fair" or at least "true" instead of just sticking 10 cases in the picture, I did 10 sets- 3 of the sets take up more than one CD case. In these instances I usually divide the set into images and sentiments, unless another division makes more sense.

This picture shows the following:
10 wood mounted sets
The boxes from the 10 unmounted sets (because it saves some space)
The amount of space 10 unmounted sets take up in CD cases (13 cases)

Not sure if anyone wanted to see it- but when I got them in there, I sure was impressed.

I'm falling more in love with TAC each day
Attached Thumbnails
My closet's reason to love unmounted stamps-tac-stamp-storage.jpg  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-19-2006, 04:40 PM   #2  
Compulsive Stamper

WOW! I currently have all SU stamps right now (mounted) and I am starting to feel a bit squeezed for space. This is amazing. I might need to play with the idea of using those acrylic blocks with my next stamp order to see how I like it. (According to other posts, I may never go back...)

Christine
Old 08-19-2006, 05:34 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Skittl1321 are you unmounting your wood mount stamps.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:38 PM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzanne
Skittl1321 are you unmounting your wood mount stamps.
Not yet. I've heard it's easy to do- but I haven't run out of space yet- so instead of spending the money on static cling (even though it's not too expensive) I think I'm just not going to add anymore wood mounted stamps to my collection. (Unless they are so absolutely fabulous that I can't pass them up).

Besides the space issue unmounteds are way less expensive! I first got into them with Cornish Heritage Farms backgrounders, I use those without the acrylic blocks (just set them down on the CS) , and they are so inexpensive -and yet awesome- for a full size, larger than a card front, background stamp that I can't justify anything else.

But with the unmounteds I have I've found the acrylic blocks as easy, if not easier to use than the wood mounts. I think unmounting them will be in my future.

How was that for a long winded answer
Old 08-19-2006, 06:12 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Isn't the unmounted CD storage just great!!! I have 2 large bookcases filled with SU sets - (so far 1 year into being a TAC angel) I have just over 75 sets TAC sets and have them stored in the cd cases on a turntable style 120 pc. cd holder and it only takes up the top of my 12X12 paper storage unit of drawers! It truly amazes me what little space they take up! I have actually showed people at a workshop what 4 sets of SU stamps looks like compared to the 4 TAC in cd sets looks like and they are amazed to see the difference!
Great visual that you showed....it really lets people see the difference!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2006, 06:37 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wood mounted stamps can easily be removed from the wooden blocks using Undo - an adhesive remover you can find in craft stores like Michaeils, Joanns, etc. Then use the Creative Cling to mount the rubber.

rita w
Old 08-19-2006, 06:55 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

I unmounted my SU Stamps and I love it. I just used vinyl like the window clings. I bouht it off ebay for $4 and they gave me 5 sheets and on those five sheets I unmounted 25 sets of SU stamps. You can also use a product called EZ mount. I think it is great and I am unmounting all of my sisters stamps for her now.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:05 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Although storage will always be an issue, if you have space, you will fill it up with something and then need more. At least this is how it works in my home.

I just cannot part with my SU stamps, I have looked at other companies stamps over the years but for me SU has everything I need as far as their images go even if they take up more space.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:06 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

I am in the process of unmounting all of my SU sets.

My Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/CardsByPia
Old 08-19-2006, 07:12 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

The Angel Company's Creative Cling is like EZ Mount.

rita
Old 08-19-2006, 07:41 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I just began stamping in May and have went the unmounted route. Mostly because of space, see my gallery I just posted pix of my craft closet today. This is the only space I have so I had to make do. I have several SU sets and never wood mounted them, I mounted them directly to vinyl cling and store them in CD cases. The few sets I had that were mounted (from trades, e-bay etc.) I have since unmounted. I am reluctant to throw out the blocks, so they are stored in the basement. I'm saving them, I guess until I'm sure I'm going to stick with this for a long time. So far, so good!!!
My Stampin' Up! site

Old 08-20-2006, 06:26 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

All my new SU stamps get unmounted. I use either double stick tape or Aileens Tack it over/over directly on the rubber. Even though the EZ mount is fairly cheap, double stick tape & Aileen's is way cheaper. Plus I'm able to get more stamps into one CD case because I can use both sides of the inside.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:38 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

You would not believe how many sets of unmounted stamps I have. I have them all in CD cases and in a file cabinet drawer. I must have at least 50 sets and they all fit in there! But with that said, I love my wood mounted stamps, I couldn't bear to unmount them. There is something about the wood. I just have to find a good way to store them after I get my scraproom.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:26 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I used to think I couldn't live without the wood mounts......until I tried TAC's system and I have to say....IT ROCKS!! I still love my SU stamps (and will continue to buy them) and don't think I will ever take the time to unmount them but I like TAC too. I especially love the UM system for the alphabets. I have several wood mounted and hardly use them because it takes too much time to position them with the Stampamajig. With the UM you can arrange a word or phrase right on the acrylic block and stamp it!

I also like it for portability. I took 8 stamps sets, a black stamp pad, some markers and pencils....along with some papers, a paper cutter, glue etc on a recent camping trip and it all fit in a rubber made container that I could easily tote and pack.

If you haven't tried it.....TRY IT!

-Joyce
Old 08-20-2006, 10:52 PM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Yes storing your Unmounted Rubber stamps in CD cases is awesome.

As for camping I have and I am taking some of my TAC stamps and supplies with me on our two week vacation. I have a rolling cart that will store my stamps and supplies as well as a few Stamp magazine and Catalog. Which I am taking with me. You never know who you might run into.
Here's a link to some of my Unmounted TAC stamps.
//www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=271450&cat=500&perpage=48&ppuser=33618
Old 08-21-2006, 03:14 AM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

I was a TAC demo. I fell out of love with their stamp sets, infact there was nothing in the catalog this year except the ones I already own that I even liked, but I do like their unmounted sytem. That said, there is just something earthy about wood mounted stamps as I said above, almost primitive, lol. But I love them though I do not own as many as others do. SU has more stamps that I love, and I will keep them wood mounted. I also own several sets of CTMH stamps and love them too, the clear system is great when the stamps stick and these definitely stick.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:30 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I do like UMs for storability - I keep mine in an old photo album (you know, those old "evil" kind with the gluey pages and the clear protective sheet). I love being able to flip through the pages and see all the images. But I still have plenty of wood mounted stuff, too. Trying to pick a favorite would be like asking which of my children I love more!
Be joyful because you have hope. Be patient when trouble comes, and pray at all times. Romans 12:12 (NCV)
Old 08-21-2006, 05:07 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

Just a quick question. Once they are stored in the CD case, how do you know what is in there? I counldn't tell but do you write the stamp set name on the spine of the CD case? Also, are you actually putting the stamp on the lid portion? I am looking at a CD case right now and the opposite side from the lid has the thing in the middle to hold the CD as well as a circular groove for the CD to fit into. I am sure the solution is simple but to me it seems like rocket science and I am not scientist!
Old 08-21-2006, 05:14 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

First, pop out the insert! Then, snap off those little moon (half circle things around the sides...learned that here!!) and then, put your stamps on the bottom side but be sure not to put them on the 1/2" side that gets left open when you close the lid...basically you do not want anything to "cut" into them.

For labeling lots of gals stamp the images onto a sheet of paper (ink them up in the CD container and then press your paper on them for perfect placement!). You can cut that to size for the front of the CD container. You can use a Sharpie to label the CD container but I like to keep them in Iris Cart drawers and then I thumb through them like old records to find the ones I want.

Hope this helps...
Old 08-21-2006, 03:15 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

Good gravy - that was simple. Thanks Chris for the info.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:23 PM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

I take my sticker from my SU sets and place on the CD "spine"

My Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/CardsByPia
Old 08-21-2006, 03:36 PM   #22  
Knit, Purl, Stamp

I just ordered my first TAC stamps and I really like them. So much so that I'm starting to unmount some of my SU stuff! I won't go completely unmounted, but I will be able to make some room for new stamps!!

My Gallery
My Blog - My adventures in knitting
Old 08-21-2006, 03:51 PM   #23  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniesmom
Just a quick question. Once they are stored in the CD case, how do you know what is in there? I counldn't tell but do you write the stamp set name on the spine of the CD case? Also, are you actually putting the stamp on the lid portion? I am looking at a CD case right now and the opposite side from the lid has the thing in the middle to hold the CD as well as a circular groove for the CD to fit into. I am sure the solution is simple but to me it seems like rocket science and I am not scientist!
Something I do with my Cd cases so I know what's in them.
I take a piece of Computer paper and cut it to fit the CD case. and I then take my stamps and stamp a image on the paper and then write the name on the set. and then I take my dymo machine and make a label for the spline.
This way all I have to do is look at the Cd case and I can see just what's in the Cd case before I stamp.
See the photo below to see what I mean.
Attached Thumbnails
My closet's reason to love unmounted stamps-valentine-mice-images.jpg  
Old 08-21-2006, 03:59 PM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

I have a question. How do you hold the stamps when you use them? I mean with SU, I hold the stamp by the wooden block? Those look so thin and I was just wondering how do you handle them when you use them.

Being military, it would be great to have my stamps use up less space, but I just want to make sure this is going to work for me because I try to start unmounting all my sets.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:04 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

I unmounted all my SU stamps (except backgrounds), I replaced them with EZ Mount. It took me about 2 weeks. I didnt have a problem with space I just have a problem with everything has to be organized and neat (I know I need meds) LOL!

Im so happy that I went unmounted ~
Old 08-21-2006, 04:05 PM   #26  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Str8Fan
I have a question. How do you hold the stamps when you use them? I mean with SU, I hold the stamp by the wooden block? Those look so thin and I was just wondering how do you handle them when you use them.

Being military, it would be great to have my stamps use up less space, but I just want to make sure this is going to work for me because I try to start unmounting all my sets.
With our Stamps you use a Acrylic block and there are many different styles.
And with the Creative Cling foam that is on the backside of the Rubber stamp they will cling to the block with no problem.
So when you get through stamping just clean your stamps and peel them off the arylic block put them away.

I hope that I answered your questions.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:05 PM   #27  
Inking Addict

I am wondering if SU will come out with clear unmounted stamps one of these days???
Old 08-21-2006, 04:06 PM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Rebecca ~ The stamps cling to an acrylic block, then when your done stamping you store them back in the case.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:07 PM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

Jinx Nancy
Old 08-21-2006, 04:10 PM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

You use the unmounted stamps with acrylic handles. You put them onto the acrylic handle, stamp, and then remove to put into the CD cases or other storage method.
Jana ~Angel #1251~ Manager with The Angel Company and List Mom for TAC Addicted
http://jana.ismyangel.net
Old 08-21-2006, 04:10 PM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Rebecca ~ DEFINITLY try a couple before you unmount all your sets you may not like it!
Old 08-21-2006, 04:10 PM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

I love my TAC stamps, I have yet to unmount my SU ones, but if our next duty station is Kansas (rumor has it the on post housing is so small) I may have to. DH has already warned me we may live in a house at some point where there isn't room for my stuff, but I say I will make room!
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Old 08-21-2006, 04:11 PM   #33  
Proud Fan Club Member

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jovi
Jinx Nancy
You're it!
Old 08-21-2006, 04:12 PM   #34  
Hardware Hotshot

Okay, so there is a block to which they cling and when you're finished they store without the block? Is that correct? Has any had these long enough to find out if after a certain amount of time or use that they don't cling to the blocks any longer? What happens if this occurs?
Old 08-21-2006, 04:19 PM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

I have heard that they will become less clingy if you get a lot of excess powdery stuff on them embossing powders, glitters. I was also told that you can wash the cling side!

Is that true?
Old 08-21-2006, 04:21 PM   #36  
Inking Addict

I think I have made the commitment as of today. I just came from stamping with a friend who unmounted all hers this summer. I about fell over to walk into her stamping room and see where there had been 14 Iris carts on 2 walls there is now a bookshelf just over 4 foot high and only 2.5 feet wide with ALL her stamps in CD cases with the names on the spines, done with labels she made. I loved using the acrylic blocks and have been mistakenly under the impression that they would be a pain. Not so. She has a selection of blocks and clear cubes and even uses a Tic Tac case sometimes and they were not a pain at all. In fact, it was easier to clean them since you didn't have to worry about mucking up wood. I think I have just been won over. Since I am a TAC girl and also some SU, I just think the whole unmounted thing speaks to me!
Old 08-21-2006, 04:23 PM   #37  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jovi
I have heard that they will become less clingy if you get a lot of excess powdery stuff on them embossing powders, glitters. I was also told that you can wash the cling side!

Is that true?
This is true. And sometime if you clean them with the Spray cleaner they some time loose the sticky or clingness.
Just gentle wash them and dry them gently.

Good Point Jovi!
Old 08-21-2006, 04:24 PM   #38  
Inking Addict

I should add that many of my TAC were wood mounted and that is why I am somewhat an acrylic block virgin.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:24 PM   #39  
Mad Swapper

Skittle1321 - I'm so glad you started this post! I just finished getting my TAC stamp sets into the CD cases that I could scrounge from the house! I had an old CD tower that holds 10 cases.... it is full! I'm going to have to go shopping to get more! I LOVE my unmounted stamps! I do also love SU stamps and I don't think I will take the time to unmount them all - I have enough room for now.

I made a little index like your picture of my stamped images for the front cover, then I printed out the Names of the sets (just like you!) from my computer and then trimmed them and ran them through my little Xyron sticker machine! I'm so in-love with my TAC stamps in their little special boxes - just tickled pink - well rather Blue - (since that is the color of TAC's rubber!)
Old 08-21-2006, 04:26 PM   #40  
Inking Addict

My friend said if the cling goes away due to product or hand oils, just to wipe them with a baby wipe and dry. She also said to keep the blocks clean. She has been using about 20% unmounted for 5 years now and took the total plunge this summer. She said she sees no drawbacks and many advantages. I am sold.