Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-11-2006, 05:00 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default My $20 card

I'll try to scan it, but it's a pop-up. Anyway, I saw a card in a Martha Stewart book. It's a pop-up of a round ornament with sequins. I HAD to make it. Tried various round things, like bottoms of cups, etc., and cutting with a craft knife but could never get the circle to look decent. So I bought a Coluzzle. Just to make this ONE card! And it turned out perfectly. I'm likin' this Coluzzle!

So I figured the card cost me $20 to make because of the necessary Coluzzle purchase.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-11-2006, 05:48 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think I have a lot of $20 (or at least $10 cards - that's when I make 2 of them) cards- lol. I just keep reminding DH that they are sort of like his $20 or $40 fish!!

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Old 09-11-2006, 05:58 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

LOL!! I think we all have many $20 cards in our collections!
Old 09-11-2006, 06:27 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paula O.
... I'm likin' this Coluzzle!

So I figured the card cost me $20 to make because of the necessary Coluzzle purchase.
Glad you are liking your coluzzle! I love mine. It does take a bit of getting used to it, but once you get the hang of it, it is awesome! There are so many templates available. I have quite a collection (to make many, many $20+ cards!)
Old 09-11-2006, 07:01 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Another *huge* fan of the Coluzzle! I just keep adding to my template collection! A truly great and *must-have* tool for me!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2006, 07:04 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

OK! OK! Where is it? We wanna see it. It sounds very cute.

"Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think." Buddha
Old 09-11-2006, 08:02 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

ummm ... let me see ... since I started buying stamps from SU in 1999 - I have made a few birthday cards, christmas cards two years in a row - about 30 each year - and some baby cards/thank yous for a gift, some note cards and a few name frames - that averages out to about $100 an item - oh hope no one is throwing them out!! Sure glad I decided to save money by making my own cards (giggle)
Old 09-11-2006, 08:13 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by INGonzalez
ummm ... let me see ... since I started buying stamps from SU in 1999 - I have made a few birthday cards, christmas cards two years in a row - about 30 each year - and some baby cards/thank yous for a gift, some note cards and a few name frames - that averages out to about $100 an item - oh hope no one is throwing them out!! Sure glad I decided to save money by making my own cards (giggle)

I also look at it as "therapy". When I think of all the money I've saved paying a professional......well, it definately justifies the cost! Now if I could just get my insurance to pay for it (I have a stamp that says something to this effect!!)
Old 09-11-2006, 08:37 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Coluzzle

What timing! I happened upon this thread after throwing away my Coluzzle.

Obviously I was frustrated. I guess I keep trying to make my own design as I cannot stay in the "groove." Apparently, once you go out of the "groove," the blade will always find that little nick in the plastic.

I did, finally, realize that I was not rotating the handle of the blade as I was going around the corners.

What else am I doing wrong?
Old 09-11-2006, 08:48 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

That's why I'm glad my husband took up golf about the same time I started stamping! He doesn't dare complain about the cost of my stuff compared to a set of clubs and all those greens fees!
Old 09-11-2006, 03:41 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paula O.
I'll try to scan it, but it's a pop-up. Anyway, I saw a card in a Martha Stewart book. It's a pop-up of a round ornament with sequins. I HAD to make it. Tried various round things, like bottoms of cups, etc., and cutting with a craft knife but could never get the circle to look decent. So I bought a Coluzzle. Just to make this ONE card! And it turned out perfectly. I'm likin' this Coluzzle!

Were you able to scan it and post it somewhere? I'd love to see it!

My Gallery
Old 09-11-2006, 04:12 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by sxtsflwrchld

Obviously I was frustrated. I guess I keep trying to make my own design as I cannot stay in the "groove." Apparently, once you go out of the "groove," the blade will always find that little nick in the plastic.

I did, finally, realize that I was not rotating the handle of the blade as I was going around the corners.

Are you using the coluzzle knife or a regular exacto? The coluzzle has a tiny blade that will rotate itself around the template. I don't consciously turn the hanle as I go because the blade changes directions. I am somewhat of a clutz, but I have had good luck with that part. Sniping those last little "holders" is what gets me. I have a small pair of scissors, but I've been thinking of getting a tiny pair (if I can find them) like manicure scissors to see if that will help.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:20 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

I also have lots of $20 cards. But I agree it is therapy for me and well worth all the money I have spent. Not sure my DH would agree, but what the heck I deserve it. And I am getting better about having cards ready to send and not going out at the last minute and buying cards. Even my DH has started to use my cards - major break thru!
Old 09-11-2006, 04:25 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by sxtsflwrchld

Completely remove the plastic liners that are on both sides of the Coluzzle template. These are rather frosty, and are put onto the template in the manufacturing process to prevent scratching, etc. When both are completely removed, your template should be crystal clear.

Always use a swivel knife (the Coluzzle knife) and hold it straight up and down, not an an angle.

Make sure the knife is being drug through the channel with (in the same direction as) the blade, not against (contrary to) the blade.

Use temporary adhesive to anchor the paper down to the cutting foam, so it doesn't shift while you are cutting. Eventually, with practice, you'll probably be able to eliminate the adhesive step.

I use tiny detail scissors to snip the webbing

To make following each channel completely around the template easy, highlight each one with a different color Sharpie Marker or number them as you prefer.

If you knick the edge of the channel with the blade, get a piece of finer grit sandpaper and slip it into the channel and buff out the knick until the plastic is once again smooth.

HTH,
Old 09-11-2006, 04:46 PM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Great tips!

I never tried (or even thought of) using the adhesive - what a great idea! Even with tons of practice, sometimes the paper slips and I have to make up a new idea...
Old 09-11-2006, 04:54 PM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

So far I have been lucky with the paper not slipping without adhesive, but snipping them webs has been painful. I started out using my soft touch micro thingy Fiskars and all of my ovals looked like they had a rough time of coming into existence. I recently started using the little breakaway utility knife that came with my Coluzzle starter kit on a self-healing cutting mat, and have had much more luck with that.

I hope I get to see a card as 'inexpensive' as $20; I dont' even wanna think about how much mine cost.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:04 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks for the great Coluzzle tips!!
Old 09-11-2006, 05:36 PM   #18  
ch
Stampin' Fool

I always tell my customers (and hubby) that the first card costs $25 after that they are free!
Old 09-11-2006, 05:36 PM   #19  
ch
Stampin' Fool

Hey--I just hit my 1000 post!
Old 09-11-2006, 06:48 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Thanks For Tips

"Completely remove the plastic liners that are on both sides of the Coluzzle template. These are rather frosty, and are put onto the template in the manufacturing process to prevent scratching, etc. When both are completely removed, your template should be crystal clear"

I've done this.

"Always use a swivel knife (the Coluzzle knife) and hold it straight up and down, not an an angle"

I did this.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:03 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

I bought a new template and blade. My life is better now!!! LOL
Old 09-13-2006, 02:08 PM   #22  
Glitter Guru

good luck and have fun! It just takes some practice and you will be cutting shapes like a pro!