Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-31-2022, 06:05 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Moving to Florida- Paper & Ink Questions- Lots of them- Downsizing

Early apologies, more moving drama's, lol. DH & I are pretty sure where we are landing now for this nightmare move. It looks like it will be around Florida. I am so excited. I am having a panic attack too.

I am just going to have to do it and downsize my paper. I have a lot of questions.

I live in a high humidity level but high altitude. How is paper affected in Florida humidity? This also applies to stamping inks how are they affected in Florida humidity? What do I need to know. You all can be brutal. I want the good, the bad & the ugly.

I need tips for downsizing. Everyone chime in, even if you don't live in Florida. Please give me tips. I am so overwhelmed. I was going to take all my paper because of the shortages. That is just a silly and stupid idea on my part. I am sure it's not stupid for a lot of people but it would be stupid for my situation. I forgot to add it looks like it will be around Daytona Beach, if that helps any.

I am keeping my paper types that I use for printing- gloss, sticker, etc... I am worried about how it will fare in Florida climate.

Colored cardstock- I only use scraps. I hardly use full size. I mentioned in another thread I am content with those little sample packages of scraps. I have hundreds of sheets of full size colored cardstock. I really don't know what I should keep or get rid of, or if I am just being panic dumb about all of this.

Any tips for those who did a cross country move & downsized their cardstock. I have no plans to repurchase.

I have decided to downsize my art studio quite a bit. I know when I get to Florida I will have new interests. When I had a real panic attack last Autumn about this upcoming move I did go in my room and start decluttering for the move. I realize the majority of my room is paper. I don't know how all that paper just added up like Tribbles. It is to much & needs to go. I don't want to make costly mistakes.

I am grateful for all the help.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2022, 12:28 PM   #2  
Chat Box Hippy Chick

Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

so we all have AC here in FL - so the humidity is not really a problem
unless you're gonna have a shed or something, but then you won't want to be in there.

PS I am in Orlando, about 60 miles from Daytona Beach

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by leibetty:
lylacfey (02-01-2022), lynnewithane (02-06-2022), RJP111 (02-01-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 12:33 PM   #3  
Chat Box Hippy Chick

I've only ever stamped in FL, so I have no comparison.
Also haven't had to downsize per say, but I have had good luck selling things in Facebook groups dedicated to selling Stampin' stuff or Stampin' up! specifically too.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
lylacfey (02-01-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 12:52 PM   #4  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I'm in very humid Texas - and there's no need to worry as you will have the AC on 24/7.

Tips for downsizing - do the Kondo method. Pull EVERYTHING out and group it with its brethren - all stamps in one pile, all embossing powder in another, etc. Eliminate duplicates first, then pare down - so with cardstock - keep 20 sheets of each color and donate the rest. Honestly, I'm a white cardstock girl - I do very little with colored cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by UnderstandBlue:
leibetty (01-31-2022), lylacfey (02-01-2022), Nawnee07 (01-31-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 04:16 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Thank you everyone for helping. That makes me feel a lot better. Over the years I have heard several Florida YouTuber's & stampers talk about Florida humidity affecting their paper, ink pads molding, etc.. I live in a high altitude humidity swampy atmosphere but my paper & ink pads have never had any issues. I always wondered if those things were caused by sea level or lower altitude. Back then it was more me thinking about science instead of this could happen to me kind of thing.

Then DH & I now are moving to Florida, unless there is another work drama, I am thinking "Oh no, do I need to get a dehumidifier or special storage. I am one of "those" planner & contingency types. I know i overthink things then shut down over it, lol. I am always prepared.

Lydia- Thank you that is so doable to pull out 20 sheets of each card stock color. That is more than plenty for my needs.

I am definitely pulling out all of this paper mess & organizing it in categories that I use it for- printing, professional artwork, ephemera. I think if I do this then I can really "Kondo" my paper.

I absolutely loathe, hate clutter. I use to teach decluttering. My big problem is that I own a lot of multiple's of things since I tend to prep. That wasn't an issue when I wasn't moving out of state but now it's an issue. I might have a zillion pieces of paper I have to go through. My DH has over 500 sockets he needs to go through, lol. When we told our friends we were moving, after the shock was over, not one friend said anything about my craft room. They all looked at my DH & said "How are you going to move the garage!" ROFL. Mine was actually my plants. How was I going to move all my plants, herbs & flowers.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2022, 04:59 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

Packing up the craft room was the most daunting task of my move in '21 and it took quite a bit of time (and boxes). Everything in the paper, inks, paints, doodads categories that I did not want I gave to an elementary school art program. Stamps and dies were set aside for a garage sale that did not happen and are now in a storage unit. Ask yourself if you will be having more or less time of crafting than you do now and if the answer is "less" get rid of pretty much everything. If you haven't used it lately, you probably never will.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
lylacfey (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 12:08 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by leibettyView Post
so we all have AC here in FL - so the humidity is not really a problem
unless you're gonna have a shed or something, but then you won't want to be in there.

PS I am in Orlando, about 60 miles from Daytona Beach
I'm also in Orlando! I live near OIA

Lylacfey,
Welcome to Florida! I hope you and your husband will be happy here. If you end up in Central Florida, please keep in mind that there is sooooo much more to the area than Disney World or Universal Studios.

Back to your question about humidity, I don't find it a problem for my cardstock. I am more concerned with keeping my cardstock covered and/or away from windows so that it doesn't fade from the sunlight. On a side note, I have found that tape runners don't work well here; the cards I made with tape runners fell apart. So I use either tombow glue or scor-tape.
Reply With Quote Likes
lylacfey (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 01:08 PM   #8  
Chat Box Hippy Chick

OH YES good tip Robin!

liquid glue all the way

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
lylacfey (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 03:21 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

I lived in FL many years ago and as long as you have a/c, you should not have a problem with inks or papers. I never did. Good luck!

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
lylacfey (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 09:32 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Lutheran- I am definitely going to be crating less. I know I will still stamp in my journals, make home decor, jewelry, embellishment's, diamond paint.

I have so much things for embellishment making that trying to balance what should go or what should be donated has been really hard for me to make decisions. You know like home decor is easy to culll through since I will be decoratng for a new home. My jewelry and diamond painting is super easy. Stamping is actually not that bad for me since I know my journal style and stamping style. Luckily, stamping for me is about collecting stamps. I am a basic stamper so all the inks, powders and all the other things we use, I really don’t have a lot of it. The paper issue is because I bought so much to make embellishments. That paper needs to go and be updated for my needs. Any tips from embellishment makers I would be so grateful. My closet is just dedicated to embellishment making items.

Robin- I am a Disney Princess Girl forever. Jasmine is my favorite. You know the one place I don’t want to go is Disney World, lol. Universal- I have a loved one who will visit us. He loves the Wizarding World. I would take him to Universal because I love him. Theme parks are not my thing. I have been laughing since the move will take us around all these great theme parks. DH & I are not theme park fans, lol. I have always wanted to go to Sea World.

Does ATG tape hold up well in Florida humidity? My tape runners don’t work well in my humid climate either.

My DH & I made the final decision tonight that he is going to semi retire. The trucking construction industry is way to stressful in the current climate and we are both done. I don’t think we will be moving for his work. He told his job today that he is done. They are just freaking out now trying to give him anything he wants. We don’t want it.

We do want to move to the ocean. That hasn’t changed since we were young kids talking about taking over an island. We were in grade school, lol, Since we were teenagers my DH would always say we are fleeing to the ocean. Now, we are. We were going to the Pacific Northwest. We realized that was not a good fit for us, We want some place warmer. Florida looks like a good fit for us. We would like to be there by Autumn. I refuse to go through another Winter here. Typing this my area is going into an ice storm here, courtesy of Landon. Such a bad storm with a cute name.

Thank you for the help everyone. I have a journal full of notes. Everything has been so helpful.

Reply With Quote Likes
lovinpaper (02-02-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 12:05 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,850 Posts

[QUOTE=lylacfey;22148203 We want some place warmer. Florida looks like a good fit for us. We would like to be there by Autumn. I refuse to go through another Winter here. Typing this my area is going into an ice storm here, courtesy of Landon. Such a bad storm with a cute name.
[/QUOTE]

You sound like my husband. NOT ANOTHER WINTER! He has talked of moving to Florida since we were married which will be 31 years in May.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
lylacfey (02-02-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 07:40 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Like RJP111 and leibetty, I'm about 60 miles from Daytona Beach but I'm right on thte coast in Brevard County just south of the Kennedy Space Center. Temperatures are usually cooler on the coast than they are in central Florida as we have the sea breeze. I've been cardmaking and doing colored pencil work for many many years here and I've never found the humidity to be a problem. Since my husband started working at home with the pandemic, my craft area is now in the garage. I have a small AC unit in the garage but I don't use it much. I've not a had problem with cardstock, patterned paper, inks or glues creating things here. If you have good quality cardstock bring it with you. We have Michaels and Hobby Lobby in the area but all of our srapbook paper stores around here are gone. Quality paper is not getting cheaper anywhere. As someone else noted, there are all sorts of things to do in this part of Florida aside from the theme parks. Here in Brevard County there is more to do than you have time or money to do, you just have to look for things or get a resident to clue you in. It was in the high 70's today and sunshiny and that's why we live in Florida. Yes, we do have hurricane season every year but as long as you make preparations for them, all the storms do is give you more time indoors to craft! LOL I am sure you will enjoy it here. Welcome, Sarge
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Sarge:
lylacfey (02-04-2022), RJP111 (02-07-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 01:08 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Sarge Thank you. That is more helpful that I can put into words. Since my DH lost it with his work. He is still hired, lol. They finally got it we don’t put up with pushy wishy washy decisions that hurt people. We will not be moving for them, My DH is staying to finish up contracts for the builders that are like family to us, then he’s done. Why I was so happy with your message. DH & I decided to move around the Cape Canaveral area! It is all our choice. My DH has always wanted to live near NASA.

Ladies, I am truly finally excited about the move. I went in my room earlier and started decluttering like a pro. I know I am taking most of it with me. I really do not own a lot. I just have bulk because I bulk buy. I know people move a lot. I have lived in the same area for 34 years. I have only moved about three times. Moving my art things in town was easy. Moving bulk items cross country is daunting. Losing my various pantries I created is making my GAD/PTSD flare up. It would be very hard to replace with shortages and inflation.

Sarge- Thank you for the paper tips. That was what I was concerned about. I do have high quality paper. If this happened at any other time I would get rid of so much then replace. With the shortages, inflation that option doesn’t seem feasible. DH & I will have to learn everything new, learn new pricing, stores, etc.. It is daunting with the economy the way it is now.

That is why I am panicking, confused and shutting down. This is going to be a very expensive move. My DH’s garage alone will cost the move on the frugal side $8,000. No, he can’t sell and replace. It would be an even bigger financial loss. Then we have custom made furniture that is going too. I live in an original Craftsmen. It’s not that big. My art room is small. I think it is too big, lol. I would like to start fresh for my next rt room but not be financially stupid about it.

Another problem is my DH. I don’t have that DH that complains I have too much. He loves all my things and steals them! I told him tonight I was thinking of getting rid of my Duct Tape collection. He is like you can’t, you can do so much with duct tape! See what I go through, lol. Even if I got rid of it he would take it and then tape a friend’s car with Hello Kitty Duck tape. Ask me how I know this, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
ChrisO (02-04-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 04:38 AM   #14  
Minglerville Blabber
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 304 Posts

You can do it! Safe travels.
My Blog: Yellow and Blue

SU Creative Crew Design Team Member-May-August 2011
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2022, 08:36 AM   #15  
Chat Box Hippy Chick

I have a friend who is a realtor. She lives in Cape Canaveral. PM me if you'd like her info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2022, 07:14 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Thank you everyone! I was able to start on my paper tonight without shutting down, lol.

I went through all my paper I use for printing. I put it into categories, Reorganized all the boxes. After I was done I had two empty boxes. I didn't get rid of very much!

The rest of my paper I am putting in two area which will be full size & then scraps. Then I will putting those into categories.

Tomorrow I will be taking down my tool area/desk. Moving all the portable furniture. Then separating all my tools in categories & go from there.

Then I can finish up paper & ephemera. Luckily I did a big declutter & update of all my coloring tools last year. When I get to that area it won't be to hard.

My DH & I set down to make a timeline for our move that is realistic. What I mean realistic is that it's realistic for me & not my DH, lol. He thought that was funny. He got it loud and clear, lol. He needs to buy a new truck, he needs to get his garage in order, he needs to help me sale the home since that is his specialty not mine.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2022, 01:20 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

We did a similar cross-country move as well recently and I was in the same predicament. My whole craft room did not have to get loaded on that moving truck! Too much stuff! I packed about 1/2 of it in boxes and donated at Goodwill. Haven’t missed a thing!
Reply With Quote Likes
lylacfey (02-06-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 06:14 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Glad your sorting and packing are going well. If you'd like, I can find a "Brevard County Fact Book" that is published every year. The book will give you the where and when and how of living around here. Folks have talked about the theme parks in Central Florida but we have Port Canaveral here in Brevard with at least a half a dozen cruise ships in and out all the time at least since the restrictions being lifted on travel. We are port to Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Disney and a number of other lines visit here. Cruises from here are so convenient. Our joke is after a cruise, residents here are home and unpacked before most people get to the airport! PM me your address and I'll hunt down the fact book for you. Happy packing, happy travel! Sarge
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Sarge:
leibetty (02-05-2022), lylacfey (02-06-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 11:29 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Sarge, Thank you so much. DH & I are introverts. Cruise's are overwhelming. We need things that introverts can do like library, botanical gardens, zoo's. I would like to do a Casino Cruise when I am more acclimated to the area. I love playing cards. It's a brag & I truly don't care but cards are my Superpower, lol. We actually thought about Myrtle Beach South Carolina just for the casino's. Disclaimer- I am a responsible card shark. Cards are about the science and math for me. I find them comforting.

DH & I will have nobody down in Florida that we know. That was one of the reason's we chose against the Pacific Northwest. We would be so far away from our friends. Two of our friends are moving down to Florida around the same time as us. One is going to Key West. The other around Jacksonville. That is a comfort. My DH's old boss who is like a Father to him is down in Key West. Two of my other friends are avid cruiser's so they will be coming to visit a lot. The move is freaking me out because I moving away from all my friends. I am fifty and we have been friends since teenage years or we were kids. I have known my DH since I was seven. It's that kind of dynamic's. When DH & I told our friends we were moving it was horrible. The look of devastation. Several of my friends cried. Then they all rallied to help us. This has been emotionally hard. That's why I am having so much trouble organizing and moving.

I laid out all my tools on the floor yesterday. I put them in categories. It took a little over an hour. I was so tired & overwhelmed after I did it. I set down for three hours and got a lot done. I am working on it right now. I set down for my popcorn break. I am going back in after I finish posting. I am glad I put everything on the floor and going through it. It is really helping. My dog just has to be with me and I have no room to move, lol.

Last edited by lylacfey; 02-06-2022 at 11:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2022, 11:42 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Ohhh ..... you will LOVE living in Brevard County! I lived there for almost 4 years before moving to Orlando. I really miss living over there, but I have to live where my job is [long suffering sigh!] Sarge is absolutely correct when she says there is so much more to do in Brevard County than you'll have time for. If you like live music, you will find an abundance of local talent. Being able to step out your back door to watch a launch never gets old, IMO. If you like auto racing, there are a couple of circle tracks and a drag strip within an hour or so drive.

You have already said that you are a Disney Princess! Well, it will take you less time to get to Disney from Brevard County than it would have if you were living in Daytona Beach. ;) So that's another "win" for you. lol

I am really happy that you are coming to Central Florida.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Sarge Thank you. That is more helpful that I can put into words. Since my DH lost it with his work. He is still hired, lol. They finally got it we don’t put up with pushy wishy washy decisions that hurt people. We will not be moving for them, My DH is staying to finish up contracts for the builders that are like family to us, then he’s done. Why I was so happy with your message. DH & I decided to move around the Cape Canaveral area! It is all our choice. My DH has always wanted to live near NASA.

Ladies, I am truly finally excited about the move. I went in my room earlier and started decluttering like a pro. I know I am taking most of it with me. I really do not own a lot. I just have bulk because I bulk buy. I know people move a lot. I have lived in the same area for 34 years. I have only moved about three times. Moving my art things in town was easy. Moving bulk items cross country is daunting. Losing my various pantries I created is making my GAD/PTSD flare up. It would be very hard to replace with shortages and inflation.

Sarge- Thank you for the paper tips. That was what I was concerned about. I do have high quality paper. If this happened at any other time I would get rid of so much then replace. With the shortages, inflation that option doesn’t seem feasible. DH & I will have to learn everything new, learn new pricing, stores, etc.. It is daunting with the economy the way it is now.

That is why I am panicking, confused and shutting down. This is going to be a very expensive move. My DH’s garage alone will cost the move on the frugal side $8,000. No, he can’t sell and replace. It would be an even bigger financial loss. Then we have custom made furniture that is going too. I live in an original Craftsmen. It’s not that big. My art room is small. I think it is too big, lol. I would like to start fresh for my next rt room but not be financially stupid about it.

Another problem is my DH. I don’t have that DH that complains I have too much. He loves all my things and steals them! I told him tonight I was thinking of getting rid of my Duct Tape collection. He is like you can’t, you can do so much with duct tape! See what I go through, lol. Even if I got rid of it he would take it and then tape a friend’s car with Hello Kitty Duck tape. Ask me how I know this, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2022, 06:19 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Received 90 Likes on 55 Posts

The Space Coast is lovely and we head over there often! A quick note to tell you about our top 4 places to visit:

Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge: You can buy a yearly pass for the wildlife drive for just $25 ($40 if want to add annual access to Playalinda Beach, part of the Canaveral National Seashore). If you don’t want to enter the wildlife drive, the Merritt Island Refuge is free and you can visit the manatee viewing area, NP Visitor Center, drive miles of road to spot wildlife, and hike many trails. Between the wildlife drive and general park roads, we’ve spotted the rare Florida panther, bobcats, wild boars, gators, armadillos, otters, fish, hundreds of birds every time: spoonbills, Florida scrub jays, herons, cranes, egrets, ducks, so many more. This is our favorite place in FL!

Sunrise Bread Company: A small bakery in Titusville (we stop here before going to the wildlife refuge) with all kinds of freshly baked bread, pastries, cookies, granola, dog treats, soups, sandwiches, coffee, tea, etc. Family owned and fantastic! Sometimes we pick up lunch and picnic by the bridge leading to Merritt Island, which is also a fabulous place to view NASA launches.

Playalinda Brewing Company: Two locations in Titusville, we like the larger one just south of Rte 50 on Rte 1. I don’t drink beer, but everyone we bring here loves the craft brews and the food is great. I get their home brewed root beer!

Jetty Park: A gorgeous beach and campground, and the cruise ships pass right by on their way out to sea. It’s fun to wave to the excited passengers. There is also a great fishing pier and your license is included with park admission. Cocoa Beach is free but I prefer Jetty Park for location and amenities.

Bonus: Titusville Playhouse puts on many productions all year and the talent is wonderful.

Stamping related: There is a Hobby Lobby on Rte 1. I’m about 35 minutes west of the coast so I don’t shop there, but if you need supplies it’s an option.

Good luck with your move to The Sunshine State! We moved here 7 yrs ago from the NE and love it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJP111View Post
Ohhh ..... you will LOVE living in Brevard County! I lived there for almost 4 years before moving to Orlando. I really miss living over there, but I have to live where my job is [long suffering sigh!] Sarge is absolutely correct when she says there is so much more to do in Brevard County than you'll have time for. If you like live music, you will find an abundance of local talent. Being able to step out your back door to watch a launch never gets old, IMO. If you like auto racing, there are a couple of circle tracks and a drag strip within an hour or so drive.

You have already said that you are a Disney Princess! Well, it will take you less time to get to Disney from Brevard County than it would have if you were living in Daytona Beach. ;) So that's another "win" for you. lol

I am really happy that you are coming to Central Florida.

Last edited by bzzzeee; 03-13-2022 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: street name
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by bzzzeee:
lylacfey (03-13-2022), RJP111 (03-14-2022)
Old 03-13-2022, 08:34 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Thank you everyone & update. With everything going on in the world and rising fuel costs his work decided to give us more time. DH & I are so relieved. It is still definitely a move. We can take our time. We are not under so much stress. I have been able to declutter and prepare a lot better. The best part we can now travel down there and decide where we want to move to. I was so worried we would move down there and it would be all wrong for us.

I have decided to take the majority of my paper. The recent paper thread brought home to me losing my paper collection would be a major loss since it would be to hard to replace, plus I love my paper.

I don’t feel as grief stricken & shocked about the move any more. It feels more like the next chapter in a new adventure, than something that was thrust upon us because of everything going on. Now, I am getting the chance to look at homes we want to buy, places we want to be near. I can plan my next art studio a lot better.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by lylacfey:
bzzzeee (03-14-2022), ChrisO (03-14-2022), leibetty (03-14-2022), RJP111 (03-14-2022)