Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Mounted vs. Unmounted Offshoot Poll (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/mounted-vs-unmounted-offshoot-poll-249994/)

housefan 05-18-2007 04:59 PM

My friend is an avid wood carver and said she has all but quit carving because the wood has gone up about triple over where it was several years ago. Her wood looks very much like the SU blocks. I wouldn't be surprised. We have wood siding on our home and replacement is much higher over the last few years. Fortunately we bought extra and treated it when we build our home so we have some for repairs.

TJStamper 05-18-2007 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by housefan
Well, mabye I have been mislead. I have heard more than once that she publicly announced SU stamps would always be wood mount and that she would never consider not.

Well, I poked around a bit and have learned that while Shelli does prefer wood mounted personally there is no record of any statement made by her or SU! that they would *never* offer unmounted stamps. SU! has stated, however, that they will not offer acrylic stamps. I tried to call my upline (she's been w/SU! since the beginning but she's not home tonight). If I hear back from her I'll let you know what she knows about the whole unmounted/mounted thing.

As I was searching around I found a couple of other polls that may answer the question as to why SU! is not currently offering un-mounted: "What if SU Offered Options POLL 2/4/2007" 42% of the respondents in that poll stated they would still buy only the more expensive wood mounts if given an option. So I would venture to guess SU! isn't changing right now because they don't have to. They have a market they are catering to and will continue to do so until that market changes. Makes sound business sense. If that market changes I am certain SU! will make changes.

Here's another poll about mounted vs. unmounted "Wood mount or unmounted?"
And another that shows how many people use both Did you unmount all your wood mounted stamps?

I actually found my little journey quite informative ... hopefully it will also satisfy any frustration or confusion that you or anybody else is feeling about what SU! offers at the moment. Clearly they are catering to their main customer base which consists of folks like me who really love the wood mounted stamps over anything else. I know there are also SU! customers who buy mounted AND unmounted and I think it would be pretty cool if SU! could offer both as long as it does not impact selection and price (and most people agree as the poll in this thread illustrates - we ALL like choices!) but, like I said, at the moment it is simply not warranted or necessary. In other words ... no need to fix something that isn't broken.

housefan 05-18-2007 05:55 PM

When did Paper Trey come out? Just in the last few months. I think the more recent polls than the one you referred to show just how many people are switching over in the very recent weeks.

TJStamper 05-18-2007 06:04 PM

Hi Kathy! As a die hard wood mounted fan I responded to the questions you posed. I do think SU! may eventually offer both ... I just hope it's both and not just un-mounted. I'd be a sad little stamper if that happened!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ikimom
I wonder, does the example of TAC offering an option of mounted or UM and then quickly finding the demand for the higher price wood mount disappear frighten some of the wood mount fans here? I would be so sad if SU! no longer offered wood mounted stamps :( . Are you afraid that the same would happen with SU? I would hope not, as it seems there is a healthy market for both options. Does the thought of you having to pay what might eventually become considered "extra" for the wood bother you? My understanding of this scenario is that the price for wood mounted would not increase ... just that unmounted would cost less. So no, it doesn't bother me because the change would be transparent for me. Right at this moment, at this point in time, given the option I would pay the higher price to get my wood mounts that I love so much!;) . The price with the traditional wood shouldn't really increase much because I think the extra volume of sales of UM rubber would increase the SU bottom line. The professional knowledge provided by Scrapmo and Scpd earlier in this thread support that idea. Just guessing.

~ Kathy

TJStamper 05-18-2007 06:06 PM

Quote:

When did Paper Trey come out? Just in the last few months. I think the more recent polls than the one you referred to show just how many people are switching over in the very recent weeks.

I don't really believe that thousands of people have suddenly stopped using wood mounted stamps in the past couple of weeks. I think it's safe to say that, for now, there IS a viable customer base for SU!'s wood-mounted offerings. :)

housefan 05-18-2007 06:15 PM

I don't think I said "thousands" in a "couple" of weeks. In fact, I am sure I did not. But, you cannot deny that these stamps have a large following. I think of SCS stampers as those who know the trends and are the leaders in what will take off with a bang. Over the last 3 months I have seen constant threads and raves about at least 8 new companies that offer UM (Paper Trey, Rubber Romance, Bellas, Rhonda Farrer, Autumn Leaves, and many, many more). Just going by my 2 stamp clubs where now 18 of the 21 in our 2 groups have gone UM in under a year, I would say a trend exists. All 21 of these women were die-hard wood mount stampers until less than 2 years ago. I remember how shocked we were when the first one started, in our words, "tearing up her precious stamps". She brought them to club meetings and after using them for a few hours several times, many of us bought about 200 sheets of EZ mount in bulk to share. Within a few months after that the others jumped on the wagon. The 3 remaining? Well, one has hardly any stamps and does not care, another has 4 preschoolers and says once they are in school she will take the time to UM. The other is losing interest in stamping as a whole.

scpd 05-18-2007 06:15 PM

You're correct, Kira -- I missed the posting of the photos while I was composing my original response! And so it goes in cyberspace real-time...

I probably should also have pointed out that I'm a SU demo -- who doesn't mount her stamps. If I did workshops, I'd demo mounted since that's what SU sells, but I don't -- so it's a moot point for me. I would like the *option* of wood-free boxes of SU rubber! (There is a limit to the number of plastic boxes and wood blocks I can find homes for, and I refuse to throw them away -- that's wasteful.) I still disagree with the argument that such a change isn't feasible or that it would necessarily cause the prices to go up or the selction to go down -- but that's my opinion, and you're all entitled to it! :mrgreen:

I'm glad the poll was posted, the discussion has been great (at least the civil posts) -- it never hurts to kick around new ideas!

Happy trails....

Sue

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiraj
Except that as it was pointed out earlier, the system they use right now does include pickers, but they don't read slips. They are simply told how many of the item to put into the box. This shows up on an lcd display. Twice as many stamp sets would require twice as many of these displays, and more workers to man the lines. Thus more cost.

I personally really like unmounted, but know that I can get those elsewhere if I want to. I appreciate that SU is only wood mounted, and would not want to see an increase in product cost to be afforded the choice.

TJStamper 05-18-2007 06:20 PM

Quote:

I don't think I said "thousands" in a "couple" of weeks. In fact, I am sure I did not. But, you cannot deny that these stamps have a large following.

I didn't claim you said that. Your statement came across with an implication that the polls from a few months ago would be largely skewed if ran today based upon your assumption that many people have suddenly switched from wood mounted to unmounted. Yes, Unmounted stamps DO have a large following but so do wood mounted stamps which is why SU! does not currently offer un-mounted.

TJStamper 05-18-2007 06:34 PM

Quote:

OK - here are the most recent polls ...
From the thread titled: Please Help! Voice Your Opinion
The Poll Question is:
Would you like the option to buy SU Sets unmounted? 55.38% responded "No, I like the wood blocks and don't mind the higher price."
From "Oh no, not another ...."
The Poll Question is:
"IF Stampin' Up! were to someday offer the unmounted (UM) option, would you... " and the largest percentage is 33.19% for Purchase only mounted no matter what.

For the record ... I do agree that it WOULD be great to be given the choice :) , even though I would still choose mounted. Choices are always good!

housefan 05-18-2007 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJStamper
I don't really believe that thousands of people have suddenly stopped using wood mounted stamps in the past couple of weeks. I think it's safe to say that, for now, there IS a viable customer base for SU!'s wood-mounted offerings. :)

You didn't say this?

TJStamper 05-18-2007 07:05 PM

Quote:

You didn't say this?

Gosh - do you just like to argue? YES, I DID say that ... but I didn't say that YOU said it! Sheesh ...

housefan 05-18-2007 07:10 PM

I really don't need to respond to your baiting any more. You can probably find entertainment better than this. Gotta get back to my Lady Bug stamps.

TJStamper 05-18-2007 08:01 PM

Quote:

I really don't need to respond to your baiting any more. You can probably find entertainment better than this. Gotta get back to my Lady Bug stamps.

Baiting? I posted a reasonable question that was pertinent to the subject matter of this thread and followed up with reasonable, factual responses to your suggestion that SU! will never provide a choice of un-mounted stamps in order for Shelli to "save face". I believe SU! only offers mounted at this time because that is what their customer base wants and the polls (yes, even the most recent ones) do actually support that. I thought you, and others, would like to see that it's a close majority but that the choice would be nice too.

I feel compelled to point out that you chose to derail the dialogue we were having, not me and it came across as an attempt to divert attention from the real discussion which is why I responded the way I did. I don't care to argue just for the sake of arguing ... some people do but it's not my style.

I honestly don't know how anything I posted can be viewed as baiting. I crafted my posts with careful thought and consideration because I thought this was an interesting topic. I thought we were having a normal discussion, all the while agreeing with each other that we both like to have choices (wasn't that the original question posed???) until you suddenly became defensive. Your last two comments were both rude and uncalled for and I don't feel I said or did anything to warrant them.

Happy Stamping ... mounted or un-mounted ;)

justjulier 05-18-2007 08:04 PM

good debate, lots of intelligent and thought-provoking information provided

could have done with a bit less snarkiness, but that's the nature of a forum I guess :rolleyes: lol

with that said, I agree choice is great, but I don't want to give up anything for the choice (we want it all, right? lol) however, I did participate in a SU poll a few years ago and at the time my responses were not in support of going unmounted because at the time I had no clue really what that meant, what I heard about unmounted sounded yucky, and I owned a total of maybe 20 sets at the time and I didn't "get" the whole space issue

well I can now say having since become more educated about unmounted and seeing that it's either improved or was not as yucky as I originally thought coupled with being the owner of over 150 SU stamp sets I would now very much support going unmounted, both for cost savings reasons but more importantly for space savings reasons

I do not believe SU will NEVER offer an unmounted option. I believe it will happen in due course. I believe this because I see the obvious trending and in my few years with SU I've seen over and over again where SU constantly reinvents itself to stay a strong leader in the market

On this topic, I believe SU will do the same as they have in the past. As soon as it becomes necessary (and feasible) to offer this option they will. They will do this in order to sustain - and more importantly continue to grow - their business.

Some posters made reference to SU's strong growth and profitability as the reason they aren't doing this. That is probably very true **today**. But as others mention these are decisions that have poignant timing associated with them. I hope SU makes the right choice (whichever it is) at the right time so they aren't passed by within the industry.

And as far as SU's strength and profitability, I don't think they've had the amazing growth the last few years that they had in the preceding 5 years. Certainly that could be due to a number of factors, market saturation, new entrants to the market, economy slow-downs, etc.. These changes in business are the reasons that appropriate timing in business model changes are critical to keeping with, and ideally ahead, of the market trends. I think this represents one reason for the change in catalog offerings we see in the upcoming SU year.

And on the topic of the slip in strong growth of the last few years, I've wondered if this is the reason for the push on recruiting I feel like I hear a lot about lately from SU. Seems like a predominance of the communication, training, incentives, and specials are geared towards recruiting.

momof2stampers 05-18-2007 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belindaking
I "begrudge" the option because I think it would affect the cost and/or selection of stamps... there simply is only so much room on the pick line (I've been there, and it *is* full) and to offer all the stamps as mounted or unmounted would cost space on the pickline. If the option of unmounted were offered, it would in effect double the amount of space needed for stamps on the pick line. There are two ways this could be handled: 1) offer half as many stamp sets to make space for the unmounted option, or 2) expand the distribution center to make more room for all the stamps.

The smaller amount of storage needed at home (or in a small business) for unmounted stamps just does not apply on a large pick line such as SU's. The same amount of space is needed no matter how large or small an item.

Because offering an unmounted option would *at this time* either increase the cost of SU's product or decrease the selection, I chose that I would be unhappy if SU offered unmounted stamps. If at some time in the future these barriers could be overcome without sacrificing value or diversity in stamps, I would be happy to see that choice made available.

This is exactly how I was thinking when I voted that I would be unhappy.

katrs5 05-18-2007 08:30 PM

Wow so this is where the fighting is....who knew,and I've been hanging in CE.

Well, I am a hobby demo, and I've been saying for over a year to remain competitive I think SU will have to go unmounted. Even more so, I think they will need to offer an acrylic line as well. I have friends that ONLY buy acrylic - they love SU stamps, but don't like the rubber (can't see through).

I think they will change eventually. And, I sure didn't know that was a hot topic.

I have not unmounted my stamps - b/c I don't need to. I have plenty of storage room. However, I frequently buy unmounted non-SU stamps and enjoy them.

Stampin Wrose 05-18-2007 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katrs5

Well, I am a hobby demo, and I've been saying for over a year to remain competitive I think SU will have to go unmounted. Even more so, I think they will need to offer an acrylic line as well. I have friends that ONLY buy acrylic - they love SU stamps, but don't like the rubber (can't see through).

I think they will change eventually. And, I sure didn't know that was a hot topic.

I have not unmounted my stamps - b/c I don't need to. I have plenty of storage room. However, I frequently buy unmounted non-SU stamps and enjoy them.

Nope, not acrylic stamps. That'll never happen to SU!

LOL

ikimom 05-18-2007 09:03 PM

Quote:

First K.O., now you, it must be a slow news day......hehehe. Oh, it's a tad feisty, but all in all, a good discussion.

Quote:

Nooooo...! ok, now I'm ready to fight ya' on the SU goin' polymer debate (the acrylic is the hard blocks we use in place of the wood mounts).
Quote:

Yes, agree with you on the eventuality.... as K.O. would say, resistance is futile. Gandhi would use the passive resitance tact. Hot topic? Should this be moved to CE?
Quote:

Ugh, where I live there are no basements where one can spread out in storage heaven. I'm attaching a photo of my stamp drawer I just took for another thread. This is after UM conversion of about 50 SU sets. Everything in one drawer, the cd cases alphabetized (I can find what I want now, without looking in various places). Still have a few left to do, leaving the backgrounds on the wood though.

~ Kathy (the other)

ikimom 05-18-2007 09:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Uhhhh, what happened to my attachment.... trying again.

Stampin Wrose 05-18-2007 09:31 PM

Wow, cool. I'll have to see it sometime!

You've seen MY shelves!!!!!!!!!

ikimom 05-18-2007 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose
Wow, cool. I'll have to see it sometime!
You've seen MY shelves!!!!!!!!!

Oh, but you have the spaaaaace, and it's nicely organized. My collection pales by comparison. Oh, yes, let's get together, I had lot of fun at Stampmania and have some show & tell stuff.

~ Kathy

chrisations.ink 05-18-2007 09:50 PM

Even though I like my rubah, I'd have no probs with SU offering options.

MSBetsyZ 05-18-2007 09:51 PM

For some reason, I'm getting that a lot of folks are thinking "unmounteds" are a new trend that's just now taking over the hobby? Don't know where that idea would come from...um's have been around forever. I have hundreds that are 10 years old and more!

To me, the fact that that have been around so long and yet wood mounting is still so popular speaks for itself. UM is a good option, a lot of folks love it, but wood mounts are still a strong selling feature for a whole lot of other folks.

Sooner or later, I imagine SU will begin to work in selling unmounted rubber. But since Shelli DID say she couldn't see SU going to "acrylic," I wouldn't be holding my breath for THEM, lol! I just don't think I'd be switching to all UM. Those hundreds of um's I have? Very few get used anymore. They're more trouble than they're worth most days.

sandilotter 05-18-2007 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynamom
Personally, I think that soon SU will not have any option but to offer this and if it means totally retooling everything they do, they they'll just have to do it. It's about the buyer, not the seller. That's just how it goes. It's the cost and headache of business, hard or not.

Cindy

Actually, it is about the manufacturer. If company A manufactures red widgets and company B manufactures blue widgets, the buyer will need to decide what color widget he wants/needs and then buys from that manufacturer.

My preference is wood mounted stamps, been stamping with them for over 10 years. Have no desire to change to anything with acrylic .So I am a SU kinda gal and will probably remain so

Sandi

Stampin Wrose 05-18-2007 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandilotter
Actually, it is about the manufacturer. If company A manufactures red widgets and company B manufactures blue widgets, the buyer will need to decide what color widget he wants/needs and then buys from that manufacturer.

My preference is wood mounted stamps, been stamping with them for over 10 years. Have no desire to change to anything with acrylic .So I am a SU kinda gal and will probably remain so

Sandi

Yeah... and even though there might be "a lot" of people on SCS who would buy unmounted rubber and acrylic blocks, there are a zillion people out there who still haven't discovered SCS. I forget because I'm surrounded by computer people - but I still know a lot of people who just don't do much on computers.

I definitely don't think SU! will change anytime "soon." I think, if at all, it's years away. (But hey, I'm just guessing! LOL)

myhappyplace 05-19-2007 03:46 AM

Quote:

Gosh - do you just like to argue? YES, I DID say that ... but I didn't say that YOU said it! Sheesh ...

What a silly question :mrgreen:

Mahloumel 05-19-2007 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justjulier
And as far as SU's strength and profitability, I don't think they've had the amazing growth the last few years that they had in the preceding 5 years. Certainly that could be due to a number of factors, market saturation, new entrants to the market, economy slow-downs, etc..

I had forgotten the new markets that SU just entered in Australia and the UK. That certainly does a lot to get around the market saturation issue, and now SU is not as dependent on just one national economy. I wonder if, after having just recruited a billion new demos in Oz and the UK if SU would dare to switch their format to accomodate both UM and WM stampers. I don't think they would trial balloon the UM option in just one market (the US is perhaps more current on stamping trends and technology, and would be the one I'd trial it in if I had to choose) and I also don't think they would want to cheese ALL of their new demos off by making a big switch right after they were recruited.

Mahloumel 05-19-2007 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ
For some reason, I'm getting that a lot of folks are thinking "unmounteds" are a new trend that's just now taking over the hobby? Don't know where that idea would come from...um's have been around forever. I have hundreds that are 10 years old and more!

UM stamping has been around for years, but in my perspective it has only fairly recently taken on a wider audience, heralded by the big influx of big scrapping companies releasing photopolymer stamps in the past year or so. I'd heard about UM stamping ten years ago and truth be told I felt they were a fringe group of extreme stampers who probably also ate bark for breakfast. ;) Now that I'm a UM stamper, I figure that it must be a sign of how much more commonplace, widely accepted, and 'normal' it is (I'm no freako, after all!!). I get the sense that more average stampers are more educated about the different options they have for stamps than they were ten years ago (barkeaters notwithstanding). It would be interesting to hear the perspectives of companies like Blockhead Stamps, VLVS, etc and see if in their perspective there's been a noticeable increase in the amount of UM customers they have now compared to even five years ago.

Mahloumel 05-19-2007 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYstamper
But, I am sure there are some creative ideas out there for using, selling or recycling them.

I know you understand why UM stampers would really prefer not to have to get wood blocks, but just wanted to say I REALLY don't want to need to get creative about what to do with products I don't want, and don't want to waste by just tossing out. Just like the way I avoid buying products with excessive packaging when I get my groceries, I also avoid buying stamps that come with wood since getting into UM.

DeniseH 05-19-2007 10:38 AM

Quote:

I have hundreds that are 10 years old and more!

I do to. They are all sitting in a box unused because "I" think they are a pain in the neck..........maybe I will donate them to a playground that uses shredded rubber stamps for a safety cushion ;).

housefan 05-19-2007 10:39 AM

I have to agree that in the last 2 years you see many "mainstream" stampers going unmounted. If that were not the case why would my JoAnn local store have gotten rid of ALL their wood stamps and replaced them with a huge section of UMs? Why would Craft Warehouse who is the biggest stamp store chain in the NW and used to only stock woodmounts, now have almost a complete wall of UM's? Why would the local scrap and stamp store carry only UMs? Why would Target, Walmart, Shopko, and BiMart be stocking almost completely only UMs? Do they not understand trends? Why would new companies like Rubber Romance and Paper Trey be taking stampers by storm so much that they cannot even begin to anticipate how fast they will grow and are backordered within hours of putting out new sets? Why would A Muse, famous for their woodmounted stamps, be bringing in UM sets? Hmmmmmm, all these companies have savvy research and marketing people. Where could they be getting the idea that UM is the new trend?

Mahloumel 05-19-2007 10:46 AM

Quote:

Online it can be very difficult to tell tone, tho I'm sure you are aware of this. When someone asks a question on SCS it is probably safest to assume they are honestly unclear on what the answer is, not that they are getting their jollies by asking questions. Sometimes it seems like posters are phrasing their questions in really sarcastic or derogatory ways, but when that happens I try to give the benefit of the doubt, myself.

Mahloumel 05-19-2007 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeniseH
.....maybe I will donate them to a playground that uses shredded rubber stamps for a safety cushion ;).

I am more than open to any donations you care to make to my personal stamping playground!!!!!

deeth1 05-19-2007 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeniseH
I do to. They are all sitting in a box unused because "I" think they are a pain in the neck..........maybe I will donate them to a playground that uses shredded rubber stamps for a safety cushion ;).

Send them my way! I would love to have any that you aren't using!

Joan B 05-19-2007 10:59 AM

As a former demo for SU, I would love SU to sell high quality clear stamps because I would like to continue to buy SU stamp sets, but I don't expect them to and I don't fault them for not doing so.

It is a private company and up to the owners to make these decisions based on market share, personal whim, whatever! Maybe they just don't want the hassle of branching out in that direction or just want to be the biggest seller of wood mounted.

The owners are richer than I'll ever be so I'm not going to second guess their decisions!!

Mahloumel 05-19-2007 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeth1
Send them my way! I would love to have any that you aren't using!

Sorry, Deeth, but I think Confusion is a LOT closer to Texas than Ohio!

plkelley 05-19-2007 11:13 AM

Quote:

I have to agree that in the last 2 years you see many "mainstream" stampers going unmounted. If that were not the case why would my JoAnn local store have gotten rid of ALL their wood stamps and replaced them with a huge section of UMs? Why would Craft Warehouse who is the biggest stamp store chain in the NW and used to only stock woodmounts, now have almost a complete wall of UM's? Why would the local scrap and stamp store carry only UMs? Why would Target, Walmart, Shopko, and BiMart be stocking almost completely only UMs? Do they not understand trends? Why would new companies like Rubber Romance and Paper Trey be taking stampers by storm so much that they cannot even begin to anticipate how fast they will grow and are backordered within hours of putting out new sets? Why would A Muse, famous for their woodmounted stamps, be bringing in UM sets? Hmmmmmm, all these companies have savvy research and marketing people. Where could they be getting the idea that UM is the new trend?

I guess the question now becomes which of these companies actually manufactures ALL their own stamps? (I know SU does not manufacture their own wheels.) If they don't own and operate their manufacturing facilities, perhaps the comparison is not fair.

housefan 05-19-2007 11:16 AM

I don't care who manufactures for whom. I like companies that cater to what we like!!!

Teresa65 05-19-2007 11:21 AM

Mounted vs Unmounted

This discussion could probably go on for a long time. I don't care one way or the other if SU! gives the option or not. What I would care about is the quality of the stamps offered. It's not like I wouldn't try the unmounted. I've actually gone on these websites to see them. I just haven't found any that are as nice as the ones that SU! has to offer. So, my only fear would be if SU! went to unmounted would the nice selection that we have now continue. Now that being said, I work 60 hour weeks and have 2 preteen daughters, so I don't have the time for the unmounted either, so it may bias my opinion at this point in my life. I also have the space, so its not an issue. We're all different and that's probably why these companies do so well.

T

SouthernStorm 05-19-2007 11:27 AM

Quote:

To me, the fact that that have been around so long and yet wood mounting is still so popular speaks for itself. UM is a good option, a lot of folks love it, but wood mounts are still a strong selling feature for a whole lot of other folks.

Sooner or later, I imagine SU will begin to work in selling unmounted rubber. But since Shelli DID say she couldn't see SU going to "acrylic," I wouldn't be holding my breath for THEM, lol! I just don't think I'd be switching to all UM. Those hundreds of um's I have? Very few get used anymore. They're more trouble than they're worth most days.

Wow! I nearly fell outta my chair!! Betsy, I had no idea. I'm fairly new to the stampin' world (abt 3 yrs.) and really thought the UM rubber concept is probly 5 or so yrs. old. What was used to mount them, say, pre 1997? Was it acrylic blocks? Apparently, ppl didn't just buy them UM to then mount onto wood to make them useable, or your hundreds would be too.

Mel, you cracked me up.. bark eaters!! :o :-D