Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Mounted or unmounted . . . what do you actually have? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/mounted-unmounted-what-do-you-actually-have-279814/)

PinkyPapers 08-21-2007 11:55 AM

Mounted or unmounted . . . what do you actually have?

Okay. I keep reading posts about how SU! should offer some version of unmounted stamps, whether it be clear polymer or rubber without having to pay for the blocks. So I'm wondering, are we hearing the loud voices of just a few people or is going completely unmounted really something that a lot of stampers are doing?
Personally, I'd say that about 3/4 of my stamps are mounted stamps and the other 1/4 are either unmounted rubber or clear polymer. I buy stamps for the images, not for how much space they take up in my stamping cupboard. I am not a stamp hoarder, I don't own hundreds of stamp sets. I figure that if I run out of room, I can always sell off some of the sets that I've either never used, or sets I've over used. I mean, how many Happy Bird Day cards from the Tickled Pink set can I make. People are going to get tired if I keep sending them flamingos year after year.

Dobby 08-21-2007 11:57 AM

If we're wishing here, I'd love to make my wood stamps clear. LOL! I have mostly mounted stamps, and love the convenience. I just hate positioning them sometimes. I also like having something solid in my hand when I stamp.

kthaman 08-21-2007 12:00 PM

I unmount anything that I get that is already mounted and I don't bother with SU's wood. I would love for SU to offer a discount for purchasing a set with no wood. I can understand why they don't want to go clear, but I would love to save a buck or two and not deal with wood.

angelina0783 08-21-2007 12:00 PM

Almost all of my stamps are mounted. I like the wood mounted stamps. Just recently did I begin buying the polymer clear stamps. I like them as well but prefer the wood mounted. I think it is just up to what you like is what you do.

Babsnelson 08-21-2007 12:01 PM

I voted as mostly wood with some unmounted, but that's a bit deceptive. I've been collecting stamps for over 20 years now. All of my older stamps are wood mounted, but any NEW stamps I buy, I prefer to get unmounted. I just don't have the storage space. For what I buy now, I would say I'm more like 1/2 and 1/2.

kphorse 08-21-2007 12:07 PM

Everything is unmounted except my big Background stamps. I leave the wood mount so I can stand on them!

robynstamps 08-21-2007 12:10 PM

I unmounted ALL my stamps last Fall. I have never regretted it for one minute. Love this system for me!!

chickers089 08-21-2007 12:13 PM

I voted all unmounted, but I do have a few LARGE stamps that I have kept on the wood. i.e. background stamps and others of comparable size.

Maxell 08-21-2007 12:21 PM

I don't have a lot of stamps and don't have room for many. I started out with wood mounted and have bought some clear ones. I really like most of the clear ones-especially using Palette Hybrid inks and ColorBox fluid chalk inks. I remove wm rubber, from mostly sentiments and small images, temporarily mount on an acrylic block using removable double sided tape, if needed; stamp image, clean and then put back on the wood. Works really well. Most times you get enough stickiness from unmounting to hold on the acrylic blocks.

Some people don't want to mess up their mounted stamps. I am 68 years old, neither of my daughters are interested in stamping so I have no idea what is going to happen to my stamps after I am gone--so--I enjoy using them so it is easier for me.

If I have a choice, I buy unmounted rubber.

ladyfergie 08-21-2007 12:24 PM

all unmounted rubber (TAC) and stored in CD cases.

The only way to go for me!

cbet 08-21-2007 12:42 PM

I buy unmounted or unmount when I get them, except for my House Mouse. I can't explain why - somehow they just seem to belong on their wood.

momis mama 08-21-2007 01:29 PM

i prefer wood mounted...

if i buy it un mounted- i mount it on wood as soon as i get it home!

fionna51 08-21-2007 01:46 PM

I said most unmounted, a few wood mounted...only because I am not done unmounting them!!!

mischief732 08-21-2007 01:49 PM

I have a few CTMH sets that never get used because they're in a drawer and I forget about them! The rest are mostly SU, in their boxes, on a shelf where I can see them. I did but some TAC Halloween sets last year, I ended up wood mounting them and storing them on the shelf. Now they are getting used as well!
Melisa

AmberDawn 08-21-2007 01:58 PM

I voted for mostly wood/some unmounted! I'm toying with the idea of unmounting all my woodies, but I'm skeered!

cardmaker2 08-21-2007 02:05 PM

I have a few clear stamps that have to go on blocks, I got them only because I loved the images. I much prefer the feel of wood mounted; could be because I first started that way over 3 years ago, and just got used to that. I will likely always be a wood girl....there is carpentry in my background!

cardmaker2 08-21-2007 02:07 PM

OK. so I failed to state that I have mostly wood in my opening statement. That was implied later but I thought I should clarify!

cdjkssss 08-21-2007 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmberDawn (Post 6925859)
I voted for mostly wood/some unmounted! I'm toying with the idea of unmounting all my woodies, but I'm skeered!

I'm scared, too, but I'm gonna do it! We've been remodeling this summer, and I have moved the entire collection three times. What's really scary is that the craft room stuff expands every time it's moved. Never never fits back in the same amount of space. So it's going to be unmounted in CD cases for me. I even pm'd robynstamps for moral support. She's my hero.

doxiegal 08-21-2007 03:25 PM

Mine are almost all unmounted and I am in the process of finishing them up. After much debate, I even broke down and unmounted my beloved House Mouse stamps! I love it!

gmcbunny 08-21-2007 03:31 PM

Almost all of mine are unmounted - even the SU! stamps I purchase remain off blocks - I personally love the ease of storage

MTgal 08-21-2007 04:20 PM

I personally know about 30 stampers and only one is still using wood.

Julie1 08-21-2007 04:47 PM

I voted for all wood mounted. I have a few of the unmounted $1 stamps from Michaels and I never use them. i am just more comfortable with the wood. :)

MNCarol 08-21-2007 05:00 PM

All wood mounted for me. I tried several different types of clear stamps because I liked the images...But:

1) earliest came from stamping aisles of craft stores (didn't take long and they went into yard sale bin);

2) bought several CTMH to help a friend out but not any better luck over the next year of trying (gave away 5 envelopes and sold 10 envelopes -- didn't keep any);

3) tried TAC unmounted rubber stamps -- getting closer to a good impression but happier with them once I bought wood blocks to mount them permanently.

All in all, I wasted wasted an great deal of cardstock trying to get an impression that I was able to use. Don't have that problem with my wood mounted stamps (either SU or stamping store brands like Hero Arts, Northwoods, Penny Black, Great Impressions, etc) Would have been farther ahead to not have wasted my money on the unmounteds.

Carol in Minnesota

MTgal 08-21-2007 06:06 PM

Wow!! At least 76% as of this moment have at least some unmounted. I knew the trend was HOT, but this blows me away!!

KimberlyinMN 08-21-2007 06:41 PM

I voted mostly unmounted with some wood mounted. I just haven't finished unmounting all of them yet. ;)

MikiBee 08-21-2007 06:47 PM

I also voted mostly Unmounted--some mounted. The only ones that I have that are on wood are the ones I was unable to unmount (Michael's $1 wood stamps, etc.)

I didn't do it for the storage so much, although that's a HUGE bonus. I mainly did it for ease of placement. I wasted so much cardstock trying to place my image right, and didn't want to have to do the whole stamp-a-majig thing every single time.

So like some others, my SU sets never see the wood, they go directly onto EZMount. TAC already does that for me--yay! But I also like the clear stamps, although I don't have very many.

snowkat 08-21-2007 06:49 PM

I think most are going to say at least some unmounted as there are so many companies out there that sell stamps that way - it would be pretty hard to not have at least some unmounted in one's collection, ie, very few that would only have wood mounted, no? JMHO. = )

Kathy

snowkat 08-21-2007 06:51 PM

p.s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTgal (Post 6929394)
Wow!! At least 76% as of this moment have at least some unmounted. I knew the trend was HOT, but this blows me away!!

Sorry - meant to say my post was in response to this stmt....

Kathy = )

snowkat 08-21-2007 07:05 PM

Oops, just looked at the results for wood mounted only and am surprised that there are that many - esp. considering all the different types and kinds of stamps. I would bet that a lot, possibly most? of the "mostly wood mounted some unmounted" people only have some unmounted because they have found stamps that they like the image of that aren't mounted - not because they chose them because they were unmounted - ie, it's probably more than 50% that prefer "mounted" - at this time anyway. Just another thought looking at the results. I could be way off of course. = )

Kathy

jtax 08-21-2007 07:14 PM

Most of my stamps are wood mounted, but I do have a binder with some unmounted rubber and a few sets of clear stamps. I really do prefer the wood mounted stamps, even though I do travel with them and they are heavy and take up space - they just feel better and I like how they stamp!

immzw4 08-21-2007 07:18 PM

I unmounted all but three of my SU! sets, and those are three I rarely/never use that I know are rare sets and might be worth something if not taken off their wood blocks. The rest, I use, and I prefer to use unmounted stamps. I didn't unmount to save space, though that sure is a side benefit. I bought SU! first, just a few sets, then I bought a few unmounted images and absolutely fell in love with the freedom unmounted gives me. Most of the time, I don't need a stamp-a-ma-jig at all, and I get my images right where I want them.

Unlike others I've been reading, I don't mind having the extra wood blocks. My son plays with them. I craft with them. It's all good. Would I like a "no wood", money saving option from SU!? Darn straight I would, but I cope (as my very full stamp cabinet shows).

amysings 08-21-2007 08:03 PM

I own about 90% wood mounted stamps, a very few unmounted rubber (which rarely see the light of day), and several photopolymer sets which get used often. I love the feel of real wood in my hands, although I have a great appreciation for the ease of placement with *clear* stamps.

Sairabee 08-21-2007 08:05 PM

All of my stamps are wood mounted except for three bellas and a handful of cute little acrylics I got from my last secret sister.

StephStamps1982 08-21-2007 08:08 PM

My stamps are all SU! and all wood mounted! There's nothing more thrilling to me than getting a new stamp set, having to cut it and then mount it...that's the fun part...you work to cut and mount and then you are free to play whenever you like...I never have issues with not getting my images where I want them...I find it more difficult to use other people's stamps than my own...I used clear stamps once...or twice and hated the image...I would be completely turned off by SU! if they went clear...just my thoughts on the matter.

Happy Stampin! God Bless!

JanTInk 08-21-2007 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTgal (Post 6929394)

Yes, but around 63% have mostly wood mounted, if not all wood mounted. Not that hot. ;)

I'll agree with another poster; the only reason I have any that are unmounted is because that was the only way I could get the images I wanted. ANd I also have to say I don't use those stamps very much. They are too big of a pain to get out, find a block to fit, then have to clean them so I can use the block for a different stamp. They don't fit the way I stamp, but I do understand that there are people who love them...but from the looks of things, most people who've voted are not among them.

pinkprincess 08-21-2007 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInk (Post 6931552)
Yes, but around 63% have mostly wood mounted, if not all wood mounted. Not that hot. ;)

I'll agree with another poster; the only reason I have any that are unmounted is because that was the only way I could get the images I wanted. ANd I also have to say I don't use those stamps very much. They are too big of a pain to get out, find a block to fit, then have to clean them so I can use the block for a different stamp. They don't fit the way I stamp, but I do understand that there are people who love them...but from the looks of things, most people who've voted are not among them.

I agree with jantink, My CTMH sit & sit & sit, now I wish I did not get them, but was in a club. I also think if I UM my SU! I would be in trouble , b/c visually I think I needed more to fill up my space -so it wood mounts helps some of us with our visual feeling of I have enough stamps! LOL

Stampin' Meg 08-21-2007 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kthaman (Post 6924505)
I unmount anything that I get that is already mounted and I don't bother with SU's wood. I would love for SU to offer a discount for purchasing a set with no wood. I can understand why they don't want to go clear, but I would love to save a buck or two and not deal with wood.

Great idea-I'd love that option- and have all the SU! stamps predie cut rubber :)

PinkyPapers 08-21-2007 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immzw4 (Post 6930661)
Most of the time, I don't need a stamp-a-ma-jig at all, and I get my images right where I want them.

My aim is so bad that even when I'm using clear polymer stamps I sometimes end up using the stamp-a-ma-jig!

BTW, thanks for all of your replies to my OP. Another question . . . for those of you who have gone 100% unmounted, how much of your decision to do so was based on storage issues? If you had the extra space, would you prefer mounted?

JampsterStampster 08-21-2007 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kthaman (Post 6924505)

Yes, and yes and yes! to all those things.

I've emailed SU about it. They gave me some placating answer.

MikiBee 08-21-2007 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkyPapers (Post 6931926)
Another question . . . for those of you who have gone 100% unmounted, how much of your decision to do so was based on storage issues? If you had the extra space, would you prefer mounted?

Space wasn't really an issue, although at the rate I buy stamps, it sure would have been. I was VERY nervous about UM my SU stamps, but once I tried it, I'd never go back. I have trouble at my monthly hostess club using the wood-- I can never get the image where I want it without a stampamajig.