Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   More Martha Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/more-martha-talk-245043/)

mrs_hawkins 05-01-2007 08:25 AM

More Martha Talk

I was watching Martha today and she was showing off her new craft line. She demonstrated some party favors for a bandana theme party. The bandana paper is cute. She also has a commercial for her craft line at Michael's.

LouiseG 05-01-2007 09:07 AM

I had that bandana paper in my hand -- it is very cute -- until I realized I could not use a coupon. Put it right back.

Kris McGinn 05-01-2007 10:26 AM

I went to Michael's Friday. Her stuff is noce, but no nicer than some of the other brands out there. And it's expensive - I can't justify it. Those 18x18 scrapbooks are huge! I cna't imagine scrapping with them. Talk about expensive - the books are $80, and the paper is $2-$3 per page - yikes!

wendella247 05-01-2007 10:39 AM

I looked over all the Martha stuff at Michael's yesterday and saw some things I liked, but wasn't overly excited. 18" paper? My cutter won't even handle that size!! I did see a clear alphabet set I liked, and a couple of other things, but nothing that rang my bell THAT much. I did like a few of the bandanna things. Did you say you can't use coupons on her stuff??? Not ever?

emmiestamps 05-01-2007 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendella247
. Did you say you can't use coupons on her stuff??? Not ever?

Why not? That is silly if you can't use a coupon on her products. :rolleyes:

inego 05-01-2007 11:04 AM

A lot of manufaturers will say no coupons to make pricing fair for all retailers (think quickutz) but with Martha, it probably has more to do with it being Martha. She probably thinks her name is too good to sully with coupons.

Carol

JulieHRR 05-01-2007 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendella247
I looked over all the Martha stuff at Michael's yesterday and saw some things I liked, but wasn't overly excited. 18" paper? My cutter won't even handle that size!! I did see a clear alphabet set I liked, and a couple of other things, but nothing that rang my bell THAT much. I did like a few of the bandanna things. Did you say you can't use coupons on her stuff??? Not ever?

Evidently part of the contractual agreement is that Michael's will exclude MS product from the 40% off coupons, just as Cricut, and a few other products are excluded.

The line is debuting exclusively at Michael's now, but will be available at independent retailers in the Fall of 2007, according to various reports I've seen.

Some folks archive documents such as newpaper articles, and portraits that may not be accommodated in a 12 x 12" format, so, in a way it's kinda cool to see at least one manufacturer recognizing there may indeed be a need by some consumers for these types of products, regardless if they appeal to all consumers? :grin:

While some of the items weren't things I'd invest in, I felt there was a good selection of items that were very competitively priced, when compared to other product lines on the market.

I personally like it quite muchly, but then, my taste doesn't currently run towards shabby chic, grunge, free-style, heavily embellished, etc.

Taste and style; always subjective--beauty in the eye of the beholder, and yadda yadda. ;)

As for the coupon, as someone mentioned: some manufacturers prefer to keep the playing field competitive for independent retailers that also carry their products (and IRs will be in the Fall of 2007), so I can understand why they would insist their products be excluded from coupon offers. I know that kinda sucks for the consumer, but, at the same time, I can see the other side of the issue, too.http://www.millan.net/minimations/sm...unnosmiley.gif

wendella247 05-01-2007 12:02 PM

Not sure why Louise said that--I'm hoping it was under special circumstances. I hate to buy anything at Mike's without a coupon, unless it's already 40-50% off!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouiseG
I had that bandana paper in my hand -- it is very cute -- until I realized I could not use a coupon. Put it right back.

wendella247 05-01-2007 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
Evidently part of the contractual agreement is that Michael's will exclude MS product from the 40% off coupons, just as Cricut, and a few other products are excluded.

The line is debuting exclusively at Michael's now, but will be available at independent retailers in the Fall of 2007, according to various reports I've seen.

Some folks archive documents such as newpaper articles, and portraits that may not be accommodated in a 12 x 12" format, so, in a way it's kinda cool to see at least one manufacturer recognizing there may indeed be a need by some consumers for these types of products, regardless if they appeal to all consumers? :grin:

While some of the items weren't things I'd invest in, I felt there was a good selection of items that were very competitively priced, when compared to other product lines on the market.

I personally like it quite muchly, but then, my taste doesn't currently run towards shabby chic, grunge, free-style, heavily embellished, etc.

Taste and style; always subjective--beauty in the eye of the beholder, and yadda yadda. ;)

As for the coupon, as someone mentioned: some manufacturers prefer to keep the playing field competitive for independent retailers that also carry their products (and IRs will be in the Fall of 2007), so I can understand why they would insist their products be excluded from coupon offers. I know that kinda sucks for the consumer, but, at the same time, I can see the other side of the issue, too.http://www.millan.net/minimations/sm...unnosmiley.gif

Thanks for the input, Julie. I guess it's no different than going to Recollections (which I understand is owned by the same people as Michael's). They never have sales. I go there when I want to find just about anything I could possibly need (and then some!), but I prefer Mike's & Joann's whenever possible since I know I can use coupons. Oh well, it is nice the line is available to people who love her products. I have to admit, it's nice quality stuff. And I have no doubt I'll be buying some items from her line!

stampinformom 05-01-2007 12:48 PM

Did you say you can't use coupons on her stuff??? Not ever?[/quote]

Never. Also I found out today, Martha's stuff won't EVER go ON SALE neither. So the price you see is the price you pay.

DeeinNJ 05-01-2007 01:34 PM

I used a 40% off coupon at Micheal's to buy one of Martha's punches... it's the one that looks like a wildflower. It's very realistic looking, especially when you ink the edges. I love it. It will save me on buying little flowers for my cards because it does look very realistic.

Don't know why, but I got the discount.

I saw a few things I liked, but overall, it's not anything earth shaking.

JulieHRR 05-01-2007 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeeinNJ
I used a 40% off coupon at Micheal's to buy one of Martha's punches... it's the one that looks like a wildflower. It's very realistic looking, especially when you ink the edges. I love it. It will save me on buying little flowers for my cards because it does look very realistic.

Well, you lucky duck, you! ;)

grannypat 05-01-2007 02:11 PM

My take to it is, if I like it, I buy it. Don't care whose it is. We have to drive 2 hrs to a michaels and they never have coupons in any of our papers, so maybe thats why I will do that. Not used to it, anyway. LOL

wendella247 05-01-2007 02:18 PM

I guess I need to be grateful--here in Phoenix we have lots of places to buy supplies. I'm spoiled!

JulieHRR 05-01-2007 02:28 PM

IKWUM. We have some shopping available here on the island--there is a sweet tiny stamp shop, and we do have a scrapbook store, but, there are limitations to what they can carry.

I just went shopping at www.marthastewartcrafts.com because who knows how long before I get another chance to go to Michael's, and it's actually cheaper for me (gas + ferry fees--around $15 trip just for the ferry, ouch!, and only if I have no passengers with me), to shop online than leave the house to get to Michael's an hour away.

So, I'll simply be looking forward to Mr. Brown paying me a visit in the near future with my new MS goodies . . . :mrgreen:

Kimastamper 05-01-2007 02:31 PM

I did buy Martha's glue at Michael's, but I wasn't

interested in her other products. Her style doesn't interest me.

Kim

clee1953 05-01-2007 02:39 PM

The Michaels' coupon I have lists 'not on Martha Stewart' right on it. I was going to buy a punch and put it back when I couldn't get a discount. The price wasn't bad, but I never buy anything full price!!

clee1953 05-01-2007 03:09 PM

Just a thought on the packaging - nice looking, but a little overdone with the metal 'hanger'. I hope all you creative people are going to find some use for it or at least recycle it. But when Martha does 'ways to help the environment' on her show, I would hope she'd look very closely at her products and find ways to keep them to a minimum.

kysmom 05-01-2007 03:23 PM

Quote:

IKWUM. We have some shopping available here on the island--there is a sweet tiny stamp shop, and we do have a scrapbook store, but, there are limitations to what they can carry.

I just went shopping at www.marthastewartcrafts.com because who knows how long before I get another chance to go to Michael's, and it's actually cheaper for me (gas + ferry fees--around $15 trip just for the ferry, ouch!, and only if I have no passengers with me), to shop online than leave the house to get to Michael's an hour away.

So, I'll simply be looking forward to Mr. Brown paying me a visit in the near future with my new MS goodies . . . :mrgreen:

I was totally thinking the same thing about you yesterday!

JulieHRR 05-01-2007 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysmom
I was totally thinking the same thing about you yesterday!

S & H was under $9 for about $45 worth of product; can't beat that, really, considering the expenses just to get off the island.

You know, Heather, there was no tax, cuz MS doesn't have a physical retail presence in WA state. :grin: How bad is tax where you are? We are 8.3% on the island, but I know other places have it worse. :(

Sara in WI 05-01-2007 03:43 PM

I stopped at Michael's yesterday. The closest store is in Dubuque, IA, about 25 miles from here. we are pretty use to having to drive either there or 70 miles to Madison. So...when in Dubuque for other things....I shop. I liked the MS stuff that I saw. If I didn't have so much other paper and stamps and punches I would sooooo buy her products. Otherwise, I think that when I need something, I'll look to her as well as the others equally. As it was, I just bought some dollar stamps and gift boxes, still spending more than planned.

kysmom 05-01-2007 03:50 PM

Quote:

S & H was under $9 for about $45 worth of product; can't beat that, really, considering the expenses just to get off the island.

You know, Heather, there was no tax, cuz MS doesn't have a physical retail presence in WA state. :grin: How bad is tax where you are? We are 8.3% on the island, but I know other places have it worse. :(

That is so great! Wasn't sure that you could even order the stuff on her website... think of all the time and money you saved!! Think tax here is 8.9%? I know it's more than you. Can't wait to see what you make with your new stuff!

jailbirdstamper 05-01-2007 03:52 PM

I took a look at her stuff and like it so very much. I didn't buy anything as I was looking for other stuff at the moment, but I was chatting with the cashier and she said no coupons on Marthas stuff ever and that they had to fight to get an employee discount but finally were told they could have it (hmmmmmm note to self, get 2nd job at Michaels to buy Martha stuff).

friendly63 05-01-2007 04:08 PM

I was just at Michaels today and saw all her new stuff. I bought the two circle punches one is scalloped one is ridged. I used a 40% coupon. The girl obviously didn't know nor did I, until I read it here. I bought some pretty daisy type flowers, small colored envies, tiny white gift sacks, paper pack with pretty colors. I did think the ribbon looked cheaply made though. The printed papers weren't that impressive to me. I don't like the woman because she broke the law went to jail and still comes out smelling like a rose. :) I on the other hand am a teacher, abide by the law and am flat broke after buying her stuff hee hee She is rich and a genius. sheesh.

scrappersister 05-01-2007 04:44 PM

Well, I am still a Martha fan. I like her taste and I like some of her scrapbooking and crafting items. I have purchased one of her punches so far and do like the quality very much. I also like that I am able to use it easily. :) I like the look of her glitter so I will be buying some of that. As for her 18x18 scrapbook I don't have a personal use for it. But if I did I would buy it. Her products seem to be good quality and like any thing else I guess we have to pay more for good quality some times. I am a shopper so I always try to get the best that I can at the best price that I can. It is too bad that MS items can not be purchased with a coupon but maybe one day they will allow it. :)

Mary

Doris 05-01-2007 04:59 PM

Quote:

OK Julie, what did you order?

propecia 05-01-2007 05:27 PM

I went to visit Michaels & Martha's aisle and I will be back to buy more. Michaels FINALLY organized their scrapbooking/paper crafting aisles and I can find stuff now!

I love Martha's stuff! I did not think that any of it (except that giant scrapbook which could be considered a weapon cause it's so heavy!) was over priced. I was good and only bought 1 punch & 1 roll of ribbon.

JulieHRR 05-01-2007 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doris
OK Julie, what did you order?

http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/evilgrin.gif

Well.

Starburst Punch
Butterfly Punch
Rose Leaf Punch
Bird Stamps, Set 1
Double Sided Floral Adhesive Images

For now.

They will accompany the Cornflower Punch, and the two spools of piped ribbon I bought when I was in the store. ;)

kysmom 05-01-2007 06:10 PM

Quote:

http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/evilgrin.gif

Well.

Starburst Punch
Butterfly Punch
Rose Leaf Punch
Bird Stamps, Set 1
Double Sided Floral Adhesive Images

For now.

They will accompany the Cornflower Punch, and the two spools of piped ribbon I bought when I was in the store. ;)

YOU GO GIRL!!

Doris 05-01-2007 06:34 PM

Cool Julie! I can't wait to see what you do with them! :-D

jailbirdstamper 05-01-2007 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeeinNJ

(raising hand)
have you made a card with it yet? I'm dying to see!!!!!!!!!!

HeatherHolbrook 05-02-2007 06:01 AM

Speaking of the bird stamps, I went to Mike's yesterday finally to see all the Martha stuff (nice but didn't buy anything) and the wood stamps are very funky, they are a very thick pressboard like wood with no curves at all, and they seemed to big for the rubber image that was mounted on them. Julie, please let us know when you stamp with them how they do! I loved the bird images but thought the blocks looks very uncomfortable.