Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Mixing different coloring media? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/mixing-different-coloring-media-563337/)

mobrien207 10-28-2012 03:47 PM

Mixing different coloring media?

Have any of you mixed different media when coloring? Like alcohol markers with distress markers with water color pencils or crayons? I don't even know if it would work or what the best ink would be do stamp with. I'm just starting out and don't have all the shades of a color I'd like in one implement, so I thought perhaps I could "mix".

As always, thanks for your input.
Mob

cobby 10-28-2012 06:37 PM

Perhaps do a search on "Mixed Media" to see what's out there. You can try here on SCS and just "Google" it to see what comes up.

the first thing that pops to mind is that of course you can mix coloring tools. Such as pencils and markers and even crayons on the same piece. But beware of how each "functions" if that makes sense. For instance, distress ink ( even in the markers ) will react with water, while alcohol markers do not. Some black inks that you might stamp your image with won't bleed with an alcohol marker but would with a distress marker. Those kind of limitations are all I can think of for you to consider before diving in an "mixing it up"! Have fun!

jackie1 10-28-2012 06:57 PM

I have mixed copics with SU markers, prisma pencils and Lyra pencils without any problems. They do recommend that you do your copic coloring first before using the other coloring items so that you don't ruin the copics. I use memento ink for stamping and I have never had a problem with it running. For watercoloring I usually use stazon ink, but I don't use copics with this ink as I have had it stain the marker tip.

cat_woman 10-28-2012 09:51 PM

I do it once in a while. I usually do it with a digi image because I know the ink from my printer doesn't bleed with either copics or pencil crayons & oms. If I want to use watercolours in the mix, I just have to do that last and spray my image with a fixative and water colour over top. So, short answer, yes you can mix your colouring mediums. Its just how you prepare the paper beforehand to accept the different pigments.

Angelnorth 10-29-2012 12:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I sometimes mix Copics and Prismacolors (couple of samples attached). As Jackie says, you need to do your Copic layer first and then use the pencils. Anything that has a waxy finish (Prismacolors, water soluble wax crayons) can gunk up your alchol marker tip as the solvent in the marker tries to "dissolve" the wax so always add wax on top of alcohol rather than the other way round.

Any time you want to mix coloring media, just try out on scrap to make sure everything works OK together (stamping ink, markers, crayons etc) and then play to your heart's content - no rules!

Beate 10-29-2012 03:31 AM

We have a few tutorials for mixing coloring mediums in our resource section. Check:

Acrylic Resist

Alcohol based Markers with Pencils

Crayon Resist

Distressed Alcohol Markers

Black Magic

Gesso Resist

Scrapjanny 10-29-2012 06:51 AM

I mix markers and pencils sometimes. Sometimes I color with the markers and then do the shading with the pencils. It's very effective.

Staz On ink should not be used with alcohol-based markers. Since both are considered solvent-based, one will dissolve the other.

justwritedesigns 10-31-2012 06:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been mixing Copics and Tombow markers (water based, similar to Marvy or SU). I found that if I lay a base color of Copics, let it dry a sec, then use a Tombow over the top, the colors are much brighter. The Copic base also does a great job of keeping the Tombows from shredding or pilling the paper like they can do w/ blending or water color techniques.

Here's an example of one I did this technique on: Apple Wreath FS295 by justwritedesigns - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Karla witha K 10-31-2012 07:44 AM

I love to mix media on my cards.
Here is a card that I did with Markers Over Pencil:
A Work of Heart: Favorites from the NEW Occasions Mini

Here is another, Crayon Over Marker:
A Work of Heart: Fabulous Christmas Wheels

Karla c(:

alicaz 10-31-2012 08:47 AM

I use Memento Tuxedo Black - then I can safely use Copics and Prisma pencils.
..and I do it all the time - I usually start with light colored Copic and then add shading with pencils.