Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-23-2007, 08:55 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Cool Mid-life crisis!

Hi everyone!
I haven't ever introduced myself, but I have been enjoying this site for several months now. You are all an incredible group of people! It has been so inspiring...and also very expensive!! Every time someone talks about a set or ribbon or tool or this or that, I HAVE to have it!! BUT...here's where my problem starts. See, I have been stamping for about 10 years, and obviously my tastes have changed, as well as the techniques. So I totally weeded out my stamp stuff last summer right before I had baby #3. It is all now nicely organized, but now I have no craft room (now baby #3's room) and am really struggling to get into some sort of routine to get out something, anything and make some cards!! I walk in there and see how much stuff I would have to pull out and just give up. I am feeling so sad about it, as I really miss it and I have soooooo much great stuff that is just sitting there!! I have been going to my demo's stamp camps and also ordering lots of great stuff from her...but the only stamping I have done has been at her stamp camps.

So those of you that don't have a room for your stamping, how do you do it without it taking over the kitchen table??? How can I get myself going??? I feel like I'm just a Stampin Up collector!! LOL
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-23-2007, 09:08 PM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Ohhhh... I can sympathize! It's sooo hard to get anything going when you have a baby to tend to. I also don't have a stamping room and I have 2 small boys running around the house, so I am in the same boat as you. I bought a small craft table at a second hand store (a very sturdy one) and covered it with a table cloth, carved out a small corner space near the family room and VIOLA my *craft room*! I put a small file cabinet on one side and bookshelf on the other and away I go. Not much room for storage though... I have taken over my china hutch and use it to store some of my non-essential supplies.

I try to do the Wednesday sketch challenges every week, that gives me some place to start. I am on the west coast, so by the time I get time to check out the challenge several cards have already been posted and they are great inspiration. Challenges in general are a great way to get in the swing of things.

Don't give up! You will get your groove back. Browse through the gallery of your favorite stamp set, that is sure to get you inspired!

Happy stamping!
Old 02-23-2007, 09:10 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Hi......

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hazzzmomy
............ how do you do it without it taking over the kitchen table??? How can I get myself going??? I feel like I'm just a Stampin Up collector!! LOL
I'm not going to be much help. Just an empathetic chatter. I do take over the dining room table often. Then I have to eat in the living room with my dish on my lap.
And talk about collecting!!!!!!! This week I got my order - 10 new sets, plus the hostess gifts. My fingers are feeling rather crabby right now. I think they are mad at me after cutting rubber for three nights in a row.
How to get moving? Just get out enough stuff (one set and some paper and ink) to work on one special card. That way you can put it away quicker.
John 3:16
Old 02-23-2007, 09:13 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks, Michelle, for your encouragement. I keep trying to think of somewhere that I could do the same thing, but I just can't come up with an idea.

I have seen the challenges...I think you're right. That will be a good place to start. Dh will be traveling for business this week, so I am really going to try and get my "groove back"!

My Blog - New!!
Old 02-23-2007, 09:15 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks, Michelle, for your encouragement. I keep trying to think of somewhere that I could do the same thing, but I just can't come up with an idea.

I have seen the challenges...I think you're right. That will be a good place to start. Dh will be traveling for business this week, so I am really going to try and get my "groove back"!

My Blog - New!!
Old 02-23-2007, 09:23 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

I'm in the same boat!! My hubby and I made some major lifestyle changes this last year so I don't have to work (well really work atleast)- we moved across the country from a nice sized 3 bedroom house with a garage to a 1 bedroom, no garage, condo. Obviously we are lacking in space so I had to get really creative with all my storage! Especially since I'm not one that likes a lot of clutter. Doesn't help that I have a TON of stamping stuff! I had my own stamp room before, so I accumulated a lot!

So I played around with a few different ways to store my stamp stuff but keep it out and useable, I have to have everything close at hand otherwise I get frustrated. What I ended up with was a corner computer desk from Staples. Hubby nailed up peg board to the cut out where the moniter is suppose to go so I could hang a lot of my tools (I loooooooooooove this!!). I measured all the cubbys (took out the annoying CD rack) and got a bunch of containers to fit all my supplies in. To one side of my desk is stack of large plastic drawers that I store my stamp sets in and I set my color caddy on it. To the other side I have two file drawers w/all my paper in it and one of those 6 plastic drawer towers that you can buy just about anywhere. I also put some drawers under my desk. I've been thinking about putting shelves up above my desk too, but so far I haven't needed that much space.

Unfortunatly it looks a bit cluttered, but I'm seriously at it for 3-6 hours a day so I haven't let it get to me. My stamping area is in our bedroom too, so no one really sees it but hubby & I.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:31 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Congratulations on Baby #3!! I like to keep my crafting items tidy but don't like putting everything away only to have to pull it all out the next time I get some moments to continue crafting. So, I have taken to tucking all the materials into an empty little box until the next time. Right now I am using the boxes that my soy milk cartons come in to do this, and it is working well. I like to keep my stamp pads separate so they don't accidentally open up, so I have all my stamp pads in another lidded, easily-accessible box. Tonight to finish up my batch of cards I started on in January, I just emptied out my soy milk box, pulled out a stamp clamshell cases of cat's eye inkpads from my little box of inkpads, and gave her go. Now I'm done! HTH, and let us know what works for you when you find it!
Old 02-24-2007, 04:37 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

We are snowbirds who live in a park model trailer in Canada and the US, 6 months each. I use a Sauder armoire. It has 2 shelves that pull out, cubbies, a fixed shelf and hanging space on the doors. The doors lock, and as soon as my 2yo goes to sleep, I open the doors, pull out the shelf and start stamping.

All my stamps are unmounted and in the CD cubbies. works really well for me.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:46 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Somewhere in the middle...closer to there, nearer to here...

I sympathize with you as it is really hard to stamp when you have to drag everything out just to do one thing. Is there some place that you could set up a table and a shelf? Store your things in a shelf and have a table nearby? Lack of space is hard! Hope you can figure out a creative solution for your stamping needs.

Shawn
Old 02-24-2007, 05:04 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

my demo has a really nice armoire in her dining room next to the table. it holds alot of stuff.

it may not hold all of your stuff but maybe you could keep the basics in there. have your stamps and maybe card stock in a closet nearby...

i sure hope you find a solution that works for you!

happy stamping and welcome to the new baby!
Old 02-24-2007, 05:11 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Michelle and Shawn are right--having a dedicated space, no matter how small, is necessary. Is there a bedroom corner available? Do you have a formal dining or living room? These formal spaces are pretty, but also pretty useless for most people. I have a friend who has an obscenely large closet and uses it for her craft space.

With three little ones, you NEED your creative outlet! Congrats on baby #3!
Old 02-24-2007, 06:23 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Gosh, I still remember "infant" days the whole issue of fitting in my moments to relax and stamp. I have a corner of a room where I stamp. I'm using our old kitchen "nook" table--the kind that has benches (with storage) that fits into a corner. Table moves up next to the bench seat.

When my kiddos were tiny, I did most of my designing in my head. When kids were napping I'd just look through my sets and see which one(s) I wanted to use. I'd leave them out on my table. I'd also keep the SU catty up near the kitchen so I could browse it between running around. I'd decide which cs colors, techique, etc between loads of laundry, changing diapers, loading the dishwasher. So, in all those little 5 & 10 minute spaces I would figure out what I thought I wanted to make. When nap time came around, I could go downstairs and pull out the necessary supplies and ponder my choices. I always made 5-8 of whatever I designed so I would have a few extra cards made when I need them. EVENUTALLY I had a finished product: 5 minutes to cut, 5 minutes to stamp, 10 minutes of coloring, 5 minutes to adhere embellisments, etc. It certainly wasn't ideal...but it did provide me that needed "time away". I enjoy my long stamping sessions now...even more..because never forget how stamping used to be 5 minutes at a time.

Good luck with finding your new stamping rhythm.

Annette
http://stamponthis.com
Old 02-24-2007, 06:28 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

I understand. I gave my craft room to my kids for a toy room because I am not only obsessed with stamps but also with buying them toys. I have a walk in closet now that I keep all of my stuff in. Everything is is rubbermaid drawers and I just pull them out to my dining room table to use. The bummer is that I have to put it all away everyday. Sometimes I will serve dinner at our kitchen table instead of putting it away in middle of a project.

Check out my gallery:

gallery:https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=98777
Old 02-24-2007, 06:38 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

I keep a round tote bag with compartments for all my immediate essentials....tools, scissors, tape, etc. I have a file cabinet and a six drawer tower with my current supplies. Under my bed I keep containers with all my other stamps and supplies. I switch out stamps and supplies as my projects change. I have a small table in my bedroom where I stamp. The file cabinet sits next to the table and holds Sizzix and cutters on the top. The drawer tower rolls under the table. Think vertical and beneath for storage!
Old 02-24-2007, 07:24 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Gosh...you have all been so helpful! I guess as other posters have mentioned, it's not only the space, it's having enough time at one sitting to complete a project. I always think to myself, this will take longer than nap time (and of course nap time must include laundry and getting dinner prepped!) so I just don't do any stamping. I need to change my mindset about that and give myself a little leeway to leave it out if I have to. I really need to do something fun and creative for me, at least a couple of afternoons a week! Thanks for all the inspiration!

My Blog - New!!
Old 02-24-2007, 08:47 AM   #16  
Inking Addict

Hi - I have two kids, and work full time plus some. My husband works full time also and then does "dad" duty in the afternoon with all of the sports....anyways, I keep all of my stuff in the closet, organized (which I am always trying to fine tune). I use SCS to give me inspiration. I pick up a set that I want to play with this week and look through all of the ideas here and come up with my own creations - or CASE one that is here.

I just love this forum - it is so encouraging and inspiring.

Good luck -
Old 02-24-2007, 09:01 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Default Brace yourself . . .

Of course, I have no idea what kind of budget you have, but, if you can afford it . . . this is absolutely one of the most ideal solutions I have *ever* seen in my life, for those with limited space:

The Original Scrap Box

...................... Paper Crafter's HEAVEN = the ability to find everything and have it all within arm's reach.

Unparalleled.

Isn't it just dreamy????????

Last edited by JulieHRR; 02-24-2007 at 09:05 AM..
Old 02-24-2007, 09:03 AM   #18  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
Of course, I have no idea what kind of budget you have, but, if you can afford it . . . this is absolutely one of the most ideal solutions I have *ever* seen in my life, for those with limited space:

The Original Scrap Box

......................THUD! Paper Crafter's HEAVEN = the ability to find everything and have it all within arm's reach.

Unparelleled.
I think I'd need like 4 of those........lol
Old 02-24-2007, 09:07 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne S
I think I'd need like 4 of those........lol

You know, I really do think, tho, that if I would just get rid of all the stuff I bought and haven't used, or bought and used to death and too bored with it to use any more, I could make this work . . . I could! I know I could!!!

Old 02-24-2007, 09:08 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

OK, 2. Mebbe I could condense it down and only need 2 of these . . .

Old 02-24-2007, 09:12 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Stamp'n In The Light

Quote:

The Original Scrap Box

...................... Paper Crafter's HEAVEN = the ability to find everything and have it all within arm's reach.

Unparalleled.

*thud* Julie you're not kidding...paper crafter's heaven. I can only dream.

Darcee, I know the feeling of not having a room to myself for stamping. I've taken over a small corner in the living room, with a craft table my DH insisted on me having. You do really need a small area to yourself. I would recommend starting out with simple cards just to get you stamping. JulieHRR's gallery is full of simple and awesome cards. One or two stamps and you're done. This should at least get the creative juices flowing and get you in a rythym. HTH
Bugaboo Digital Stamps DT Pammies Inky Pinkies Challenges DT

Old 02-24-2007, 09:12 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Stamp'n In The Light

Quote:

You know, I really do think, tho, that if I would just get rid of all the stuff I bought and haven't used, or bought and used to death and too bored with it to use any more, I could make this work . . . I could! I know I could!!!

Let me know if, and when, you ever do that. I wanna go thru it first!
Bugaboo Digital Stamps DT Pammies Inky Pinkies Challenges DT

Old 02-24-2007, 09:13 AM   #23  
Inking Addict

I'm in the same boat. The key to me is having all my stuff in one place - hidden in a large IKEA Bonde storage unit with doors that I have put child proof magnetic locks on (and so far has kept the 2 year old out). The key has been to devote a shelf to my current work in progress. I have a large work mat and I scrap/stamp on the dining room table. When I'm done I, but usually not finished, with the current project I just slide the work mat and all the goodies on the shelf so I can just pull it out and continue when I'm ready. So I don't take away lots of storage room, the shelf height is much less than the height of the other shelves. Not sure that's totally understandable but it is working for me!
Old 02-24-2007, 09:18 AM   #24  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Get rid of stuff.....you're joking, right???
Old 02-24-2007, 09:24 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Get rid of stuff.....you're joking, right???
OK, 3.

THREE of 'em, and I could do it!

Old 02-24-2007, 09:33 AM   #26  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Okay...you ladies are cracking me up. I love The Original Scrap Box!!!! Me to DH: "Honey...may I use some of our over-paid tax $$ on one of these.....puleeeez". Don't think he'd go for it. Shucks!

Right now I have my stuff in two different areas of the house, and it's a pain.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:37 AM   #27  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

OK, 3.

THREE of 'em, and I could do it!

I think you better get 4.......just in case.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:41 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by raduse
*thud* Julie you're not kidding...paper crafter's heaven. I can only dream.
I swear, if I ever move again (and lose my little studio), this is the route I'm takin'!!!

Quote:

Darcee, I know the feeling of not having a room to myself for stamping. I've taken over a small corner in the living room, with a craft table my DH insisted on me having. You do really need a small area to yourself. I would recommend starting out with simple cards just to get you stamping. JulieHRR's gallery is full of simple and awesome cards. One or two stamps and you're done. This should at least get the creative juices flowing and get you in a rythym. HTH
Thanks, Bonnie!

Darcee, I do think Bonnie's suggestion is a good one, tho! Save the fancy techniques or labor intensive ideas for when you do have the leisure to execute 'em. (I seem to be livin' for that day of late . . . but, that's another discussion for another time, chuckle!)

All kidding aside, I have found that a strong focal image, plus a sentiment stamp, with mebbe a little patterned paper and a pre-fab base card can really help me feel accomplished when time is short! I also limit the embellishments I use . . . but, that may be due to my own psychological wh'ore-ding issues, more than anything else . . . Julie =

Bwa ha haaaaaaaaaa!!!

"Think-time" prior to creating a design is often the most time-consuming part, so scoping out some tried & true layouts from the gallery can be extremely helpful, and lead to feeling productive.

Go forth and stamp happy!
Old 02-24-2007, 09:42 AM   #29  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

I think you better get 4.......just in case.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:52 AM   #30  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

The Original Scrap Box

Unparalleled.

ohmygosh! I don't have space issues and I want some of those!!!
And Julie...add me to your list to notify if you decide to get rid of stuff (I won't hold my breath, tho! Bwahahaaha!)
Old 02-24-2007, 03:50 PM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

I remember those days well - infants and no stamping space. With such little windows of opportunity to stamp, I had to take time to organize my stamping efforts. All of my supplies were kept in plastic bins in a closet. When I wanted to work on something, I would take out the absolute necessities and a few other items that fit in a basket the size of a large serving tray with two handles. I would take that to the dining room table, stamp for a bit, then put everything back in the basket when we needed to eat. Periodically I would add more items from my closet. Eventually I would have to weed out things when the basket was overflowing. My projects were very simple and the same colors were used for a while, but at least I could enjoy stamping. I also was not able to use many sets at a time due to limited space. Watercoloring worked best - least amount of supplies with the most color impact. My card stock was in a filing cabinet in the closet so was easy to access at any time. But I also did not have near as much "stuff" as I do now...

I now have a craft room, but still use my basket idea when I want to stamp in our family room to be with my family. But that's when I'm mass producing and know exactly what I need.

mother of two stampers: Breana (1 and Nicolas (15)
my gallery
Old 02-25-2007, 08:16 AM   #32  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hazzzmomy
So those of you that don't have a room for your stamping, how do you do it without it taking over the kitchen table??? How can I get myself going??? I feel like I'm just a Stampin Up collector!! LOL
Hi!
I hope you can find yourself a small corner where you can set up shop for yourself. Even if it is an eyesore, the benefits for you will be huge!

And whether you can find a corner or not, have you considered hiring a neighborhood tween or teen to come and entertain your children (even just the older two) for a few hours at a time while you are actually there in the house stamping? Plan a crockpot meal for dinner (there's a great thread with fabulous recipes) and stamp away!!
Old 02-25-2007, 08:18 AM   #33  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teamk
Hi!
I hope you can find yourself a small corner where you can set up shop for yourself. Even if it is an eyesore, the benefits for you will be huge!
I should clarify: MY space is in my formal dining room and it is most definitely an eyesore, but I have decided I don't care because I prefer my special space to a fancy schmancy room.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:24 AM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

Hello! I know exactly what you mean! I have a 3 mo old, 2 1/2 yr old & a 4 1/2 yr old. My dining room table is perfect since I can see everything that goes on (and a lot goes on!!) but it is a pain to take out and put away. I don't know if this helps but I try to visualize what I project I want to work on and only pull out those items I'll need. Call it sad but I think I'm successful if I get an image stamped and colored in one day! LOL!! Even though I don't get to complete a project in a day I am at least creating, and that's what's fun for me.

I sympathize with you!

~ Shelly
Old 02-25-2007, 09:45 AM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

Finding space and time are a problem! Plus, add kids who want to "help" or stamp too. I keep my stamps and supplies in a kitchen cupboard (my kitchen is big enough for this). For a while I was storing my stamps in the basement. I have a notebook with pictures of all of the stamp sets I own. That way I could pick a set, grab it from it's hiding place and bring it into the kitchen. I do the 5-10min "method" that PaperRapt mentioned. I do everything in increments. I can cut paper while browning hamburger, stamp an image while on the phone, etc. To get your groove back you may have to set aside a specific time and just start creating (or CASE-ing).
Don't worry about tomorrow, each day has enough trouble of it's own. (Matthew 6:34)
Old 02-25-2007, 10:01 AM   #36  
Matboard Maniac

I can relate to you in away. I don't have children and I don't currently have my own space to scrap or card make. Over the years I have gotten so fustrated because by the time I pull out all my items to make a card or page I relize I need something else and I put more time into lugging everything out then putting it all away then I do the actual page. I was lucky if I did a page a year. This year what I have been doing is I keep a sketch book of all my page and card ideas. I write down what color cs I want to use, embellishments etc. Then when its time to scrap I pull out my book and then I take a large gift bag from the $1 store put all the stuff thats on my list into the bag and head to the table. I may have to go back to my stuff and pull out a thing or two but I actual spend more time scraping this way and not digging through my stash. So far this year I have gotten 3 pages done. I'm on a roll and hope to keep it that way.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:09 AM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Well, my kids are grown, but I have two cats, so I have to keep my stuff away from them. I have a table in my bedroom and two shelving units for my stamps and accessories and a paper storage unit. Of course, that is not enough space for everything, so I have baskets with other miscellaneous stuff. My stamp pad carousel is on the table, along with a small three-drawer storage unit that holds my spots and other miscellaneous inks (I've ordered the carousel extender), embossing stuff, etc. My big paper cutter, background stamps, & other storage is under the table. With my February order coming soon (I was hostess, so I got a whole lot of stuff), I'm going to have to make more room, too. As for stamping time, it is hit-and-miss, as I have other activities I'm involved in, too. Plus I like this site so much I spend entirely too much time on it - LOL. Maybe, when I retire in 70 years or so, I'll have plenty of time for stamping.....sigh.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:30 AM   #38  
Stampin' Fool

I have taken over a corner of our master bedroom. I have a desk, two rolling chests with 4 drawers, several smaller plastic drawer sets, and one of those white laminate storage units from Target that has 9 sections to it. I added doors to the bottom three sections and have fabric drawers in 4 sections and left the other two sections open. I like it because the drawers coordinate with the colors in our bedroom and hold a lot. This storage unit holds all my sets, wheels, mono refills, misc stamps in the 9 sections. Plus you have a shelf on the top to put more on. I keep my cropper hopper paper files on top.