Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-20-2007, 08:38 PM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So naughty!!!

I *SO* want to stay home and stamp! I had yesterday off. But, went shopping with my momma.
I can't stamp on the weekend because my creativity is just *gone!* (As a 5th grade teacher, they suck the life/creativity out of me!) LOL
But, I have track break (think broken up summer vacation) from March 6th on! So, I can't really justify staying home. BUT I want to!
Oh the dilemas of life! And work!
~Kendra
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 09:53 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

I'd do what you want to do and stay home and stamp.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2007, 02:16 AM   #3  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 94 Likes on 52 Posts

I feel exactly the same way today. I can feel your pain!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2007, 03:21 AM   #4  
Vee
Glitter Guru

March 6th is pretty soon. Think of a goal to do something BEFORE track break that has been daunting you or something that would be good to get done but you just never get to it. You will be focused on that and pretty soon the break will be here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2007, 04:30 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Stay home and stamp ... that's what sick days are for. (I hardly EVER miss work for being sick. So, I use some of my sick days as stamp days!!!!!) Have fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2007, 05:53 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

AND it's snowing outside! I just woke up a discovered that. Kids and snow days are crazy! Too late for today!
Vee... I actually agree with you. I would feel way guilty if I took a day off. So... a goal. Hmmm get to work. LOL
I have several... that's why I can't stamp. Too many irons in the fire!
Anyways... thanks for telling me it would be okay!
~Kendra
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2007, 06:28 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hate to be a party-pooper but work should come first. I've been at my job nearly five years and I work year-round, no summers off for me. I have missed exactly 4 days of work when I had knee surgery. It's hard sometimes when you don't feel like going to work but you have a responsibility to your job and that should come first. Stamping is something to be done in your free time and it sometimes suffers but that's life. I guess I'm from the old school since I'm nearing retirement age but sick leave is something to be used when you are really sick and not when you feel like you need some free time. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2007, 06:31 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

When your last day on earth comes will you wish you had spent more days stamping or more days working? If you can afford a day off, it is healthy to take them now and then. Does wonders for balance in your life and for your mental health. You are not indispensable to anyone but YOU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2007, 06:35 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I too work all year around. But I occasionally need "mental health" days. I then take a vacation day. But I don't tell DH because then he would find "errands" for me to run. I'm looking forward to retirement I only have 3,966 days to go.

Work in progress - 27lbs gone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2007, 08:14 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

but Sue, you aren't counting are you?!?!
Gosh, I'm only 23... can you imagine what my count would be?!?!

I'm at the school guys, so obviously I care! I was just sayin'!

~Kendra
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2007, 08:25 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh, I'm counting all right. Heck, I'm even planning things I will do when I retire. I know that I won't be able to afford to buy many stamps so I am stocking up on all I can now. That way I will only have to spend my pension on cardstock, envelopes and stamps.

Then too, my stamps will all be collectibles and who know I may be able to sell them and finance a trip ...... to the grocery store.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2007, 08:53 AM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by apigonfire
I *SO* want to stay home and stamp! I had yesterday off. But, went shopping with my momma.
I can't stamp on the weekend because my creativity is just *gone!* (As a 5th grade teacher, they suck the life/creativity out of me!) LOL
But, I have track break (think broken up summer vacation) from March 6th on! So, I can't really justify staying home. BUT I want to!
~Kendra
OMG!!! THAT WAS ME ON TUESDAY!!!

I had FINALLY finished organizing my craft room aftre our move (we arrived in Germany and I was hired to teach middle school math the first day of school - this is my first year teaching too!) and I SO didn't want to go to school! I jumped up and down in front of my hubby like a little kid "I don't wanna go to work today!! I wanna stay home and STAMP MY LITTLE HEART OUT!!" He actually encouraged me to stay home and enjoy the day - I work hard and am getting over a nasty cold bug.

I should have listened to - my reward for going to work on a staff development day? 1/3 of the staff didn't go, against principal's orders, and as I result I was forced to head up a committee on top of all my prior committments - I barely have time to TEACH with all the administrative BS they have me doing! I am so mad - I worked hard to be a teacher, I love teaching, I love math - and most of my time is occupied with administrative crrrrrrrrrrrrrrrap! What is WRONG with this picture???

Anyway, thanks for making me feel ike I am not alone. (Next time - let's BOTH stay home!!)

~CMC
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2007, 10:30 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear ya! I just had a 4 day weekend and still wanted to play hooky--so, it's not just the teachers, it's the administrators, too who feel it and need mental health days to play and recharge!

Check out my blog

Here's my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2007, 01:07 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

I'm a special ed. teacher and we had a snow day this week and one last week. Without those I think I would have had to take a "mental health" day. I think it's just as important to take care of our mental health as it is our physical health. Those kids can suck the creativity out of us and sometimes I just don't want to be in charge!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2007, 01:43 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by racersmama
I'm a special ed. teacher and we had a snow day this week and one last week. Without those I think I would have had to take a "mental health" day. I think it's just as important to take care of our mental health as it is our physical health. Those kids can suck the creativity out of us and sometimes I just don't want to be in charge!
I can relate! I was going to take a sinus/mental health day and we ended up having a snow day! Not as relaxing with my 2 kids at home but I did get some stamping in!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2007, 05:59 PM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

Thanks gals!
The snow wasn't too bad though! And I do have track break coming! Let me count the days!
~Kendra
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2007, 06:19 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Guess I should feel special....I'm 50 ...almost 51.....and never worked a day in my life...went straight from home to college to marriage....had 2 children..did all the school & mom stuff...now its just me,TV, and my stamp room!!!And some days I don't even stamp...like today! Too much TV going on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2007, 07:27 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

I figure I have 6,336 days left to work until I retire. How depressing is that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2007, 08:01 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

It sounds like a lot of days, but it is surprising how fast they go by. It seems like just last year I was looking at that number too. But if you start stocking up now on your stamping supplies - you will have all you need for retirement.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2007, 10:23 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

I can certainly relate to a desperate need for a mental health day now and then, as I recall my years as a public school teacher . . .

I *loved* teaching . . . but, I ended up leaving the field of education, because I always felt *so* drained that I had nothing left for my own two children . . . :(

Quote:

~Kendra
Many folks don't realize how taxing on the mind and spirit being a teacher actually is, and that summers off, aren't typically long relaxing vacations; they are usually spent attending classes to maintain one's teaching certificate/credentials, as required by the state, and on the teacher's own meager salary, to boot.

Most teachers I know are dedicated to putting in more overtime hours than many realize, for which they are, and *never* will be compensated.

Hang in there, Kendra!

As a parent, and, former teacher, I would have a hard time begrudging you a day or two of mental health taken throughout the school year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2007, 10:44 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

As a first grade teacher I do believe that one sometimes needs a "mental health" day... I love my work but the kids do drain you and anyone who doesn't think so can come be me for a day with my 25 students!!! Seriously- sometimes we all need a break. In my opinion, that's what sick days are for. Mental health is just as important as physical health. That's my 2 cents on the subject.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2007, 08:14 PM   #22  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
I can certainly relate to a desperate need for a mental health day now and then, as I recall my years as a public school teacher . . .

I *loved* teaching . . . but, I ended up leaving the field of education, because I always felt *so* drained that I had nothing left for my own two children . . . :(

Many folks don't realize how taxing on the mind and spirit being a teacher actually is, and that summers off, aren't typically long relaxing vacations; they are usually spent attending classes to maintain one's teaching certificate/credentials, as required by the state, and on the teacher's own meager salary, to boot.

Most teachers I know are dedicated to putting in more overtime hours than many realize, for which they are, and *never* will be compensated.

Hang in there, Kendra!

As a parent, and, former teacher, I would have a hard time begrudging you a day or two of mental health taken throughout the school year.
Gosh! I would have loved you for a teacher Julie! Let me guess, 3rd grade? You just look like a 3rd grade teacher!
Well... I brought tons of stuff home with me to work on, but I'm going to do it after I stamp a bit! LOL. I just gots stuff I want to do. Plus, I made a trip to Archivers. I wasn't a terrible girl, but I did get some new paper!
I did make something for myself last night and stayed up late doing it. But, I didn't feel bad. It felt good to stamp for myself.
I will have March off - so lots of stamping for me.
Thanks for your kind words Julie.... I do just feel like the creativity is sucked out of me at times. It wouldn't be so bad, except that this is my outlet. My one thing that I have that makes me feel unbelievably creative and happy. So, I enjoy being able to have that release.

So, hopefully I will post some more stuff this weekend!
Again, thanks for the kind words!
~Kendra
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2007, 07:12 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR

Hang in there, Kendra!

Thank you, Julie, from a Kindergarten teacher! Unless you are related to or close to a teacher, you don't really know how much time/energy teachers put in year round!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2007, 07:34 PM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Kendra...I feel your pain! I am a kindergarten teacher (actually a PK/K multi-age ESL class this year) and I am always exhausted! I usually get to work about 6:45 am and almost always stay until 6pm. (Granted, I am a perfectionist, over-achieving workaholic!) I used to never stamp. I'd get home, do a few (very few) chores, eat dinner and fall asleep in front of the TV.

I still get home really late (but I don't work on school stuff at home!), but I make it a point to stamp several times a week. I actually force myself to, even if I'm tired. Because, after I get into it, I don't feel tired anymore. And it gets my mind off of school! Before, even if I tried not to, I thought about school all the time. I'd make to-do lists in my head, replay something that happened that day, or worry about the kids.

Honestly, I feel like I'm a better teacher because I am (finally) taking this time for myself! So if you love stamping as much as I do, make some time for it during the week and force yourself to stamp on the weekends, even a little. (Challenges have helped get my creative juices flowing).

And by all means, take a mental health day! My principal actually forced me to take 2 days off in December because I was about to crack--and they were great! Of course, then you have to write sub-plans, and that's way harder than it sounds. Again--something only teachers really get!

Have a great week!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2007, 07:40 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

I truly believe in mental health days, and I have taken them just to sleep in, stamp, sit around in my pjs, and stamp! I am a therapist, and there are some days when I know I'm not going to be effective, and I wouldn't be giving my clients the treatment they deserve if I went in, and I'm sure teaching is the same way! We all need a day off now and then, and if we've got the time and ability, I say go for it!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2007, 08:08 PM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam Schwartz
Hate to be a party-pooper but work should come first. I've been at my job nearly five years and I work year-round, no summers off for me. I have missed exactly 4 days of work when I had knee surgery. It's hard sometimes when you don't feel like going to work but you have a responsibility to your job and that should come first. Stamping is something to be done in your free time and it sometimes suffers but that's life. I guess I'm from the old school since I'm nearing retirement age but sick leave is something to be used when you are really sick and not when you feel like you need some free time. Sorry.
Uh-oh...I hate to be a trouble maker! BUT, until you have walked in our shoes, you have NO idea what it's like to be a teacher. (woops...unless you are a teacher, but it sounds like you aren't). We don't sit at a desk all day, as a matter of fact, the only time I really do sit is on the floor with the kids--criss cross, applesauce! We take multi-tasking to the extreme! I am on the go from the moment I walk in the door until the moment I leave--usually 11 or 12 hours a day. My lunch is officially 30 minutes, but by the time I get all the kids settled at their lunch and get back to the lounge, it's about 17 minutes (on a good day!)

And our freetime is never free. We do SO much "after-hours"--write lesson plans, make our own classroom materials, grade papers, write report cards--my principal just handed us all a professional book to read so we can discuss it during upcoming team meetings. When are we supposed to read it? Oh yeah--during our "free" time.

Oh--did I mention how often I go to work sick? Writing sub-plans is so hard--you have to write down every detail of your day so a complete stranger can do your job and deal with the 22 or so little, growing, needy human beings. And oh-yeah--because of all the germs I am exposed to everyday, I'm pretty much sick from October through March. But I get my butt out of bed and go to work and forget that I am sick because I am bound and determined to give my kids everything I can!

I love my job and am dedicated to the extreme, as I am sure all of the other teachers here are! (In another thread a while back--someone implied I was a bad teacher because I was venting). But we're human, and sometimes we just need a litle break. Please don't begrudge us that!

OK--I'm done venting--I promise!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2007, 10:24 PM   #27  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Gosh! I would have loved you for a teacher Julie! Let me guess, 3rd grade? You just look like a 3rd grade teacher!
Well... I brought tons of stuff home with me to work on, but I'm going to do it after I stamp a bit! LOL. I just gots stuff I want to do. Plus, I made a trip to Archivers. I wasn't a terrible girl, but I did get some new paper!
I did make something for myself last night and stayed up late doing it. But, I didn't feel bad. It felt good to stamp for myself.
I will have March off - so lots of stamping for me.
Thanks for your kind words Julie.... I do just feel like the creativity is sucked out of me at times. It wouldn't be so bad, except that this is my outlet. My one thing that I have that makes me feel unbelievably creative and happy. So, I enjoy being able to have that release.

So, hopefully I will post some more stuff this weekend!
Again, thanks for the kind words!
~Kendra
I was actually a high school teacher--Spanish. Loved it!

But, all the extra hours--paperwork/assessments, additional prep work that couldn't get completed during my prep hour, helping kids before and after school, meetings, etc. . . . all that finally took its toll . . . I just couldn't do it any more . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2007, 06:55 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

I think teachers have one of the most important jobs in the world, work the hardest, give a piece of their souls, and are very underpaid for taking care of the most important things in the world---our children. Their influence is huge in our children's lives. That alone is a huge weight to carry. These days when many of the homes don't do their jobs, the teachers have to be more than just teachers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2007, 07:47 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

*HUGS* You so deserve that day of stamping! But I know what you mean about being drained at the end of it all!

I'm pretty sure I shut my blog down til further notice! Perhaps forever!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2007, 10:45 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am not a teacher, but I work in a daycare taking care of baby's all day. My class is from 8 weeks to 1 year olds. I do believe in mental health days. I think that if you do not have a break then you are not doing the best you can for the kids. I know for me the weekends are not a break. I have 2 kids of my own and my husband is deployed in Kuwait. For me weekends just means it is time to clean, do laundry, and all the other things that have to be done in the house. I would love to take a mental health day. The only problem for me is that everyone in my house has been sick lately so I missed work for that. No stamping for me on thoses days. I can not afford to take any mental health days right now. I say if you need a break then take it!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes