Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Michaels security breach (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/michaels-security-breach-586625/)

SuG 04-18-2014 12:30 PM

Michaels security breach

did you see this? Michaels confirms security breach of as many as 2.6M cards | 6abc.com

jkstampin 04-18-2014 12:35 PM

I actually already had my bank contact me and replace my debit card due to this breach at Michaels. I can't believe they have taken this long to to confirm the breach.

UnderstandBlue 04-18-2014 12:37 PM

My bank contacted me today :P

lesliespringer 04-18-2014 12:49 PM

I posted links and a list of stores affected in Announcements

Here You GO!!

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...s-t586614.html

lesliespringer 04-18-2014 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlue (Post 20601801)
My bank contacted me today :P

So sorry, My store was affected, but yet to get a call from my bank!

jkstampin 04-18-2014 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringer (Post 20601815)
So sorry, My store was affected, but yet to get a call from my bank!

wow - my bank contacted me back in February. I suppose it just depends on the bank!

JBgreendawn 04-18-2014 01:10 PM

I asked my banker in Feb. and she had no clue about any of it and had not even heard about it. ( and she shops there too) but, I had asked because, my MIL went in and had all her cards have new numbers assigned to them. and she more or less rolled her eyes but, at the time I was thinking well, they are not even online ( for shopping ) so what kind of data was breached ( kwim? )

and the funny part is now they are getting ready to roll out online shopping?!?!?

SkyNacho 04-18-2014 01:14 PM

One credit card company contacted me because I used my card there during the specified period. The bank said they'd be monitoring my account, not to worry, just report any suspicious activity.

And my debit card should be fine: it was already replaced-- after the Michael's breach period-- thanks to the Target breach.

lesliespringer 04-18-2014 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkstampin (Post 20601824)
wow - my bank contacted me back in February. I suppose it just depends on the bank!

Jan-Feb was when the story first broke. I remember because I was going to get new numbers for both my credit and debit cards.

I contacted my bank and they knew nothing about Michaels breach.

Then I call that dreadful call from my Dad. He had to have surgery and I went out of state to be with him for about 3 weeks.

My bank has yet to contact me, so I figured why change my acct numbers. I will wait for something to happen.

Nothing Yet!!

lesliespringer 04-18-2014 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawn (Post 20601827)
I asked my banker in Feb. and she had no clue about any of it and had not even heard about it. ( and she shops there too) but, I had asked because, my MIL went in and had all her cards have new numbers assigned to them. and she more or less rolled her eyes but, at the time I was thinking well, they are not even online ( for shopping ) so what kind of data was breached ( kwim? )

and the funny part is now they are getting ready to roll out online shopping?!?!?

It was the Credit and Debit card numbers that were taken. But Michaels claims no pin numbers were taken

jkstampin 04-18-2014 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringer (Post 20601888)
Jan-Feb was when the story first broke. I remember because I was going to get new numbers for both my credit and debit cards.

I contacted my bank and they knew nothing about Michaels breach.

Then I call that dreadful call from my Dad. He had to have surgery and I went out of state to be with him for about 3 weeks.

My bank has yet to contact me, so I figured why change my acct numbers. I will wait for something to happen.

Nothing Yet!!

That was what I was planning to do when I heard about it - I usually watch my accounts pretty carefully, so would notice any unusual activity. However, my bank didn't even give me a choice. They just said your old card will be inactivated on xxx date, and your new one is in the mail. I suppose they are protecting themselves from any possible liability fraudulent acitvity. I just find it interesting how different banks seem to handle things so differently!

Allistamps123 04-18-2014 02:31 PM

I ended up with a new card because of Target.

ailhelen 04-18-2014 02:53 PM

For your information
An encryption flaw called the Heartbleed bug is already being called one of the biggest security threats the Internet has ever seen. The bug has affected many popular websites and services — ones you might use every day, like Gmail and Facebook — and could have quietly exposed your sensitive account information (such as passwords and credit card numbers) over the past two years.

But it hasn't always been clear which sites have been affected. Mashable reached out some of the most popular social, email, banking and commerce sites on the web. We've rounded up their responses below.

SEE ALSO: How to Protect Yourself From the Heartbleed Bug

Some Internet companies that were vulnerable to the bug have already updated their servers with a security patch to fix the issue. This means you'll need to go in and change your passwords immediately for these sites. Even that is no guarantee that your information wasn't already compromised, but there's also no indication that hackers knew about the exploit before this week. The companies that are advising customers to change their passwords are doing so as a precautionary measure.

Although changing your password regularly is always good practice, if a site or service hasn't yet patched the problem, your information will still be vulnerable.

Also, if you reused the same password on multiple sites, and one of those sites was vulnerable, you'll need to change the password everywhere. It's not a good idea to use the same password across multiple sites, anyway.
For information on listed sites you can go to the mashable website Mashable and they list all the different places that are known to be affected.
I live in Australia and was advised by the company I work with (in the Netherlands) that they really really stressed changing all passwords.

ailhelen 04-18-2014 02:54 PM

Sorry I meant to mention they also mention shopping sites as well.

lesliespringer 04-18-2014 02:59 PM

I also posted info on Heartbleed in Announcement

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...g-t586616.html

lesliespringer 04-18-2014 03:01 PM

Here is more info on Heartbleed

Heartbleed bug: Check which sites have been patched - CNET

Heartbleed bug: Check which sites have been patched - CNET

Cartermrc 04-19-2014 07:50 AM

The US needs to upgrade and do away with the magnetic strips in cards like Europe has done. But businesses, banks, etc. are dragging their feet because they say it will be expensive. More than losing business and profits would be?

RiverIsis 04-19-2014 07:58 AM

Old cards are being phased out 2015 Chip-And-PIN Credit Card Changeover In 2015 - Business Insider

Until then sign your card with "ask for photo ID" doesn't help online but it does in person.

canada goose 04-19-2014 08:22 PM

Michaels security breach

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cartermrc (Post 20602540)
The US needs to upgrade and do away with the magnetic strips in cards like Europe has done. But businesses, banks, etc. are dragging their feet because they say it will be expensive. More than losing business and profits would be?

Canada and Europe as well as most countries have had the encrypted chips for years when they decided to combat this fraud. According to Time magazine about two months ago the U.S. has not followed suit because the cost of this fraud is less than what it would cost the u.s. to change over to these cards. However in view of these recent breaches they will be in place by 2015. It was reported that up to now the credit companies were on the hook for these debts but after 2015 the individual merchant who has not changed over will be held accountable. This was also reported in the Arizona Republic while we were there this winter.

Barbara Jay 04-20-2014 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cartermrc (Post 20602540)

We also need a law such as they have in the UK where businesses may not store a CC, Debit or bank number on their computers. They have just a few minutes to delete it after the payment authorization has been sent to them.
Hacker know our merchants store all of our info . Name address, tel number CC number and email .
Just going to chips instead of a magnetic strip will not prevent on-line CC theft. They must stop storing our data .

It only takes a few seconds for us to type in a CC number on an order .

I never use my CC locally and I have no Debit card. . I always use cash or write a check . In the "past year" 3 different numbered CC's all from same bank have been hacked . It happened again 6 weeks ago , I was sent another new card which has never been used because now I no longer buy anything on line. Nothing! I needed one thing I could not buy locally and I found a merchant who would take a Money Order.