Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Michael's is.....ODD! (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/michaels-odd-368687/)

jcarilyn 07-31-2008 04:55 AM

Michael's is.....ODD!

I have to take some of the blame on myself for this one, but I can't for the life of me figure out why Michael's would do such a thing.

I got my Sunday papers and both ACMoore and Michael's had sale flyers..yippee..good week when the both do. Anyway, put the flyers in my purse so I had them if I just "happened" to go that way. Last night, I went to Michael's as I desperately needed a new paper cutter. Looking at the flyer, there was a 20% of your entire order and the usual 40% off of one item. I pick up the Fiskars desktop trimmer, some blades, the Jasmine cartridge for the Cricut, a magazine and bubble gum that DH wanted. I put both coupons on the counter not really paying attention. The total bill is like $100 or so and the clerk says to me that the 40% off coupon is for NEXT WEEK!
Why would they put a coupon in a sale paper for the following week??? I know I should have looked, but doesn't it make sense that being as there will be more Sunday flyers the following week, that's when they would put the coupon in?? I don't know...DH was teasing me about not getting the cutter at 40% off, but he agreed that it like the "old bait and switch" deal!
Just wanted to vent...sigh....feel much better now! ;)

Carrie

Joy4lly 07-31-2008 04:59 AM

They have been doing that lately..putting this weeks and next weeks coupon in the same sales advertisement. Maybe this is to save on paper. Maybe they are 'going GREEN' and conserving trees..I don't know..but I usually hold onto my 40% and my neighbors and my clients and use them the following week.

Guess we have to get use to it. It seems they have done it several times this summer. I have a lady at my store I frequent. She is management and "Ms. Congeniality"..I say that loosely..:D I seem to get her all the time.
HTH..

JOY

deedah 07-31-2008 05:03 AM

we only get Michaels flyers every 2 weeks

shadowkat1283 07-31-2008 05:06 AM

I noticed the same thing. I went to Michaels this week with both coupons in my purse. I didn't need much but I used the 20% off coupon and will save the 40% for next week. I wondered why they would put the coupon for next week in this week's paper also. Are they trying to save money on flyers?

Kathy

kwelch10377 07-31-2008 05:16 AM

Many larger retailers are cutting back on ads, some are not doing them every week or are scaling down the number of markets they have distributed the ads in. Weekly Ads are a HUGE cost to retailers and with the economy the way it is they need to look at a way to cut costs and this is one of the ways. Lately Michaels hasn't been doing a Ad every week so most likely they put 2 coupons in the Ad this week so customers would have one for this week and next.

I don't see how it is "bait and switch" since it clearly says that the coupon is for next week.

cbet 07-31-2008 05:17 AM

I'm quite excited to get the coupon for next week - during the summer last year, the sale flyers were only in the paper every other week, so there was always a coupon-week/non-coupon week. This way, they don't have the flyer but I still get my coupon!

They've done this a couple of other times this summer.

STAMPTAYLOR 07-31-2008 05:22 AM

Check your receipt from Michael's. Mine has had 20% off on the middle of the receipt, usually good for the following week.

Got to watch the dates on all coupons.

Patrice

duffercat 07-31-2008 05:23 AM

I've seen that (coupons good for future dates) a lot with Michaels and I know I've seen it happen over the last few years, in fact.

lutheran 07-31-2008 06:21 AM

Michael's is trying a bunch of new couponing, it seems. I was in line when I noticed the dates on the 40 percent coupon. Used 20 percent one yesterday on some coloring stuff for youngest DD and tucked 40 percent away for next week for a treat for me.
Mary Beth

stampinmomnh 07-31-2008 07:33 AM

I have noticed that they have been doing that alot lately.Why I don't know.

luvpaisley 07-31-2008 09:09 AM

I've noticed that too. But I think the flyer should show that it is dated for two weeks. I guess it is kinda greener. Maybe you can just take ur receipt in with the coupon and get a credit?

phunkymama 07-31-2008 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvpaisley (Post 10745438)
I've noticed that too. But I think the flyer should show that it is dated for two weeks. I guess it is kinda greener. Maybe you can just take ur receipt in with the coupon and get a credit?

The sale flyer itself isn't good for two weeks, only one. They're doing a favor by giving a coupon good on the following week when there isn't a sale flyer at all.

anng97 07-31-2008 10:49 AM

If there is a coupon on their sale flyer for the next week, then there won't be a sales ad for that week. I've noticed ours started doing that too.

StampingShawn 07-31-2008 11:14 AM

I know the date is right on there, but for some of us with older eyes finding out the actual date is a little bit of work. Gotta find my glasses to see the date or find one of my children to read the coupon to me. Where I live, Michaels sends out a coupon in the Wednesday home mailers and the date may be the next Sunday or the Sunday after...for my old eyes...it's a hassle. If I'm planning on making a big purchase with the coupon then I will often just say, "Never mind."

MiamiKel4 07-31-2008 12:58 PM

Yup, I saw that too when I was standing in a LONG line, lol ~ so I put back the most expensive item I had and just used my 20% off coupon. Next week, I"ll be back to pick up the item I left and get it for 40% off. It's a hassle, but lately our Michaels hasn't even had a weekly ad in store (gone by the time I get there!) so it's nice to get them a week ahead.

staramaze 07-31-2008 01:08 PM

how bout this one... in the Aug/Sept papercrafts there is a 20% your entire purchase coupon that expires in July! WEIRD!