Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Michael's Heavy Weight Card stock (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/michaels-heavy-weight-card-stock-594096/)

lesliespringer 11-16-2014 10:58 AM

Michael's Heavy Weight Card stock

I have seen in other threads that people are describing Michael's Recollections Heavy weight card stock as equal to Papertreys cards stock.

I have found on Michael's card stock that ink colors are a touch off and coloring with copics is not the same either. This card stock does not seem as smooth as Ginak's card stock either. (I love GinaK's paper for coloring with copics, because it is so smooth).

I have just been using the Michael's paper for card bases and using GinaK's paper to use ink and color with copics.

Am I the only one who noticed this difference? Am I just too picky about the paper I use for inking and copics?

Has anyone else noticed the difference??

Cartermrc 11-16-2014 12:25 PM

It isn't as smooth as Gina's and not as heavy, but I like it for white bases.

arlenevita 11-16-2014 12:32 PM

You like what you like. It's not too picky to use what works for you. I haven't tried the M cardstock, yet.

mother's daughter 11-16-2014 07:03 PM

I have been using Michaels 110 lb c/s , mostly for card bases. For coloring with any type of ink, it's not very good, it is not moisture friendly, very absorbent, and pills easily if you color too much. Die cutting is okay.

RiverIsis 11-17-2014 07:26 AM

I wouldn't disagree. I think for straight stamping you probably can't beat it. Most of us are waiting and getting 100 sheets for 50% off at around $6 and considering what 100 sheet of Neenah etc costs. I am happy mix and match and use the best product for the technique.

lesliespringer 11-17-2014 07:48 AM

Thanks for all responses!

Krysiad 11-17-2014 01:28 PM

Nennah paper?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsis (Post 20812519)
I wouldn't disagree. I think for straight stamping you probably can't beat it. Most of us are waiting and getting 100 sheets for 50% off at around $6 and considering what 100 sheet of Neenah etc costs. I am happy mix and match and use the best product for the technique.

I have never used Neenah white paper but I live near a paper mill outlet that carries Neenah papers. Which Neenah paper would you recommend for copics, stamping etc. Also when you say you are waiting for 50% off, what paper are you waiting for?

lesliespringer 11-17-2014 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krysiad (Post 20813029)
I have never used Neenah white paper but I live near a paper mill outlet that carries Neenah papers. Which Neenah paper would you recommend for copics, stamping etc. Also when you say you are waiting for 50% off, what paper are you waiting for?

Michael's has a 50% off coupon every once in a while. Matter of fact there is one this week for 50% off! People wait for this coupon to buy the Michael's Recollection card stock. Think I will go out Wednesday and pick up the off white pack.

I think the Neenah 80 pound weight is what people use for copics.

RiverIsis 11-17-2014 02:58 PM

Yes, I bought 2 reams of Neenah Classic Crest Solar White 80lb for copics. I did manage to get it on offer at retail printer - can't think of the name ATM and don't know if they survived the recession.

Can you tell I have typed that out a few times on my blog? :lol:

shirlb19 11-17-2014 09:09 PM

I just tried the Michaels heavy cardstock with one of my Stampin Up embossing folders. It worked great. No creasing like what I was getting using the S.U. whisper white cardstock.

Shirl

Denverkat276 11-18-2014 09:40 PM

Lately, I use the bases from either Hobby Lobby or Michaels. When I stamp and color, I do one of two things. I either stamp and color on this cartooning paper or water color paper. The Cartooning paper is a bit thinner than the card stock, but it holds well. It is super when it comes to blending and working with color.

The base is the base to me, so it's not as important as the stuff I build on. If I colored or worked directly onto the base, I think I would care more about paper.

But I agree, you like what you like. I'm fussy about other things. We all have our likes and things that don't matter as much. It actually is more about what I'm working on, what it is for or who it is for.

If it's more of an art thing then a card thing, I'm going for the best.

RiverIsis 11-19-2014 03:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
FWIW I did this comparison a few months ago for my cardstock for Gamsol Magic technique -

I found that the Recollections layering weight 65lb seemed to have a better result for that technique. I wonder if it is because there is less "fibre" in the cardstock by definition.

Krikey Kreations: A cardstock Gamsol Magic Comparison

stamphappy1650 11-19-2014 03:48 AM

I use M's 110lb strictly for card bases. I have a variety of "whites" based on my preference and how I plan to use the paper. If I'm cutting die cuts I'm not going to use my Copic/expensive papers. That's why we all have so many different papers. : )

punch-crazy 11-19-2014 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringer (Post 20813041)
Michael's has a 50% off coupon every once in a while. Matter of fact there is one this week for 50% off! People wait for this coupon to buy the Michael's Recollection card stock. Think I will go out Wednesday and pick up the off white pack.

Thank you for that. I hadn't seen the coupon. I printed it yesterday afternoon and stopped in at Michael's on my way home from work to grab a pack of 110 lbs white cardstock :)

Scrapjanny 11-19-2014 03:33 PM

Where are you all finding the 110 lb. cardstock? I'm only seeing the 65 lb. Thanks.

cat_woman 11-19-2014 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapjanny (Post 20815516)
Where are you all finding the 110 lb. cardstock? I'm only seeing the 65 lb. Thanks.

It should be in where all their other Recollections card stock is. Check with someone if you can't find it. If they don't have it, perhaps speak to a manager to see if/when they'll be bringing it in. For the price, you can't beat it for a good heavy paper - with the 50% off coupon that it...

gothchic 11-19-2014 03:51 PM

Quote:

At the Michael's I go to all the 110lb. cardstock is on the very top rack. When I went first looking for it I actually couldn't find it. It was my husband who found it for me, but than he is 6' and I'm all of 5'2.

Barb

RiverIsis 11-19-2014 05:05 PM

Yeah, I actually had to get a Michael's employee climb their ladder once. It sometimes is like a needle in a haystack. Look for a ream size package.

lesliespringer 11-19-2014 05:27 PM

Today I found the 110 lb card stock on the top rack.

bdeyes9 11-20-2014 03:39 AM

I LOVE Recollections 110 cardstock for card bases you can't beat it.. I used to use SU or GP but this is so much heavier. I have it in white Black and Cream .

Scrapjanny 11-20-2014 09:03 AM

Thanks, ladies. I'm so short that I might be missing it. I'll have to look way up or get someone to help me. I appreciate the info. :)

RiverIsis 11-20-2014 12:58 PM

I have only seen it "low" at one store, once. Since then it has been at least at my eye height and I am about 5'8".

Clownmom 11-20-2014 03:48 PM

I like the Recollections 110 lb. for card bases too. I've been using Mark's Finest Papers Snow Storm Smooth for coloring with Copics with good results.

TeeGeeDee 11-20-2014 05:18 PM

Quote:

Jeanette, my store has the white and ivory mixed with the lower weight and multicolor packs. The black was in the same aisle but on the opposite side. It took awhile to find that!

Maybe you need to come visit again :D

Scrapjanny 11-21-2014 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDee (Post 20816831)
Jeanette, my store has the white and ivory mixed with the lower weight and multicolor packs. The black was in the same aisle but on the opposite side. It took awhile to find that!

Maybe you need to come visit again :D

Yep, it's time for another visit, Tina. Not just for the paper either, BFF. :D

JBgreendawn 11-22-2014 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krysiad (Post 20813029)

for Neenah for Copic's you want to make sure you pick up a "smooth" finish not the eggshell or any of the textured finishes ( they make some cool stuff ) but, I tend to reach for the lumpy textured things for bases and die cuts... to copic color I get the classic crest solar white in smooth. 100# "cover sheet" Smooth Paper | CLASSIC CREST� Papers | Neenah Paper

(if you give them your email for junk mail they usually do
a "sale" in November ish each year)

CamD 12-04-2014 06:00 AM

How does Michael's heavy cardstock perform with the Silhouette Cameo?

cbet 12-04-2014 07:34 AM

I cut a very detailed lattice pattern with the heavy black and it came out great. I don't remember the blade depth I used, but I am sure that I set the cutting speed pretty slow and also set it to double cut.

skkirts 12-04-2014 09:06 AM

Michaels heavy cardstock

I just bought the heavy cardstock this week and haven't tried it with my cameo. However, my Big Shot didn't like it much ... I almost always go back and forth on my dies, but still needed to shim spots where it didn't cut all the way through.

The Recollections 110 lb was $12.99 (minus my 50% coupon) for 100 sheets
The Georgia Pacific 110 lb cardstock at Walmart was $5.48 for 150 sheets.

The GP is plenty heavy for card bases. I think SU colors are only 80 lb and they work fine. Some of the JoAnns and Michaels 12 x 12 colored cardstock is only 65 lb I think. It's alright with an extra card front and MUCH better for punching out my detailed hand held dies without the stamping buddy helper which I've had for years.

IMHO= what paper I use is definitely project driven.

Cheers from Minnesota.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamD (Post 20829973)
How does Michael's heavy cardstock perform with the Silhouette Cameo?

Scrapjanny 12-04-2014 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapjanny (Post 20817185)
Yep, it's time for another visit, Tina. Not just for the paper either, BFF. :D

Found it! I bought some yesterday with a 50% off coupon, along with a pad of Christmas scrapbook paper at 60% off. I just couldn't resist. They made me an offer I couldn't refuse. :D