Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   may be an odd question --- but maybe someone can help (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/may-odd-question-but-maybe-someone-can-help-554841/)

blueyes 05-28-2012 06:23 PM

may be an odd question --- but maybe someone can help

i'm going to be hosting a weekend getaway in september - a fairly large gathering of stampers and crafters - possibly 2 weekends if enough are interested -- a 2 night weekend retreat sort of thing.

here's my question -- i want to do "goodie" bags to give out to those that attend -- is it inappropriate to ask stamp companies, or stores for items for them? as a "donation" or "sponsor" or something?

how would i go about doing that? are there any companies you would recommend?

thanks for any help! :)

BillieDee 05-28-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueyes (Post 19457447)
i'm going to be hosting a weekend getaway in september - a fairly large gathering of stampers and crafters - possibly 2 weekends if enough are interested -- a 2 night weekend retreat sort of thing.

here's my question -- i want to do "goodie" bags to give out to those that attend -- is it inappropriate to ask stamp companies, or stores for items for them? as a "donation" or "sponsor" or something?

how would i go about doing that? are there any companies you would recommend?

thanks for any help! :)

I would think that you'd use companies that you represent and/or do business with. This way they are, in a sense, co-hosting. Are you a demo? On a design team? Utilize an LSS?

blueyes 05-28-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillieDee (Post 19457475)
I would think that you'd use companies that you represent and/or do business with. This way they are, in a sense, co-hosting. Are you a demo? On a design team? Utilize an LSS?

hi billie --

no on all accounts ---not affiliated with any one company in particular.
i guess that's what makes it interesting -- lol.

BillieDee 05-28-2012 07:22 PM

In that case - make sure you have a great time! You might try to attract demos and/or local companies to help you out. Good luck!

dini 05-28-2012 07:24 PM

Are there companies or stores that you purchase from frequently? I'd agree with Billie that you'd want to contact companies with whom you've already built a relationship through your patronage.

blueyes 05-28-2012 07:30 PM

thanks billie --
LOL - makes it sound sort of hopeless, huh? LOL

decided not to invite demos or companies this time around -

thanks dina ---
i do most business online - we live in a small, rural area -- so it's just easier.

will have to put, my thinking cap on -- there has to be a way to do this ---

Novell 05-28-2012 09:58 PM

I helped host a successful shoebox swap several years ago. I just asked every company I could think of for donations. Of course, the economy wasn't then what it is now. I will give you this piece of advice... many companies are asked for and contribute donations and budget for this IN ADVANCE. So, don't ask at the last minute. Plan far in advance, I'm talking months and months in advance, and know what your numbers are projected to be. If you have any local stamp stores, perhaps they can't donate much but see if they can offer a coupon for say, 10% or 20% off a purchase with coupon or maybe 40% off one item.

blueyes 05-29-2012 03:47 AM

thanks novell!

the event is in september, so i guess i should get on it right away. any tips on "how" to ask to get the best results?

dini 05-29-2012 05:55 AM

What about companies that you've ordered from and blogged about before online? If there's a way that through their contribution you could encourage some business back to them, that might give them some incentive to participate... like using their stamps or products in your demos?

I have an idea - I'll PM you. :)

blueyes 05-29-2012 07:01 AM

dina - thanks so much. that's kinda what i've been thinking - - "we'll be using some of your products. . . "

i'd also like to highlight some small companies - little "mom and pop" sort of places. anyone have any that i might not have heard of that you think might be a good fit???? PLEASE let me know and i'll check them out.

i'm looking to fill about 50 bags.

xayide2 05-29-2012 08:57 AM

I wonder if you could post some you-tube videos of the crafters using specific products from your favorite craft stores and send your crafters and future customers to their websites. Of course craft tutorials and product highlights are the videos I watch the most.

blueyes 05-29-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xayide2 (Post 19458406)
I wonder if you could post some you-tube videos of the crafters using specific products from your favorite craft stores and send your crafters and future customers to their websites. Of course craft tutorials and product highlights are the videos I watch the most.

hmmmm - maybe.
might be tricky - i'm going to be the only instructor - so might be tricky to "do it all" - but maybe. something to think about.

Novell 05-29-2012 07:46 PM

I would just make sure you state who you are, when you are holding your event, what your event will encompass, what your expected headcount is, then ask if they would consider a donation. You don't need to send a long-winded letter. They don't have time for it, really. Short, sweet, and to the point.

stampindoe 05-29-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Novell (Post 19459535)
I would just make sure you state who you are, when you are holding your event, what your event will encompass, what your expected headcount is, then ask if they would consider a donation. You don't need to send a long-winded letter. They don't have time for it, really. Short, sweet, and to the point.

In addition to this advice, I would suggest your send a handwritten thank you note to each person/business who makes a donation. Also keep a list of the donation and the person/business who donated something. This way next year you can say again thank you for last year's donation of "X" and would you be willing to donate a similar item this year. Have a fun event.

stamphappy1650 06-03-2012 03:18 PM

If you get donations, make a flyer for the attendees listing the companies and their website. You might ask the companies if they want to give a discount coupon as an incentive for the attendees to visit the site.