Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Masking Fluid (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/masking-fluid-561042/)

sillyfilly 09-14-2012 07:33 PM

Masking Fluid

Anyone know where I can buy Masking Fluid? I am having trouble finding it. Also do you know a good brand?

Thanks,
Sylvia

lylacfey 09-15-2012 01:47 AM

Masking Fluid is sold in the art departments at your craft store. Usually you can find it in the paint aisle with all the other mediums. You can find it in the watercolor mediums. You can also buy a bottle of masking fluid at WalMart in their fine art painting section. I am using WalMart fine art painting section loosely here, lol. All their art supplies are student grade but you can find some gems of supplies like their masking fluid and OMS.

Good brands are Sennelier, Winsor & Newton, Schmincke, Daler-Rowney. I am using Daler-Rowney right now. This is the one from WalMart. I am very happy with it. I paid under $8 for a good size bottle that will last me forever.

RJP111 09-15-2012 02:37 AM

I never thought of looking for masking fluid at WalMart! I've found it at M's, Hobby Lobby, and AC Moore, but they all wanted $12 to $14 for it.

RJP111 09-15-2012 05:07 AM

Question - can you use masking fluid with stamps?

I've only seen on the internet where people have brushed it onto cardstock. I guess I could use a stencil.

CAKath 09-15-2012 07:41 AM

Thanks for the details, ladies. I've been wanting to use this masking fluid on some designs. I guess I'll venture to the local Walmart.

Nanettesplace 09-15-2012 08:08 AM

Is it a kind of resist? What about goosebumps, it comes in a spray bottle, but you can take the cap off.

Makalah 09-15-2012 01:48 PM

Perfect timing. I just saw Susy Cote (aka Tootsy)'s card here:

SUO Frosty Friends by Tootsy - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

using masking fluid resist and LOOOOOVE it. I don't think my first attempts using the technique (once I buy the fluid) will be as good, but I'm pretty determined to try!

sillyfilly 09-15-2012 06:11 PM

Thanks ladies. I will go check out Wal-Mart after church tomorrow.

Phantom 09-15-2012 06:23 PM

It was such a coincidence to see this post ~ I just came across a card I made with masking fluid a couple of years ago and had myself wondering why I haven't used it more often!

Blustery Day_nlb by Phantom - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

I did a search in the gallery for "masking fluid" and it is so inspiring ~ thanks for bringing up this subject:

masking fluid - Homemade Cards, Rubber Stamp Art, & Paper Crafts - Splitcoaststampers.com

I'm going to set a bottle of it on my table and get ready to experiment :)

boobookittysgranny 09-15-2012 07:40 PM

What is Masking Fluid???

lylacfey 09-16-2012 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJP111 (Post 19687891)
Question - can you use masking fluid with stamps?

I've only seen on the internet where people have brushed it onto cardstock. I guess I could use a stencil.

Here's a good starter article on masking fluid and rubber stamping- How to Use Masking Fluid in Rubber Stamping Projects - Use Masking Fluid

RJP111 09-16-2012 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfey (Post 19689920)
Here's a good starter article on masking fluid and rubber stamping- How to Use Masking Fluid in Rubber Stamping Projects - Use Masking Fluid

Thank you for the link. Lots of good information there!

Buncobuddy 09-29-2012 08:35 PM

I did see Masking Fluid today at Walmart for $7.88.

nancy littrell 09-29-2012 08:57 PM

I use Winsor Newton Masking Fluid from Michael's. It is in their paint section. $14.95 and I got it with a 50% off coupon. You use an old toothbrush to flick onto your CS.
It is a messy technique, so I line my work area with paper towels.

Be sure and check out Heather T's Masking Fluid Resist Tutorial.