Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-23-2006, 11:44 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile Making a color swatch

I tried a search and didn't find an answer so I hope it hasn't already been discussed,

Years ago my demo (who has since moved) made a little rectangular color swatch. She listed all the catalog order #s for all the products available for that color. I don't need the #s or even what you can order on each color.

I want to be able to very easily identify the colors. I have the old one but some of the shading has changed over the past years (I'm gonna guess its 5+ yrs old??) and doesn't have the new colors.

I have a box of scraps and lots of c/s and I want to pull the swatch over and easily pick out the color (I want to write the name on the swatch) and then use the color coach to pick matches or easily find the coordinating ink etc.

Anyone have a template or ideas on this? If not I'm gonna use my newly ordered mulit packs of c/s and just cut a rectangle of each, attach with a jump ring and write on the names..assuming I'll be able to figure out from the old catty (I'm still waiting for my demo to get back from her 8 week vaca and get my new one LOL but thats another story and I love her so I don't much LOL)

TIA Andrea
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-24-2006, 06:53 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I made color swatches by punching out a "tag", using the tag punch, out of each color...including vellums, metallics, etc. I have one set on a ring with color names, ordering numbers, etc.

After attending regionals and seeing what Jaron did with his color circles in his idea book, I decided to do the same with tags. So I have several of each color that are tossed in a little box that I play around with every once in a while to see what color combos I like.

HTH
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:57 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

It may be more worth it if you don't want to spend the time to go to www.southerngoose.com and just buy one. Otherwise, you can use 1/4 cardfront for it and use white labels. Print the name of the color and any other info you want on it, and use a small stamp to also stamp the matching ink color on it. I would stamp on both the white label and the cardstock so you get a true color and tone on tone image as well.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:02 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I bought mine from [email protected]

She makes and sells them. They are VERY well done and 2 3/4" x 4 1/4" on a metal notebook ring. Each color has a printed label on with all the info!

Love it!

Was about $11.50?

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Old 07-24-2006, 07:09 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

I made one myself from the very first set of paper assortments I bought. I just cut out rectangles 2" x 3" from each color. I bought a set of clear address labels and printed out the colors and the order #s and such and stuck them onto the rectangles. Then I punched a hole in the top corner and used a metal ring to string them all together Super easy!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2006, 07:30 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I checked out Southern Goose...They have some cool stuff...I am not a demo so some things I probably wouldn't use...but you have to see the little tins with the sliding tops, and the plastic eyelet holders...especially the ones that look like tic-tac containers, and are 36 for 6.50!!! Then the cardstock samples, and ribbon samples, and button samples, and pearl-ex samples, and font charts................
all I am is Yours.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:33 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I forgot to say that the cardstock samplers at Southern Goose are $4 and $5 depending on size of sample, and include the In Color samples!
all I am is Yours.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:32 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

I did my own. Bought the little rings at Staples, cut a sheet of cardstock
2 X 2 (that gave me 12 out of each sheet of cardstock), but clear labels on the front with the color name and white labels on the back with a small inventory (c/s, marker, reinker, stamp pad (classic and craft), cartridge, etc. My hostesses from last year got them as gifts at my Hostess Appreciation party and loved them! HTH
Old 07-24-2006, 01:31 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

As usual you guys have super ideas! I love the tag idea to make my own. I'm off to check southerngoose. As I'm not a demo, I don't need to make multiples so I may purchase one...but I like the idea of having a bunch of the tags in a box to check out color combos - that is not my strong suit.so I may make mine or just make a box of tags too..thanks for the ideas
Andrea
Old 07-24-2006, 03:38 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I just bought one off ebay for $7.50 plus shipping. Cant wait until it arrives!
Old 08-09-2006, 06:24 AM   #11  
Embossing Fanatic

I'd love to hear more about what Jaron did with his color circles in his idea book. Can someone add more info to this or post a photo please! Thanks,
Old 08-09-2006, 07:27 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

I saw Jaron share this at Regionals in Portland. He is "the" most entertaining speaker SU has on board! Cute, funny and CLEVER! What he did was take an ordinary book and turn it into a journal. He then just pulls pages that inspire him from magazines - sometimes it's a logo, sometimes an ad - whatever strikes his fancy. He then takes his little box if circles (which he has prepunched from extra leftoever cardstock) and put 3-4 of the circle colors that coordinate in his journal. Sometimes he would add notes, but others it was just the pic and the circles. I hope this helps. I'll go and search through my old photos and see if I happened to take one.

Another wonderful way of having all of your cardstock colors is to make a little ring. If you go to my blog to the tools section you can see one I made using the Crop-a-dile and photo anchors. It works GREAT!!! It's small enough to carry in my purse and large enough to really see the colors I'm working with. Here's the link.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:47 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just made my own sampler ring with the Marvy Square Giga punch. It punches a 2 1/8 inch square which is a great size. Then I used Avery 8167 labels to print out the color names (I didn't need the numbers), punched a hole in the corner and put it on a metal ring. My SIL and each wanted one so I did 2 color families and she did the other 2 and we shared.

-Joyce
Old 08-09-2006, 07:48 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Here goes - I did it yesterday, but it took me a long time. Hopefully these files are closer to the requirements for attachments. If this doesn't work I'll post to my blog because I finally have that one figured out - LOL!

Here are the pics I took of Jaron's inspirational journal and some of the items he created using that journal. Unfortunately I did not take a picture of the inside - there was a line behind me and I didn't want to hold everyone up. Hopefully you will be able to read the little tabs on the side and kind of figure out what he did. Perhaps someone has some pics of the inside. It really was charming!

Well shoot - once again it says it exceeds the file size. I'll take these and post them to my blog for anyone interested. Give me a couple of minutes and they'll be up.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:36 AM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

Hi Ellen

I couldn't find the Jaron Journal photos on your blog. Can you tell me where it is. BTW, I love the pictures of your craft room!
Old 08-20-2006, 09:12 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

With all the lengthy posting I do - it has already gotten buried in the archives - LOL. Here are the pictures I was able to find that I had taken of Jaron's Journal. I hope they inspire you to create one of your own
Old 08-20-2006, 09:58 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

I made one for me and I also made one for a friend. I cut rectangles that are 2"X3" and on each color I cut little 1/2" squares of colors that go with it, and just glued them on there. It works great. I just punched two holes at the top and tied it together with ribbon. That way, when I want to add a new color all I have to do is untie the ribbon.