Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   making card sets as gifts (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/making-card-sets-gifts-539492/)

mommyto3 10-06-2011 09:25 AM

making card sets as gifts

I'm wanting to make sets of cards to give as gifts for Christmas this year. What would you or what have you included in such a gift? Should I make a variety of different cards or several generic that are alike?? I just can't seem to decide what to do...ideas needed and welcomed!!

Thanks for your help!!

liptontee 10-06-2011 09:30 AM

I think you should make different ones. Like make 8 and let half of them be one design and the other half another. Include envelopes for the cards to fit in.

LadyJDesignStore 10-06-2011 09:39 AM

Let's say you stick with motifs such as Various Christmas ornament shape, and color palette that you'll have to use.
Usually we use for Christmas red and white as the accent you can add green.
So each card can have a different ornament shape and one that assembles all with good typography.
Hope I help a little:)

sdscrapper 10-06-2011 10:06 AM

I would use a set of coordinating papers, but make a variety of themes (i.e. birthday, anniversary, thanks, sympathy, etc. 6-8 cards in a pack with envelopes. Then there are cute instructions on how you can make a coordinating box to put them in and decorate the box. Then the cards will match the box. I'm one that thinks presentation is a big deal.

Cook22 10-06-2011 10:13 AM

I'd agree that a variety of themes is good. I usually include at least a couple of birthday cards, a get well, a sympathy, a thanks and a couple of blank/ generic thinking of you type cards.

arlenevita 10-06-2011 10:17 AM

I make sets with cards for all occasions depending on the person I'm giving them to...mother with younger children needs more boy and girl birthday cards along with wedding, anniversary, thank you, etc. while an older person needs more mature/adult humor birthday cards and (sadly) sympathy cards. I go through the cards I've made at shoebox gatherings and extras I've made for swaps and pick out the ones that fit the person that will be receiving the gift.

I do love the coordinating sets though where a simple card has been made with one color paper and ink on white and there iare some blue cards, some pink, some green, etc.

mommyto3 10-06-2011 11:16 AM

Excellent ideas! Thanks for your input :)

buggainok 10-06-2011 11:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The sets I have made that friends and family like the most are just what I would call "note cards". Pretty on the front, plain white inside so they can use them however they want to.

I sometimes stamp "Just a Note" or "Hello" on the front, and sometimes just leave them plain. I make coordinating lined envelopes using white envelopes with a matching liner.

I usually make a white card box using this tutorial:

Splitcoaststampers - A2 Card Project Tutorial by Beate Johns

Then I make a matching "belly band" for the box with the image from the notes. People have loved to receive these sets. I usually make 8 notes and envies.

Here is a set I just made for Christmas for some of the dog lovers in my family:

mommyto3 10-06-2011 03:22 PM

Thanks for the sample and the tutorial! I really like that box and will give it a try! I'll make it first thing with my Simply Scored which will be delivered Monday!! :D

dianneo 10-06-2011 04:51 PM

My daughter has asked me to make card sets as a gift a few times. I've used a few coordinated papers and then added geometrical shapes and initials/monograms. You can make a bunch of cards with just a few patterned papers. She picked out the papers she thought the recipient would like and I did the design and added the monograms.

KristaTracy 10-06-2011 05:11 PM

I like to give a coordinated set. I usually give a set of 6-8 cards of similar design with different sentiments. Sometimes I vary the color scheme too.

fairsinger 10-06-2011 07:25 PM

I prefer a variety, with a couple of birthday, sympathy, get well, and thank you cards each. I am always in need of cards like those and love to be able to grab one from my stash to send out quickly (especially get well and sympathy cards, which you often need quickly with very little warning), so I think those are very helpful to have on hand. I think a pack of cards of any kind is a wonderful gift and whatever you choose will be lovely!

KristiK 10-06-2011 09:34 PM

I rec'd as a gift an "emergency card set" It was pkg'd in a cello bag with a header that read something like: we all need alittle help from our friends. It included several cards, all similar with different occasions stamped on them, coordinating STAMPED envelopes esp loved the sympathy and thinking of you ones....I thought this was a very thoughtful gift.

mommyto3 10-07-2011 02:16 AM

My demonstrator told me to never send a naked envelope! lol So I always stamp the envelope when I send...unless I'm in a big hurry ;)

winnieu 10-07-2011 04:13 AM

I make sets of cards for people as well. I give groups of 6-12 depending on the person. I have been asked to make them and some people ask me for sets that include b-day, get well, thank you,sympathy,wedding, baby.
They tell me it makes their life easy to have them on demand. I also do make blank sets for people I know who prefer them or are letter writers. I think either as a gift will be happily receieved.

pjw2855 10-07-2011 04:58 AM

If giving a gift pack of hand made cards, I would stamp either Thinking of You, You're in My Thoughts or Just For You. These are all generic terms and the cards can be used for just any occasion you would want.

Patti

LaLatty 10-07-2011 06:20 AM

When I make cards for gifts I usually make one sheet wonder cards. This can be done by using dsp or stamping your own designer paper.

Here are a few from examples my gallery:

Snowflake Tote Gift Set by LaLatty - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Fall Tote Card Set by LaLatty - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

OSW Roses in Winter by LaLatty - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

CAS75 Dry Embossed Petals A Plenty Note Cards by LaLatty - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Snowflakes Greetings by LaLatty - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

SarahY 10-07-2011 06:27 AM

These are great sets - tfs

PedalPower 10-07-2011 07:33 AM

I think you should just go with what makes you happy!! I have given a variety, a similar color scheme, matching, and leftovers from other projects and the recipients have always just been overjoyed regardless of what I gave them. It's a wonderful gift and I think your recipient will be pleased with your thoughtfulness!!

LaLatty 10-07-2011 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahY (Post 18801729)
These are great sets - tfs

Thanks! I wasn't sure if I should post them, but I figured it might help someone or at least give the op some ideas to get started with.

buggainok 10-07-2011 07:52 AM

Patty, I looked at all your sets - just great work. They are all lovely. I'll bet the recipients were so happy to get them.

mommyto3 10-07-2011 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLatty (Post 18802026)
Thanks! I wasn't sure if I should post them, but I figured it might help someone or at least give the op some ideas to get started with.

I'm soooo glad you did!! You given me some great ideas! I can make anything, but I'm not very creative (if that makes sense!). This has given me a great place to start! I love them all!