Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Magic Mat (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/magic-mat-640641/)

sc magnolia 01-28-2022 12:53 PM

Magic Mat

Has anyone used a Magic Mat? I wonder if it really would improve cutting ability on a couple of older machines I keep at church for Card Ministry? Spellbinders and Big Shot.

I'm spoiled, because at home I have a wonderful machine that always cuts well with no shims ever needed. If these Magic Mats work, that would be great!

lovinpaper 01-28-2022 01:13 PM

Here is the discussion of this mat: https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...ic-mat-639859/

I own one for my Big Shot Plus. It helps, but I wanted to use my magnetic plate so I put it away.

lutheran 01-29-2022 01:53 AM

I use mine in my Big Shot. It needed a shim for basic framelit cutting and I use one sheet of thick cs. It allows dies to be cleanly cut in one pass and the paper/cs pops right out of the die. I use a clear mat for the top layer and I don't use it for embossing folders. For detailed dies I use a precision cutting plate, the Sizzix Chrome. I don't know if the magic mats will save money over time but, so far, I'm glad I bought them.
Mary Beth

sc magnolia 01-29-2022 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutheran (Post 22147171)
I use mine in my Big Shot. It needed a shim for basic framelit cutting and I use one sheet of thick cs. It allows dies to be cleanly cut in one pass and the paper/cs pops right out of the die. I use a clear mat for the top layer and I don't use it for embossing folders. For detailed dies I use a precision cutting plate, the Sizzix Chrome. I don't know if the magic mats will save money over time but, so far, I'm glad I bought them.
Mary Beth

Thanks Mary Beth!

Scrapjanny 01-29-2022 06:54 AM

I bought one, and I wasn't very impressed. I needed a shim, the mat warped, and the cut marks don't "heal." I've tried the straightening technique that SB.com recommended, but it is very temporary. The next time I used it, it was warped again.

I guess it's a good alternative if you can't find replacement plates, or to have on hand in case one of your plates breaks or warps badly.

dcmauch 01-29-2022 09:27 AM

I love them. I was skeptical at first. My BS gets heavy use from card-making classes I hold. My customers/attendees are a variety of age and skill sets, and of course after several class sessions, these mats can warp. So about once a month, or as needed, I follow the instructions to resolve, and it works like a charm. The instructions don't mention cleaning, but before I start I clean the mats with a silicone scrubbie, warm water and mild dish soap to get out the little bits of paper that cling in the cut marks. I don't soak them, just use running water for as short a time as I can to get out the bits. They say they are self-healing, but what I see is that the cuts mostly close up where I can feel with my fingernail and see the little marks, but they don't get in the way or cause another die to catch in it. Keeping the mats clean and cutting all over the surface really helps. I clean them regularly even when they are not warping. Then I dry off the mats and set aside while I get my heat gun, and oh yes, a hair dryer will work too use up to a medium heat. It took about 10-15 minutes with me moving my heat gun (on high) over the surface, pressing down the mat with my hand to flatten, flipping over and repeating the process on the other side. I did this a few times, back and forth between the two sides, and before long, it was flat. I think you really have to get it heated to the core for it to work best. I put the now flat mat my counter and set something heavy on it, like the BS or a heavy binder, then leave it to cool completely. I pick it up later and it's good to go!

I use a mat on top of the thick Sizzix magnetic base with a clear plate on top. I've had the mats for about 6 months now and am very happy with them. Yes, I have lots of fine marks but they are spread over the full surface of the mats, not just in the middle. I think part of the secret to any of the mats and plates is to cut ALL OVER the surface area, not just in the middle. Repeatedly cutting in the middle seems to warp them quicker. Once your bottom mat or clear plate starts to warp, it can cause the top clear plate to warp too. Rotating/flipping the mat and clear plates regularly, and having the stack of clear plate, mat and base lined up properly (side to side, end to end with nothing hanging out) also helps minimize warping.

You're cutting into them.....they WILL warp. I do what I can to slow that process.

Scrapjanny 01-29-2022 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcmauch (Post 22147288)
I love them. I was skeptical at first. My BS gets heavy use from card-making classes I hold. My customers/attendees are a variety of age and skill sets, and of course after several class sessions, these mats can warp. So about once a month, or as needed, I follow the instructions to resolve, and it works like a charm. The instructions don't mention cleaning, but before I start I clean the mats with a silicone scrubbie, warm water and mild dish soap to get out the little bits of paper that cling in the cut marks. I don't soak them, just use running water for as short a time as I can to get out the bits. They say they are self-healing, but what I see is that the cuts mostly close up where I can feel with my fingernail and see the little marks, but they don't get in the way or cause another die to catch in it. Keeping the mats clean and cutting all over the surface really helps. I clean them regularly even when they are not warping. Then I dry off the mats and set aside while I get my heat gun, and oh yes, a hair dryer will work too use up to a medium heat. It took about 10-15 minutes with me moving my heat gun (on high) over the surface, pressing down the mat with my hand to flatten, flipping over and repeating the process on the other side. I did this a few times, back and forth between the two sides, and before long, it was flat. I think you really have to get it heated to the core for it to work best. I put the now flat mat my counter and set something heavy on it, like the BS or a heavy binder, then leave it to cool completely. I pick it up later and it's good to go!

I use a mat on top of the thick Sizzix magnetic base with a clear plate on top. I've had the mats for about 6 months now and am very happy with them. Yes, I have lots of fine marks but they are spread over the full surface of the mats, not just in the middle. I think part of the secret to any of the mats and plates is to cut ALL OVER the surface area, not just in the middle. Repeatedly cutting in the middle seems to warp them quicker. Once your bottom mat or clear plate starts to warp, it can cause the top clear plate to warp too. Rotating/flipping the mat and clear plates regularly, and having the stack of clear plate, mat and base lined up properly (side to side, end to end with nothing hanging out) also helps minimize warping.

You're cutting into them.....they WILL warp. I do what I can to slow that process.

That sounds like way too much work for me. :D Not being judgmental. I'm glad you've found a process that works for you, and that you're happy with the mats.

dcmauch 01-29-2022 11:05 AM

No worries. It doesn't seem like anything more than usual tool-related maintenance to me, and I just remind myself of the money I'm saving on clear plates! haha

hoptownracer1 01-29-2022 08:12 PM

I bought them, and didn't care all that much for them. They do warp. Now if I didn't have any plates, that might be a different story. But I am not planning on buying them again.

lutheran 01-30-2022 02:18 AM

Hmmm. Mine has not warped at all. Maybe rotate it more? The cut marks don't bother me, they do not feel as rough as the cut marks on the clear plastic plates.
Mary Beth

kazeka 02-01-2022 12:27 PM

Interesting reading about these mats, as I've wondered about them. My BS cutting mats warp and have cut marks all over them, because I use them A LOT. However, I just keep flipping them, and trying to cut all over the surface in order to spread the pressure. I get a lot of use out of my regular cutting plates before I end up replacing them, and always have one or two sets stored away. I don't replace both plates at once, but just the one with all the warping and cut marks. From the sound of these reviews, I don't think I'll spring for a Magic Mat yet.
Karen