Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-15-2006, 03:34 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Default lunch tins at a craft fair

has anyone tried selling decorated lunch tins at a craft fair, yet??
Or does anyone have any thoughts about doing so???

With the craft fair season upon us, I have been wondering trying to sell some of these.

A few questions going thru my head are.....

*Price?
*What about having them available for order at the craft fair??
I am not sure about buying tons of them, making them up and then hoping that they all sell.
* Themes for tins----- card keeper, recipe box, Christmas recipe box, baby's first box,...any others?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-15-2006, 03:46 PM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I'm planning to make some of these (about 10) for my craft fair in Nov. I'm going to do recipe boxes and card keepers. I'm not sure on price yet because I'd need to calculate supplies and how much time it takes me to make one. I also thought of doing something like "fill a tin with 10 cards for $xx" type of thing. KWIM?
Old 08-15-2006, 04:04 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I like the idea for filling a tin with 10 cards for a certain amount of money.
I haven't done any figuring on price yet either, I will have to get on that one.

I just thought that there are so many cute ideas for tins on the site, that I would think that they would be a great seller. I guess one doesn't know until they try.

Laurie
Old 08-15-2006, 04:44 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

For my time and materials, I don't think I could go below $25, and that might be a bit steep for a lot of craft fairs. At least judging on the last few I've done, where the $1-$2 stuff far and away outsells anything else
Old 08-15-2006, 05:03 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I know that it just it. One of my biggest sellers last year, were 2 marble magnets in a bag with a topper for $.50 and Snowman soup for $2.00 ! I couldn't keep the magnets around, people came back looking for them all day.
Allot of people tend shy away from the bigger tagged items, but then when I look across the room at the lady who sells the wooden bench type things for $40.00 - $75.00 each...she still sells allot of stuff and her stuff walks out of the room all day.

Go figure!!

Laurie
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2006, 05:45 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

I find it depends on the craft sale you are in with what sells. I sell the tins with a covered notebook, RVSP pen, and 2 matching cards for $15. That was when I was getting the tins for $3 though. I sell baby's first year tins for $30. I have sold over 20 to people my husband works with but not at a craft sale. Good luck. I hope they sell for you!
Old 08-15-2006, 05:47 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I make Baby, Recipe, and Organizer tins and sell them for 30$ each and have always sold out early...

So I started making magnets and tiles just to have 'something' left on the table at the end of the day.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:21 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

May I ask what you ladies have put/include in your baby tins?
Old 08-16-2006, 07:06 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

I would like to know what is in the baby tins too.
Thanks for the other ideas and tips too!
Old 08-16-2006, 06:38 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

I put a scrapbook card for each month of the first year. I then include a first Christmas, first birthday, a before you arrived section, a you are here section. I put tabs on the cards for each month and put appropriate scrapbook paper on the card for the month (pumpkins and ghosts for October etc.) I also put an extra card in with each month too. All the cards are embellished with ribbons, stickers, tags, etc. I then also include a roll of double sided tape, so hte mother only has to cut the pictures ans tape them on the cards. They take forever to make, but Moms seem to love them. I should post one sometime.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:04 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

TWANT

please feel free to post one. I would love to see how they turn out. My friend just had a baby yesterday and I was thinking about what I could make her and this sounds great! TFS
Old 08-17-2006, 06:28 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

please, please post a photo!! I would love to see how this turned out too. It sounds really cute!
Old 08-18-2006, 03:31 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

I've seen tins sell on ebay for $45.00 plus postage. They are "elaborate" like what SewEclectic and Twyant are talking about. If they can sell for that price on ebay I don't see why yours can't sell for that price at a craft sale.

Old 08-18-2006, 01:53 PM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

As soon as my DH gets home from golf, I will take some pictures and post them. I have to wait for him because I don't don't how to get the pictures from my camera to the computer. Yes, I am technologically disabled!
Old 08-18-2006, 01:56 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

TWYANT:

I'm so excited I can't wait to see them! Maybe I'll go pop some popcorn, grab a drink and wait for the show to begin =)
Old 08-18-2006, 02:04 PM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

danamy:
You are too funny! I hope I don't disappoint you.
Tracy
Old 08-18-2006, 03:02 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well is he home yet????? I am trying to wait patiently with very little luck!
Barbara
Old 08-18-2006, 04:29 PM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Ok, DH is home. It took awhile though because it was a bachelor party/golf outing. I hope they meet your expectations. I took one of a few of the cards, but if you want to see more of them, I can send them to you. Let me know what you think because I am starting to think after reading some of these comments and other threads that I could sell them for more.
Tracy
Old 08-18-2006, 04:38 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

I just went and checked them out in your gallery..they are great! I like the idea of the "cards" that a new mom could just drop a photo onto and scrapbook with or frame. Really neat. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:38 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

twyant:
all I can say is holly moly I almost choked on my popcorn!!! these are gorgeous! I love each and everyone of them. You are so talented. I would definitely say that you could get more money for them. I know it''s nice to know that all your stuff has sold and if you did increase your price and you found that they didn't sell at the higher price, then you could always lower it back to the $15 because at least you know you can get rid of them at that price. They really are beautiful. Great job and definitely not disappointed. I'm gonna give it a try for a friend of mine, she just had a baby a few days ago, I will let you know how it turns out! Thanks for sharing your tins!!!
Old 08-18-2006, 08:24 PM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

Lalalaur,
I didn't mean to hijack your thread. Sorry about that. What I have learned is maybe you should charge more than $15 at a craft sale for tins. I am going to try $20 and see how it goes. These tins are so much fun to do. Good luck to everyone selling them!! I would love to hear what other people fill the tins with.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:51 AM   #22  
Glitter Queen

I sell lunch tins at a little seasonal craft shop in my town. They are the dollar ones from Target. I include a matching mini comp book (6 for $1.00 at Walgreens a few weeks ago...I stocked up) and pen (similar to RSVP but much cheaper from Target.) I sell them for $8.00. I haven't been able to keep up. They go as soon as they get put out. I do most of them in very girly designs, colors, embellishments. For me it is worth it because I'm making them so cheap and they are so fun to make and they are actually selling!
Old 08-19-2006, 09:52 AM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

do you put anything in your lunch tins? when selling them how do tou package them together? do you just set the note pad and pen to the side or do you put them in the tin and leave it open, just wondering how you display this. What a GREAT profit your making. I hope you continue to have great success. Do you have any to show us? thanks for sharing your ideas!!
Old 08-19-2006, 10:03 AM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

What kind of pens do they have at Target that are like RSVP? Where can I find them? It's so hard to find pens like that. My other question is do you cover the entire tin or do you leave the colored border? I would love it if you posted some. I have a few but haven't done anythign with them yet. Thanks!!
Old 08-19-2006, 10:38 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

this may sound like a silly question, but how do you ladies find out when and where the *big* craft shows are especially if you have never done one beofre? A craft show that you know your stuff will sell at. Do church fairs have a great turnover, school fairs, city fairs, etc. ????? how do you know where to go. Until I discovered this website, I wasn't much for craft fair shopping, only because I didn't have the time to go from high school to high school but now I can't wait to be a part of it.. just stumped as to where to start! I would appreciate any and all suggestions!!! Thank you in advance!!!
Old 08-19-2006, 02:12 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by danamy
this may sound like a silly question, but how do you ladies find out when and where the *big* craft shows are especially if you have never done one beofre? A craft show that you know your stuff will sell at. Do church fairs have a great turnover, school fairs, city fairs, etc. ????? how do you know where to go. Until I discovered this website, I wasn't much for craft fair shopping, only because I didn't have the time to go from high school to high school but now I can't wait to be a part of it.. just stumped as to where to start! I would appreciate any and all suggestions!!! Thank you in advance!!!
My local paper back home publishes a list every September. Another great source of info is your local Chamber of Commerce.

Keep in mind that some fairs restrict who can participate, or the fees are higher. I quit inquiring about the church bazaars because they were only allowing church members to have booths. Fairs run by a city will either demand that you are a resident of that city, or they charge you more to have a table there.

There have been LOTS of past discussions about doing craft shows -- a search of the forum should bring up a bunch of threads with info to help you get started! The only thing to watch out for is that pricing and what items are popular tends to vary widely depending on location.

Good luck in your venture!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 08-19-2006, 03:50 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

I started a thread about craft shows but no one answered, I guess because you all are here lol. This is what I put on my other thread:

I'm getting ready for a craft show in Nov. I am planning on having Christmas cards of course, but I was going to have regular cards too. Birthday, Thank You, Just a Note, Friend, Get Well etc.

My question is, how many of each type of card should I have and which types sell the best?

Any and all help is appreciated!!

PS - I'm also making coasters, album in a box, paintcans, ornaments, candles, teabag holders, snowman soup mugs. Yes, I only have 11 weeks to do this!! Am I crazy?? HELP!!
Old 08-19-2006, 03:50 PM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Another question, which is easier/less expensive paintcans or lunch tins? Everyone is talking lunch tins. Just wondering
Old 08-19-2006, 04:45 PM   #29  
Glitter Queen

I think it depends on how much you can get them (lunch tins vs. paint cans)for. Personally I have only altered the mini lunch tins from target and I think they are a lot easier and quicker than paint cans, but I charge more for the paint cans. One thing that I've done with paint cans (which I know isn't an original idea) is that when Target clearances their one spot items every few months down to 4/$1.00 I stock up and put together little sets of 4 or 5 things that will go together. This costs me a dollar or so but I can sell the cans for 5 to 10 dollars more like that. I"ve done "think pink" paint cans like this, also "girl stuff "and "boy stuff" and "kitchen stuff". Right now I'm doing a Napoleon Dynamite one. It also helps me get rid of stuff that I compulsively buy when it gets that cheap!! Last year I did "Christmas in a Can" paint cans. They had popcorn, hot chocolate, marshmallows, gingerbread cookie mix, cookie cutter, ornament, wassail mix, a story about Christmas, and I don't remember what else that may be it. ..they were pretty time-consuming.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:25 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi again
I know many of you are making lunch tins to sell at craft fairs, how many are you making.
I have viewed some of your tins and you ladies are very talented. That being said, I know you should not have a problem selling them ALL!!! but just wondering how many you are going to make? what is too many/not enough?
Old 08-20-2006, 12:03 PM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

Man, I haven't checked in a day and look at all of the talk that I miss out on!
You ladies are going to town on this one! Yay!!! I love all of the help, info, tips and photos!!

twyant,

thanks for posting your photos of your tins!! They are great, what a neat idea. I agree that you might be able to get more out of them. I was thinking like $20.00 or so. I don't know...pricing is always a hard one for me. This will be my 2nd season of craft fairs, and I really had to think and think last year with what to price things.
you want to make money on your stuff, but then you don't want it too high, so that you go home with it all either. Another thing that is the big factor is pricing is your area. I am in a very rural area and I don't think people are willing to spend as much here as they would in big cities.

And oh, I didn't think that you had hijacked the thread, I love reading all of the comments and what everyone else is doing! Don't worry about it!

morgysmom,

I would love to see a photo of your tins that you have made. The nearest Target to me is over an hour away, so I don't have any clue as to what the tins you are talking about look like. I wish with all of the talk about things on their dollar spot area that we had a store closer to us!

Great ideas ladies!!

Thanks Laurie
Old 08-20-2006, 12:16 PM   #32  
Kookie Creator

I agree...Morgy'sMom...get going on posting and setting up your gallery. I would love to see them! Janet
Old 08-20-2006, 12:58 PM   #33  
Gallery Gazer

Morgy's Mom,
Please post your tins for us to see!!!!
Old 08-20-2006, 01:03 PM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

yes, please post photos and if you mind, let us know how many you make that sell out so quickly. I have 10 of these little ones that are desperately looking for new homes! =)
I can't wait to get started on them but like I mentioned I hate to get stuck with them if they don't sell.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:06 PM   #35  
Gabfest Goddess

When you say altered paint can- do you mean an actual paint can? Like I just finished painting all the rooms in my house and I now have at least 10 paint cans sitting on my deck? I can use those for altering?

Or does Basic Gray sell some really expensive paint can, and that's what you are talking about.

(I'd love to do altered lunch boxes, but I just can't afford them...)
Old 08-20-2006, 01:13 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skittl1321
When you say altered paint can- do you mean an actual paint can? Like I just finished painting all the rooms in my house and I now have at least 10 paint cans sitting on my deck? I can use those for altering?

Or does Basic Gray sell some really expensive paint can, and that's what you are talking about.

(I'd love to do altered lunch boxes, but I just can't afford them...)
You could use the ones from painting your house, or you could go get clean ones that have never been used from the paint or hardware store. They do sell them empty and they're fairly cheap. I have no idea whether some scrapbooking company has gotten the idea of selling them at a jacked-up price, LOL!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"