Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-14-2008, 09:24 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stamping on Baby Tees and Onesies

Hi,
Need your help! I wanted to stamp on baby tees and onesies as part of a baby shower gift, but have never done this before. If anyone has done this, I'd truly appreciate any tips and insights on how to do this. I'm pretty sure I have to use craft ink and heat setting, but will the hybrid inks work as well? Do I have to prewash the item before stamping? Thank you for any advice on how to start this project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2008, 10:29 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jens17View Post
Hi,
Need your help! I wanted to stamp on baby tees and onesies as part of a baby shower gift, but have never done this before. If anyone has done this, I'd truly appreciate any tips and insights on how to do this. I'm pretty sure I have to use craft ink and heat setting, but will the hybrid inks work as well? Do I have to prewash the item before stamping? Thank you for any advice on how to start this project.
I have stamped waaay too many onsies for gifts and several art festivals, they were very popular item, and they sold the most.
There are 2 ways I did it, craft inks, and iron on transfers with copics and hybrid inks.
For both ways, I first washed the onsies with no deterget or softener.
Then threw them in the dryer.
For the ones I used craft ink, I used it with solid image stamps, I put a tin cardboard in between the layers of the onesie. And then I stamped on it. Then I threw all the onsies in the dryer for about 40-50min, and ironed them. You can iron them to heat set the ink before you put them in the dryer, as I was stamping on both sides I did that so the ink doesn't smear when I turn the onesie on the other side. Do not use the iron on steam setting, you will need to use it on NO STEAM.

As for the iron on transfers, I Picked line image stamps, and stamped on the iron on transfer sheet with pallete hybrid, and waited to dry then colored it with copics and other alcohol based markers, then followed the directions for applying it on the fabric provided with the transfer sheet.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2008, 10:39 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Hey Ilina! I was hoping you could jump in and answer this since you are the "onesie" expert!!!

Ilina has made a ton of these and they were incredible! Definately take her advice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2008, 10:51 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilinacrouseView Post
I have stamped waaay too many onsies for gifts and several art festivals, they were very popular item, and they sold the most.
There are 2 ways I did it, craft inks, and iron on transfers with copics and hybrid inks.
For the ones I used craft ink, I used it with solid image stamps, I put a tin cardboard in between the layers of the onesie. And then I stamped on it. Then I threw all the onsies in the dryer for about 40-50min, and ironed them. You can iron them to heat set the ink before you put them in the dryer, as I was stamping on both sides I did that so the ink doesn't smear when I turn the onesie on the other side. Do not use the iron on steam setting, you will need to use it on NO STEAM.

As for the iron on transfers, I Picked line image stamps, and stamped on the iron on transfer sheet with pallete hybrid, and waited to dry then colored it with copics and other alcohol based markers, then followed the directions for applying it on the fabric provided with the transfer sheet.
This is a neat idea as two of my co-workers just had babies! My question is do you need to put a layer of something in between the fabric and the iron? Will the color come off on your iron? Thanks

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2008, 12:57 PM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

I put wax paper between the layers when i iron the ones that i make.

Ernestine -Angel-3088
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2008, 06:27 PM   #6  
Inking Addict

Thank you so much for your advice and comments!! I knew I could count on "my splitcoast family" for guidance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2008, 06:34 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

I also have done iron-on transfers onto onesies and burp clothes. I had no issue with the transfer going anywhere other than onto the onesies (which I had washed before hand). I used Palette Noir ink and stamped the images ahead of time to allow them to thoroughly dry. Then I colored with Copics. There are pictures in my gallery of the onesies.

Since this was a gift, I included a note to the mom-to-be that they should be washed inside out and in cold water. Unfortunately, I have not heard anything from the recipient (not even a thank you note for the shower gift :(), so I have no idea if they peeled at all after washing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2009, 06:18 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilinacrouseView Post
So, they are just washed in plain water? Can you just get them wet and throw them in the dryer? Or is it better to actually run them through the washing machine?

Thanks for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2009, 06:21 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

I washed the ones I did in Dreft baby detergent and dried them with an unscented dryer sheet.

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes