Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-19-2005, 03:09 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Unmounting your Stamps???

I am thinking of unmounting all my mounted stamps, I am wondering how do I go about taking them off of the wood? Also to use them unmounted, I know I need acrylic Blocks but what do I use to get them to stick to the blocks?? Please help??

Thanks,
Janie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2005, 03:14 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

on other boards that I belong to, the method to unmount stamps was to put them in the microwave for 5-10 seconds just to heat up the adhesive so that you can peel it off the wood block. As far as adhering to acrylic blocks, I know my demon uses crystal effects to remount hers on the acrylic blocks, and they seem to stick.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2005, 04:24 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Yes, you just pop them in the microwave for about 10 seconds. If you want to mount them on acrylic blocks, then use repositionable glue -- Aileen's Tack it Over and Over is good. I store mine in binders and stick them on the blocks when I'm ready to stamp. I love unmounted!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2005, 04:30 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelsluvs2scrap
Yes, you just pop them in the microwave for about 10 seconds. If you want to mount them on acrylic blocks, then use repositionable glue -- Aileen's Tack it Over and Over is good. I store mine in binders and stick them on the blocks when I'm ready to stamp. I love unmounted!
if you unmount them from the wood, a lot of people go one step further and take the cushion off too and then remount them to ezmount foam - it works like the old Colorforms when we were kids.... it sticks and sticks and sticks.... you san see products and directions, etc., at www.sundayint.com

BLINGO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2005, 04:33 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Wink

I'm thinking if you use Crystal Effects to stick the rubber to the acrylic block, it'll be stuck there permanently . . .which might not be what you're looking for.

There is a type of cushion called EZ-Mount, you can purchase it from Sunday International or a TAC demo, that sticks to the acrylic when you want to use the stamp, and then peels right off when you're done. If you want to experiment to see if you really like using unmounteds, you can also use Scotch Poster tape to stick the rubber to the acrylic block. Or you can buy a bottle of Alene's Tack It Over and Over glue and apply that to the back of the rubber. Once it dries, it's repositionable and will stick to the block for stamping and then peel back off.

Bit of advice - try this with one or two stamps, or maybe just one set, and see if you like it. I love using unmounteds because they're much less expensive to buy, take up less space for storage and you can see thru the acrylic block to get a better idea of where you're placing the image. If you search thru the forums here, though, you'll find a number of stampers who feel it's kind of a hassle to have to stick the rubber on the block to stamp and then peel it back off when they're done. For the most part, if I buy a stamp on wood, it stays on wood; if I buy foam-mounted sets (nice images, cheap sets, but they don't stamp for beans because of the foam!) I unmount them and use the Tack It Over and Over or EZ Mount on them. I also have one of the Making Memories magnetic alphabet sets and I hate using them with the handles they're made for - but they work slicker than slick on an acrylic mount with the poster tape holding them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2005, 05:05 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

When I unmounted mine, I just pulled them off the block. I tried using the microwave, but it became a hassle and if you work slowly, you can just pull most off fairly easily.

I really like the EZ Mount system from Sunday Int. Also, their acrylic blocks are really wonderful, the nicest I've ever seen. They are a tiny bit more expensive than others, but in the end you only make this investment once and the comfort of the acrylic block will increase your comfort with this system. Also, they sell a great new block with a grid in it so that you can line up your alphabet letters precisely and stamp whole words at once.

PM me if you have more questions as I have completely converted recently and I don't regret it for a second. Also, I like to store my stamps in cheap CD jewel cases now. So easy and compact. I love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2005, 08:40 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

I just did this last week with all of my random stamps that I've bought over the years. Wow, I've gained a ton of room in my stamp storage area. I used the microwave method for half. I was sitting in my stamping room, talking to my husband and fiddling around with a mounted stamp and WOW it came off easier than the nuked ones. So I just pulled the rest of them off the wood blocks. Husband shaking his head the whole time. He doesn't get most of my hobbies, but he likes to keep me happy so he doesn't complain. I've got the EZ mount sheets, did a search and bought them from some place in Oregon, because they had the cheapest. Super fast shipping too. You'll love them once you get going. I am however too chicken to mess with my SU stamps. They are the royalty of my collection. Maybe after I use the others a bit more I'll be brave enough to unmount those. Maybe. I do notice that I use the other ones more now that they are soooo handy.
Reply With Quote Likes