Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-15-2013, 12:17 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stampin up demonstrators help

I have made the decision to join Stampin up here in the UK and am very excited, so I now have the task of picking what I am going to purchase for my start up kit.

Most of the stamps that I have already are no longer in the range, so I will need to buy some stamps, and I have a few ink pads that are still current other than that I would love some guidance, my upline will help but I am not seeing her for a few weeks so...........

What I would love to know is what are your essential items that you think I should buy, I am planning to get the owl punch as I have seen so many ideas with that, and the mosaic bundle as I think I can do lots of different demonstrations with that, especially with my plan to do christmas demonstrations, and I am guessing I need some whisper white card stock!

What would you definitely buy if you were starting out again?

thanks for your help with this really excited to hear your answers.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2013, 02:33 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Welcome to the family!!! I think the answer to your question is really dependent on a lot of things (like budget, goals, etc.) Of course, getting the whole catalog would be fun!

Teeny Tiny Wishes is a set that is used often and has a greeting to go with every occasions. I would encourage you to look at that and the word window punch fits most if not all of those greetings.

I would pick a color family that really speaks to you and aim for some paper and embellishments in that color family. the current in-colors are delish so you may consider that as a color family that you love and start in.

Enjoy - be sure to sign up for the demo forum on here once you are officially registered with SU. You will find lots of friendly folks in that section ready to help too.

Congrats!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2013, 06:43 AM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You will want your starter kit to be flexible and contain the items you need to get started with holiday workshops.
So ... White paper, assorted cardstock from one of the colour families - brights is a good choice since it gives you red and green. Black ink, brights ink colours - pick a couple, and a versatile Christmas stamp set.
Or go with the new in Colors, and the Winter frost suite from the holiday catalogue. Coastal cabana, smoky slate, and the pack of papers - which is perfect for cards.

Or the season of style suite.

Pick something that YOU like, that coordinates, so you don't have to buy too much at first. And those packs of papers are perfect!
As you earn money, you can add more and expand.

Does this make any sense? Or have I just confused you? (Apparently I've been known to do that)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the previous Gail that you should buy things that you like! The few times (back when I was a demo) that I was frustrated was when I bought things only because I thought they would be popular and then had a hard time using them and didn't really care to keep them myself once they retired.
I think it would be good to consider what types of stamps you'd want to be able to demo as in: a two step stamp set, one you can color, a good general set of sentiments, something for the different seasons, etc.
A cutter that you can demo with as well as a scrubber and cleaning mist are not a very glamorous way to spend your $$ but a necessary one I think.
Now that the In Color colors stay around for 2 years they would be fun to have on hand especially as it seems that the current dp sets tend to use them (at least from what I remember). Otherwise I think buying the color family that you like best makes sense too.
Have fun and best wishes as you start out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #5  
Cardstock Collector

Really helpful advice, thanks I already have the scrubber and mist so that will help I hadn't really thought of packs of papers, too busy thinking to spot the obvious missing item

thanks for your help, much appreciated
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2013, 06:48 AM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

To keep your costs down don't get to many embellishments, ribbon, or load up on DSP because thee things retire and they can get pricey when you have to supply them for workshops.

Wow them with embossing powders (always gets the new stampers), water coloring with ink pads and our aqua pens or coloring with blender pens.

The best advice everyone has given you is buy what you like not what you think will sell. You'll be able to sell them with your talent & by showing how much you love the product
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by madameplushbottomView Post
Welcome to the family!!! I think the answer to your question is really dependent on a lot of things (like budget, goals, etc.) Of course, getting the whole catalog would be fun!

Teeny Tiny Wishes is a set that is used often and has a greeting to go with every occasions. I would encourage you to look at that and the word window punch fits most if not all of those greetings.

I would pick a color family that really speaks to you and aim for some paper and embellishments in that color family. the current in-colors are delish so you may consider that as a color family that you love and start in.

Enjoy - be sure to sign up for the demo forum on here once you are officially registered with SU. You will find lots of friendly folks in that section ready to help too.

Congrats!
How long does it take for a reply after you send a request to sign up for the demo forum? It's been nearly a week, and I can be patient, but just wonder how long to expect.

Free cat hair with every card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianneB1030View Post
How long does it take for a reply after you send a request to sign up for the demo forum? It's been nearly a week, and I can be patient, but just wonder how long to expect.
Hi Dianne - It's been a couple of years since I signed up so I don't recall the turn around time. I tried looking for information on joining the demo side and am struggling to find info. You may consider contacting Lydia. She is one of the site staff and she is incredibly helpful. If she is not able to personally help you, I am confident she will point you in the right direction. Here's where you can find her and then click send her a message: Splitcoaststampers - View Profile: UnderstandBlue

HTH and welcome to the family Dianne!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh yay! So glad you're joining the family! I think getting one of the bundles that matches a punch with a stamp set is a great idea! My favorite is the Six-Sided Sampler Bundle with the Flower Shop Bundle coming in a close second. I rarely use the Mosaic one...but if you love it, go for it! Same with the owl - I never use that one and would suggest something more versatile, like a scallop circle punch or an oval punch. I LOVE the Word Window and Modern Label punch with Teeny Tiny Wishes! But I've seen a lot of punch art with the owl - that isn't my thing so maybe that's why I don't use it. Get what you love and it will shine through in your demonstrations!!! Good luck! And WELCOME!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2013, 04:31 AM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

thanks for all your guidance, Sarah I will have another look, I guess the idea of the owl was because of all the things people have made with it, rather than going for what I like, and as the advise coming across strongly is use stuff you like I may reconsider for my first order!! I see my up line next Thursday to finalise my order, and can hardly wait to get started
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by madameplushbottomView Post
Hi Dianne - It's been a couple of years since I signed up so I don't recall the turn around time. I tried looking for information on joining the demo side and am struggling to find info. You may consider contacting Lydia. She is one of the site staff and she is incredibly helpful. If she is not able to personally help you, I am confident she will point you in the right direction. Here's where you can find her and then click send her a message: Splitcoaststampers - View Profile: UnderstandBlue

HTH and welcome to the family Dianne!

Thanks for the welcome. I heard from the demo verification team today, and just submitted the info they requested, so should have access in the next few days.

Free cat hair with every card!
Reply With Quote Likes