Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-16-2015, 06:36 AM   #1  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts
Default Operation Gratitude Update

Instead of continuing the now long thread titled Wounded Warrior about finding a new place to send blank cards in support of troops, I am starting fresh.

Recap: WW is not able to process them. They referred me to Op Gratitude who called me last night. As promised, I am relaying the info:

I spoke with Emily Rich, Dir of Nat Development, a very lovely lady who said they would be very happy to get our cards. I made it [B]very[B] clear that many of us will still be sending to OWH till Aug. and she was fine with it.

They send packages to deployed, veterans, new recruits, wounded warriors and First Responders (fireman, police and EMS-I presume injured?) and family/caregivers of them all.

This is the link: About Operation Gratitude - Operation Gratitude

Currently Op Grat does a letter writing program very like Hero Mail for OWH.

This is the flyer she sent me:
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#in...87?projector=1

The mailing address given would be the same we would send blank cards to.

Here are the card guidelines she gave me:
Non denominational.
No glitter

Very general topics:
Happy Birthday
Thinking of you
Miss you
Love you
Congratulations (could work for grads, new baby, etc)

No holidays other than xmas-which they need in house by Oct 1st. They do do a big holiday push. If you do seasonal, keep in mind the timing. Takes them just as long to get there and back and may take longer for OP Grat to process in the first place than OWH. Summer drinks in Nov doesnt really work.

Keep in mind-they dont have a card hospital like Sandy so try to hold by all the good lessons Sandy taught us about no sticky bits, good weight paper, no "sneeze", etc. I really pitched heavily that we were talking about really good quality cards.

If you do send the letters, they ask if you want them to go to a particular group like vets vs deployed, you tie them up and label them way.

They do read all incoming mail for appropriateness.

Financial donations:
It costs them the same 15/box to ship as it does OWH being a PO priority box. HOWEVER-DO NOT include checks with your box. Go to their Donate button and use that. She did say they really can use the money.

Here are gen directions and they do have a tax form you can print out and use on the site:
https://opgrat.wordpress.com/2011/09...shipping-info/

In case you do want to see the original thread:
Wounded Warrior Project by wavejumper at Splitcoaststampers

There was also mention in that thread of another group called Hope for the Warriors. I dont know what their requirements are but they also look very promising.

Home - Hope For The Warriors�

One last time...I am NOT trying to re-direct traffic from OWH-please PLEASE keep sending to them till the end. (in by Aug 1st) I was just doing re-con for a new choice after that is over. i started early since it takes me a long time to get anything done. Sandy has done SUCH an amazing job for seven years with OWH-not just processing the cards (as if that is some small thing) but teaching us, herding us, helping us, cajoling us lol....3 MILLION cards went out. That is such a testament to her and to all the cardmakers! We watched her hair style change, went on walks with her beloved pup and shared in the grief of his loss. We traveled with her to Europe and she shared her experiences with new products with us while nudging us to get rid of scraps. It was an amazing, very personalized experience that likely wont be repeated.

The idea is just that there are many people who like to support the troops, so I was just looking for another opportunity when the time comes.

I think that covers all the bases. I have Ms. Rich's phone in case I need to ask any Qs. So if you have some, feel free to ask me either here or PM me.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2015, 07:04 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Job wavejumper!! Seriously, I definitely appreciate your "re-con" work in tracking down another organization that will take cards for military personnel. And I LOVE that they do deployed as well as veteran, and first responders! I haven't had time to check all the links you gave us but look forward to reading up on this group.
In the meantime, I am working on cards when I can and they are going to OWH until Aug. 1st.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2015, 07:12 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wavejumper, thank you SO much for all your legwork on this! I will be following up with Operation Gratitude.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2015, 08:17 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Great to know! thank you so much for researching this!

www.funstampersjourney.com/julierobinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2015, 08:35 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 811 Likes on 532 Posts

Wavejumper - thanks for all of your hard work and persistence with this! I will check out the links and move forward with sending some cards out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2015, 09:49 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't get the flyer link to open up.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2015, 12:33 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great -- thank you for doing the legwork!

I'm a bit confused between letters and greeting cards because on the website it describes how to write the letters but says to make them fit a business-size envelope. Would we send blank greeting cards? Or cards with a handwritten message in them? Or if we want to write messages, do we have to do it in a business-size letter?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2015, 02:37 PM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

You're welcome. I am happy to give back to the community.

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppydarlingView Post
Great -- thank you for doing the legwork!

I'm a bit confused between letters and greeting cards because on the website it describes how to write the letters but says to make them fit a business-size envelope. Would we send blank greeting cards? Or cards with a handwritten message in them? Or if we want to write messages, do we have to do it in a business-size letter?
Right-because to date, they have been requesting letters of general support they can send several of to the troops. That is why the flyer is targeted to that alone. This card idea from me is new for them.

I am sorry, I acted like everyone in the universe should know what Hero mail at OWH is. Oy. Ok....so basically it is a letter or picture by kids of support to a person-with Op Grat you can tailor it to active duty, vets, wounded warriors, etc-they just ask you separate by group type. It would like "thank you for your service/ my family served/we in X state really appreciate our troops, etc etc. There are guidelines in the link below. It is meant to be an expression of gratitude and/or a pick me up note or encouragement. It does not have to be very long.

Blank greeting cards is different for them and would likely be treated as any other donation items. We spoke about them putting half a dozen in each box of different sentiments.

She said she would investigate having something specific about blank cards put on the website but it didnt sound promising.

Here is another link to try about writing letters:
https://www.operationgratitude.com/writeletters/

It is odd that they say that about not writing personal notes on a greeting card since my understanding is they put them in boxes to be shipped so the size should not matter? I will add it to my Q list for her.

Summary: If you want to write them a letter, do it on letter paper.

If you want to send them blank cards for them to use, you can do that.

I would separate them though in a box...you want to note which group, if any your letter (s) are to go anyway. When they see a donation form they should understand about the cards.

Is that good?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2015, 03:51 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That brochure didn't open for me so I read the page on writing letters instead which confused me :-) I'll definitely consider donating to this cause as it all shakes out… thanks again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2015, 04:05 PM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

I just found this on their "How You Can Help" page:
Quote:

Hand-made Greeting Cards:
We welcome hand-made cards with your personal messages on them or blank cards that the troops can use to write to their loved ones (or to you!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2015, 08:26 PM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gammawlyView Post
I just found this on their "How You Can Help" page:
Great! So this isnt so new to them.

Also the way I worded it above sounded like the letters/pictures should be from kids. No...it can from adults OR kids.

As she explained it to me, if we send a box of blank cards to that address on the flyer, it will get distributed to the people.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2015, 03:14 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks for all this great info!
I will continue to follow this thread
Karen S
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2015, 03:55 AM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

I am trying the original flyer with a different:
http://origin.library.constantcontac...-3_General.pdf

I found what the others did-it is under their donate pull down for needed items-it does specifically say blank greeting cards towards the bottom.

https://www.operationgratitude.com/wishlist/

I am not sure what they are talking about with the written letter size. I will ask when I speak to her next.

Last edited by wavejumper; 06-17-2015 at 03:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2015, 09:22 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

wavejumper...thanks so much for this thread and all your effort in researching and reporting back. I've been searching for an outlet for my passion/cards since the announcement and just didn't find a link that felt like home for me. I am looking forward to studying all the details of what this organization (s) needs and how my card making efforts may support their mission. I think I studied the OWH guidelines/mission for 3 months before I took the leap. It's been months since I've logged on here and am so glad I found this inspiring news today! Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2015, 02:06 PM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

You're welcome.

It's just one option of many out there. I was looking for a troop support thing in this case but there are lots of worthy choices! There are so many incredibly talented people here with the biggest hearts around. Cant have that getting stifled! (ala Archie Bunker lol)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2015, 05:42 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 165 Likes on 130 Posts

I love this! I have tons of cards that I've received in swaps over my many years of being an SU demo and from various SCS swaps. I'll go through them for appropriate cards to send and get started. Plus I'm always looking for a new reason to stamp! Sounds like a very worthwhile charity. Thanks for doing the legwork!

March to the Beat Round 4

Baker’s Dozen Round 37
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2015, 06:33 AM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

THANK YOU, Wavejumper for all this work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2015, 08:33 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

since i never did OWH cards, can you point me to a post or something for sandy's tips? i know about no glitter, but not about sticky bits and certainly not about sneezing - have never heard that term. i suppose we all are proud of our art work, but i was always intimidated to try OWH as i had heard that they were really picky about the cards in terms of them having to be very nice. Wasn't sure what they considered to be nice enough. I was concerned that my work that I am proud of would be deemed unacceptable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2015, 03:01 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Looking at the cards in your gallery...they are super-cute! Anyone would love to receive one, or more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2015, 07:02 PM   #20  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by swldebbieView Post
since i never did OWH cards, can you point me to a post or something for sandy's tips? i know about no glitter, but not about sticky bits and certainly not about sneezing - have never heard that term. i suppose we all are proud of our art work, but i was always intimidated to try OWH as i had heard that they were really picky about the cards in terms of them having to be very nice. Wasn't sure what they considered to be nice enough. I was concerned that my work that I am proud of would be deemed unacceptable.
This is the guidelines:

Guidelines | Operation Write Home

The sneeze discussion:

OWHtv: Episode 3 (sneeze!) | Operation Write Home

One excellent resource for people might be to download now is the sketch library-I think they are up to 257 or something like that? (Sketches are pre-designed layouts) There is usually an example, taken from a submitted card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2015, 03:23 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

You totally rock! Thanks for all the information and your dedication!

Live each day with kindness, happiness, and a smile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2015, 05:19 PM   #22  
Proud Fan Club Member

You're welcome

I am still so sad about losing OWH...I mean it's great the troops are mostly coming home of course-but from a totally selfish POV, I will really really miss Sandy and her posts. She is a natural on vid and a good teacher.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2015, 06:42 PM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Getting ready to send my last box to OWH and will definitely check this site out. Thanks for the tip.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2015, 07:54 PM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

Sending my last box tomorrow. I'm already feeling aimless. 'Withdrawal pains.'
Reply With Quote Likes