Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Linen or Canvas??? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/linen-canvas-121647/)

buttons2 02-17-2006 05:59 AM

Linen or Canvas???

What are the pros and cons of each of the BG stamps? TIA>

Wanda

JulieHRR 02-17-2006 06:37 AM

Linen vs. Canvas

:grin:

Auntielauri 02-17-2006 06:42 AM

You need to adjust your thinking, it's Linen AND Canvas!! I have Canvas and love it and will be ordering Linen as soon as I can!!

Lauri

LSN 02-17-2006 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auntielauri
You need to adjust your thinking, it's Linen AND Canvas!! I have Canvas and love it and will be ordering Linen as soon as I can!!

Lauri

What she said!

Linda

mamakimberly 02-17-2006 06:55 AM

linen!!!

mtnstamper 02-17-2006 07:10 AM

Both!! Love, love, love 'em both! :D

buttons2 02-17-2006 07:57 AM

YOU GUYS ARE NO HELP AT ALL!!!!! I may end up with both of them and it's all your fault :>)

row4d 02-17-2006 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttons2
YOU GUYS ARE NO HELP AT ALL!!!!! I may end up with both of them and it's all your fault :>)

Bwahahahahaaaaa! :twisted:

geogymnast82 02-18-2006 07:16 AM

I've been wondering the same thing. I have Canvas now and love the look I can get for lots of different styles. I had a little version of the "screen" look that I used a bunch, so I got the Canvas since it's a really big screen look. I love the look of the Linen. It has more of the artist canvas look or regular canvas material. It all depends on the look you're going for. I'll probably end up with the Linen stamp because of the artist canvas look I'm going for in a lot of my collage cards. The Canvas stamp doesn't give the look I want for that particular card style for me.

CardFanatic 02-18-2006 09:06 AM

I have Canvas. To me the two BGs look too similar. I'm not feeling the need to get Linen.

kristransue 02-18-2006 09:23 AM

I think Linen has a softer look, and Canvas does look like a screen. I absolutely love both, and even used them together and liked that effect . . . so if you can't get both, put both names in a hat and pull out one name

stampfunny 02-18-2006 09:36 AM

Linen or Canvas????

I have neither but had planned on the Canvas. I think the Linen BG is a little softer and will buy that one first since it's limited. That will leave me the option of buying the canvas later.

Joan B 02-18-2006 10:45 AM

Linen. check out Michelle Laycock's gallery. Linen creates paper that actually looks like fabric. It is awesome. I have both. Get the linen first!!

Erin in Okc 02-18-2006 12:44 PM

I'm voting for Linen-definitely!! When I first saw it, I thought it was too much like canvas. But now I just think canvas looks like a screen, and the linen actually looks more like an artist's canvas. SO beautiful!!

Erin in Okc

mothermcbride 02-18-2006 12:45 PM

I'll be getting Linen as soon as I can put in a big order in April. (I'm trying so hard to behave, although I've not been completely successful.) :( But, I like Linen so much better. I don't have Canvas and just didn't feel like I wanted it, despite it's popularity. I had, however, decided to get Canvas anyway, and then, along came Linen. :smile:

mcschmidty 02-18-2006 01:55 PM

linen vs canvas

How much different is linen from the blue jean/denim background stamp??? Does anyone know???

Shelly

peggysue 02-18-2006 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen70
I have Canvas. To me the two BGs look too similar. I'm not feeling the need to get Linen.

Doesn't FEEL the need! Watch the coin swing back and forth Jen, back and forth, you are feeling sleepy, sleeeepy. You neeeed both. You neeeed both.
peggysue

ponygirl40 02-18-2006 02:06 PM

CANVAS! But what else would I say? I like pairing Canvas with Cheesecloth. I like Linen for stamping over a finished watercolored image for a bit more softness. I don't think that Linen is bold enough to stand alone as a background -- it's fine to layer with other bg's, though.

Boss 02-18-2006 03:24 PM

ARGGG! Why did you even start this post in the first place?!

I had convinced myself that linen looks too similar to canvas to justify having both of them (I already have and LOVE canvas)......
Well after reading the comentary here I realize I MUST have linen for those times when canvas is "too much" and plain is "too simple"...How could you do this to me?!!!! (Are you sure my demo didn't put you up to this just to get that subliminal thought thing going? :razz: )

I'm mentally spending money and I haven't even seen the new mini yet ;) ...

Susy

helenrx 02-18-2006 03:55 PM

just jeans vs linen

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcschmidty
How much different is linen from the blue jean/denim background stamp??? Does anyone know???

Shelly

Is there anyone who already has Just Jeans and Canvas and is considering getting Linen?

Ksullivan 02-18-2006 04:40 PM

Oooooh I should have never looked at this thread, I thought I had it all figured out, I was feeling like Jen70, don't need it like Canvas, I was so sure, that I ordered Canvas today. And know what am I thinking #@!&$ I might need to get Linen too! I like the idea of Stamping it over an image to soften, buggers, no more great ideas guys!

K

lynnewithane 02-18-2006 04:55 PM

I remember that when canvas first came out in the mini, it was too small for a standard card, but larger when it came out in the big catalog. What about linen? Does anyone have it already and know that it is the right size?

Boss 02-18-2006 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithane
I remember that when canvas first came out in the mini, it was too small for a standard card, but larger when it came out in the big catalog. What about linen? Does anyone have it already and know that it is the right size?

Excellent question! I would hope SU would be extra careful about the size issue after all the hassle and expense they went through replacing the rubber on the original canvas stamps. Have any of the other BG stamps had this problem or was it confined to canvas?

debbiedesigns 02-18-2006 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithane

I am playing with it at the moment--it's more than ample to cover a whole card front. Don't let size stop you! :-)

TXstamper 02-18-2006 10:22 PM

Linen is compared to Just Jeans

I have Just Jeans and the new Linen background stamps. This is how I see the difference between the two:

Just Jeans stamps a denser fabric image, with diagonal "twill" lines exactly as you would find in an actual cotton twill or denim fabric.

Linen stamps a softer fabric image, one that is less "inked" than the Just Jeans. The thread pattern is horizontal, rather than the distinctly diagonal pattern of Just Jeans.

Linen looks very different from Just Jeans! I find that I am using the new Linen background stamp all the time because it is so versatile. I hardly ever use my Just Jeans -- only when I want a denim look.

Now for further comparisons:

With the Linen stamp, the threads are very fine and make teeny-tiny rectangles that look like stitches. Row upon row of tiny, miniscule stitches. The resulting fabric image has a tighter, more refined weave to it than the ones created with the Wonderful Weaves stamp set.

I also own Canvas. You may kill me for saying this, but the new Linen is TOTALLY different from Canvas! The stamped image created by Canvas looks like millions of tiny, uninked open squares; whereas the image created by Linen looks like millions of tiny, inked stitches in horizontal rows.

I hope that my descriptions help. It is so difficult to find words to adequately explain these backgrounds!

I do love my new Linen background stamp! You won't be sorry if you order one!

Happy Stamping!
Connie

lynnewithane 02-19-2006 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbiedesigns
I am playing with it at the moment--it's more than ample to cover a whole card front. Don't let size stop you! :-)

Thank you. Glad to get that cleared up! Now I just need my mini to come in the mail.

Boss 02-19-2006 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXstamper
I have Just Jeans and the new Linen background stamps. This is how I see the difference between the two:

Just Jeans stamps a denser fabric image, with diagonal "twill" lines exactly as you would find in an actual cotton twill or denim fabric.

Linen stamps a softer fabric image, one that is less "inked" than the Just Jeans. The thread pattern is horizontal, rather than the distinctly diagonal pattern of Just Jeans.

Linen looks very different from Just Jeans! I find that I am using the new Linen background stamp all the time because it is so versatile. I hardly ever use my Just Jeans -- only when I want a denim look.

With the Linen stamp, the threads are very fine and make teeny-tiny rectangles that look like stitches. Row upon row of tiny, miniscule stitches. The resulting fabric image has a tighter, more refined weave to it than the ones created with the Wonderful Weaves stamp set.

I also own Canvas. You may kill me for saying this, but the new Linen is TOTALLY different from Canvas! The stamped image created by Canvas looks like millions of tiny, uninked open squares; whereas the image created by Linen looks like millions of tiny, inked stitches in horizontal rows.

I hope that my descriptions help. It is so difficult to find words to adequately explain these backgrounds!

Happy Stamping!
Connie

Thank you for the very detailed description of how each of these different texture stamps compare to the others -- I now have a very clear picture in my mind what the Linen bg looks like. Just as I suspected, I will HAVE to put this on my buy list as soon as my catty arrives!

scoopy 02-20-2006 08:38 AM

Thanks - this is helpful. Which one works best for kissing with stamps like the Headline Alphabet? I've tried it with the Canvas stamp and it works great. Has anyone tried it with linen?

yytx 02-20-2006 09:14 AM

I am SOOOOOO kicking myself for even reading this thread... I recently bought Canvas after seeing it used so much in the gallery in such creative ways - convinced myself that it was MUST HAVE!! and now here comes this new one that seems also like a must have - had convinced myself that they were similar enough... now I think I am being gently persuaded otherwise!!

Marthar 02-20-2006 12:48 PM

You can make the coolest letters using Canvas BG and the Letterpress alphabet. Use the "kiss" technique. You know: ink the BG, then press the letters to the BG, then stamp. My DH thinks I'm so clever! :)

Boss 02-20-2006 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marthar
You can make the coolest letters using Canvas BG and the Letterpress alphabet. Use the "kiss" technique. You know: ink the BG, then press the letters to the BG, then stamp. My DH thinks I'm so clever! :)

This is so true! The canvas "kissing" technique works so well with solid rubber images.........from the description of what the linen bg really looks like, I suspect that kissing the linen stamp would end up with a too subtle image, does that make sense? Just a suspicion, but it's my stamper's guess that canvas would yield a better kissed image.

nightscrapper 02-20-2006 07:36 PM

Both! I'm patiently waiting for the linen bg. Com'on March!

marlo

raduse 02-20-2006 07:45 PM

You need both! I have them both and wouldn't do without either one.

palval77 02-20-2006 09:12 PM

Both!

Boss 02-21-2006 11:52 AM

BTT for my FlyBaby friends! (....hi, Tricia & Cher!) :)

Susy

kulissa 02-21-2006 12:03 PM

I think they're totally different. The canvas is a rougher, loose-weave look, and the linen is more of a refined, tighter-weave, more delicate. I just mounted my linen stamp last night and I'm so excited to use it!

Lisa62 02-24-2006 12:45 PM

omg you ladies are killing my budget.I truly hope I have a huge workshop so I CAN GET ALL THE ITEMS ON MY WISH LIST.DAAHHH! THE WHOLE BOOK NOW.Thanks to you ladies I was convinced on buying canvas.now since linen is so popular I might be soon adding this on my list.
It's very hard though to see the detail work in some of the cards.so I may have to see it up close to really get an idea of the 2 together.until I see them both together I'm not sure what I'll get now.My list is getting longer and longer.
Good thing I have 3 months for this catalog.just wish it was longer.Hope some of these make it into the big catalog.this way when they come out with the big catalog I may have a second chance at it.

do I really need both of them.please talk me out of the linen one please.

Boss 02-24-2006 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa62
omg you ladies are killing my budget.
do I really need both of them.please talk me out of the linen one please.

You don't want the linen bg -- it would be too much fun to use and the cards you make with it would be so fabulous that you would be blushing with all the compliments you would receive...is it working?;)

JoyOfStamping 02-24-2006 03:35 PM

Love them BOTH! ;)

jsbrooketrout 02-24-2006 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXstamper

Happy Stamping!
Connie

Yeah....... what she said! I completely agree!