Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-12-2022, 02:35 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Let's Talk Small Cardstock!

Curious how small of sizes do you keep of cardstock scraps? I think I am going to through out anything smaller than a 4x6 and start storing in a photo box?

Curious to see others ideas?
Old 01-12-2022, 02:42 PM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 218 Likes on 70 Posts

If I can punch something from it, then I keep it.
My scraps go into a sturdy page protector that I store with its respective color (I use a paper holder from Stamp-N-Storage for my cardstock). When I use a color, I always search the scraps first and generally find what I need (or make do with what I find!). My scraps (miraculously) have never gotten out of control.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 6 users liked this post by cnsteele:
Boss (01-12-2022), CaffeineCrafter (01-12-2022), cjzim (01-12-2022), harvestmoon (01-13-2022), jeannemlehrman (01-12-2022), smhtwin (01-12-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 02:57 PM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 348 Likes on 262 Posts

I keep a lot of scraps. If I pay attention, they go back with the full size sheets. Many are sorted by color in a container and I go there first to see if there is a large enough piece for what I want. I keep small sizes as do I use them. I know many people keep strips when they cut a layer down then they add these strips to a card base or weave strips together to create a background.

Featured Stamper #671
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
smhtwin (01-12-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 03:14 PM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

I keep my scraps in one-gallon Ziploc bags and sorted by colors.

I do try to look through them when I need just a small piece of paper.

My twin, who makes all of our family scrapbooks, loves my scrap bags and uses them as much as she can : ) She's much better at it than I am!

As for the sizes I keep, that's always a struggle for me......when is a scrap too small and should just be put in the recycle bin??!! I have a tendency to save anything bigger than 2".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2022, 03:45 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 160 Likes on 85 Posts

I keep them in an accordion storage file that was designed for 6 x 12 sticker sheets. I've had it for many years - probably as long as I've been scrapbooking (over 20). If it's smaller than 2 inches in either dimension, I toss it in the paper recyclables bin. When the file gets too thick to close, I go through it and toss the overflow for the white section. I usually have a lot of those from card cut-offs.

I don't save thin strips, no matter how long they are. I know I won't use them. If I need strips for a project, I'll cut them from a larger sheet. Scrap storage can get out of hand, and I try to keep my storage under control.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2022, 05:02 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnsteeleForums at Splitcoaststampers
If I can punch something from it, then I keep it.
My scraps go into a sturdy page protector that I store with its respective color (I use a paper holder from Stamp-N-Storage for my cardstock). When I use a color, I always search the scraps first and generally find what I need (or make do with what I find!). My scraps (miraculously) have never gotten out of control.
Same method I've used for years and it works well for me. I have a re-purposed file cabinet about 3 ft long with two drawers that holds all my card stock in hanging files. I have a clear fe with scraps with each color. As others have said, I usually keep scraps that are big enough to punch something out of. For white and vanilla card stock, I keep a box on my desk that all those strips go into and use them for sentiments, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2022, 07:03 AM   #7  

Received 297 Likes on 153 Posts

half sheets or larger go with full sheets, quarter sheet size are kept in a card file box close at hand. I check there for scraps before reaching for the 1/2 or full sheets. I only keep smaller pieces if it's foil, shimmer, black or the white I use for coloring images; those are the ones I will actually use.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2022, 03:16 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

I too keep my scraps in gallon zip lock bags - one for each color. I keep all sizes, from about 1 inch and larger. A 1 inch piece can be shoes for First Crush kids from Spellbinders, or tiny snowflakes. I sometimes keep way too much. Lately, I've been tossing the left over white strips from when I cut an 8 1/2 X 11 cardstock into four 3 3/4 X 5 pieces for the inside sentiment on my cards. I had a gallon bag absolutely full and just started keeping only about 20 at a time. Some dies are so tiny they are hard to handle, so most of my scraps aren't wasted.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2022, 03:50 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 305 Likes on 181 Posts

I have one of those 12 X 12 storage boxes ( plastic ) that is maybe 2 or 3 inches deep. and it has scraps too small to file. ( and I die cut bitty things from them as my hands do not agree that punchies are a fun thing to do anymore)
but, if the box starts getting too full I either make some time to chop stuff up and or toss scraps of things that are not really going to be used. ( like skinny textured dark cardstocks, I would be more likely to stamp a sentiment on a pale color) kwim?

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2022, 04:26 PM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 245 Likes on 124 Posts

I also have mine in a plastic box, semi organized. I keep them pretty small for sentiments etc. When it is getting too full I will die cut a bunch of common sentiments or make strip cards. That alone is usually good to move a lot out. Anything bigger than a 1/4 sheet of 8 1/2 x 11 stays with full sheets.
Reply With Quote Likes
fl_beachbum (01-14-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 12:17 PM   #11  
Forum Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A scrap has to be at least 2" unless it's a strip. I store the scraps in drawers by color. I created sections. I have 1 - 6x12 and 2 - 6x6 sections in each drawer. One of the 6x6 sections is for all my 6x6 paper (I tear apart the packs and sort by color) and the other 6x6 section is for small pieces.
Attached Thumbnails
Let's Talk Small Cardstock!-20200908_180704-copy-copy.jpg   Let's Talk Small Cardstock!-20200908_163326-copy-copy-copy.jpg   Let's Talk Small Cardstock!-20180119_145116.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old Yesterday, 04:02 AM   #12  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650Forums at Splitcoaststampers
A scrap has to be at least 2" unless it's a strip. I store the scraps in drawers by color. I created sections. I have 1 - 6x12 and 2 - 6x6 sections in each drawer. One of the 6x6 sections is for all my 6x6 paper (I tear apart the packs and sort by color) and the other 6x6 section is for small pieces.
Wow! I love your system!
Reply With Quote Likes
stamphappy1650 (Yesterday)