Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-31-2006, 12:24 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to stock in new scrapbook store?

My best friend has a giftshop and wants to start stocking scrapbooking items. We are in a rural county and the closest real (not counting Wallyworld) scrapbook store is in Austin 50+ miles. There has been lots of interest when she's mentioned stocking a limited supply of scrapbooking items. She is not a scrapbooker or stamper so she's asked me for advise and to help her select merchandise for her store. (note: I'm not a big scrapper and use only SU when I do scrap).

So..... I'm coming to the experts at SCS. What items would be a must stock first for a small scrapbook supply store?

Banded 12-13-07
Ask me about it! Start 238 Current 138 Goal 125

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2006, 12:27 PM   #2  
The Digi-Freak

paper! Basic Grey! Kaleidascope! Wild Asparagus! Ki Memories! Paper is a HUGE seller!

Prima Flowers! $$$ and they sell like wildfire!

A small supply of minibrads would be good!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2006, 01:21 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

I agree with Kimberly but would add:

Rusty Pickle printed paper
Bazzill or Colormates cardstock
Adhesive (dotto and/or mono)

There are 3 types of people in the world. Those that can count and those that can't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2006, 01:23 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Punches and some metal embellishments, along with everythting else everyone said. Oh and some inks like Ancient page and stuff like that
Old 03-31-2006, 01:31 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Paper, paper cutter, adhesive, albums, and the page protectors, acid free journaling pens, stickers. Wish her luck from us.

Also, if she's serious, she needs to join SCS. She can learn a LOT.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2006, 02:36 PM   #6  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Yes,
Basic Grey and Bazzill papers.

Square and circle punches
adhesives
hand held punches
Magic Mesh
Fibers
hemp cord

If I think of anything else, I'll post more.
Michelle Laycock ~ #499 ~
Laycock Designs
Product Designer for Our Daily Bread designs , North Coast Creations and Partner Companies
"They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2006, 02:53 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cool ribbon, like the dotted organdy from May Arts!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2006, 03:00 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Kits! Kits! Kits! Can you tell I love kits? Seriously though, they would be a great item, everything you need is right in there, you just put it together.
SCS Member #2018
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2006, 03:25 PM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

I agree with the kits. If it is a gift store, people are looking to buy a kit with everything included, not just a few sheets of paper. If she thinks locals will come in to buy for themselves, then everything else is in order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2006, 04:12 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Bazzill
Basic Grey
Kaliedascope
Scenic Route
Doodlebug
Karen Foster (all good paper Co.)
Rubons
chipboard
all of those are hot right now, and very basic and versatile...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2006, 05:18 PM   #11  
Forum Fanatic

I agree with stocking punches, especially the McGill stacking circles and squares, and possibly the McGill triple tag punch (like the Spring bouquet punch, except with tags not flowers). I don't know how popular the little punches (3/4") of images are (I think they are by marvy). I know I for one dont' have much use for them, as theya re so small that on a 12x12 layout I don't see much place ot use them. If she makes up some examples of cards or SB layouts using the punches she carries that might help. And icam about carrying sb kits; if the sb products are a sideline and not the focus, that would be a good and safe place to start.

ETA also I think some decorative brads like the making memories with rhinestones in the middle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2006, 05:33 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

If your friend decides to go the kit route, I LOVE Wild Asparagus kits. I want them all!! I also want all the Prima flower bottles. Embellishments are a great item that people love to buy. They're like candy! She may want to keep her scrapping items in the same theme as her other stock; for example if she sells a lot of country cute stuff, then stock country cute papers. If it's a rural place, I'm guessing mostly locals will be shopping there. Does she know her clientele? I'm just thinking she would probably stock the store differently if the clients were mostly tourists. This may be trial and error for her, as she'll want to keep her stock pretty fresh to keep local people from getting bored with the merchandise. I know one reason a local stamp store in my area went out of business was because the same stamps were on the shelves for YEARS in a row. If it doesn't sell in six months, put it on ebay or something! JMHO.

Wild Rose Stamper blog
SCS gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2006, 05:35 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Paper, paper and ribbon

Is there a Michaels or similar near by? If so I would stay away from the punches and inks and basic accessories and really focus on the paper (same designers as metioned already). The Prima flowers and trendy ribbon would be great as well. I would think she would want to market herself as more of a boutique (sp?) scrapbooking store. There are sooo many places where people even in a rural town can find basic tools ( most areas have a CM consultant if nothing else) and chances are they already have them. I live in a large metro area and always find it challenging to find great papers that I see online. I hate ordering paper online though because the shipping many times will far exceed the cost of the paper.

My vote would be for paper, ribbon and maybe things like Prima flowers and chipboard stuff.

Best of Luck
Sharon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2006, 11:47 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

:cool: and a place to sit down and not get overwhelmed.... a table to even be able to put the stuff on to look and see if it even goes together or not.... As many scrapbooking places I have visited, where they where first gift shops, pharmacys, or whatever, you would be surprise that was no place to put your basket to see what you have gathered up, or a place to sit for a minute to think.... (guess I'm getting too old for this....lol..lol) but, I'll spend more money that way....

Faith
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 02:22 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshleyAnne
My best friend has a giftshop and wants to start stocking scrapbooking items. We are in a rural county and the closest real (not counting Wallyworld) scrapbook store is in Austin 50+ miles. There has been lots of interest when she's mentioned stocking a limited supply of scrapbooking items. She is not a scrapbooker or stamper so she's asked me for advise and to help her select merchandise for her store. (note: I'm not a big scrapper and use only SU when I do scrap).

So..... I'm coming to the experts at SCS. What items would be a must stock first for a small scrapbook supply store?
One thing I would do is to have lots and lots of examples of pages, altered books, mini-books, tag books, etc on display, using all the great papers, supplies and embellishment she plans to sell. That way customers can come in and see an idea of what they can do with the "stuff" and make their purchase accordingly.

I know for me and others, it's overwhelming to walk into a store and see all the gorgeous array of papers, stickers, embellishments, but not have a vision of how to put it all together. Having samples available can help give people vision for their own projects, and also help to boost sales.

Handstamped......because I can't draw
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 03:33 AM   #16  
Glitter Guru

How about some magazines like memory makers, creative keepsakes,papercrafts,stampandscrap.for ideas since I always pick up 1 or 2 just to look at when I'm sitting around at night or early morning in my hotel room or cottage before everyone gets up and I'm drinking my coffee.or even on the plane.

you want to get things that nearby stores DO NOT HAVE.Because that will keep people coming back.other wise they will just keep going back to Micheal's.some cool stamps from penny black,outlines,hero has awesome stamps.different kinds of inks like ranger,stazeon,pearl ex powders,sparkling h2o's.brillance stamp pads,a few spectrum,pedal chalk ink pads,stickles,

scrapbooking kits,some 3 d stickers like jolees,soft spoken,metal embellishments,bottle caps,words,eyelets,brads,anything that is very new to the market in scrapbooking.make sure she has a magazine of creating keepsakes to keep up with the lastest trends.this will keep her where she needs to be in order to keep this section of her store going for a long time.she needs to keep up with all the lastest techniques and trends out there.

You want to keep the locals coming back and not getting bored.plus you also want to accomidate the travelers who are on the run.and give them something new to shop for.

California and those places out west are the first to get the newest items on the market.they have the most stores so get a copy of a magazine and check out what businesses are out there and get in contact with them. check out there websites.you can't go wrong with them since they always have the upmost current products and keep up with the trends.they take a little longer to move across the states to my end of the country.since I live on the east coast.

HAVE SAMPLES AND LOTS OF THEM HANGING AROUND IN DIFFERENT PLACES,FOR PEOPLE TO VIEW THEM.

a mix of stamping and scrapbooking items not all scrapping. some people like to do both in there books so you want to have something for them both.

Also if she is in a tourist area something relating to the area you said she lives in Austin so even something like stickers for Texas,if people are visiting and taking picutres of the area they want something to go along with it in there scrapbooks.

Also tell her to keep in mind if things she has in the store aren't selling and they have been there a while to mark them down and get them out of there.don't hold on to them move them out and bring in new things and continualy bring in new things all the time.that's what keeps bring people back.

We had a store where the ladies stocked up on paper and stickers mostly and they went out of business within 2 years,they never brought in anything new or kept up with what was new to the market.also if she has any room

some little bags like bags to hold the supplies in,well good luck to her.

I have my own little store here at home.at least that what my friends tell me.coming here and scrappin with you.why should I buy anything I have everything I need.but just doesn't seem like it to me.I just like organization.

Last edited by Lisa62; 04-01-2006 at 03:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 03:41 AM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am lost without my yellow LARGE corner rounder scissors, no one else seems
to have a large picture rounder, I am aware of. Pop up dots, and a punch I really love is the one that cuts out co-ordinating photo tabs to match your own background papers. Good luck, how exciting. Carolyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 04:44 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

I'm thinking of opening a craft store in my community ( a year or more from now). This thread is providing lots of food for thought. Thank You AshleyAnne for posting!

Annette
http://stamponthis.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 06:54 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

I also think your friend needs to stock some sort of die-cutting machine with alphabets as the titling and journalling are the important parts of a page, after the photos.
The only piece of advice I have is do your research. Check what the big online stores have. Visit any stamping/scrapbooking stores even if you have to travel, because sometimes the ambience of your store can be as important as what you sell.
Look at what you think works and what doesn't in those stores.
If you are in a tourist area maybe look at stocking travel/vacation embellishments and papers. If your customers are anything like me they love gadgets and new gadgets at that. I will spend a fortune on any newfangled gadget, just because I have to have it.
Eyelets, setters, brads, ribbons, stickers, rub-ons, paper, albums, embellishments are all must-haves. Scrapbookers also like storage, 12 x 12 boxes and totes.
Finally, I really think your friend should get into scrapbooking if she intends to sell the stuff. I will always buy more from someone who knows her stuff, she has to have a passion for it and down the line people will ask for classes, so she will have to teach it or pay someone to teach it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 07:17 AM   #20  
Forum Fanatic

Also organziation options. Check out www.allmymemories.com then type in uptown chic. There are alot of cute totes and storage options in pinks, greens, blues, and browns.. I love them. For people with shops can buy display boards as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 07:27 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Check scrapstop.com. They do a lot of their business online, but they have storefront in Round Rock, outside of Austin. For such a small store, they pack it in.
Reply With Quote Likes