Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-09-2006, 03:16 AM   #41  
Pearl-ExPert

I try to post very detailed information about the cards that I upload, but I never duplicate the information in the keyword space. I will only put words like 'lighthouse' or 'masculine' if it doesn't appear anywhere in the card description. The advanced search option will pull up any card as long as the words appear somewhere in the description.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-09-2006, 03:18 AM   #42  
Pearl-ExPert

Sorry about the large font! My computer must be doing something wonky, because I have the font size at 1!![IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-09-2006, 03:40 AM   #43  
Stampin' Fool

On the keywords, I always enter the names of the stamps in the Stamps section to allow for searches - and it PEEVES me when people don't - especially for BG and secondary stamp sets. How can I find examples of Word Search if it's loaded in the Loads of Love gallery because of the main image and the stamp set isn't listed. Personally, given that this site is supposed to be for creative inspiration I consider it a bit rude if I don't fill it out.

To Happy Heart - actually on my PC your font is REALLY tiny!

Old 09-09-2006, 04:30 AM   #44  
Stazon Splitcoast

I do appreciate all the info that a poster can give. There have also been some previous discussions on similar topics, and I understand that for some the added topic is physically difficult - it would be our loss if they did not continue to post anyway. That being said, I agree that for most of us, typing in that additional bit of information would not take long and would be helpful.

To go off topic a bit, I have noticed that several of us are writing more in the comment section. That is especially helpful, although I imagine it does not show up on searches, which is what GarnetJ was addressing originally.

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Old 09-09-2006, 04:48 AM   #45  
Stampin' Fool

Yes, the more info the better! Please!!!! I'm more likely to check out a card w/details. That's just me though....
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2006, 05:07 AM   #46  
Stazon Splitcoast

I generally leave the "keywords" blank, b/c I fill in the rest of the information...only if it's a special card, like "masculine", "baby", or something like that...then, that is what I put in the keywords section...otherwise, it's left blank.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:24 AM   #47  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Oil...Hot Pan...Gordon Ramsay sexiest man alive...Done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by emilymomto3boys
huh...unless it is a challenge, I never put anything in the keywords. I figure if you wanna see loads of love cards you'll go to the loads of love gallery, right?
This is how I do it, too.

Old 09-09-2006, 05:39 AM   #48  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSmithRanch
I haven't uploaded anything yet. I don't even know how to load an image.
Technochallenged.
I with you on that one. I'm reading this thread thinking it would help me, but I'm more confused than ever. Someday I figure this out, or I'll let my computer wiz son do it for me. So far I had my hubby put all my pictures of my cards on the computer and do something to make them the right size. He then old me I need to go in and name them. Um, what? So no uploads, for now. I always wonder how so many of you know how to do all this, and for that matter how you understand it. Sometimes I feel like people are speaking in a different language... computer jibber! Anyway, I'm not going to give up..... someday I'll have a gallery!
Dina
Old 09-09-2006, 05:44 AM   #49  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Challenge Hostess

This is My Story.

Default GarnetJ:

Aside from those all those other descriptions, the "Keyword" is not just a listing. Your keywords become clickable links. So if I want to see a bunch of cards with lighthouses, I can click on the keyword "lighthouse" under my own card and the search engine brings up all the other lighthouse pics in the entire gallery -- the ones that have it in the keyword.[/QUOTE]

I will start putting something in the keywords section so that it makes it easier on other stampers although I just loaded a card before I came back to this thread and I didn't...Sorry.

If I too referred to myself as a loser for not doing everthing the right way, would you visit my gallery and reassure me that I am not a loser??? LOL

I do understand your point!
Old 09-09-2006, 06:18 AM   #50  
Gallery Gazer

I guess I don't understand why you wouldn't put anything there. I mean really it's just a matter of copying and pasting. If I list my stamp sets in the keywords section (seperated with commas!) then I copy and paste that list and add it to the stamp section. No big deal. Then I go back and add things like Halloween, Christmas, Masculine, Lighthouse, Challenge #, and/or technique name. It really only takes an extra second and it'll help more people find your card which means MORE COMMENTS and we all love comments so why not make it easier to get them???
Old 09-09-2006, 07:15 AM   #51  
Stampin' Fool

ack! I'm guilty of this, but I thought it was only for challenge ids or techniques you've used. I didn't realized I should put in so much detail, kinda thought if I loaded up the "recipe" section it all fell into place but now I understand why it's important regarding searches.
But I can redeem myself! I was playing around w/ the edit photo options and you can go back in and update the keywords. Pretty quick to do if you hv a small gallery like me!
Thanks for bringing this to my attn!
Old 09-09-2006, 07:29 AM   #52  
Forum Fanatic

Wink

That was my question, can we go back and edit? Just don't want to delete the who thing....
Old 09-09-2006, 07:40 AM   #53  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess & DSS Moderator

I only enter in challenge codes in my keywords box. Maybe I'll try adding a few more descriptors.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:57 AM   #54  
Stazon Splitcoast

We don't need the stamp sets in the keywords!!!

I just did a search for Bud Basics and a card that I posted on 08/25/06 showed up in the search...with no keywords!

Just like if you do a search for cool carribean, it will bring up all the cards made with that color listed for ink or paper.

For challenges and cards for certain occassions, keywords are great...but we don't have to list stamps, accessories, or colors in the keywords.

Old 09-09-2006, 08:11 AM   #55  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmferg
That's right. As long as you have the information somewhere in the description section or the "additional information" section, a search will find it.

Linda

My Gallery
Old 09-09-2006, 08:16 AM   #56  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

My first thought if I want to look for a "Loads of Love" set is to go to the gallery and click on "Loads of Love". That is the only way I knew how to find those cards. I got really frustrated when a card I had seen just days before wouldn't be in that gallery. I figured that something messed up, or that it was put in the wrong gallery and that I would never find it again. (how many times are you browsing galleries for a particular set and find cards that were placed in there in error? I find LOTS!) When I learned to use the "my favorites" at least I had a chance to find it again!

So now I have learned I can also search by using the topmost search button in the galleries...an advanced search, of a sort...and I get more choices. In the Search mode you can specify (to an extent) what fields you want to search. Included in this the results of this type of search will be the scrapbook pages, the anything but a card, cards that only appear in a member's gallery but not in the stamp set gallery (yes, that does happen), and cards using the set, but filed in another set, because that was the one that was "primary" in the design.

As an example, today there are 2050 cards in "loads of love". If you search for "loads of love" you get 2695 hits.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:18 AM   #57  
Hardware Hotshot

This has probably already been said many ways, but I think there was a thread a while back ago that said something to the effect that stamp sets do not need to go under keywords as long as you save it to a particular set gallery. (Per a mod) I *believe* keywords are for challenges and supplemental items.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:19 AM   #58  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

For challenges and cards for certain occassions, keywords are great...but we don't have to list stamps, accessories, or colors in the keywords.
As long as you put the stamp sets, accessories, and colors in the description!!!! LOL!

The only time I don't put as much information in the description area is if I am posting something I have received and don't know the info....
all I am is Yours.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:37 AM   #59  
Forum Fanatic

Wink

I think what they mean by KEYWORDS are words to categorize the card. Like Halloween, Holiday, Fall, Wedding, ....a word a person looking for a type of card, not by stamp set, can use, to look up related cards.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:05 AM   #60  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Heart
Sorry about the large font! My computer must be doing something wonky, because I have the font size at 1!!
Your font is quite small; to read your post I had to enlarge the font on my screen to the point that all the other posts on the page had massive font sizes. If you just leave your font size to the default setting, they will show up in a readable size and if that default size is too big or small folks can set their browser to show at a size they prefer.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:08 AM   #61  
Polyshrink Goddess

oh, my! Thank you, garnetJ! I didn't even know what that keyword section was for! I always put in the stamp set I used and the colors and ink and embelishments on the prompting lines, but I thought keywords were only for when you were uploading a card for a challenge. I will do better now--thanks for pointing it out!
Old 09-09-2006, 09:14 AM   #62  
Pearl-ExPert

Where in the gallery do you find the cards not labeded with a set etc.? I saw an adorable card I wanted to case and have not been able to find it looking under the sets it used. I'd love to see this one again
Old 09-09-2006, 09:41 AM   #63  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetJ
I am appalled, thunderstruck, dismayed, stunned and dumbfounded!!!! Just went searching for a particular set in the gallery and found that there are a *lot* of cards with no keywords!!!! None!! Nada!! I will not disclose the names of the culprits. You know who you are and so do I, but your secret is safe with me..... at least for awhile.
What's a keyword??? It's a word you can click and the search engine finds every photo with that same keyword. It's really, really helpful.
Please, when you upload a card, be sure to put the names of all the stamp sets used into the keyword section. This is especially important when.....
...you use more than one set
...you upload to a special gallery (like ATCs or techniques).

All of us who browse the galleries will thank you.... well, not personally, but you know what I mean.

Thanks for posting this. I too find it hard to find things in the gallery, Because of the lack "Keywords".

And for some that just place their photos in the gallery and add nothing more to it.

It would be nice to know which stamp set's they used and embellishments as well.

Again thanks for posting!!!!
Old 09-09-2006, 09:47 AM   #64  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

I just did a search for Bud Basics and a card that I posted on 08/25/06 showed up in the search...with no keywords!

Just like if you do a search for cool carribean, it will bring up all the cards made with that color listed for ink or paper.

Thanks Mandy! I'm good then. So mine aren't clickable, that's ok. I fill out all the other info, even ALL the accessories I use cause nothing is worse than wanting to case a card and not knowing what colors they used. Everyone's screen colors are a little different and it's hard to tell online sometimes.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:56 AM   #65  
Creative Director - My Favorite Things
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I tested this theory today and must say that you do not need to put the stamp set in the keywords. I went to the gallery main page and in the the little box to the right "search" I typed the word "starving" which I knew I had uploaded cards using this word, but NOT in the keyword section. I clicked search and tada... a bunch of cards came up that had used starving artist stamps in the search. I didn't click on every one, but none that I saw had it in the keywords, just the stamp set area.

results for the search: http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...mit=&x=12&y=10

Then... I used "weathered". I chose that since it's a BG and most people wouldn't upload into that category. Again, tada... mega cards without using the word weathered in keyowrds popped up.

like this one: http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...6&si=weathered

There are 58 pages of cards made with weathered. Here is what the search came up with for weathered:

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...imit=&x=11&y=5

Then, Penny black. 17 pages of Penny Black cards that don't seem to use it in the keyword section.

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...y+black&limit=

So.... if you are looking for cards with a specific stamp set and/or company, just type those words (or choose one "key" word such as Penny for Penny Black or Starving for Starving artist) and a whole bunch of cards will pop up. It seems that if you mention the stamp, company, challenge or whatever else in your description anywhere... it will pop up on the search results, simply by clicking search. Hope that helps.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:00 AM   #66  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by emilymomto3boys
I fill out all the other info, even ALL the accessories I use cause nothing is worse than wanting to case a card and not knowing what colors they used. Everyone's screen colors are a little different and it's hard to tell online sometimes.
Amen to that! The only thing just as bad is not being able to find a card because there is absolutely no information on it to even catch it in a search!
I will start using different types of keywords...like "masculine" and "fathers day" and "christmas" as well as "...VSN..." and "CC..." etc!
all I am is Yours.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:48 AM   #67  

Default It's geek to me

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel
I'm a dinosaur (I'd rather be a din-o-sour -- they're yummers!). I was larfing and girning on a VM message board in university long before SCS was a twinkle in Daven's eye (they have eyedrops for that now, I think). No mouse -- it was all in the keystrokes! Appending/posting the string "PF2" was a major insult as that was the function key you hit when you wanted to leave a discussion/thread and block it from the refresh list. Crazy times!
She talking geek and I can't even figure out how to edit mine to add the info!
My Facebook Page
Old 09-09-2006, 11:22 AM   #68  

Default Cindy your's is beautiful too

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mothermark
If I too referred to myself as a loser for not doing everthing the right way, would you visit my gallery and reassure me that I am not a loser???
Yes, your stuff is great too. I can never figure out whether I should check out people's galleries or kept chatting.
My Facebook Page
Old 09-09-2006, 11:56 AM   #69  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasjodylynn
I tested this theory today and must say that you do not need to put the stamp set in the keywords. I went to the gallery main page and in the the little box to the right "search" I typed the word "starving" which I knew I had uploaded cards using this word, but NOT in the keyword section. I clicked search and tada... a bunch of cards came up that had used starving artist stamps in the search. I didn't click on every one, but none that I saw had it in the keywords, just the stamp set area.

results for the search: //www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showgallery.php?si=starving&limit=&x=12&y=10

Then... I used "weathered". I chose that since it's a BG and most people wouldn't upload into that category. Again, tada... mega cards without using the word weathered in keyowrds popped up.

like this one: //www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=361826&si=weathered

There are 58 pages of cards made with weathered. Here is what the search came up with for weathered:

//www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showgallery.php?si=weathered&limit=&x=11&y=5

Then, Penny black. 17 pages of Penny Black cards that don't seem to use it in the keyword section.

//www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showgallery.php?si=penny+black&limit=

So.... if you are looking for cards with a specific stamp set and/or company, just type those words (or choose one "key" word such as Penny for Penny Black or Starving for Starving artist) and a whole bunch of cards will pop up. It seems that if you mention the stamp, company, challenge or whatever else in your description anywhere... it will pop up on the search results, simply by clicking search. Hope that helps.
This is how I found that adorable pregnant lady Michael's $1 stamp. This forum has an awesome search capability. You can even make up words, or abbreviate them, and as long as they are typed *somewhere* on the screen, your search will produce what you are looking for.

HTH.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:56 AM   #70  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

I shouldn't speak for Garnet, but I think the point she's trying to make may be more in tune with uploaders supplying SOME kind of info in some way.

Some folks upload the image, but no other info at all. This does impede the ability to somehow find any given designs within searchable parameters, if they are no words at all to input into the search engine.

I'll admit that I'm one of those guilty of not filling in the little boxes in every upload.

I frequently upload designs here that I've already uploaded at my blog. In order to alleviate the tendonitis my good stampin' arm suffers from, and which can become seriously aggravated from keyboard work (which I do a LOT of on a daily basis), I will copy the pertinent info from my blog and paste it into the photo description box under the photo, and then I'll skip the boxes. Just makes my life easier, and helps reduce uploading time.

I haven't tested it, but I've always assumed that as long as the data is input somewhere, the title, the data boxes or the photo description, the sample should turn up in a search.

Guess I should go test my assumption . . . chuckle!
Old 09-09-2006, 12:04 PM   #71  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51
I got really frustrated when a card I had seen just days before wouldn't be in that gallery. I figured that something messed up, or that it was put in the wrong gallery and that I would never find it again. (how many times are you browsing galleries for a particular set and find cards that were placed in there in error? I find LOTS!) When I learned to use the "my favorites" at least I had a chance to find it again!
\

There's also a chance that the card you had seen earlier was deleted in the scan for duplicates because the person forgot to change the filename to something unique before uploading. Even though Jenn posted a sticky full of instructions and tips for the gallery, many people still leave the filename as a generic combo of numbers and letters assigned by the camera or scanner and then post threads wondering what happened to their images!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 09-09-2006, 12:43 PM   #72  

Now I have a gallery and I put in KEYWORDS. My RR was on the fritz for the past week and I just got ot fixed. I had tried unsuccessfully to upload this MANY, MANY times and a couple of times one went thru, but now you can see the rest of the story!!!!
My Facebook Page
Old 09-09-2006, 12:49 PM   #73  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by diane617
She talking geek and I can't even figure out how to edit mine to add the info!
That's all right, dear....we'll be ninnies together I guess!
Old 09-09-2006, 01:19 PM   #74  

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ
Thanks Betsy
My Facebook Page
Old 09-09-2006, 01:56 PM   #75  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ
Me too!!!

Sigh. My family calls me "The Neanderthal" at the computer......

Thank God for teenagers to help me! LOL

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Old 09-09-2006, 03:17 PM   #76  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mothermark
In my case, when I make a card, I just make a card with what I have available to use. I am not using SU products because I have only recently (for about a year) been a SU customer. I sold another line of stamps for many years and all of my ink pads, reinkers, card stock, etc. I don't feel is familar to the majority of the people on this website. Maybe my impression is wrong, but I get a very strong feeling that this is an SU website. When I post colors of ink, paper, and etc., I don't feel like it means much to others here. As far as listing the embellishments, I don't know.... I guess I have always felt that when you see a brad, a button, a piece of ribbon, a charm, you see it...why do you have to be told that it is there? Techniques...I am not a real technical stamper. I am not familiar with alot of the techniques but when I see something that I would like to try, I know I can find a tutorial on it. I don't list techniques simply because most of the time I am simply just stamping. If I were one of the very very talented stampers on this website whose cards are anticipated, reviewed, and held to the highest regard, or an SU demo that uses this sight possibly as a teaching tool to their downline, then maybe then I would feel more obligated to post all of the details, colors or etcetera. I am fairly new to this sight (since April) and I guess I didn't realize it was so offensive not to post the details. Whenever anyone has sent me a pm to ask about something on one of my cards, I have responded quickly and have been as helpful as I can truly be.
Well as many know I use TAC stamps and supplies, I try to add the name of the stamp set that I use along with the embellishments names and inks that I use.
Just as I do when I upload SU card that I made.
I have few stamp sets of SU and as well as other stamp sets.

It's always nice to know what stamps and supplies you using.
Keywords are super!
Old 09-09-2006, 04:04 PM   #77  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51
So now I have learned I can also search by using the topmost search button in the galleries...an advanced search, of a sort...and I get more choices. In the Search mode you can specify (to an extent) what fields you want to search. Included in this the results of this type of search will be the scrapbook pages, the anything but a card, cards that only appear in a member's gallery but not in the stamp set gallery (yes, that does happen), and cards using the set, but filed in another set, because that was the one that was "primary" in the design.

As an example, today there are 2050 cards in "loads of love". If you search for "loads of love" you get 2695 hits.
You said what I was going to say.

I just want to add that when you use the search engine, the set or word you're searching does NOT have to be in the keyword box. It just needs to be somewhere in the description or comments.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:06 PM   #78  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedgiemama
I think what they mean by KEYWORDS are words to categorize the card. Like Halloween, Holiday, Fall, Wedding, ....a word a person looking for a type of card, not by stamp set, can use, to look up related cards.
That's what I do!
Old 09-09-2006, 04:14 PM   #79  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetJ
I am appalled, thunderstruck, dismayed, stunned and dumbfounded!!!! Just went searching for a particular set in the gallery and found that there are a *lot* of cards with no keywords!!!! None!! Nada!! I will not disclose the names of the culprits. You know who you are and so do I, but your secret is safe with me..... at least for awhile.
What's a keyword??? It's a word you can click and the search engine finds every photo with that same keyword. It's really, really helpful.
Please, when you upload a card, be sure to put the names of all the stamp sets used into the keyword section. This is especially important when.....
...you use more than one set
...you upload to a special gallery (like ATCs or techniques).

All of us who browse the galleries will thank you.... well, not personally, but you know what I mean.
Why do you need to put the stamp set names in keywords if it's already under stamp sets? It's still comes up in searches as long as it's in the description some where. No need to be appalled. I go through the effort of including descriptions and they are searchable. No need for redundancy.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:18 PM   #80  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Ok- guilty here! However, I always had the same mindset as Emily- wanna see loads of love, go to that gallery.
I always thought that the keywords were meant for something along the lines as "challenges" or "techniques. Good feedback to read from everyone....

Spellbinders DT Coordinator