Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-05-2008, 03:14 PM   #41  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stay away from things that make me create a "random pattern"...I stink at "random"...I also do not like stick type images.....I like to color so I want something with meat on its bones and space to layer colors ;)

Stamp S'More

Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2008, 07:20 PM   #42  
Rubber Obsessor

I love challenges and Outlines, Thomas Kinkade and Woodlands are sure challenges. I only have 1 Thomas Kinkade stamp and haven't used it yet, but I have used a lot of the others. If you go to my gallery you can see how I used 1 large outlines stamp to create 3 different cards

TA
http://carbonescorner.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2008, 07:39 AM   #43  
Stampin' Fool

Ditto.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoosekrazyView Post
I stay far away from the Thomas Kincaid stamps at Cornish Farms!!!!!! Never would I be able to do them justice!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2008, 10:01 AM   #44  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClownmomView Post
This thread convinced me that I needed to pull out that Thomas Kinkade stamp. Here's the result of my first attempt -- My First Thomas Kinkade by Clownmom at Splitcoaststampers I still need lots of practice, but I think now I'm not quite as intimidated. There may be more TK in my future. LOL!

I guess the moral is: just jump right in and give it a go!
I think you did a great job!

Sherry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2008, 10:05 AM   #45  
Watercolor Wizard

Thomas Kincaid, Stampscapes, other than that I love to color, I am a pencil and gamsol gal, but these two I know I could do them no justice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2008, 10:15 AM   #46  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

{Quote: I love to color with watercolor pencils and crayons and would like to try the gamasol technique but I have had no luck finding gamasol. Where can I purchase? Is it marketed under a different name?}

Another name is Odorless Mineral Spirits (artist grade- has lots less odor). Michaels has gamsol in the art section. You can order OMS from Gina K. Designs and several other online companies - just can't remember which ones right now.

Last edited by Karen3000; 07-07-2008 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: add quote
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 05:17 AM   #47  
Gallery Gazer

I love coloring large line image stamps... in fact, that's what I've been buying lately. Coloring is like therapy for me I've been staying away from solid stamps simply because I can't color them! LOL

I don't know if anyone would be interested, but in my last card with In the Garden, I included instructions for my coloring: Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 05:32 AM   #48  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by arinstampsView Post
I love coloring large line image stamps... in fact, that's what I've been buying lately. Coloring is like therapy for me I've been staying away from solid stamps simply because I can't color them! LOL

I don't know if anyone would be interested, but in my last card with In the Garden, I included instructions for my coloring: Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Your card is very pretty!

And I'm the same way - I find solid stamps challenging, just because I can't color them!

But honesty..... there are not too many stamps I wouldn't love to give a home.... :rolleyes:

My site: Paper Garden Projects
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 06:16 AM   #49  
Die Cut Diva

Ladies.....An alternative to coloring in the stamp if you feel uncomfortable would be to color the background instead. That can give a really neat effect to the stamp rather than coloring it in.

For instance.....I've seen many of the Thomas Kincade stamps where people have tried to color them in. In my opinion, some are alright, but most would be best left just stamped and embossed in black, brown or sepia, I feel. I've seen some where the background is colored instead, usually using a brayer. Those look great, again in my opinion. You have to remember these designs are simulating paintings by an accomplished artist, there is no way most people could do it justice with pencils on a small piece of paper.

Coloring in a large stamp as shown in post #1 would be very easy to do as it has large spaces so it's easy to stay within the lines. Smaller spaces are much more of a challenge and truly impossible to work with perfectly, I feel.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 09:40 AM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hello! Don't be daunted by these beautiful outline stamps! I wanted to say that there are lots of alternative ways to *color* an image without taking a ton of time, not to mention patience! Just have a look at this week's TLC here on splitcoast for a great example of this.

If you're interested I have posted a card I made a while back that is simply colored too and there's details on my blog as well.

The Joy in Us by moonrise at Splitcoaststampers
Old 07-09-2008, 10:08 AM   #51  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by tachris100View Post
I love challenges and Outlines, Thomas Kinkade and Woodlands are sure challenges. I only have 1 Thomas Kinkade stamp and haven't used it yet, but I have used a lot of the others. If you go to my gallery you can see how I used 1 large outlines stamp to create 3 different cards

TA
http://carbonescorner.blogspot.com
I dare you to make at least ONE card with your Kinkade stamp. Just pick a color and make a monochromatic card with that. Look through my gallery - I might have colored only ONE OR TWO Kinkade cards. All the rest are just one color. Try it - you'll love it!!!

Hint #1 - brayer the color on your Kinkade stamps. It makes for much better and more even inking/stamping of your image. Just roll your brayer in your ink pad, and ink up your stamp with the inky brayer. Then turn your stamp over and stamp on your cardstock.

Hint #2 - the Kinkade images look much better if you stamp on a SMOOTH cardstock. You can use SU's Whisper White, Very Vanilla, or Prism's Smooth White cardstock.

Now to bring this back on topic - I stay away from anything that calls for sewing. I do NOT sew. In fact, my hubby does what little sewing we need in this household. LOL

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 02:17 PM   #52  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

I don't like cutsie stamps (like a Precious Moments look) or overly artsy-fartsy stamps.
Stamp shows have wonderful samples of these kind of images but they just aren't me.
And PUNS (like a chicken + egg + "You're Egg-citing"). I just cringe.
Apparently I have no funny bone (nor taste sometimes). :-)
Thankfully there are MILLIONS of images and types and ways to do things!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 05:36 AM   #53  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer coloring large outline stamps instead of smaller, more intricate stamps. Why? For me they are easier to color. Especially with copics or Watercoloring. You actually have 'room' to move color around and blend. With smaller stamps, the space is so tiny its difficult to fit more than one color in a space. Thats when I find colored pencils easier cause you fit the fine tip of the pencil in the space and then what I do is just simply apply more pressure where I want a darker shade and ease up on the pressure where I want a lighter shade. Even though I do use gamosol, most of the time you don't need it if you follow this technque.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 06:41 PM   #54  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by arinstampsView Post

Holy Cow! That is amazing!! Wish I had your eye for light and color!:mrgreen:

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2008, 05:33 AM   #55  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
An innocent invitation to a Stampin' Up! party back in 1994 introduced me to stamping (I say introduced because that party was the gateway event to a full addiction). I was interested because I had tried a few art classes and I don't draw well, but I do like the paints. Stamping was a way to color without having to draw.

A few tricks I've learned along the way are color wheels. SU used to sell one (I don't know if they still do), you can also find color wheels in art stores or even quilt stores. Color wheels are not "rules" so much as inspiration for colors that can work together.

Buying sets of colors. Like a pan of watercolor paints, a set of markers in a color family, these will help you learn complimentary color combos. Images look more "like art" if you use more than one color, either through the light to dark of a color or blending different colors. Watch for shadows and light direction. I didn't have a lot of money when I started painting and learning to stamp so I read a lot of how to paint books from the library. There are some great books on colors, blending, shading and shadow, all these techniques are about "coloring" so they apply to all forms of art.

Practice, practice, practice. This is how you get better at coloring. When I'm working on coloring in an image I stamp 5 or 6 more than I need for what I'm working on. That way if I don't get the image inked and stamped right I have back up. I save these not so well stamped images for coloring. Which red pencil for that rose, I'll pick up the pencils and scibble on the scap image and see which red works. Then I'll color the "good" image, next pick up a few greens, see which ones work on the leaf on the scap image, and then go to the "good" image. I'm always working with a scrap piece of paper and putting color swatches on the paper, sort of like a pallette. Even when using chalks or markers, I always test.

For really detailed images, like scenes, I'll just use watercolor paint or chalks and color the paper first. Sort of like blotches of color, and then using a black in stamp the image over the scene. This adds color, keeps the inked image bright (coloring over the image does dull the unembossed ink), and you don't have to worry about tedious coloring. Also, you can leave light or white spots in you painting, the eye fills in what's not on the paper/canvas. This will add depth and movement too.

I mostly use the Wal Mart white cardstock. It holds up well, and takes color well.

Okay, this has gotten too long. Just practice and have fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 10:33 AM   #56  
Rubber Obsessor

Not sure if anyone will agree with me, but I just tried my hand at watercoloring a large-lined image and I'm really happy with the way it came out. I used the glossy cardstock, stamped the image with the black Stazon and then used my blender pens with the ink pads. Sooo easy and this cardstock is so forgiving.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 11:56 PM   #57  
Rubber Obsessor

Really there are so many ways to add colour to a stamp, there is bound to be a technique to suit everyone. One very easy way I find is to use watercolour crayons (like Neocolours). I take a line image and draw an inner line on each section, take a moistened brush and pull the colour in. It is just so easy and effective.

Another effective techniqe I use has also been showcased on this week's tutorials. This would work very well on detailed scenes like the Kincade stamps. I stamp the image in a dye/water soluble ink and then brush over certain areas and details with a moist paintbrush to move the ink around a little. I always think they look like 18th century prints and are very effective if you use sepia coloured inks. They are great for getting 'aged' looks. They don't just have to be used for scenes. I have added depth and detail to stuff like Christmas wreaths and bows. You need a line image with a bit of white space in it within which to pull the ink into. Try it, it is great fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2008, 04:44 AM   #58  
Swapper of the Month January 2012

I love the large outline stamps. I can handle those. It's the ones where shading is needed that scares me!!

Goals for 2015 50 scrapbook pages/50 cards---progress 35/50 cards
Complete my daughter's wedding scrapbook album
Spend more time enjoying my friends and not so much time obsessing on work!!!
Reply With Quote Likes