Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-21-2006, 12:37 PM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just curious about stamps sold on e-bay

I've been looking on E-Bay at some Stampin Up stamps that people are selling and I noticed one thing. There is some items available from the spring 2006 mini catalog that I have not yet been able to order from that is for sale. That in and of itself is not too odd. What is odd is that there are some sets for sale that are "unmarked". No stampin' up label or anything. Why? Is it not something that is supposed to be sold or what?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2006, 12:41 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

My guess is that they are new and unmounted so you would not necessarily see a little name sticker on the plastic box. Probably a demo that placed an advanced order to sell on 'bay!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2006, 01:07 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

If the description for the stamp set says "UM", it means unmounted. I have bought and sold new unused sets on ebay. I agree with basurok in that if it is unmounted the label has not been put on the case.

See what I've been up to

Wohoo, Finally a Stampin' Up Demonstrator!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2006, 02:05 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

After talking to my demo I have vowed to never buy new sets off Ebay again. Apparently it is illegal to keep an inventory under SU rules. Kind of like buying a Rolex out of the back of a van! I love the "deals," but ethically it is just not worth it to me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2006, 02:14 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzy
After talking to my demo I have vowed to never buy new sets off Ebay again. Apparently it is illegal to keep an inventory under SU rules. Kind of like buying a Rolex out of the back of a van! I love the "deals," but ethically it is just not worth it to me!
I'm assuming you are a demo? I don't think the OP'er is... I am not either, and I say VIVA LA EBAY! I find nothing unethical about purchasing my stamps there, and it isn't even remotely the same as buying a Rolex out of the back of a van because it is very easy to tell that the products are true SU! items - not knock offs with a name like "Snapin' Up!". Lol!

To each thier own though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2006, 02:18 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Just keep in mind that if there is anything wrong with the product, you have no recourse through Stampin' Up!. SU will replace or exchange any item if purchased through a demonstrator, but not if it was bought on ebay.

If you purchase enough, you are also forgoing possible hostess benefits and any other specials your demo might offer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2006, 02:39 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

So far my main use of eBay has been to create a long SU wish list! I like how it is very easy to see the stamp set contents on the auction site. the online SU catalogue is a little clunky and hard to see for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2006, 02:48 PM   #8  

Well, I tried to find the listing again but can't. Anyways, I understand what unmounted is and not having the stickers attached to the box, and those weren't the case in this instance. The listing had said something about there not being any copyright imaging on the labels provided. Maybe they scanned an image to create a new sticker? ... I don't know. It sounded a little sketchy to me.
As for buying on E-Bay, I have no problem buying used stamp sets that way. However, I don't think it's fair to buy new that way. Kind of undermines the whole demonstrater program. I enjoy having a demonstrator show me different things ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2006, 03:05 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Current stamp sales are "illegal". ( Any set that is in the current 2005-2006 IB &C and any current mini catalog.)

When a demo signs their agreement, they agree that they will not sell current merchandise on ANY internet auction site. If they do sell and are found out, they lose their demonstrator status and will never be able to sign up as a demo again.

The Spring 2006 sets that are being sold, are then being sold illegally. ( As only a DEMO can pre-order the sets before March 1st).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2006, 03:30 PM   #10  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to clarify ( I think ) it's not ILLEGAL to purchase sets on eBay, but it IS against the demonstrators contract to sell current sets on eBay.

I have bought sets on eBay, however, I prefer to purchase from my demo. For one, the new UM sets that I might wait a month for from my demo are NOT cheaper on eBay... if you figure in the shipping costs, you usually would pay more. And, I've said it before, I like to support my demo's business!

But, I also understand the situation some buyers are in - maybe they can't find a demo, or maybe they don't know about demos...

my PunchPal Too | my SU! Inventory File | my Tickets Too: shown on my website
my free downloadable calendar templates here
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2006, 03:58 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Just to clear my statement, I am not a demo. Hope to be someday. I do buy sets on ebay that are retired and no longer available from SU. I have sold my own sets that I have received as hostess sets and have not used. I buy all my current (in the catalog) sets from my demo. She loves me cause I give her BIG orders all the time!!!!

See what I've been up to

Wohoo, Finally a Stampin' Up Demonstrator!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2006, 04:26 PM   #12  
mothermcbride

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat
Just to clarify ( I think ) it's not ILLEGAL to purchase sets on eBay, but it IS against the demonstrators contract to sell current sets on eBay.

It's not illegal but it is unethical for demos to sell new sets on ebay. And, only demonstrators can get the Spring sets right now so, the seller is either a demo or in cahoots with one.

And, I would like to second that in general, buyers do not get any a deal by buying new sets on ebay. Find a friendly demonstrator. You'll get much more than a stamp set in return.

ETA: Hey, I was just thinking as I posted to a similar thread, no one on ebay is going to offer your hostess benefits either.

Last edited by mothermcbride; 02-21-2006 at 04:35 PM..

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2006, 04:42 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

[QUOTE=mothermcbride]It's not illegal but it is unethical

Sorry, but this is what I meant to say. On cold meds and couldn't think of the right word so I just put the quotations around the "I" word.
Kim Bouma #66907
Proud NAVY Family!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2006, 04:52 PM   #14  
The Digi-Freak

It is not illegal for a non-demo to sell sets, though, just making sure everyone gets that

I'm not a demo, therefore if I sell any set under the sun, it is legal.

However, as a non-demo, I don't have any of the spring mini sets, so I wouldn't be able to sell them yet.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2006, 05:00 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sairabee
I'm assuming you are a demo? I don't think the OP'er is... I am not either, and I say VIVA LA EBAY! I find nothing unethical about purchasing my stamps there, and it isn't even remotely the same as buying a Rolex out of the back of a van because it is very easy to tell that the products are true SU! items - not knock offs with a name like "Snapin' Up!". Lol!

To each thier own though!
I know you probably don't mean to, but it hurts your demo and all of the rest of us who endeavor to follow the rules when you purchase current merchandise on eBay from sellers who are demos or are supplied by one. I know that not all of the people doing this are demos, but I'll bet that quite a few are!

I confess that I did buy my Classic Alphabet and Classic Numbers sets new and unmounted from eBay back when I was a customer, but after I found out that some sellers were demonstrators selling online in violation of their agreements I quit bidding on current stamps and only bid on retired items. Just couldn't do that to my fabulous demonstrator!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2006, 05:04 PM   #16  
The Digi-Freak

But sometimes current stamps are listed by people (like me!) who just are "done" with them.

I do trade sometimes, but honestly, I usually get a better money value by selling the set on ebay and buying exactly what I want.

I say buy, but keep an eye on the seller and if they're ALWAYS selling new unmounted, 15 sets a week or something... that's fishy....

if they sell 10 sets a year and some are new and some aren't, it is probably a joe schmoe like me!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2006, 06:23 PM   #17  

What is an "OP-er"?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2006, 06:27 PM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

I agree with mamak . . . I definitely sell some of my sets (before I was a demo, only retired ones whille I was a demo, and any now that I am not a demo) when I am done with them. I try to trade too, but if I have no offers I may as well try to get something. I used to buy on ebay too, I didn't realize it hurt my demo at the time, but I also thought you had to have a "party" to place an order way back when, so I thought it was a good way to go. Every once in a while I will find a good deal on ebay or a retired set I have been wanting, but being an educated consumer is important.
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2006, 06:28 PM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by prchvs
What is an "OP-er"?
The original poster . . . . the one who started this thread.
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2006, 06:35 PM   #20  

ahhh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2006, 07:32 PM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

I've picked up some retired sets that I really wanted, but as posted earlier, you need to be an informed buyer. AND--don't forget to check the seller's
feedback ratings! I just had a not-too-smooth transaction with a seller, and had forgottten to check feedback. Luckily, I did receive the items before she was suspended from ebay, likely from multiple complaints from buyers. Always buy from your demo, whenever possible!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2006, 05:50 AM   #22  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtstampz
I've picked up some retired sets that I really wanted, but as posted earlier, you need to be an informed buyer. AND--don't forget to check the seller's feedback ratings!

VERY smart advice on any eBay purchase!

my PunchPal Too | my SU! Inventory File | my Tickets Too: shown on my website
my free downloadable calendar templates here
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2006, 07:13 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

I have bought several retired sets on ebay that I can't get from my demo. I have also bought SAB sets and paid way less than the $50 bucks I would have to spend to get one through my demo when I don't have the 50 bucks to spend. My demo still gets plenty of business from me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2006, 07:38 AM   #24  
Crimping Master

I purchase sets on ebay all the time... but of course watch the prices... I wont pay more then want is offered in Catty if it is current. And hey if I do get it for the same price as in catty it's still cheeper because I only pay shipping and not tax. I also sell on ebay and well have gotten some nice money for those long saught after retired stamps. Sometimes when you look for retired sets... my demo's can no longer get, it's great to resort to ebay. I have made some great deals there.

As for cheating my demo... believe me she gets alot from me... every month at workshops I pay her her fee and also order something from her. Soooo...

As for saying Demo's I have 3!!! They are all good friends so I buy from all of them at certain times. Like SAB that is my biggest spending time... I wanted 4 sets so each one got an order from me over $50 and as for the last set I want... I'll just borrow from someone.
Reply With Quote Likes