Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-07-2008, 11:25 AM   #401  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Hanukah cards....

I just posted two Hanukah cards in my gallery; I'm loving the silver EP. Enjoy!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2008, 11:30 AM   #402  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are beautiful! I love the silver EP too!

Yapha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2008, 12:09 PM   #403  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ok, here's card #2. I tried to make it SUO, but just couldn't do it. Almost though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2008, 02:43 PM   #404  
Die Cut Diva

Ladies - can I ask a question? A friend of mine asked me to make her a Hanukkah card to give to a friend. I don't have any Hanukkah stamps though. Would it be appropriate to use the dove and the "sending you holiday peace" sentiment from SU's To you and Yours? I was thinking of embossing in silver with blue cardstock. Does this sound o.k? TIA!
What's another word for synonym?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2008, 02:54 PM   #405  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonnagwdView Post
I just posted two Hanukah cards in my gallery; I'm loving the silver EP. Enjoy!
Last one, I promise! This one is inspired by yours Donna. Funny thing is I didn't even use my Mazel Tov set except for the sentiment. I love this image from Zum Gali Gali stamps. Just pretend the bottom left corner was fully embossed, ok? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2008, 02:55 PM   #406  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerryj106View Post
Ladies - can I ask a question? A friend of mine asked me to make her a Hanukkah card to give to a friend. I don't have any Hanukkah stamps though. Would it be appropriate to use the dove and the "sending you holiday peace" sentiment from SU's To you and Yours? I was thinking of embossing in silver with blue cardstock. Does this sound o.k? TIA!
That would work. If you want some images, just pm me. I'll be happy to mail some.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2008, 03:16 PM   #407  
Polyshrink Goddess

Beautiful cards, Donna! I've got that Outlines menorah stamp too. Embossing really gives that image an extra oomph!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2008, 03:30 PM   #408  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I think it sounds more than okay, it sounds absolutely lovely!

Yapha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2008, 03:45 PM   #409  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by merryfView Post
I've got that Outlines menorah stamp too. Embossing really gives that image an extra oomph!
It's funny - when I bought the Outlines stamp I could see it colored like a stained glass window - but I like it much better embossed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2008, 05:15 PM   #410  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

We really liked that set. If the house hadn't had a wreath on the door, and the merry & bright both being Christmas I might have bought this set. I think the card would be beautiful. Share when your done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2008, 09:55 PM   #411  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinCPAView Post
http://shaylastamps.blogspot.com/

She's got links to lots of great cards on there, including yours Yapha.
I started this thread initially because I saw a need for this information to be available to the SCS and stamping community all together in one nice neat package. I started my blog because this thread got some interest pretty fast, so I'm trying to communicate that information to my blog - and post judaic cards and ATC's there as well. It is a Jewish stamping blog only - you won't find the regular every day stuff there so it doesn't get as many updates, comments or visitors as some of the regular blogs out there. I just added a Flickr group as well in hopes that it would get some attention and bring in some new materials

Last edited by s_anthony; 12-10-2008 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: fat fingers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 09:44 PM   #412  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've updated my Hanukkah Stamping Tips on my blog from last years post and wanted to share it. I would love to hear your comments so I can update it again next year! The hyperlinks of course do not work with the copy/paste so if you need the URL, you will need to head over to my blog.

Attention Rubber stamp companies - please note. The reason I did this is so you will stop printing "Happy Hanukkah" sentiments! I have too many as is! Want suggestions on creating hanukkah stamps - I'm only a PM away and I would be happy to provide you my mailing address for a free sample to rate on my blog (*wink* *wink*)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hanukkah, Chanukkah, Chanukah, Hanukah - Rubber Stamping Tips

(Updated and re-posted on 12/13/0

This is another time of year that cards are given, but probably not as frequently as you think.

Hanukkah, the Jewish festival of re-dedication, also known as the festival of lights, is an eight day festival beginning on the 25th day of the Jewish month of Kislev (which means that it is NOT on the same day every year and it doesn't always happen close to Christmas - make sure to check your calendars).

Hanukkah also can be spelled in many ways. Don't be afraid that you've misspelled it...

* Chanukkah
* Chanukah
* Hanukkah
* Hanukah
* Hanuka
* Chanuka

No matter how you spell it, Hanukkah traditions stay the same.

It is also known as:

* The Festival of Lights
* The Feast of Dedication
* The Feast of the Maccabees

Hanukkah is probably the best known Jewish holiday because of its proximity to Christmas. Many non-Jews (and Jews too) think of this holiday as the "Jewish Christmas" and have adopted many of the Christmas customs, such as gift-giving and decoration. It is ironic that this holiday, which has its roots in a revolution against assimilation and the suppression of Jewish religion, has now become the most assimilated, secular holiday on our calendar.

The only true symbol of this holiday is the lighting of the Menorah. The candles are set in a Hanukiyah, better known as a Menorah, which is the Hebrew word meaning "candelabra." A Hanukiyah has nine candles: one for each night, plus a shamus (servant) at a different height to symbolize the difference from the other candles. (This is a nice note if you are stamping cards with candle stamps - you would stamp 9 total and shift one at a different height). The menorah is usually placed outside of the doorway on the left side (when entering) opposite the mezuzah. If this is not possible, it can be placed on a window sill facing a public street, providing the sill is not more than twenty-nine feet above street level (no point if you live in a high-rise and no one can see it right?). If neither of these are possible, the Menorah can be placed on a table inside the house.

Contrary to popular belief Hanukkah is not an important religious holiday. Hanukkah is not even mentioned in Jewish scripture as the story is related in the book of Maccabbees, which Jews do not accept as scripture.

A tradition of Hanukkah is the Dreidel Game - dreidels are marked with four Hebrew letters: Nun, Gimmel, Hey and Shin. These letters stand for the Hebrew phrase "Nes Gadol Hayah Sham", which means "a great miracle happened there", referring to the miracle of the oil. (I'm sure you can find the story online if you wanted ) Most people play for matchsticks, pennies, M&Ms or chocolate coins - so there's a few ideas for your stamping. Dreidels were first used during the rule of Antiochus before the Maccabees' revolt. During this time, it was forbidden to study the Torah. Anyone studying the Torah would keep a dreidel handy and would then pull out a dreidel and pretend to be playing whenever soldiers investigated

Dreidel is played by placing coins (or some other object) into a pot. Then, each player spins the dreidel and one of four things happen, depending on what side the Driedel lands on:

* Shin means you lose your coins.
* Nun means nothing happens. You neither get coins, nor lose coins.
* Hay means you take half the pot.
* Gimmel means you get the whole pot.

================================================== =

Some ideas for stamping cards during the Hanukkah season:

* Star of davids
* Dreidels
* Menorah
* candles (birthday candles will do! Just make sure you use 9 total)
* winter scenes are acceptable since this is usually the time of year that Hanukkah happens depending on your area of the world (at least it does for me in the US).
* coins (gelt for dreidel games)
* wrapped presents (I find blue and silver colored images work nicely, since presents are usually given on each night)

No Jewish stamps? That's okay - a simple "Seasons Greetings" will do - trust me - you don't have to go out and buy a Jewish stamp set just because your new neighbors who moved in are Jewish. Just please no "Merry Christmas" - although it is appreciated by most.

Colors

* Silver and Blue, but you can incorporate any color really - there aren't any rules here..

Some sample sentiments are:

* Happy Hanukkah (uugh, please no more of these... there are better options)
* Eat, Light and Be Merry
* Dreidle Dreidle Dreidle, we made you out of clay... and when it's dry and ready. With dreidel I shall play....
* Light the Menorah, and Spin the Dreidel!
* 8 great nights!
* The menorah lights are shining, the holiday season is here. Let's have a party, dance the hora and cheer!
* Wishing you a joyous Festival of Lights!
* No matter how you spell it...Happy Hanukkah!
* Wishing you eight whole days of love and happiness
* Come and take a spin (for a dreidel card)
* Nes Gadol Hayah Sham (Means: A Graet Miracle Happened There)
* Nes Gadol Hayah Poh (Means: A Great Miracle Happened Here (Isreal))
* Nes Gadol Chai Poh (Means: A Great Miracle is Alive Here)
* Nun, Gimel Hay, Shin (The characters on the Dreidel)
* Yitromeyn libeynu, tshovav nafsheynu, b'hadlakat neyr shel chanukkah (Means: May our hearts be lifted and spirits refreshed as we light the Chanukah candles)

Some sample stamps and companies to get you started:

* Stampin Up has 4 or 5 Hanukah sets (check ebay if you can't get them from your demo!)
* CTMH also has a few Hanukkah sets (also check ebay if your demo can't get them for you)
* Ruth's Jewish stamps also carries a large selection
* Hevea Art Stamps also has a nice selection
* Zum Gali Gali also has a few stamps!
* Stamping Bella - home of the "Bellas". Check out the Menorah Bella and other great Hanukkah Stamps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2008, 08:15 AM   #413  
Die Cut Diva

Well said!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2008, 05:36 PM   #414  
Polyshrink Goddess

Here are several Hanukkah cards I made last week:

SC196 by merryf at Splitcoaststampers

Child's Hanukkah card -B by merryf at Splitcoaststampers

Child's Hanukkah card - A by merryf at Splitcoaststampers

I haven't had a chunk of time to play with my PTI set yet. Can't wait to try some new things with it

s_anthony, what a fabulous post! I'm off to check out your blog now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2008, 05:46 PM   #415  
Stazon Splitcoast

Great cards! I love that none of them are blue and silver. Not that there's anything wrong with blue and silver....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2008, 07:33 PM   #416  
Polyshrink Goddess

I posted a new update to my blog that I wanted to share here.

I made 5 stamps out of one design. I could have had 6 if I wanted to keep the circle.

I've done this before, and have other stamp samples I can show everyone. It's especially nice to do this if you are using cheap enough stamps (these were the $1.00 stamps at Michaels - so I bought 3 technically)

I snipped them up and re-mounted them. Take a look. Definitely saves you time on masking, and works well for hard to mask images.

I'll be posting the other stamps I've done this to on my blog as soon as I dig them out of my collection
Attached Thumbnails
Jewish Card Making 101-img_0273.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2008, 04:08 AM   #417  
Die Cut Diva

Wow! That is really creative!!!

Yapha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2008, 05:01 AM   #418  
Polyshrink Goddess

that's really a great idea! where did you find these at Mikes? I've never seen Hanukkah stamps there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2008, 09:44 AM   #419  
Stazon Splitcoast

Very cool! Too bad I don't have a Mike's near me. I like that Happy Hanukkah in the circle. Hmmm - I could do that with my JustRite Stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2008, 02:02 PM   #420  
Pearl-ExPert

what a great use of the one stamp! Our mike's never has the Jewish things. If I drive 20 miles I may be able to find it. Thanks so much for sharing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2008, 01:37 PM   #421  
Polyshrink Goddess

Not to toot my own horn, just wanted to share the love, once more, of PTI's Mazel Tov set.
I inked it with Tim Holtz distress ink in antique linen and I think it looks fabulous.

Non-traditional Hanukkah by merryf at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2008, 02:41 PM   #422  
Pearl-ExPert

Wink

Toot away! ; ) he he. It looks great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2008, 03:46 AM   #423  
Polyshrink Goddess

The stamp I got was in the bins with the other Studio G stamps. Usually I snag every single one I can find (I mean.. they're a buck, why wouldn't I), and I give them away to my Jewish friends. This time, I started my shopping a little late and I seemed to have missed most of all the Studio G sets (or they got bought up and listed on ebay for 3 times their cost)...

I have a few star of davids from a Canadian stamp company I bought a few years ago for a dollar at Pat Catans (another craft store here up northeast). I might just do another blog candy post sometime soon with one of them...

Happy Hanukkah folks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2008, 03:18 PM   #424  
Forum Fanatic

Smile

Happy Hanukkah everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2008, 06:42 PM   #425  
Stazon Splitcoast

It's not a holiday card, and unfortunately I've had to use up my entire stash. :( So here's a new sympathy card. I hate to say it, but I'm really happy with how this turned out.

May you be comforted by stampinCPA at Splitcoaststampers

I hope I don't have to use any more anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2008, 07:06 PM   #426  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh WOW. That is a truly BEAUTIFUL card. I may have to CASE you and hope I never have to use it.

Last edited by s_anthony; 12-26-2008 at 07:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2008, 09:35 PM   #427  
Pearl-ExPert

I 2nd that! What a lovely card. Unfortunately we seem to need more get well and sympathy cards these days. Shabbat Shalom and Happy Chanukkah!! Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2008, 05:42 AM   #428  
Polyshrink Goddess

That's a gorgeous card. I put it in my favorites. Where did you find the prayer?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2008, 11:20 AM   #429  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by merryfView Post
That's a gorgeous card. I put it in my favorites. Where did you find the prayer?
I typed it in Word. I have the SPTiberian font installed. The only problem is that you have to type it backwards! So I typed it from my siddur. If anybody wants it, let me know. I'll make it a pdf and email it to you so you can print it even if you don't have the font.

Thank you all for your kind words.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2008, 09:49 AM   #430  
Pearl-ExPert

Here is what I did for Friday night dinner and party at our synagogue. I was very happy with how it turned out!

Hanukkah centerpiece by anniem888 at Splitcoaststampers
Thank you all for giving me somewhere to share my craft. I get wonderful ideas from you all and it inspires me to do more!! Thanks for the "gold stars on my forehead" Happy last night!! Our DD wants a 9th night!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2008, 06:19 PM   #431  
Polyshrink Goddess

I finally uploaded my Hannukkah card! I have no idea how to insert it here, so please go to my brand-new gallery (kegbo) if you'd like a peek. I made them assembly-line fashion so my mom could hand out 20 to her friends at the retirement home she lives in.

Thanks for looking,
Sarah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 04:31 PM   #432  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have an SU Stars of David set for sale if anyone is interested. Click here to see it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 05:59 AM   #433  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinCPAView Post
I have an SU Stars of David set for sale if anyone is interested. Click here to see it.
I sent you a pm ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 07:29 AM   #434  
Kookie Creator

sorry, I missed the set but glad people keep coming back to this thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 07:39 AM   #435  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillieDeeView Post
I sent you a pm ;)
Thanks Billie Dee.

In case anyone is interested in what else I have, check HERE.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 08:22 AM   #436  
Die Cut Diva

*dances*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 07:16 PM   #437  
Watercolor Wizard

Hi Ladies!

An SCSer started a thread in Everyday Chit Chat three days ago asking for guidance on Bar Mitzvah protocol, but has not gotten any response. Might someone here have a moment to respond?

The thread is Forums at Splitcoaststampers.

Thought about y'all today--our Kroger ad had a segment on Purim delicacies, and I was wondering if y'all would be stamping for the occasion. . . . (Also thought I'd get some of the Hamentaschen (sp?) they were offering, to see what they are. )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2009, 04:19 AM   #438  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks for the link, Holly! I am making some Purim cards! I have one on my blog here: http://yaphastamps.wordpress.com/200...rim-is-coming/ and another one going up tonight. I'll be making Hamantaschen this weekend as well.

Yapha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2009, 12:16 PM   #439  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says-oh crap, she's up

Has anyone checked out the Jewish set from Papertrey Ink? Nichole did a lot of research and came up with a beautiful set!!!

http://www.papertreyink.com/stamps_mazeltov.html

http://www.papertreyink.com/stamps_m...additions

are you a bereaved parent too? http://www.thecompassionatefriends.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2009, 12:18 PM   #440  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimz1959View Post
Has anyone checked out the Jewish set from Papertrey Ink? Nichole did a lot of research and came up with a beautiful set!!!

http://www.papertreyink.com/stamps_mazeltov.html

http://www.papertreyink.com/stamps_m...additions.html
I guess you haven't read this whole thread, huh? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes