Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-25-2005, 05:37 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default questions~questions~questions

I just have to say that I love visiting with all of you every morning with my
first cup of tea! What beautiful artwork to start the day off I have been
a lurker for a few months, and have a variety of questions that I hope can be
answered and also help others:

I scrap and stamp~how do you organize your space/time? I do one or the other which requires me to pack up one and begin another. Sometimes I get on a roll with stamping, and then hit a slump and feel ready to scrap but maybe that only lasts for a short time and I am back to packing up/un-packing supplies to start stamping again. I just feel like I am running in circles sometimes!

I would be very interested to hear what views you have about stampin in
scrapbooks. Do you use the 'regular' inks, or do you purchase the 'archival' inks for your albums. How much do you worry about 'ruining' your scrapbook by using the 'wrong' inks etc. can you tell I worry alot????

I feel that it takes me FOREVER to get a card done. and it does not matter if it is a small tag card for a gift or a bday card to mail to someone. Does this
improve with time~or am I destine to be a 'slow producer'? Not that it matters because it is also my therapy

Sorry this is so long and covers so many topics, but I would appreciate your thoughts and input. Thanks, gailbird
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2005, 06:23 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gailbird
I scrap and stamp~how do you organize your space/time? I do one or the other which requires me to pack up one and begin another.

I would be very interested to hear what views you have about stampin in
scrapbooks. Do you use the 'regular' inks, or do you purchase the 'archival' inks for your albums.

I feel that it takes me FOREVER to get a card done. and it does not matter if it is a small tag card for a gift or a bday card to mail to someone. Does this
improve with time~or am I destine to be a 'slow producer'?

Good morning!

Alrighty...a question for you: Do you have your own 'room' for your hobby or does your hobby share a room with another aspect of your daily life (like your kitchen table, a corner of your family room, etc). If you have your own room for your hobby you don't have to pack up *all* your stamp stuff in order to scrapbook, and vice versa.

With the possible exception of inks, pens/pencils and a paper cutter, store all your stamps, papers, accessories...out of sight, in a cupboard or closet, and then only take out the items you are using for any given project.

Some people set aside a certain time each day/week to stamp/scrap. I can't do this because 'forced inspiration' doesn't work for me. ;) When I get the urge to stamp, I stamp.

Do you have friends who also stamp or scrapbook? If so, perhaps you could get together once a week/month/whatever to work on your hobbies? I sometimes work better with people around that I can 'copy' from - uh, I mean, get inspired from (hehe) - but not always. Of course, if I need inspiration there is always the SCS gallery!

As for stamping in scrapbooks...it is fine, but better to use the pigment inks and heat set them than to use the dye inks. This is for the simple reason that dye inks actually dye the fibers of the paper (hence the name 'dye' ink) and thus are more likely to fade/bleed over time than pigment inks (which are made up of pigment that actually just sits on top of the paper without dying the fibers, which is why it stays wetter longer and needs to be heat set, but tends to have more vibrant color that resists fading better over time).

When it comes to scrapbooks, I figure that eventually they are *all* going to fade, become brittle, fall apart, etc. after a long enough period of time. Remember the old magnetic albums our parents used? Or, equally bad, the old construction paper albums with rubber cement (that my MIL uses)? Well, my dh's albums are all falling apart now, as are the 'magnetic' albums my mom used. BUT...we have the technology now to restore those photos and put them in longer-lasting albums. So my thought is this: By the time *our* 'archival quality' albums start to fall apart, there will be some sort of technology even greater than what we have now to restore those albums and photos again.

So my advice? Do what you like and what works for you and don't worry too much about how the album is going to hold up in the future. It'll last a good long time if you are using quality papers and adhesives. ;)

Last but not least...about being a 'slow' stamper. Remember the story of the tortoise and the hare? Slow and steady wins the race! Of course, that's not to say that 'fast' stampers are 'bad'. Just to illustrate the point that it doesn't really matter how long it takes you to finish a card as long as you are DOING it!

Have a great day!

"I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to."
"When we forgive, we free ourselves from the bitter ties that bind us to the one who hurt us."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2005, 06:28 AM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default thx

thanks for the answers and inspiration!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2005, 06:42 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi Gailbird!!

Welcome, welcome! Well, let's see. First of all, I have a crafting space set up in my house. We have an office and half of it is my husband's space with his computers, (yes, plural) gadgets and other nonsense. And the other side is mine, with my computer, and all of my stamping and scrapbooking stuff. I have quite a few of the plastic office organizers that have helped me keep all of my stuff pretty organized. I have also found that hanging a shoe organizer on the wall and filling it with all my tools has helped immensely. This way, all of my stamping and scrabooking things are together since there are so many things I use for both. It is so nice to have a desk and a place for these things, that way if I'm in the middle of a project, I don't have to pack it all up and put it away. I can't just leave it out on my desk. I have the room blocked off with a baby gate to keep the kids out of all my fun stuff.

I shied away at first from using stamps in my scrapbooks, but now I love to use them. I use the Stampin' Up! (SU) classic stampin' pads for scrapbooking. SU recommends using the craft inks, but I can't stand them. They are messy and take forever to dry. I just don't have the patience for that!! I have been scrapbooking in my books for a while and still really like the way they look. I think those inks will fade a little over time, but I still prefer the use the classic. I also never freak out about stamping in my books. I often stamp and then cut it out and place it where I want it. But, stamping is not very different from using stickers. If you put it somewhere you don't want it, you're stuck too. I actually don't recall ever making a huge mistake that I was upset about. I just figure something out, like putting a picture in that place or something. Plus, I really like that stamping is not an exact science, sometimes messy is good - I just go with it. I tell my customers, "that is the beauty of stamping, it is an art and just like nature, everything is not always lined up and perfect, it gives your project character."

I also take a really long time on my projects. That hasn't changed for me. I am particular about things and I kind of hem and haw to get it "just right." It is therapy for me. I have two little wild children who are constantly destroying my house, so stamping is where I have order and take my time.

Hope this helps a little, maybe someone else can help you out too!

Kathryn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2005, 09:56 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess & DSS Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

It takes me a long time to make a card too. That's why, when I do, I make a few of the same. It takes me a SUPER LONG time to scrap book so I just stopped. And now that I stamp, I realized I LOVE stamping!

I took over the dining room. Me and the kids. Hehe. I actually have a degree in art, so my husband is lucky that I've held back this long in over running a room with my "projects."

Dawn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2005, 08:22 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I was originally a scrapper, but have recently discovered a love for stamping--just about each page of the new catalog has a star on it (my wish list). I am lucky enough to have my own scrap and stamp room, but have found that I have been mostly making cards lately and not scrapping!
I made a birthday card for one of my son's football teamates today and it took about two hours, but the idea is now in my brain and I'm going to use all of the elements from the card to use on my son's football layout!! I also left everything out, so I'm going to make some more cards for future use!
I do seem to switch about from stamping to scrappin, but as long as I'm doing something creative I'm happy. I don't obsess with how long anything takes me because I know that I'll never be caught up on my scrapbooks!!
Reply With Quote Likes