Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-25-2006, 07:16 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Location: just trying to navigate through all the muck to get to the Good Stuff!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What exactly is a Xyron??

I asked this in the thread about what Xyron to get but I'd rather not take away from the original question, so:

What is a Xyron? I have been reading a lot about it on the boards and I understand that it turns things into stickers (?), why would I use it for card making?
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 07:24 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I have been stamping about 11 years now and have never seen one in use. I have been told that just using regular glue is much cheaper and easier. My questions are is how hard to use, how cost effective, does it take up much space and really what are the advantages or is it just one more toy? Thanks for starting the thread!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 07:36 AM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the small X one and just bought the 510 (I got it yesterday and haven't had time to play with it). I love the thing. Yes, generally other glue is cheaper. HOWEVER, when you've cut something out and are trying to stick it down and it's difficult to glue nicely, the Xyron works wonders. Also, if you, like me, run out of your favorite glue, Xyron comes in handy. Plus, you can use it to do some cool techniques. There was a technique challenge a couple of weeks ago that required the use of a Xyron (or cold laminate sheets, which I don't have) and turned out pretty cool. You can probably just search the last few technique challenges for it.

If you're interested in getting one/trying one out. I suggest getting the smallest one - the X. It only makes 1 inch wide stickers though, which is why I just bought the 510 (I kept finding that I wanted to stick bigger things into the machine). The X one also costs about $10 regular price, so you should be able to get it cheaply either on sale or with a coupon. That way, you don't spend much money to try it out. Although I've been a sticker lover for years, I don't use many stickers in my stamping projects so I didn't see much of a point to it either. However, now that I have it, I LOVE it. I was amazed at how many things I can use it for and how much easier it makes some things.

In fact, I used my X one last night. I used it for faux embossing (took little punches of hearts and put them through it so they'd glue down nicely and without a mess) and have used it for things that are harder to glue without wrinkling, such as faux cloissione.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 07:39 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Xyrons are a very easy way to put adhesive on. They work for somewhat heavier items (like ribbon and buttons) as well as cardstock and other papers. It is very quick. I have 3 different sizes (X, 510, 800) and use them all the time. You can use the 40% off coupons to get the Xyron as well as the cartridges. I highly recommend them.

You can also use them to adhere magnetic strips.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 07:49 AM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

I have 3 Xyron products. I have the 150(can do stuff up to 1.5"), which comes in very handy. I use it to put adhesive on the back of small die cut letters and shapes (I don't like getting glue all over my hands trying to put it on the back of small letters).
I have a 900 (can do stuff up to 8.5") there are lots of options for the bigger Xyron. You can buy perm. adhesive, repositionable adhesive, laminate the front/adhesive the back, double sided laminate, laminate the front/magnet on the back. So if you home school or like to do crafty things, the bigger Xrons are awsome.
The other Xyron I have is the person die cutting machine. It is super cool. Here is a link to take a look. http://home.everestkc.net/dkqc/catpcs.htm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 08:04 AM   #6  
Inking Addict

Location: just trying to navigate through all the muck to get to the Good Stuff!

I'm having a "duh" moment, sorry...I still don't get it? Do you put what you've stamped to adhere to the front of a card (a layer) into this machine and it makes the back sticky? Is it as strong or stronger than other adhesives? I have never used any other adhesives besides Snail from Stampin Up and I use more than I should (I am always scared someone will get a card from me and a piece will fall off). I basically cover the *entire* back of cardstock with snail to make it stick FOREVER but if this machine does the job better than me then I need one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 09:27 AM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

The permanent adhesive for the Xyron is very strong in my experience. It applies a thin layer of adhesive to the back of items you run through it. I have an X (1.5" wide) and use it mostly on ribbons, strips of paper to punch or stamp, and on smaller UM rubber stamps before applying them to Grafix cling. I also run die cut letters through mine, but the one drawback of the Xyron is that the adhesive overhangs over the sides of items you've run through it, so you have to be sure to rub the edges of your item through the clear plastic covering to get the adhesive off the sides. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 09:42 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

I love using my Xyron for Vellum, perfect everytime. I have X little one and the 510. You can send just about anything through, paper, buttons, vellum, ribbon and after it's gone through the machine it's made into a sticker. Cool tip about the faux embossing.........will have to try that.

~~Kate~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 10:12 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni M&M Stamper

Thanks for posting this question, 2stamp4fun, and for all the responses so far. Now I have something else to put on my 'wish list!'
FS #44
My Blog: wheremmsgather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 11:04 AM   #10  
Inking Addict

Ok, thanks I am "getting it", slowly but surely! I have checked out their website and it was only more confusing so I think i'll keep getting my advice here!
Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 06:55 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Thumbs up

Here is an AWESOME video that perfectly demonstrates several different sizes of the Xyron machines. I have to say that I really and truly did not "get it" until I saw this video. After I saw this, I was hooked and immediately went out and bought the little "X" sticker maker. Now the big guy is on my wish list. Hope this helps you understand what the hype is all about!

Click HERE for Xyron demonstration video.
(Choose appropriate bandwidth and video player on the right hand side of the screen).

Have fun watching! The lady in the video is a hoot!
Reply With Quote Likes