Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   ISO: Credit Card with Great Rewards for all the $ I spend! (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/iso-credit-card-great-rewards-all-%24-i-spend-22188/)

Laurel 01-03-2005 05:08 AM

ISO: Credit Card with Great Rewards for all the $ I spend!

Hi All,
I am wondering if any of you know of a good credit card opportunity that offers rewards for purchases? I am a SU! demonstrator and would like to use it for my order but am also considering making all purchases using the card and paying it off at the end of the month. I have heard of people doing this but have never trusted myself to stick with it. Wouldn't want to charge, charge, charge and then spend all the cash that was supposed to be used for paying all that charging off!
TIA

StarLitStudio 01-03-2005 05:24 AM

Try a citi mastercard (citi.com) that offers cash back. My amex does the same thing. No annual fee on either.

I love making the card companies work for me. However, cash back cards are useless if you intend to carry balances.

Chris Fuhs 01-03-2005 05:25 AM

I have always used Discover, paid it off each month, and reaped the cash back rewards to buy more stamps.

My husband like to charge on Visa and get airline miles.

Either way, it only works if you are a stickler for paying it off.

sml1170 01-03-2005 05:32 AM

I got the Discover card to use just for SU orders. I have been trying to pay it off every month but since I had to use it for a different purchase, I currently am not able to do this. It is my priority card to pay off, though. I got it mainly because of the cashback. HTH. Not sure if there are other awards but I like the cashback so I can buy more stamps with it :D

kimilou 01-03-2005 06:11 AM

Discover is all we use unless they won't accept it. Then we use my Joann's Visa ( it also earns points). Discover now has a card where you get 10% on gas purchases. It's worth checking out. The important thing is to pay it off every month :!: :!: :!: We're getting over $250 back this year.

photocropper 01-03-2005 06:16 AM

Have a friend that goes to disney world every year and she pays for everything with her disney cc for disney $.

STAMPATTACK 01-03-2005 06:16 AM

credit card

Don't forget a Target card. You don't get cash back but you do get 10% off all your purchases after using it on $1,000. of purchases. It doesn't sound like much but when you can buy groceries and all the household stuff there it adds up.

shopaholic 01-03-2005 06:52 AM

I use the capital one rewards card. I get a point for each dollar I spend and try to pay it in full each month (I said try) I have earned more free flights than I ever imagined I could and with that it allows me to travel to Illinois with my kids at least once a year. I also travelled to convention with a free airline ticket this year.

I believe there is an annual fee, but can't remember how much it is since I have had this card for so long!

I think the most imortant thing to add is to make sure the "rewards" you earn, regardless of which card or program you choose are rewards that you will use. For years I had a shell mastercard. It was great while we lived in the midwest since there were shell stations all over to redeem the points for free gas, however when we moved to Arizona, there were no shell stations, so we almost lost alot of "free gas".

I recently got the disney credit card. Not for the points, but because of the discounts avaliable when we go to Disney which usually averages 2-3 times a year.

Jennifer

cookielou 01-03-2005 06:55 AM

For my business I use discover with cash back.

For personal we have a upromise citi card. A % of all purchases goes to my son's college fund.

We also use the shell card and earn free gas.

musicmarth 01-03-2005 07:11 AM

I have a Target Card (and someone has already mentioned that one) for in-person transactions. Then, for online transactions, I have an MBNA Mastercard...Barnes & Noble Rewards! They actually have different reward programs, but I love Barnes & Noble, so I went with that.

One of the advantages of their card...and the reason it's for online transactions is because of a feature they call Shop Safe. You can go online and create a credit card number (that is linked to your regular account) that is good for the amount you specify and the time length you specify. It gives me an extra feeling of security to know that if someone did hack into that company's database and steal my credit card number, it wouldn't be good because it would be over the limit I set or it would be expired.

I love being rewarded for shopping!

Martha

demodarla 01-03-2005 07:22 AM

I totally understand the problem of spending the money that was to go to paying for monthly credit card purchases. Now I track my bank account using a computer program (Microsoft Money) and whenever I make a CC purchase that I have the money for, I just show that amount of money as a withdrawl from my account. When it comes time to pay the credit card bill I just total the withdrawls and change them to a payment on the card. Does that make sense? It has really helped me.

Good luck to you.

StampinUpaStorm 01-03-2005 07:43 AM

I've been using Discover for paying my son's tuition and all my SU purchases - just got $160 back on this month's statement! It worked out great for the $150 order I placed last night! We pay off all our cc's every month. I hate paying interest.

kimilou 01-03-2005 08:27 AM

Laurel, watch out for cc that charge fees too! it can negate your rewards!!

purplewinkle 01-03-2005 08:46 AM

I use a citibank card that gives 5% at the grocery store, drug stores and gas stations. It gives 1% on everything else.

DH just applied for one from citibank that gives a free 100 gift cert. the first time you use it.

I always use cards that give something back.

I put them on auto pay so they take the payment in full out of my checking account every month. That is how I discipline myself and then I never have to pay a fee. HTH

Rainy

kahoogstad 01-03-2005 09:03 AM

I have both AMEX & Mosaic Mastercard, which both give me 1 airmile for every $20.00 I spend (Canadian). The AMEX has no annual fee, but the Mosaic Mastercard will only give 1 airmile for every $40.00 you spend, unless you pay a $35 annual charge to bump it up to 1 for $20.00. I'm sure it's similar for US residents. Definitely worth it for us. We have reaped many rewards from www.airmiles.com. You can even use it to get grocery certificates if you want to put your points to practical use.

We pay it off every month too. Never a good idea to spend more than you make!! If you're going to do that, get a low-cost borrowing account because the interest will be cheaper than paying it to the CC company.

Another tip: it's a good idea to stick to one loyalty/rewards program. i.e. both our credit cards get us airmiles. If you have one card collecting this and one card collecting that, you collect anything of worth very quickly.

Hisbride 01-03-2005 09:05 AM

This is very interesting info. I haven't considered it because I don't make any income in which any cc company would issue me a card. It would be nice to be able to charge a workshop or other order and immediatly pay in order to get the cash back advantages. It's like getting something for nothing.

mrsgebo 01-03-2005 09:31 AM

I go through MBNA America (specifically Royal Caribbean) and earn points toward a cruise. I put my SU orders on it along with food, gas, prescriptions and misc. household items. My husband and I have a deal that it HAS to be paid off every month. It is so worth it to have a credit card that does double-duty to earn either $$ or points. Good luck with your search for the perfect card!

Kristina

stamping-in-style 01-03-2005 09:48 AM

I also use the discover card. I do all my orders through SU with that card and the cash back rewards are great! I would encourage you to look into the Discover Card!

krayesmom 01-03-2005 10:15 AM

I use the Disney Visa card. No annual fee and you earn 1 point for $100 spent. 1 point=$1 to spend on any Disney thing-park tickets, cruise tickets, Disney store, etc... We are planning to take the Disney cruise in a couple of years, so every little bit helps. I believe their website is bankone.com/disney. Obviously not for you if you aren't a Disney fan! :D

vz5dzh 01-03-2005 11:19 AM

I have a Sony visa card through bank one. You can use your points to buy sony stuff, cds, movies, electronics, movie theater tickets. I like it.

Hisbride 01-04-2005 05:31 AM

A question for those of you with Discover. The cash back.. do you get a check cut and sent to you? Do you have to claim that as income on your taxes?

Laurel 01-04-2005 06:23 AM

Once again, you ladies are coming through in full force :D All these rewards sound very exciting! The only one that probably won't work is the Target card because we don't have a SuperTarget---maybe someday. Royal Caribbean.... like that one! We just returned from our fourth cruise. That made 2 with Royal Caribbean, love them!

It looks like this information has helped a couple other Split members as well. Thanks again.

kimilou 01-04-2005 08:01 AM

The Discover we have right now let's you access it through the year. I believe that you can do that at a certain time . I'll check to be sure. I do know that now we can also apply it to our credit card payment if we want to. You use to have to wait till the end of the year to get it. But that's not the case anymore. You could call Discover and ask about what type of cards they offer and take it from there. The website is discovercard.com
The phone number on my card is 1-800-347-2683. Good luck!
Oh almost forgot. We don't claim ours as income- you don't receive any tax stuff with it. It's like a rebate I guess.

Laurel,just checked with Discover. You can cash in the rewards anytime in increments of $20. You really ought to check out the site cause there are other places you can "cash in" at and get double rewards.