Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cut files/dies for images...am I the only one not liking the look?

Way back when (:o) before there were dies and electronic cutting files we stampers and scrappers would ink up an image and "fussy cut" it if we wanted to place the image on a card or scrapbook. No problem!!

Now with all the "dies for images" and cutting files we can do away with the fussy cutting......however.....is it just me or does anyone else not like the white border that results from using a die or cut file? When I cut my images I work hard to make sure there is no white space around them so this new way of cutting, while easier, looks terrible to me!!

No offense to anyone who likes this look - it is just not for me!

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts

I don't much care for it either, Nancy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

Nancy, I will say that I stamped something the other day and then diecut it. Usually it doesn't bother me a whole lot, but this particular die left too much white for me. So I did end up trimming off the white that I didn't like. I think it is one of those things like white core paper vs. solid core. I prefer the solid core, especially when using my electronic die cutter as I do not want to leave the edges of what I cut be white nor do I want to sponge every edge. (I like your avatar. Wish I was under that palm tree with my toes in the water and my ... in the sand!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Another "not a fan" here... The only reason I could come up with to justify this new trend was if you were making multiples of something and didn't have the time/energy/desire to cut out each one. I can see using some of the dies to cut the shape without the stamped image to use as a silhouette or something, though.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't like the look of it either. I take the extra time to cut out the image and adhere it onto my project, that way I can use pop dots to make my image stand out.

Christi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't really care for the white border either - well, on some images it's ok, but most of the time not so much. The thing is, for a lot of the images I've seen that have matching dies, it really wouldn't take much longer at all to fussy cut than it takes to get the die lined up and run thru the machine. (Unless the electronic cutters are faster; don't have one of those.)

I have the Hearts A Flutter bundle from Stampin Up - it's one set that I don't mind the border, but it would definitely be faster to just cut by hand. All easy curves and straight edges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2013, 03:00 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,057 Likes on 815 Posts

I mostly agree - I like images cut on the line.
But - even in the days before dies that went with images, some people always fussy-cut with a white border; I remember a thread on it a good while back. So I think it's just a matter of personal taste and preference, like so much else.
I surprised myself by fussy-cutting something with a slight border the other day .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2013, 06:45 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I used to have white border fussy cut envy. Just couldn't do it so this thread makes me laugh about that.

I think it depends. But there are some cut files/dies that leave way too much area for my liking. Plus I like cards to look handmade/bespoke. That said I will probably attempt it when I actually play with my electronic cutter. :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2013, 07:05 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

I haven't gotten into the outline type metal dies because they are fixed in size. I do like the idea of electronic cut files because they can be resized to cut where you like, and they can cut a shadow slightly larger.

When I fussy cut, I almost always leave a slight white border.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson

Last edited by ceramicat1; 04-11-2013 at 07:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Default See my hand raised in the air?

Count me in the club that doesn't care for the white border around the stamped images that are die cut. As a matter of fact, sometimes I "fussy cut" so close that I accidentally cut off part of the outline of an image and have to line it with a super-fine tip Sharpie! But it really is a matter of personal preference--and I prefer not to have a white border.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use the print & cut feature of my Craft Robo and I can cut it out on the line so there isn't any border. I couldn't imagine doing it by hand anymore. My old eyes don't work that well anymore either for fussy cutting. There are times when I like the white border too. It just depends on the project. Love my Craft Robo. Best tool ever for cutting....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
I use the print & cut feature of my Craft Robo and I can cut it out on the line so there isn't any border. I couldn't imagine doing it by hand anymore. My old eyes don't work that well anymore either for fussy cutting. There are times when I like the white border too. It just depends on the project. Love my Craft Robo. Best tool ever for cutting....
I really need to find some good Craft Robo tutorials - my silhouette is the Craft Robo version
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Another "not a fan" here... The only reason I could come up with to justify this new trend was if you were making multiples of something and didn't have the time/energy/desire to cut out each one. I can see using some of the dies to cut the shape without the stamped image to use as a silhouette or something, though.
Hey cool! Did you all see that we have "like" buttons now??

Now that I use FB, I often want to just click "like" here - thanks SCS!!

I agree, sometimes the dies do leave a far too wide white border. I don't know that I've ever cut right to the stamped line (unless I mess up and give up on my border), but when I cut by hand I leave a very small (1/16" maybe) white border.

I do sometimes like to leave the die in place and then sponge - more often with a natural/cream cardstock - so then it's nice to have the border.

Hmmm.... I don't know that I've thought of this before, but what could look nice is to cut the stamped image by hand, and diecut the shape with colored or patterned cardstock and then layer them. I'll have to try that.
Reply With Quote Likes