Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-18-2006, 02:47 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Digital photography question!

I'm terrible at this tech stuff :oops: and need to know what is considered a "high resolution" photo.

Can someone define/explain this for me?

TIA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 02:56 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

High resolution photo is gonna have more pixals per inch of the photo/scan so it will be more clear and better when you blow it up. The less the pixals the less the quality or resolution. As per what is high vs low I am not sure what number is the cut off. :( Wish I could be more help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 03:09 PM   #3  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to BadSherry

Julie: When I first saw your question, I was thinking in the terms of megapixels. Where as a 2 megapixel camera will generate pictures that are great for uploading to the web, but not good if you are into cropping photos and maintaining the image. 5 megapixels are great for zooming and cropping your photos without losing your image (otherwise becoming grainy). 6+ megapixels are great for larger photos 8x10, 11x14 and plus have the ability to crop, etc. and not loose the image. With all of these higher megapixels, they can be resized to a lower resolution in order to upload. I take pictures at 6 megapixel, but resize in windows software to upload to this site. Here's a link that explains the difference but I found it confusing but interesting:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...s-demyst.shtml
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 03:18 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Aaaaah, thank you! I see. So, my Nikon CoolPix, if set to 3 MP will not be able to take what would be considered "high resolution" photos?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 03:21 PM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

No probably not -- what is the highest megapixel that it will take?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 03:30 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

:( Only 3 . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 03:38 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

A 3 megapixel camera would print an OK 8x10 if it's a nice, well lit shot. It will print a nice 4x6 or even 5x7. What are you trying to do with your shots?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 03:39 PM   #8  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Oh I feel your pain! I think my first digital camera was a 2 meg and I am one of those that shoot and click and then crop and clean it up. I would get so frustrated because I had some great photos but needed to get rid of all the *extra junk* around my focal point. I would crop, blow up and then someone's nose would cover their whole face -- just horrid! So I finally went and got a new Kodak a year or so ago and just love it. Daughter #2 had big formal dance a few weeks ago and taking pictures of her and BF got the front door, the ceiling, her shoes lying on the floor under table, I got it all. Luckily I was able to crop all the extra garbage out and actually came away with a good close up. If only they had smiled!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 03:40 PM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

well i guess I should have asked that too -- what are you trying to do?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 04:03 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

I just wanted to know what it means. :oops: I feel very tech stupid sometimes, and when I see or hear things like "high resolution", I wondered whether or not my camera could take anything like that.

I'm on the brink of getting into digital scrapbooking, but I don't understand a lot of computer side of photo editing, UKWIM?

So, here's my next stupid question: :oops:

Let's say I took some photos at 3MP and wanted to upload them to an online photo processing place for developing/printing. What kind of quality would I get, if I wanted 5x7 prints? Do I have to do anything to the photos prior to uploading them to their service? :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 04:15 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
Let's say I took some photos at 3MP and wanted to upload them to an online photo processing place for developing/printing. What kind of quality would I get, if I wanted 5x7 prints? Do I have to do anything to the photos prior to uploading them to their service? :confused:
Depends on who you take them too each developer is different! I am very picky with my pics so I always size them to the size I want them printed that way I can crop them the way I want! MOST developers will crop and size them for you but may cut out something you didn't want cut out.... BUT unless you are really picky just take the memory card to costco put it in the machine and let it do everything for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 04:15 PM   #12  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Sorry can't help you there. I print my own which is one reason I have a kodak, because of the easyshare printer. It gives me lab quality 4x6 and wallet photos. If I need anything larger I print to my home printer. I would think though, that you will be fine as long as you are not cropping photos.
2ittleboys is right about the quality you will get, as long as you are not manipulating the photos, just shooting and printing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 04:22 PM   #13  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Julie, if you shoot on the highest file size setting on your camera you will have no problem getting a good 5x7 from the image file.

A high-res image is a file with dpi equal to or higher than 300dpi (dpi = dots per inch). Printers think in dpi so the more dpi a file has, the better your print quality at larger sizes.

Your images will be fine for 5x7.

8x10 would be pushing it without any photo editing, but an 8x10 may certainly be possible with a bit of photoshop tweaking.

To give you a comparison for how to think about dpi, a typical web image is 72 dpi, or lower. If a web image is printed onto paper, it might look *ok* the same size it is viewed online, but if you try to increase the size it will look like a jigsaw puzzle. There just isn't enough data to fill larger areas of space and still maintain image quality.

But, an image file with 300dpi has more data to fill the space per square inch, so your quality stays true at larger print sizes.

Your camera will produce 5x7s ok, but if you want to start cropping your images and increasing only portions of your overall image to 5x7 size, you will run into quality issues.

Best way to find out what your camera is capable of is to put your files to print! They're inexpensive to have printed, and since every camera is a bit different, it would be your best way of learning its boundaries.

Hope this is helpful ... ;)

-Anna.
Illustrator: Whipper Snapper Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 04:22 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

OK, let's see if I am following: If I take the photos, and crop them on my computer to 5x7 format on my computer, and then upload them to the photo processing place, will I have then altered the resolution of the photo????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 04:29 PM   #15  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
OK, let's see if I am following: If I take the photos, and crop them on my computer to 5x7 format on my computer, and then upload them to the photo processing place, will I have then altered the resolution of the photo????
Yes. What you are doing by cropping a photo is taking the limited amount of data for a small portion of the image and spreading out that data over a larger space so yes, you would be reducing the resolution.

You're starting with a fairly small data file to begin with and there isn't alot of extra data that can be removed before you start losing quality and clarity.

BUT! If you're only cropping a very small bit around the edges, you'll be ok -- because you're maintaining *most* of the image data with the file.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 04:32 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Keep in mind the more you crop the more pixels you are taking away. With your camera you're going to want to keep the file sizes as big as you can. For example, if you have a nice picture of your daughter standing in the yard and you decide that you only want a picture of her face you would be cutting too much out because the remaining pixels wouldn't be enough to be blown up to a larger picture. Does that make much sense? But, if you just wanted to crop out the garbage can from the corner of the picture you're going to be ok.

If you have a Costco membership upload your photos to them and try it out. 4x6s are 17 cents and 5x7s are like 35 cents. You wouldn't be wasting a bunch of money trying it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 04:32 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Yeah, what the faster typer said.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetMissDaisy
Yes. What you are doing by cropping a photo is taking the limited amount of data for a small portion of the image and spreading out that data over a larger space so yes, you would be reducing the resolution.

You're starting with a fairly small data file to begin with and there isn't alot of extra data that can be removed before you start losing quality and clarity.

BUT! If you're only cropping a very small bit around the edges, you'll be ok -- because you're maintaining *most* of the image data with the file.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 04:32 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

OK!!! I get it now!!!! :mrgreen:

Thanks you guys!!!!! yippeeeeeee!!! I get it!!! I get it!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 04:35 PM   #19  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2littleboys
Keep in mind the more you crop the more pixels you are taking away. With your camera you're going to want to keep the file sizes as big as you can. For example, if you have a nice picture of your daughter standing in the yard and you decide that you only want a picture of her face you would be cutting too much out because the remaining pixels wouldn't be enough to be blown up to a larger picture. Does that make much sense? But, if you just wanted to crop out the garbage can from the corner of the picture you're going to be ok.

If you have a Costco membership upload your photos to them and try it out. 4x6s are 17 cents and 5x7s are like 35 cents. You wouldn't be wasting a bunch of money trying it out.

...Ya, what she said! ;)

Heheheeee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 04:44 PM   #20  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetMissDaisy
Julie, if you shoot on the highest file size setting on your camera you will have no problem getting a good 5x7 from the image file.

A high-res image is a file with dpi equal to or higher than 300dpi (dpi = dots per inch). Printers think in dpi so the more dpi a file has, the better your print quality at larger sizes.

Your images will be fine for 5x7.

8x10 would be pushing it without any photo editing, but an 8x10 may certainly be possible with a bit of photoshop tweaking.

To give you a comparison for how to think about dpi, a typical web image is 72 dpi, or lower. If a web image is printed onto paper, it might look *ok* the same size it is viewed online, but if you try to increase the size it will look like a jigsaw puzzle. There just isn't enough data to fill larger areas of space and still maintain image quality.

But, an image file with 300dpi has more data to fill the space per square inch, so your quality stays true at larger print sizes.

Your camera will produce 5x7s ok, but if you want to start cropping your images and increasing only portions of your overall image to 5x7 size, you will run into quality issues.

Best way to find out what your camera is capable of is to put your files to print! They're inexpensive to have printed, and since every camera is a bit different, it would be your best way of learning its boundaries.

Hope this is helpful ... ;)

-Anna.
I knew this "sweet" girl would know and could explain it a whole lot better! It makes perfect sense to me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 04:50 PM   #21  
The Digi-Freak

and if you want supacheap pics... http://www.winkflash.com

I love them!! 99c shipping and GREAT prices!

4 x 6 12¢ each
4 x 5.3 12¢ each
3.25 x 5 12¢ each
5 x 7 29¢ each
5 x 6.6 29¢ each
6 x 8 79¢ each
8 x 10 $1.99 each
8 x 10.6 $1.99 each
10 x 13 $3.39 each

I get the 4x5.3 to toss into cards... they still fit in an SU envelope! LOVE it!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 04:50 PM   #22  
Preggo Brain

Location: Trying to spend as much time as possible watching Xander and Xavier grow and learn!

Just saw this thread, I know that when I upload to Sam's Club they will tell you what size is a recommended size, next to the box to click for the size of the photo.
I ended up printing and uploading a photo that I had cropped and got a size up from what they recommended, it would have been okay had I uploaded the picture upside down; because when they made it fit they ended up cutting the top of our heads a bit, so I think that if I upload it upside down then it would be fine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 05:26 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

COOL! Thanks to all of you for your help and info!!! :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2006, 07:19 PM   #24  
Mad Swapper

www.snapfish.com is another digital photo site. I've been very happy with them and they explain everything under the help as to what size the photos need to be when you upload them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2006, 05:05 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoopy
www.snapfish.com is another digital photo site. I've been very happy with them and they explain everything under the help as to what size the photos need to be when you upload them.
Just now waking up and seeing this thread. SweetMissDaisy is right on with her advice (as were others kind enought to respond). I just wanted to add another shoutout for snapfish... love 'em !!

Give our SCS Team a break...No uploads on Sundays!

Lions and tigers and my blog, oh my!

Visit my site here!!
Reply With Quote Likes