Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Inking Edges (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/inking-edges-164068/)

Carolyn49 07-11-2006 09:51 AM

Inking Edges

I'm not sure I even titled this correctly but I would like to know how you get the inked edges. Do you brush the paper against the ink pad? I love the look. Thanks!

natscrapper 07-11-2006 09:55 AM

I use a couple of different techniques. I either just rub my ink pads against my paper (SU! spots work really well for this) or I use sponge daubers or sponges and sponge around the edges. Dragging the ink pad on the paper will create a more dramatic effect while sponging will give you a softer look.

Natalie

Jeanne S 07-11-2006 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natscrapper
I use a couple of different techniques. I either just rub my ink pads against my paper (SU! spots work really well for this) or I use sponge daubers or sponges and sponge around the edges. Dragging the ink pad on the paper will create a more dramatic effect while sponging will give you a softer look.

Natalie

I do the same :)

ematson 07-11-2006 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne S
I do the same :)

Me too!

stac 07-11-2006 10:04 AM

Thanks for posting this technique! I have wondered but never asked! TFS

lbirus 07-11-2006 11:17 AM

I agree with all of the above and add that if you pick up you CS and hold it in your left hand (if you're a righty) then hold the sponge in your right hand, after inking it on the ink pad, you can "flick" the edges for a rough effect. If you want the gentle shading look, lay your CS down on the table, ink your sponge very lightly then use a gentle rubbing motion and really blend in toward the focal point, leaving the edges darker. (I love using Creamy Caramel). There was a thread that a while back where Miss Daisy explained her shading technique. I can't seem to locate it now but that's basically what she said.
It looks so wonderful it's worth the practice to get the feel of it!

jdmeeks 07-11-2006 11:23 AM

I usually use a sponge; but using the ink pad directly works well too (just not my personal preference!)

lbirus 07-11-2006 11:59 AM

Oh yea, I wanted to say that the type of sponge does make a difference. The soft round sponges from SU are excellent or if you want to save your money for stamps you can buy the same type of sponge at Michael's in the art section, they come two in a pack and can be cut into quarters just like the SU kind. I actually got mine from the auto section. It was so big that I cut about 30 pieces from it. I can now throw them out when there's no clean section!

craftygirl04 07-11-2006 12:10 PM

I use a sponge because I like the softer look.

rhondag 07-11-2006 12:13 PM

I like Saran Wrap, but I'm sort of strange. (I think the result is ~between~ direct to paper and sponging. Less harsh than dtp and more harsh/less soft than sponging.)

scrapbratmother 07-11-2006 12:17 PM

I would have to agree with the above too. I usually use the ink pad directly on the edges, have also used the SU sponges most often and love the Saran Wrap effects too. I've heard of using ink on bubble wrap and applying your cs to that also.
Hope this inspires you!!

mnhyrkas 07-11-2006 12:20 PM

I use my craft spots to ink edges all the time- since it takes longer to dry, I use my finger to smear it around a bit.

mnhyrkas 07-11-2006 12:21 PM

edit- to clarify, I put the spot direct to paper, then smear with finger

Joan B 07-11-2006 12:30 PM

I just came upon the idea of using a solid stamp to stamp onto the edge of cardstock. I tap off first on scratch paper. I get a much better result than sponging. I'm sponge impaired!! I used the rectangle from last year's paint prints to do the Shabbilicious card in my gallery. Click on my gallery or my blog and you'll see the most recent card and see the effect.

jmhoffmann 07-11-2006 12:37 PM

I have done all of the above and also I sometimes use chalk and a cotton ball to edge the c/s. I use stipple brushes against the stamp pad and "stomp" the edges of c/s depending on look that I want. Have fun experimenting!!

:smiles: and hugs, Joanne