Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-10-2007, 05:29 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I am letting myself go in order to stamp......

I have always been a high-maintenance girly girl. Shopping was my hobby- I loved it shoes, clothes and jewelry and make up- even buying hairspray and shampoo was fun to me. I used to get my nails done regularly, get my hair cut and highlighted on a semi-regular basis and tried to keep up with latest styles and make up trends. I even used to go tanning (until they found a pre-cancerous/early melanoma- then I stopped). That was just a little over a year ago.

What happened a year ago you ask? I discovered stamping. I am a single Mom so I don't have unlimited cash to spend if you KWIM. (please note that my stamping addiction in no way affects the care of my son-I have a separate account to cover his educational, medical and personal needs) Now when I go to the store I pick something up and say to myself, "Is this worth a stamp set?" If it isn't (and most of the time it isn't) I put it back. The other weekend my girlfriend and I were shopping. I picked out something that I liked but thought- nah- I really don't need to spend that much money. The item was about $20. We went to several LSS and Local Craft stores (and Target of all places) that had Primas, designer paper and ribbon. I know I spent more than that $20 and it barely made me blink. In fact, it made me giddy and happy beyond belief.

I haven't had my hair cut and colored in over 6 months (can't even remember at this point) and I cannot remember the last outfit I bought. I'm not saying I don't have anything to wear- just not anything new. But I have given up a lot of things that I used to "love" for my stamping. I even have concerns that I may never date because I can't afford to stamp and put the effort it might take to put into my appearance to go on the single scene. And stamping is more important to me. (my friend told me that if I wait too much longer I am going to be too old and end up alone but that's a whole other thread for another night......) Not that I am unattractive- but I don't have any "date" outfits and with the new SU catty coming out and all the new stuff I am discovering on a daily basis I don't see myself having any money left over for clothes.

Am I crazy? Probably- but what I want to know is if I am alone in my craziness? What are some things you have given up to enjoy stamping? I know I am not the only one.....share your confessions here!! :-D
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2007, 05:39 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Well, I just checked out your gallery and you are certainly using your "craziness" to make some wonderful cards.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2007, 05:55 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Location: In a hostile frozen wasteland...waiting for spring!

I love stamping...but I am VERY high maintenance and love makeup and skincare and hair care products WAY more. I have spent around 80 dollars this week alone on a new boar hair bristle round brush, a blow dry creme, and a straightening spray, and a body lotion. All professional products of course...I buy almost nothing to take care of myself in a drug store except body wash. I am a Mary Kay consultant for personal use and spend around 240 every 6 months or so replenishing my skin care. I buy pricey Benefit, Nars, and MAC cosmetics. What can I say...I love it more I still love to stamp though.
I do just have myself to take care of though, and always will. Can't have kids anyways, which in my case is obviously meant to be
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2007, 06:00 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow! Now I will say this- if I could afford to do both- I definitely would. And I still have a few "splurges" now and then. I just couldn't believe myself when I was telling myself I couldn't afford this really cute shirt (which pre-stamping I would have found a way to justify it even if I had the exact shirt in my closet already...)- and then I turned around and spent just as much if not more on Primas and designer paper....and there's still so much more stamping stuff I want and don't have.......oh well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2007, 06:03 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickers089View Post
Well, I just checked out your gallery and you are certainly using your "craziness" to make some wonderful cards.
Well, I will take that as high praise because I just checked your gallery and it is awesome. You have some great cards too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2007, 06:12 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Location: In a hostile frozen wasteland...waiting for spring!

I totally know what you mean...there is still so much stamping stuff I want...my motto in life "I need I want I need I want" Haha..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2007, 07:36 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Well i have always loved shopping, all of it, clothes, shoes, purses to match, jewelery, hair care, i use Arbonne skin-care products and used to use Aloette.
It started when i first started working at 15..am now 62 and hasn't changed..I do love my stamping, but i will never change the way i like to maintain my lifestyle etc. I buy a lot of non su ..so i get from e-bay or sites that have um..save some there..Thars me in a nutshell..lol
loves ya

When the world says give up, hope whispers, try one more time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2007, 07:41 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

I am very much like you. I used to be high maintenance with clothes, hair, nails. I now stamp. I was smiling when I read your post because I put off buying other things, so I can buy stamping stuff instead too. You know what? It makes me happy. I buy all clothes that my officemates call timeless. My hair has been long and straight forever. Now it just doesn't change colors. I don't need to be trendy, just happy. You are not alone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2007, 08:23 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sherry! LOL! You're cracking me up. I totally think about prices in terms of stamp sets. I'll pick something up and think, "I could get two stamp sets for that cost"! hee hee. I still do the necessities (the roots can only get so long before they have to go!) and an occasional spa pedicure, but otherwise most of my $ goes to stamping or scrapbooking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2007, 08:34 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Mmmm. I get massages regularly, but I have a pretty high stress personality and career, so it's a medical expense we pay out of our Health Savings Account. Other than that, yeah - I need a haircut & color but am postponing it in order to get like, every SU punch this month. :cool:

I use Arbonne cosmetics and am very happy. Before that I used Aveda, and Arbonne is SO cheap wholesale, especially the color cosmetics. The skincare set lasts me 7 months. So I have been able to cut my makeup/skincare spending way back. I love their aromatherapy, too (although it's not quite my Bobbi Brown Beach!). They even have mineral foundation.

I was a makeup artist with Clarins in the past, and I think makeup and skincare are art and expressive - now I get that creative urge out by stamping and scrapping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2007, 08:37 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

This is funny! I have been thinking the same way lately! This is how bad it is....two of my kids have to go to daycare all day tomorrow (something that happens very rarely as I work part time and dh works from home, so we usually can swing only needing daycare for a few hours at a time or not at all) and I have been thinking all weekend, "That $40 could buy me some great stamps!!" LOL

My Blog - New!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2007, 08:56 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

First Sherry, let me say this is one of the funniest posts I've read!

I am experiencing the same thing as you. I've been stamping three years. The first year I bought like crazy and I was handling the checkbook so my DH didn't really know how much I spent. Then he got an offer to retire early, took the offer, and he then took over the checkbook and decided we needed a stricter budget.

I do not want to be the cause of him having to go back to work so I have had to severely reduce my spending. So... I find myself in the same situation as you. I could spend money on clothes, jewelry, my highlights, or I could buy stamps! I have chosen the stamps and find they bring me more fulfillment.

I never thought in a MILLION YEARS I would buy my clothes at cheap places and buy them much less often, but that's what I'm doing. The hair still gets done but less frequently and at a much cheaper place. No expensive eye creams, no new perfumes, and no new jewelry. And you know what? As Dr. Phil says, "It's workin' for me!"

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2007, 11:29 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 86 Likes on 38 Posts

I've never been really high maintenance, but I am different since stamping too. It's been 12 years, and I'm very happy with my hobby. My husband has a very time-consuming and rather expensive hobby (hang gliding), and stamping brings me fulfillment. My kids all got married within the last two years -- a real shocker on the home, I tell you. Stamping really got me through that too! My hair is white, but it's kinda nice. I get a lot of compliments on it and I don't have to do anything color-wise. I would prefer to stamp than buy expensive purses and clothes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2007, 12:13 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I do not consider myself *high-maintenance* anymore (that was BEFORE kids, LOL!) but I was introduced to spa-pedicures a year ago by some well-meaning friends and now I don't go more than 4-6 weeks between... my skincare/makeup is all-natural (Burt's Bee's and Kiss My Face) so not super-expensive, I hardly wear fragrance anymore, and do not buy expensive clothes so I can have more $$$ for stamping stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2007, 02:10 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Default Pamper yourself

I think you are doing the right thing. Make yourself happy because no one else will. LOL!!!! I got divorced and went back to college to become an RN. I was divorced 11 years and thought I would never marry again. I was picker the second time around and now I have a wonderful husband of 16 years. I would splurge and get your hair done. I always feel better about myself when I get a haircut and look spiffy.

Take care and happy stmaping,

Vivian Swain
My SU Web Site
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2007, 02:20 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I am the oddball here, I am not a big shopper as far as clothes, etc. I hate shoe and purse shopping and only do it when I need to. If I find a pair of sneakers that I like, I buy two pairs so I have a back up. (I wear sneakers all of the time with my job and my own time.) We just started a dress code of certain colors at work so that also helps. I now have plenty of clothes that I can't wear to work. I have also found that the older I get, the less makeup. But, the lotion I use has helped my complexion so I can get away with it for now. My issues with spending are on my children, husband, and books and stamping things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2007, 04:07 AM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Musing on priorities

LOL! What a great thread! It was mostly having children that changed my beauty care and clothing buying. I used to love to shop for clothes and shoes and makeup, and now I'm all about convenience and speed.

I was thinking the other day that we have a lovely house that's decorated in Early Modern Attic 'cause both dh and I have expensive hobbies (he does triathlon, photography, and cooking, and we both spend tons on books). We pay attention to saving for retirement and kids' college funds, live in a great neighborhood because the schools are outstanding, and drive dependable cars, so that only leaves so much spend. I'd rather we DO what we love than be able to impress people with gorgeous furniture and expensive draperies or knick-knacks. Of course, there's nothing wrong with those things at all--or with wanting and enjoying them, either--but when resources are limited, all people must prioritize for themselves or they can get in serious financial trouble "having it all," LOL!

So in my humble and irrelevant opinion, Sherry, as long as you're decently dressed and presentably groomed, pay your bills, and eat good food, what you do with the left-overs is entirely up to you, and there's not a thing wrong with changing your priorities for a newfound hobby. Besides, do you want to find a man who loves you for your clothes and makeup, or for your obvious stamping talent and dazzling personality?:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2007, 06:57 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

Whenever I used to get a gift of cash, I immediately started thinking in terms of what clothes I could buy with it. Now that I stamp, if I get a gift of cash I think, "Wow! What stamps/accessories can I buy with this?" LOL

I've never been one to spend a lot on clothes, shoes, purses, etc. because we've never had a lot of extra cash. BUT my spending HAS changed!!! It's stamps for me now!
TAC Demonstrator #1484/Manager, Smilin' Stampers
My TAC Site My BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2007, 07:03 AM   #19  
Embossing Fanatic

Default You fit right in here! A lot of us are so addicted to

stamping that we would rather spend our money on stamping supplies than on clothes. I can't afford to do both. I'd rather have a new rubber stamp than new clothes.

Kimastamperholic
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2007, 07:13 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You are not crazy at all! I do the same thing - think "how many stamp sets can I buy with this money?" I go without eating out. We used to eat out at semi-expensive restaurants all the time. Now DH has learned to cook and we just eat at home.

I've not paid for a haircut in years. I cut my own hair (just a straight cut; I don't know how to layer). I only wear make-up maybe twice a year. I only have two pairs of shoes, and the second pair is a costume Renaissance pair of boots, so ...I really only have one functional pair. I only go shopping for clothes when something needs to be replaced, because I can't stand clothes/shoes shopping. DH has to drag me to the stores, and I usually buy the first thing that fits, regardless of cost, just to shorten the misery of clothes shopping. So...I guess I really don't save any money there, since I don't hunt for bargains.

I tried to do Mary Kay for a while, but couldn't keep up with it. Now I just use Dove and Panteen in the shower. I went to get my nails done once, and paid very close attention to the tools and things that she did with them, and then I went next door to Target and bought the tools and have been doing them myself ever since (just the cuticles though - no polish. I wear gloves at work anyway so no one would see).

But I am so uptight that I debate myself with craft stuff too - Primas or more stamps? Marvy punches or more stamps? Etc.

Definitely if I could afford it I would get haircuts and colour my hair and be high maintenance all the way! I'd hire my own seamstress so I'd never have to shop for clothes again. AND I would buy all the stamping stuff I want - but then there'd be nothing left for any of you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2007, 07:13 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

I just decided this weekend to quit getting my nails done. That frees up about $30 every three weeks. While I like the look of the white tips, I also like being able to TYPE without hitting the wrong keys by accident. ;) My nails are so weak without fake nails that I can't wear nail polish for more than maybe an hour before it starts flaking off. And... now I can stamp without worrying about getting permanent ink on my nails. I do have a pair of those Procraft Gloves that I wear when I'm indexing my unmounted stamps.

Anyhow, back to the Original Topic.... If there is something that I really want to get, I do sometimes weigh my options on what I WANT to buy versus what I NEED to buy. I won't forgo hair or makeup products as to ME, that's a necessity. Stamping magazines? That's a want, but I either talk myself out of them (because of the SCS galleries) or I make sure I use a 40% off coupon. Actually pretty much everything I buy has to be on sale so that I don't feel so guilty buying something I honestly don't NEED to survive.

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2007, 08:44 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 431 Likes on 164 Posts

Sherry, I took a look at your gallery too, and glad you've turned your flair for good design and pretty colors to stamping. Your stamping will also bring much joy to others with whom you share your creations. I spend my extra money on papers, stamps, and embellishments. I probably give up buying as many clothes or traveling as much as my friends do. But, I'm doing what I love and that is much more important to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2007, 08:46 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

I think our systems need soemthing else to destress ourselves with, and that for me is SCS and stamping, everyone has their addictions and priorities.
I should have different priorities but this is the way it is now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2007, 09:50 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

LOL< I had to giggle when I read this. It is so me too. But, like a pp I think my big high maintenance change occured when I had DD. I absolutly hate shopping now. I will go buy makeup because I need it, but not for fun anymore. I don't have time to play around at the counter and try colors or skin care products. Clothing & accesories- forget it. I think my last haircut was in December.. I am planning on doing that soon tho- not because I want to. BUT- I pick up my SU catty or TAC catty and have fun picking out new toys. I so don't understand it, but it's working for me too.

MY BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2007, 12:31 PM   #25  
Kookie Creator

Sherry - love your cards, they are gorgeous!

I too have always been a high maintenance gal with clothes, makeup, shoes, purses, hair products. These past few yrs I have cut back on all of these things and realize I didn't need half of them...did I really need 10-15 eyeshadows, 15 purses and 25 pairs of shoes???? Nope. But I do need 10-15 new stamp sets, 15 new colors of cardstock and 25 new sets of flowers LOL!

I don't spend as much time in the mall anymore....because there's no scrap store there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2007, 01:21 PM   #26  
Embossing Fanatic

OMG I can totally relate to this. Ever been out on a crummy date and think - gee I could be home stamping right now instead of listening to this guy go on and on about his SUV/golf score/mother. I too was letting myself go a bit. My friends finally told me I really needed to get some new clothes because I was looking a little ragged. I'm now putting off getting my hair colored so I can buy all the retiring items I want from the 2007 catalog. Oh what have you done to me SU?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2007, 01:56 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

You girls are all too funny..lol..I don't think i will ever change.
I don't get pedicures or go for nails.. I like to get my hand's in the dirt when gardening.. and go bare feet..but i do look after my hands and feet myself..i scrape and pumice and lather my feet with creams..especially after a day in my gardens. Also before going for my physical (which is tomorrow) you know those pap smears..lol.. i always say to my doctor..hey did you notice i painted my toes.?.lol..
loves ya

When the world says give up, hope whispers, try one more time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2007, 02:09 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh I love this thread....too funny! I used to be "appearance minded" but no more....my stamp addiction has taken over. I do color my hair, buy Mary Kay religiously and try to keep plucked and shaved (LOL!) but as for the wardrobe, it's GONE. I'm a SAHM so I don't need the classy work clothes, I don't like to wear heels anymore as I'm 5'9" and have tortured myself enough for fashion. What's my favorite outfit? A really comfy pair of sweats and a T-shirt I don't mind getting ink on, lol.

My best friend is a fashion plate so it's tough sometimes but I just don't want to spend $$ on designer duds I only wear a couple times when I could buy STAMPS!

Fun thread, thanks for the laughs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2007, 06:24 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am so glad I am not alone! I haven't let myself go completely...but I have truly been wondering if I am heading there. Stamps really do give me so much joy. When I buy an outfit it makes me feel good the first time or two I wear it and then the "high" from new clothes is over. When I stamp I get joy and I love to learn new things- and I am learning alot. I have been trying some new techniques just this past week. My results aren't always good but I have enjoyed trying them!! And SCS is a life saver for me. The galleries, the forums- it's so much fun.

Fortunately, last time I got my hair colored I went darker (back to my natural color) and it colored my highlights so I don't have any "roots." But it's kind of dull and needs a lift. It also needs to be re-shaped. I will go- I promise.....but after I see the new SU catty!! LOL! I get a pedicure every now and then but mostly I do it myself. I have found that my natural nails are easier to keep if I don't polish them. In fact, I had to cut them down yesterday because they were too long! I work for a trucking company so honestly, wearing nice, trendy clothes doesn't do me any good. I could wear something from 1985 and they wouldn't know the difference. But I still try to look nice for me. I just try to do it in clothes I already own. (from the past couple years- not the 80's!!)

It is just funny how I can think twice about buying an outfit but I went crazy over ribbon and dp and PRIMAS!! The sad part is- I haven't had time to use it yet....but I will.

Thanks for the laughs. You guys are great!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2007, 06:48 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

I have a purse/bag obsession... not really anymore though!! I can't remember that last time I bought a bag... well over a year!! I save my spending cash for stamps and accessories!! I'm even getting ready to sell some of my bags on E-bay and the money will go to stamping I'm sure!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2007, 06:49 PM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

Love your gallery too
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2007, 06:57 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by laurafjvView Post
Love your gallery too
Thank you!! I don't feel "worthy" to post my cards sometimes on this site because there is so much talent....but I learn a lot from everyone else on here so hopefully as I grow someone might be able to learn something from me?? Maybe.

And I have sold all my Coach bags on ebay already. I am currently carrying a Vera Bradley bag- but it is "borrowed" from my friend. I love it though and I am secretly hoping she never wants it back. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2007, 07:10 PM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

I know what you mean about the gallery... I am thinking of starting one but have the same feeling that my cards "aren't worthy" I guess alot of people feel that way. We are probably our own worst critics!!

I love Vera Bradley bags... I had one that was falling apart but luckily my sister in law is my supplier and gives me bags as birthday gifts
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2007, 07:12 PM   #34  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you Sharry for the awesome post. I was so laughing and picturing myself when I read it!! I used to "collect" Bare Essentials, and have enough to last me several lifetimes (umm, we're talking around 200 eyeshadows). Luckily my collection obsession has now moved to stamping! Or maybe that is unlucky, cause it sure does cost me even more - lol!

{My Gallery}
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2007, 04:55 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by laurafjvView Post
I know what you mean about the gallery... I am thinking of starting one but have the same feeling that my cards "aren't worthy" I guess alot of people feel that way. We are probably our own worst critics!!

I love Vera Bradley bags... I had one that was falling apart but luckily my sister in law is my supplier and gives me bags as birthday gifts

PLEASE start a gallery! I am sure your cards are great- especially if you spend any amount of time on here- I think it just rubs off on you! I always wonder if my cards are good enough- BUT think about it like this- if a beginning stamper comes on here they will look at let's say Cindy Haffner's gallery they might be like, "Oh I could never do that..." (I am pretty much saying that to myself now....) but a less advanced stamper might inspire them and make them think, "I can do it!" So there are all levels of stampers and inspiration.

And that way- we can hook more people into our addiction so there will be more people running around with stamps and less people running around with designer bags and we won't feel so bad that we don't have them. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2007, 04:59 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksaegerView Post
Thank you Sharry for the awesome post. I was so laughing and picturing myself when I read it!! I used to "collect" Bare Essentials, and have enough to last me several lifetimes (umm, we're talking around 200 eyeshadows). Luckily my collection obsession has now moved to stamping! Or maybe that is unlucky, cause it sure does cost me even more - lol!
I LOVE Bare Essentials! And the funny thing is- that is one thing I am putting off buying because I spent too much money on stamps!! I have need my mineral veil and foundation and "warmth" for quite some time now but since the only store that has it around here is about 45 minutes away so I don't have time to jsut 'pop in' and get what I want. So I bought some Maybelline to tide me over and now I'm like....hmmm....I still have some Maybelline left- I can spend the money on ribbon and paper this week and get it next week. Problem is-I keep saying that week after week! Oh well. But you should see my ribbon stash!!
Reply With Quote Likes