Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-09-2006, 06:55 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dry embossing???

ok i got the light board (table.. lit from behind thing) and I got some of those really cool brass embossing things.. I cannot see through the cardstock to emboss it. How do you dry emboss the really great Su PAPERS if you can;t see through them with the really cool lit up thing?? Make sense?? HELP! I love the look but cannot figure this out! Is it me?? Thanks!!

love to stamp...love my kids....love to stamp my kids
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2006, 07:45 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

First, I've got to ask...what kind of light board did you get? Sometimes that makes a difference...where these are concerned you get what you pay for. It helps w/ darker CS to turn all lights off in the room/close curtains and only use the light source from the light table. Also, sometimes you just kind of have to go by "feel"...find a starting point, start embossing, and your tool will just follow the line of the stencil (this takes some practice). HTH.

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2006, 08:27 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

I hav enoticed that most SU darker paper you cannot use the light table on. Never shows through. I find that you have to have a really birght day and then use a window and even then sometimes that does not work. SU just has to thick of paper. I use Michaels paper for dry embossing. By the way if you have a plastic light table don't use a brighter bulb - from experience it will melt the table surface.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinwyoming
First, I've got to ask...what kind of light board did you get? Sometimes that makes a difference...where these are concerned you get what you pay for. It helps w/ darker CS to turn all lights off in the room/close curtains and only use the light source from the light table. Also, sometimes you just kind of have to go by "feel"...find a starting point, start embossing, and your tool will just follow the line of the stencil (this takes some practice). HTH.

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2006, 11:10 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

I say this on the scrapbooking show, Using all SU products, place brass template on cardstock as you want it to appear, flip paper over and just run stylus over the image you want this will give you a rough outline and then you just rub with stylus to get a more detailed image. No light table required.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2006, 11:20 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 86 Likes on 38 Posts

I use Lasting Impressions paper, which I can easily find in craft stores, for this. It's made for this. Gay Howe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2006, 10:37 AM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

i have the SU! light board. its really cool..but yes! The SU! paper is way too thick. i have tried other papers and it does work great with michaels paper...but i really like the su! colors. I thought about tracing the outline with a versamark pen and then slipping the metal thing (i'm getting old..I can't remember words for things anymore! Yeesh!) underneath. DO you think that would work?? Maybe use the aqua painter pen?? would it dry up and disappear??

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2006, 10:41 AM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

"I say this on the scrapbooking show, Using all SU products, place brass template on cardstock as you want it to appear, flip paper over and just run stylus over the image you want this will give you a rough outline and then you just rub with stylus to get a more detailed image. No light table required."

i will definitetly try that. does the stylus leave rub marks on the paper??

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2006, 11:10 AM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

Thumbs up embossing on dark paper

What I do is put the stencil on the light table, and stick a sticky note to the stencil and use your stylus to emboss that (the sticky note) first. Then pull up the edge of the sticky note, without removing the sticky part of the paper, and slip your dark paper underneath the sticky note. Now you have an exact pattern to follow on the stylus. Does this make sense? It always works for me and I don't have to buy special paper. But I do love the lasting impressions paper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2006, 04:03 PM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aunt B
What I do is put the stencil on the light table, and stick a sticky note to the stencil and use your stylus to emboss that (the sticky note) first. Then pull up the edge of the sticky note, without removing the sticky part of the paper, and slip your dark paper underneath the sticky note. Now you have an exact pattern to follow on the stylus. Does this make sense? It always works for me and I don't have to buy special paper. But I do love the lasting impressions paper!
kool!!! i will definitely try that too! Thanks for all these great suggestions!!

Reply With Quote Likes