Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-31-2004, 05:25 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm from Norfolk VA!

I live in the Hampton Roads area (Virginia Beach/Chesapeake/Portsmouth). My demo has said there are local meetings for demos on occasion, but ... I'd like to meet some people BEFORE I sign up!

And it's funny how many people are "into" SU -- I was telling a friend of mine at work that I was thinking of signing up (they already know I'm a scrapbooker), and she said, My MOM is a Stampin' Up DEALER!

Unfortunately, her mom lives in ... Minnesota!

You guys are so friendly! Thanks for all the help!

-- Heather
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2004, 06:32 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi,

I'm in Richmond, VA and will be getting my starter kit on Monday!!! My upline is in MD and I don't know of any meetings in the area, but I'm around if you want to chat.

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2004, 07:53 PM   #3  
Glitter Queen

I'm in Salem, VA. I'm not a demo, just a huge collector!

Dianne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2004, 08:37 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Thanks, guys!

I grew up west of Richmond (in Powhatan), and I know where Salem is ... near Roanoke! I lived for a while in Lynchburg. I'm a TOTAL VIRGINIAN! Never lived anywhere else!

From the looks of things, I'm guessing there are some SU folks out there -- I wonder if there is a regional meeting or anything like that?

-- Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2004, 08:39 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default P.S. -- Jennifer, lucky you!!

I can't *wait* to sign up! Right now I'm just biding my time till I get the funds to get the kit. I'm thinking it'll be mid-month. NOT SOON ENOUGH!
:P

-- Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2004, 09:55 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Welcome Heather! When I signed up to be a demo, I lived in Chesapeake. There are quite a few very talented ladies in your area - you are lucky to be getting into the "group" there. Best of luck!

Karen

BLINGO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2004, 09:58 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Thanks, Karen!

I'm guessing from your location that you moved to Japan due to a Navy transfer. How do you like it there? Any stampers???

-- Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2004, 10:23 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Actually Marine Corps, and yes, lots of stampers. When I was in Hampton Roads I didn't have any downline, never pushed it, was busy with kids and work. I have 7 directs now and am a "grandma" a couple of times over also. I absolutely love it here - except right now I'm bumming 'cuz my DH, DD and DS just left on a flight to Hawaii for a week, but I couldn't get time off from work!!

Karen

BLINGO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2004, 06:00 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default That is a bummer!!!!!

On the bright side, you have lots of time for stamping ... right???

Thanks so much for emailing me!

-- Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2004, 06:58 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Default Re: Thanks, guys!

[quote="readsomething"]I grew up west of Richmond (in Powhatan), and I know where Salem is ... near Roanoke! I lived for a while in Lynchburg. I'm a TOTAL VIRGINIAN! Never lived anywhere else!

I grew up in Chesterfield, my parents actually still live in the house they moved into when I was 6 yrs. old. I miss Richmond ALOT! I went to VCU and loved living down town. I am actually going to visit my parents next weekend.

Tracy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2004, 07:04 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Tracy! That's so cool!

I went to college at JMU in Harrisonburg. So I've never lived out of state! And until college, I'd never TRAVELED out of state, unless you count Nags Head -- which is practically in Virginia, lol!

I used to hang out in Carytown in high school and college. My friends and I would go to the Byrd theater a lot.

It is so cool to "meet" people here!

-- Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2004, 10:30 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Default High school

readsomething,
What high school did you go to? I went to Bird HS and graduated in 94 (man do I feel old lol)
I love Carytown! I take my family there every chance we get. My kids love going to Maymont.
Very cool to meet someone from "home"
Tracy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2004, 11:26 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Tracy,

I went to Powhatan High School. It was OK -- I had some really good teachers. I really prefer to live in a more urban setting, though. When DH and I were looking at houses here in Norfolk a few years ago, I insisted that wherever we moved, the neighborhood HAD to have sidewalks! That was my way of making sure that we didn't live out in the middle of NOWHERE!

I graduated from high school in ... 1986! So there!

-- Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2004, 11:43 AM   #14  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 320 Likes on 165 Posts

Heather (readsomething) I signed up while living in Virginia Beach, in the Kempsville area. There is a HUGE group of stampers there, and they would also welcome you to one of their monthly meetings. Not everyone likes that, so it's nice to know there's a group there you could meet and mingle with while you're saving up funds! I'm sending you a PM with my email, if you'd like to get in touch with some. They are fantastic stampers, and I just got back from attending Convention with them. I miss people there, but the military has been good to us

Debbi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2004, 11:44 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Skype™ to neverenuffstamps

Hi Heather,

I grew up in Virginia Beach and went to William & Mary for college. I can't help you with any demos in the Hampton Roads area, because I live in California now. I just had to chime in with my Virginia connection! Have fun with Stampin' Up! I just joined up as a demo last October and attended my first convention this year. I'm having so much fun with it!

Jane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2004, 11:47 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Debbi (NavyWyf)...I just saw your post. I met you at convention, and I just posted about growing up in Va. Beach. I went to Kempsville High. I guess I could be NavyKid, since my dad was a career Navy guy!

Jane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2004, 11:55 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am having such a blast meeting all of you!

Tracy, growing up in Richmond, I hung out at Maymont A LOT, too. I went to many a concert/event at Dogwood Dell -- is that still there? I'd love to take my daughter there! I love outdoor theaters. And the Dooley Mansion, WOW. I went once to the Christmas tour. WOW.

This has been so much fun.

I have a question about convention for all of you in the know -- is it always in Florida, or does the site change? DH is really chomping at the bit to take our daughter to Disney, but she's only 18 months old!!! However, by next year ... MAYBE .... !!!

-- Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2004, 11:57 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Hi Heather,

I live in VA Beach and would be happy to help you in anyway posible. Send me a pm with you info and I would be happy to call you and chat with you about local meetings

Seijra
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2004, 11:57 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to Beate

Hi girls,

I lived in Bethel Manor....a housing area from Langley AFB for two years. It's close to Newport News. Lucas was born there. I loved the area. Had a lot of fun and good friends there.
Rick is in Norfolk right now, going to school until the end of September. We really enjoyed our stay there.

Hugs and smiles.

my gallery - my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2004, 12:13 PM   #20  

Neverenuffstamps - I was just thinking as I read your post, you NEED an avatar because I remember you at Convention, and it would be so nice to "see" you online! I met several people in Orlando that I knew by name on here, but without a face, I'll have everyone's face and name muddled by the end of the year. I didn't know you were in Va Beach, how funny would it be if we'd passed on the street or chatted in Food Lion some time, and don't remember it now???

Beate, I know EXACTLY where Bethel Manor is!! When I was in the Navy, my best friend (and barracks roommate!) had a boyfriend who lived down there. We spent many weekends going back and forth through the tunnel!! It's so cool seeing people here that are familiar with "home" for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2004, 12:20 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Norfolk, Virginia

I can't help you with Demo meetings...but just thought I like to say I lived in the area...

I grew up Chesapeake Beach...just four blocks away from the bridge tunnel...Actually, now it is Virginia Beach...I graduated from Princess Anne High School...It is probably not even there now...Not a military family...my father worked for the Ford Motor Company. I did marry a military man and after the military time we moved to Denver...I am now in Albuquerque, NM. Still have family in the Otter Banks and in Wilson NC.

I do miss the water, seafood, greenery and our wonderful accent.

Just wanted to chitt-chit-chat about the area.

INKredibly,
Carolyn Lowe

O.K. ...I graduated in 1963 from Princess Anne...that's why I expect it not to be there at all.

"INKredible Girlfriends"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2004, 12:25 PM   #22  

Carolyn, LOL, Princess Anne HS is still there!! I know several gradutaes from the school, and have been there once for a visit. Is the area you are talking about in Willoughby Spit? Or are you talking about the Chick's Beach area (by Great Neck and the Amphib. Base?) Just curious!! It has changed a LOT from the 60's. When I arrived at Dam Neck Naval Base in 1986, they all kept telling me what a "developed" area it was because of the two grocery stores and a Wendy's nearby. When most of the people I worked with got there just a few years before, it was all woods. By the time I left, it was completely covered with stores and more stores and restaurants! It really felt pretty remote back in 1986, but was very clustered by 2004.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2004, 01:33 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Hey, Navy WFY..I am speaking of the "Chicks" Beach area...I lived on Lake Bradford...you could see Little Creek from our dock. When I grew up "Chicks" was the local hotdog stand on the beach...the only thing there...Just a hand out for all of us...In fact...when my first husband was in the Navy he rented a room in back of the Hotdog stand...because it was closed for the winter...Mr. and Mrs. Chick lived in a house just down the road from the beach..He and his roommate always moved in the summer..I know that area has changed...I left in 1972...I then lived out by Virginia Beach Hospt. Worked there for awhile and delivered my second child there...I did live at Willoghby Spit area when we first got married...we rented a furnished apt. at a house on the beach side...Yhis world is really small...The Chesapeake Beach area was Princess Anne County until I think somewhere in the late 60's or early 70's...Haven't been back since 74...You know wehen I visit the NC coast I just don't want to go back to beach...I want my childhood memories not to be of mass building and stark changes...I have such fond memories of that area...I lived in the same house from birth until marriage...After moving to Albub. got degree and became a teacher...now I am retired at a early age...I am widowed...Have DD 40...DS35...DD29...and four grandchildren and a grandpuppy(Montgomery)...West Highland Terrier...that adores MeMaw...

The DD 29 and her husband just started to try the having children thing.
She is a Speech Pathologist and Ms plus degree took 8 yrs. plus her medical training...so the decided to wait until near 30...all children are here...and I Stamp...Stamp...Stamp...and procrastinate...since everyday is like a Saturday when you retire...thanks for the VB news.

LOL

INKredibly,
Carolyn
[email protected]

"INKredible Girlfriends"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2004, 01:52 PM   #24  

Oh, Gosh, Carolyn, you KNOW Mr and Mrs Chick! I always wondered if they named the beach "Chicks Beach" because of all the bikini clad girls!! LOL! It's such a trendy spot to "play" on a Saturday for the 20-something crowd (of which I am, sadly, no longer a member!) When I was falling in love with my husband (yes, that long ago!) we had a coworker who had a speedboat and took us out on the ocean often. We waterskiid, cooked out on the beach, swam, all kinds of things. He use to put the boat in by Rudy Inlet, but we'd pull in to make lunch or swim at the State Park or Chick's Beach. What fun memories!! I am also glad to hear every day is Saturday after retirement, lol! My DH is almost at his 20 year mark. We are obligated until his 24th year, and after that, who knows?? It's a good thing, I think, to keep those childhood memories cherished. There were some GOOD city changes that Va B. made while we were there, but it was getting congested in some other areas. I still love the area, but the price of housing is SO expensive, we proably won't be able to afford to move back there! Our church group made annual trips to the NC coast, just over the line to the Nags Head area and we usually rented one of those coastal homes with about 7 bedrooms. Such a BEAUTIFUL place!! Nice to meet you
Debbi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2004, 02:02 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Debbi...It has been great speaking with you...when in need of Va.Beach...Nawf_ck area history... as we pronouned Norfolk...the local way...just give me a shout.

I usaually spend my time between Nagshead, Orkacoke Island, Belhaven and Myrtle Beach when I do summer visits...

Have a great week.

INKredibly
Carolyn

"INKredible Girlfriends"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2004, 03:03 PM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Heather-Nice to meet you! I am not a demo but live in VA Beach so it's been so fun to read posts from so many people from this area. I have connections with sevearl demos and have heard some great things about their meetings. Debbi is SO right about cost of housing here-it is insane! But I still do love it here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2004, 04:34 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yeah!!! I'm another Hamptons Road Gal! I LOVE it here! My husband and I just bought our first house and I'm hoping to stay a good long while!
It's amazing that I could be running into so many of you at Food Lion or Farm Fresh. Maybe we should get SCS pins for everyday wear?

Heather, you asked about Dogwood Dell in Richmond. Yep, it's still there. I did a service project doing a big clean up there last summer with some kids from my church. It's beautiful there! Perfect place for a summer concert!

Go Virginia!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2004, 04:54 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow, I had no idea there were so many current and former Hampton Roads peeps on this site! Home-home (a term from my college days at UVA!) for me is Portsmouth, but I'm in Savannah, GA right now for grad school.

Jane, I'm just curious -- when were you at William and Mary?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2004, 05:43 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Row4d, that's awesome! What are you studying? And where? I worked in Portsmouth, at the Virginian-Pilot office, for a while, when I was editor of the Currents, the local community news section. I love that city -- except that when it rains, most of downtown and Olde Towne are under water!!!

I've always wanted to visit Savannah -- we nearly went there for our honeymoon, but I picked Charleston instead. I just love visiting cities with lots of history. I have a list of U.S. cities that I want to see, and Savannah and Atlanta are definitely on it.

A good friend of mine went to William & Mary -- she graduated in '89.

And I am soooo glad about Dogwood Dell! DH and I have got to get there sometime soon with our daughter. That, and Maymont. It would be like a blast from the past for me!

-- Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2004, 05:37 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm going for my MFA in interior design at the Savannah College of Art and Design. Right now I'm on track to graduate in November of 2005 -- and I think my boyfriend is even more excited about that date coming quickly than I am!

Well, there's no way your friend would have run into my sister on campus at W&M, since she was there from 1998-2003.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2004, 05:42 AM   #31  
Mad Swapper

grew up west of Richmond (in Powhatan), and I know where Salem is ... near Roanoke! I lived for a while in Lynchburg. I'm a TOTAL VIRGINIAN! Never lived anywhere else! [/size][/size]

what part of Powhatan?? thats where i used to live and i moved to this area to live with my hubby....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2004, 09:39 PM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh, I'm having so much fun hearing about my hometown! Carolyn Lowe, thanks for the history lesson on Chicks Beach! I never knew why it had that name, even though I lived in Va. Beach from kindergarten through high school, and then a few years after college. It so much more fun to reminisce than to go clean my kitchen, like I should be doing! I love Nags Head too. Haven't been in a long time, but we used to go there at the end of every year of college.

Debbi (Navy Wyf)...I will have to work on an avatar! I have been so busy since convention that I haven't had a minute to figure that out. We will be moving to South Carolina as soon as we can get our house on the market and sold. I'm going to love being back in the East Coast. I love those beaches! Beaches you can actually swim in! (The beaches here in N. CA are beautiful, but COLD!) Although I know it will be tough getting used to the humidity again after living in Albuquerque and the Sacramento area for the last 13 years! (Carolyn Lowe, another thing we have in common! I really miss that NM green chile!) Debbi where do you live in Florida (what big city is it near?) My sister lives in Palm Harbor, so if you're close maybe sometime after I move to SC we could meet and stamp!

row4d, I was at William & Mary from the Fall of '82 until the Spring of '86. Good to hear from another Virginian!

Have a great night!
Jane
Reply With Quote Likes