Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-30-2010, 09:28 AM   #161  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogzrulecaView Post
I make more cards than scrapbook pages and hate to cut up a whole sheet for a tiny piece to make a card, so I don't use the B&T paper much...
I take 12x12 decorative paper and cut it in 6ths...trim it to 10 1/2", then cut it in half (the 11" side) and 4" sections so I have 6 - 5.25" x 4" pages. This is just 1/4" smaller than a card. Then I use my cardstock base (white or cream or occasionally a colour) and do something on the outside to "frame" the paper (sponge or stamp or sometimes just even leave it blank) and build my card on the DP. That way I get 6 cards out of one sheet and you aren't using a tiny piece on just one card.

If you don't want 6 cards (I use a lot of them for swaps that require 4 or 5 or 6 cards) you can always donate them to a local shelter, Ronald McDonald House, old folks home, hospice, child care center, etc. for the residents, guests or staff to use! I even keep a small stack at work for people to "buy" from me and use the proceeds to buy supplies for my RMD house cards They (cards) also make great gifts, especially if you make an A2 box to put them in.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 09:31 AM   #162  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julie in IndyView Post
I'm pretty careful with my purchases so I don't think I need to consider it an addiction.

Am I in denial?

LOL

p.s. has anyone ever considered something akin to Stamp to Spend, but instead made it "exercise to spend"? I was wondering if that would entice me to get to the gym more frequently. Maybe I could allot myself points when I get in the necessary activity and accumulate points that would allow me to buy another stamp set or something?? Just thinking...
Some of the people doing S2S include exercise and lbs lost as part of their "payment grid"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #163  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think it is Barbara who asked if joining a CTMH club is a good idea. I'm a SU demo and have had clubs for 8 1/2 years. My customers would say definitely YES. Focuses you on product, budgets you for the long run, and keeps you from going crazy buying other products.[or at least not as much] You know that everything matches.

You also make friends with other people who have the same creative interests as you. You meet, create, and enjoy fellowship. Do it!

As far as freezing my purchases, no, I'll buy to demonstrate. What I do need to do is create more for fun, not only for clubs and classes.

New Year's hugs,
Stasia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 10:23 AM   #164  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
However, vowing to only buying adhesives for a year is like expecting to stay on a diet of crackers and water. It aint going to work!!

I think a better idea is to set "realistic goals" of what you can do and only buy things that fit those goals. Or find people to share stamping with to ease the loneliness so buying isn't used as a substitute for human contact.
Sort through your stuff and keep what fits your "new realistic goals" and put the rest in a garage sale.

Don't beat yourself up because you can't get anything near what you paid for this stuff. You can't get anything near what you paid for household items either. You are selling this stuff because although it filled a need in your life in the past now you have a new more realistic direction for your life.

Just my 2� worth
Barbara Jay
All very true, I think.Thank you for the insight. Moderation with a more "realistic approach" to this is probably a constructive solution to this predicament which will provide more opportunity for success. Finding that balance is NOT going to be easy, I'm sure--in my case.

Each person here needs to decide for themselves individually what the answer is for them regarding their craft spending. And I, am in no place to judge, one way or another.

I appreciate "this forum" where I feel comfortable and supported to discuss this issue.

Thank you all!

Last edited by Bellegirl; 12-30-2010 at 10:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 10:30 AM   #165  
Stampin' Fool

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I *wanted* to quit but I can't since I just join the SU family. With the discount I can't stop buying!! But I will try my best to buy things I really need and use up the stuff before buying more... (wishful thinking!)
Card for a Cause / RMH Swap
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 10:57 AM   #166  
Kookie Creator

Well, I too want to spend less, but the new SU Occasions Mini is beckoning as well as SAB

I started 2 spend on my own back when I started stamping. I count $2 per card. I send cards to the ladies in the church. Right now I am $515 in the black. I did send 130 cards to Operation Write Home last summer. I need to do that again.

My biggest problem is the time I spend online that I could be stamping.

I am subscribing to this thread to remind me to stay out of the stores and let the coupons go by. I also rarely buy online and plan not to do any of that.

I like the idea that when you just shop at home you get more creative. I really need to try that. My creativity is stale right now.

I just started getting together with one other lady who wants to get more stamping done. We meet once a week. I work on what I have unfinished and she brings supplies to make something that she saw the week before of mine that she wants to make. Then she makes four or so cards. This seems to be working out.

Hang in there everyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #167  
Stazon Splitcoast

12 Step to organizing your space

12: Do not buy any craft related item (other than adhesive IF and ONLY if you run out – this includes strip tape, dots, etc.) for 45 days (think “lent”) or until step 11 is done (whichever comes LAST! you’re your room is clean before the 45 days is up you still have to wait 45 days, but if it takes you 60 days to clean your room you have to not buy anything for the whole 2 months (if you are really honestly seriously in need of something for a project you are ACTUALLY WORKING ON you can get it but nothing else)

11: CLEAN your room.
Get a bunch of boxes. On the outside mark (use a blank piece of “typing (computer) paper” and tape to outside if there’s no room to write on box) what it is for:
11x8 � paper
12x12 paper
6x6 paper
Stamp sets
“stray” stamps (from sets)
Unmounted/clear stamps
Rhinestones
Eyelets
Brads
Stickers
Ink
Adhesive
Die cuts
Punches
(use whatever catagories you need – and only ONE THING PER BOX!!!!!)
Inventory what you have (okay if you really don’t have a notebook buy one but really do ANY of us have NO notebooks, note pads, writing tablets, LAPTOP?)

10: Go through each box and start give, sell, trade, pitch boxes (DO NOT do this while sorting, it takes too long and it becomes a way to not organize! – if you watch the programs you will see they do the same thing – sort first, then purge). Anything you intend to throw away, stop and pause and consider donating it to your local kindergarten or HeadStart/Great Start program (contact the school district for contact numbers) – 2, 3 and 4 year olds love flat stickers, paste, cheap paper, etc. 

9: Actually get rid of your “get rid of stuff” from #10. Take your “give” boxes around to your friends, family, groups and present them freely to take what they want! NO takebacks (unless you really honestly really think you need it back). Pitch your pitch stuff (or like I said take it to Headstart or someone… if you don’t find one in your area send it to me!! ) Trade your trade stuff (there are forums on here to trade unwanted stuff). Put your sell stuff with your garage sale items or to your local store or ebay it, whatever. Just do it!

8: Go through the stamp boxes, one at a time, and make sure they are clean (unless you are good about cleaning them and know they are!  - I have a LOT to clean!) There are a lot of ways to sort/store stamps. Find the one you can work with best and go to it! (I start with stamps first because you can create with stamps and nothing else (but ink) so that’s your first go to thing and thus what needs to be sorted first.)
Sort by type: wood mount, clear, unmounted (digis obviously are not included in this process…. If you want to sort your digis do that later so you aren’t distracted from the physical organization.)
Stamps can be sorted into containers, onto plastic sheets, into a shoe box… whatever as long as it works for you. Here’s a trick to seeing clear ones better. Stamp them with momento ink. Don’t clean it for a couple days. Then clean with a wet wipe. It will remain black and you can see the pattern! It still will work fine, but it will be stained with the black ink for visibility 
I like to store them by: holiday (I use the calendar for order); flowers; words; mystical beings; animals; etc. Neatly put back into your “sorting” boxes unless you already have identified, cleaned off space to put them properly.

7: Go through your paper and sort it by size, then color (rainbow) and then design. Use 2gallon ziplocks to store scraps sorted by color in – that way when you need a “scrap” you aren’t sorting through a huge PILE – since the ziplocks you can pick up by the top. Makes it much easier! Use magazine holders (dollar store or you can “steal” the “folder” displays from stores at back to school time!) to hold your regular size paper. You can modify them to make 12x12 holders or use a large priority mail box (obviously one that someone sent you something in since you would never STEAL one from the post office ;) ) and cut a diagonal out of one corner to make a holder. Alter it if you want LATER AFTER you are done organizing your room. Neatly put them back into your “sorting” box.

6: Go through ink. Put them by type, then size, then colour. Use whatever you need to sort them. I have my eyedrop size containers (momento and versamagic chalk) in the lip of a 11x8.5 paper box. I have the regular full size pads in the paper box itself. Use what you have. If you don’t have anything, a ziplock will do for the small ones and rubber band the big ones together or just set neatly into the sorting boxes.

5: Go through each embellishment, punches, magazine, ribbon, etc box and sort like items into snack or sandwich size ziplocks (these baggies and such are for if you don’t already have something to store them in – I’m going with the don’t buy anything theme which includes no buying storage either!) If you want to use cardstock to make cute decorative storage boxes later AFTER you finish great… but for now ziplocks work fine.

4: Take a piece of paper or your computer. Grid paper works best. List what all furniture/storage you have and see what will best fit where. For instance, you do not have to have 12x12 paper holders if you have a bookcase and bookends. Small boxes in drawers make great “dividers”. Think creatively rather than monetarily.

3: One space at a time, start organizing your things back to where the designated area is. LABEL the area, box, shelf, drawer, whatever. For now, using medical tape and a sharpie is good… later you can get fancy but for now just get it done.

2: Once you have everything where it belongs, designate a container to “working” supplies. This should be big enough to put everything you need (within reason… not talking like your cuttlebug machine or such) in when working on a project. Either after each project is done (if you do stuff frequently) or once a week (if your project is done – some people take 2 weeks on a project, some (like me) can do 2 projects in a single night) or when the container if full take the container BEFORE starting the next project and put everything in it away. This container can be a cardboard box… it doesn’t have to be “pretty” or fancy! Remember, we didn’t “buy” anything 

1: Enjoy using and shopping from your nice newly organized space!!! I think that once we see what we have that will be a huge step in not buying more “stuff” just to have it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 11:24 AM   #168  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by darloudashaView Post

12: Do not buy any craft related item (other than adhesive IF and ONLY if you run out � this includes strip tape, dots, etc.) for 45 days (think �lent�) or until step 11 is done (whichever comes LAST! you�re your room is clean before the 45 days is up you still have to wait 45 days, but if it takes you 60 days to clean your room you have to not buy anything for the whole 2 months (if you are really honestly seriously in need of something for a project you are ACTUALLY WORKING ON you can get it but nothing else)

Get a bunch of boxes. On the outside mark (use a blank piece of �typing (computer) paper� and tape to outside if there�s no room to write on box) what it is for:
11x8 � paper
12x12 paper
6x6 paper
Stamp sets
�stray� stamps (from sets)
Unmounted/clear stamps
Rhinestones
Eyelets
Brads
Stickers
Ink
Adhesive
Die cuts
Punches
(use whatever catagories you need � and only ONE THING PER BOX!!!!!)
Inventory what you have (okay if you really don�t have a notebook buy one but really do ANY of us have NO notebooks, note pads, writing tablets, LAPTOP?)

10: Go through each box and start give, sell, trade, pitch boxes (DO NOT do this while sorting, it takes too long and it becomes a way to not organize! � if you watch the programs you will see they do the same thing � sort first, then purge). Anything you intend to throw away, stop and pause and consider donating it to your local kindergarten or HeadStart/Great Start program (contact the school district for contact numbers) � 2, 3 and 4 year olds love flat stickers, paste, cheap paper, etc. 

9: Actually get rid of your �get rid of stuff� from #10. Take your �give� boxes around to your friends, family, groups and present them freely to take what they want! NO takebacks (unless you really honestly really think you need it back). Pitch your pitch stuff (or like I said take it to Headstart or someone� if you don�t find one in your area send it to me!! ) Trade your trade stuff (there are forums on here to trade unwanted stuff). Put your sell stuff with your garage sale items or to your local store or ebay it, whatever. Just do it!

8: Go through the stamp boxes, one at a time, and make sure they are clean (unless you are good about cleaning them and know they are!  - I have a LOT to clean!) There are a lot of ways to sort/store stamps. Find the one you can work with best and go to it! (I start with stamps first because you can create with stamps and nothing else (but ink) so that�s your first go to thing and thus what needs to be sorted first.)
Sort by type: wood mount, clear, unmounted (digis obviously are not included in this process�. If you want to sort your digis do that later so you aren�t distracted from the physical organization.)
Stamps can be sorted into containers, onto plastic sheets, into a shoe box� whatever as long as it works for you. Here�s a trick to seeing clear ones better. Stamp them with momento ink. Don�t clean it for a couple days. Then clean with a wet wipe. It will remain black and you can see the pattern! It still will work fine, but it will be stained with the black ink for visibility 
I like to store them by: holiday (I use the calendar for order); flowers; words; mystical beings; animals; etc. Neatly put back into your �sorting� boxes unless you already have identified, cleaned off space to put them properly.

7: Go through your paper and sort it by size, then color (rainbow) and then design. Use 2gallon ziplocks to store scraps sorted by color in � that way when you need a �scrap� you aren�t sorting through a huge PILE � since the ziplocks you can pick up by the top. Makes it much easier! Use magazine holders (dollar store or you can �steal� the �folder� displays from stores at back to school time!) to hold your regular size paper. You can modify them to make 12x12 holders or use a large priority mail box (obviously one that someone sent you something in since you would never STEAL one from the post office ;) ) and cut a diagonal out of one corner to make a holder. Alter it if you want LATER AFTER you are done organizing your room. Neatly put them back into your �sorting� box.

6: Go through ink. Put them by type, then size, then colour. Use whatever you need to sort them. I have my eyedrop size containers (momento and versamagic chalk) in the lip of a 11x8.5 paper box. I have the regular full size pads in the paper box itself. Use what you have. If you don�t have anything, a ziplock will do for the small ones and rubber band the big ones together or just set neatly into the sorting boxes.

5: Go through each embellishment, punches, magazine, ribbon, etc box and sort like items into snack or sandwich size ziplocks (these baggies and such are for if you don�t already have something to store them in � I�m going with the don�t buy anything theme which includes no buying storage either!) If you want to use cardstock to make cute decorative storage boxes later AFTER you finish great� but for now ziplocks work fine.

4: Take a piece of paper or your computer. Grid paper works best. List what all furniture/storage you have and see what will best fit where. For instance, you do not have to have 12x12 paper holders if you have a bookcase and bookends. Small boxes in drawers make great �dividers�. Think creatively rather than monetarily.

3: One space at a time, start organizing your things back to where the designated area is. LABEL the area, box, shelf, drawer, whatever. For now, using medical tape and a sharpie is good� later you can get fancy but for now just get it done.

2: Once you have everything where it belongs, designate a container to �working� supplies. This should be big enough to put everything you need (within reason� not talking like your cuttlebug machine or such) in when working on a project. Either after each project is done (if you do stuff frequently) or once a week (if your project is done � some people take 2 weeks on a project, some (like me) can do 2 projects in a single night) or when the container if full take the container BEFORE starting the next project and put everything in it away. This container can be a cardboard box� it doesn�t have to be �pretty� or fancy! Remember, we didn�t �buy� anything 

1: Enjoy using and shopping from your nice newly organized space!!! I think that once we see what we have that will be a huge step in not buying more �stuff� just to have it!!
great info I printed it out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 11:38 AM   #169  
Glitter Guru

I haven't looked back through this thread so this may have been posted already. I am part of a thread called Stamp to Spend. Here is the link: Forums at Splitcoaststampers

We have our own challenges to help us use our stash. It can be very sobering to see what you actually spend when you track it.
Anyone is welcome to join us!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 11:41 AM   #170  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by creatingisfunView Post
great info I printed it out!
Thanks I am actually really good at making order out of chaos... it's one of my work related specialties
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #171  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by NancyK.View Post
So many of the free digi's are not my style but I found two recently that I love. They are from Paper Garden - one was a christmas stocking that I wished I had found earlier, but I think I can use this image for a Mardi Gras card, and the second is a nice coneflower in a jar - here are the links:
Alyssa's Christmas Stocking Digital stamp set - It's Free! : Paper Garden Projects, card kits & supplies for the busy crafter
Coneflowers Digital Stamp Set - It's Free! : Paper Garden Projects, card kits & supplies for the busy crafter
Nancy, thanks for the link to those adorable images, and here's one more:
Woodland Whimsy Raccoons digital stamp set - It's Free! : Paper Garden Projects, card kits & supplies for the busy crafter
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 12:09 PM   #172  
Stazon Splitcoast

Go to the website and look on far right under "best sellers" ... there's a bunch of freebies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 12:09 PM   #173  
Stazon Splitcoast

or go to left, click "all products" and sort by price low to high!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 12:17 PM   #174  
Stazon Splitcoast

There appears to be 6 total... ignore the last post... just go to the 'best sellers'
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #175  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks from me too, Heather, for posting this. Without going into my "story", I recently learned that ADD is a very normal facet of the grieving process.

While I am typically a very organized person, this is no longer true as I lack the ability to concentrate and organize areas of my life, especially one as daunting as getting my craft room back in order.

I have a very understanding and caring boss; we have discovered that I can accomplish things on a task-oriented basis. So that's how she gives me things to do.

And now I have a list from you that's doable, one thing at a time.

Not to get sappy, but thank you from the bottom of my heart. I'm even looking forward to scrounging around for boxes so I can get started!

Happy New Year everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 12:45 PM   #176  
Stazon Splitcoast

Linda,

You are so welcome!!

I am fortunate that I can wade into the midst of stuff and organize, but when it comes to cleaning I get overwhelmed and give up.

My grand niece had ADHD and is in a similar boat as you. Her mom says "Go clean your room!" and it's akin to saying, go fly to Mars! She doesn't even know where to start.

When I am there I will go in with her and tell her to take everything on the floor and put it on the bed. That's where we always start. It's just ONE thing.

Then we go around and get the rest of the stuff on the floor that she missed.

Then we sweep.

Then we straighten the closet and the "floor stuff" like the doll's table, cradle, etc.

Then we one by one start taking things off the bed...

She can function so well and does so good like that but just going in is impossible... she has to have supervision and step by step tasks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 01:33 PM   #177  
Kookie Creator

Some very good insight here, friends... thanks for all of the good advice. I appreciated as well the input from sweetandsassystamps... there are two sides to every coin!

Last edited by bobbyjo; 01-09-2011 at 09:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 02:07 PM   #178  
Compulsive Stamper

Default I thought I was the only one...

Thank you for this thread! I really did think I was the only that had this problem. I mean I hear of others having alot of stamp sets etc. but I thought they used it all. I finally got a storage system going using baskets and that has helped me soooo much. Now when I need something I just have to look in the basket for say punches, embellishments etc. Then I went through everything and decided what I wanted to keep, sell or give away. Well the keep is put away, the give away and sell are in their respective piles but haven't gone anywhere. And now that I was working on Christmas cards my table and room is a mess with a capital M! But I sure felt better after going through it all and making decissions. Almost lighter. After seeing the stuff I am giving away I have become more choosey (if such a word) as to what I purchase. I also have realized that the quality from certain stores just isn't there. So I will stick to ordering from my favorite company. I have also figured this out: when you buy from the smaller mini catalogs, they only keep those around for a few months. So if you are looking for value...make sure the set is versitile and one that you will use time after time. And the ones they put on special beit monthly, quarterly etc., and along with the ribbon and embellishments, unless you're totally in love with them and will 'use' them don't buy them. And one last tip, if you see something that you really really have to have try it out first if you can. Find a demo or take a class that is going to use the product you're interested in. Then if you like it after trying it you will be okay with the purchase, it won't be an impulse buy. Or you might find that it wasn't as good as you thought. I am doing the buying freeze right now at least for awhile. Or I will try...oh one more thing, it was mentioned in a previous post. Don't let certain specials suck you in with its mention of a FREE stamp set. You could buy that one set yourself, combine it with a friends order to save on shipping and it will still be cheaper than having to spend the minimum. Okay I'm done! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 02:12 PM   #179  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

darloudasha!
WOW!!!! THANK YOU!!!! For the 12 Step to organizing your space!!!!! Some GREAT hints in there!!! I too copied it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 03:36 PM   #180  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Go to the website and look on far right under "best sellers" ... there's a bunch of freebies
I don't see " Best Sellers" nor can I down load the free stocking ones. Do you need to register or buy something to get them?
Thanks
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 06:09 PM   #181  
Stampin' Fool

Wow, great ideas from everyone! My goal for the year is to have only 2 SU orders (one during SAB), and not buy any other supplies (because heaven knows I have 27 of everything!). My DH and I just bought a vacation home, so I need to NOT spend money on crafting supplies--BUT I want to have stamping space and supplies in our new home. I am certainly NOT going to buy duplicate supplies--so I will have to decide what stays here and what goes to the vacation house. I think that will be enough of a challenge...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 07:51 PM   #182  
Inking Addict

For those of you who are like me, living in CHAOS(Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome), there is a great site to help us get organized called FlyLady.net. I'm still "baby stepping" my way around, but as she says, your house didn't get that way overnight and it's not going to get clean in 1 day.

Gwen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 08:54 PM   #183  
Matboard Maniac

Wink I am woman, hear me roar!

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxermom16View Post
For those of you who are like me, living in CHAOS(Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome), there is a great site to help us get organized called FlyLady.net. I'm still "baby stepping" my way around, but as she says, your house didn't get that way overnight and it's not going to get clean in 1 day.
I found Fly Lady about eight years ago. I followed her site and e-mails for about 2 years. It helped me when I was suffering depression bad enough that it would take me over half my day just to work up to brushing my teeth and having a shower. She offers TONS of good sensible advice without making it overwhelming. I still think of what I consider to be her main motto "you can do anything for 15 minutes". It's amazing what you can accomplish in 15 minutes and it's such a manageable amount of time. Then, next time you can spare 15 minutes it's another bite out of a big job.

Six years ago, I fled a controlling relationship and moved to a different province living in my car until I could find a place to stay and get a job. I used her can do attitude to keep myself focused and positive. I kept summing it up by saying "I am woman!" and it worked. So here it goes: We are women, we are strong, we are masters of our own fate (I mean craft room :rolleyes: ) and we can do this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 09:05 PM   #184  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogzrulecaView Post
I found Fly Lady about eight years ago. ... "you can do anything for 15 minutes".
I too love Flylady!! I am actually suffering from depression right now... not severe enough to make me stay home and partially stemming from my chronic illness/autoimmune disorder and I can tell you, I have a severely challenged house situation right now (cleaning) but I have, now that I've gotten out of 3 months of physical therapy and my meds have started working again, started in on the 15 minute thing... although I've started with 5 minutes. I'm working 5 minutes once or twice or three times a day on my house and little by little it's getting better. If I can work up to 10 at some point, great, but in the meantime 5 minutes is better than 0 minutes! I have a psych apt in January to see what we can do to reduce my stress and I'm hoping that will help the stamina issue as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 09:08 PM   #185  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I don't see " Best Sellers" nor can I down load the free stocking ones. Do you need to register or buy something to get them?
Thanks
Barbara
Here you go

All Products : Paper Garden Projects, card kits & supplies for the busy crafter

It's numbers 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 and 8.

Put them into your cart like you were buying them... you have to register and act like you are buying something, but they will come back as "free" when you "check out" and you can download them once you have. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 09:09 PM   #186  
Stazon Splitcoast

Once you click on the link (in the message above) they are on the far right side
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 09:50 PM   #187  
Glitter Guru

Received 853 Likes on 510 Posts

Quote:

I too love Flylady!! I am actually suffering from depression right now... not severe enough to make me stay home and partially stemming from my chronic illness/autoimmune disorder and I can tell you, I have a severely challenged house situation right now (cleaning) but I have, now that I've gotten out of 3 months of physical therapy and my meds have started working again, started in on the 15 minute thing... although I've started with 5 minutes. I'm working 5 minutes once or twice or three times a day on my house and little by little it's getting better. If I can work up to 10 at some point, great, but in the meantime 5 minutes is better than 0 minutes! I have a psych apt in January to see what we can do to reduce my stress and I'm hoping that will help the stamina issue as well.
I can so relate with your situation. I have Meniere's Disease and Neurocardiogenic syncope, which keeps me dizzy all the time; along with a host of other symptoms. On bad days, I do good to get out of bed, but on good days, I love to work on my crafts, as I need to have something that I enjoy. I used to love to garden and such, but I can't do that sort of thing anymore. But I can scrapbook and make cards, and occasionally sew etc... Cleaning house is a challenge for me also, but the more organizing I get done, the more excited I am getting about scrapbooking/cardmaking again! It's spilling over into the other areas of my life, and I'm using the good days to get not only my craft room, but the other rooms of the house better organized. I sooo love the suggestion about shopping from your own supplies. As I've been organizing, I'm coming across things I forgot I had. What a rush!
I have to be careful though; I am trying to cut out useless spending, but on days that I feel bad, feel stressed or blue, it is too easy to spend a few minutes on the computer and buy things I don't need. Maybe it is the dream of doing all these things that pulls me in, and not the reality. The reality is that I have plenty; I don't NEED to buy anymore at this time. I guess we all have our weaknesses and our triggers.
Right now, I am still in the process of organizing, and it will take me a while, so I'm not getting any crafting done, but that is alright. I do sympathize with you though. I usually have to clean in like ten minute or so spurts, then I have to sit down for a while. What used to take me an afternoon, now takes all week (and that is on a good week!) I usually have to lay down so many times a day. So glad to hear that you are making progress and improving. I agree with you, being able to do anything at all is better than nothing (been there in the past also).
So glad that this thread was started; maybe it'll help keep me motivated.
Thanks also to you all for the link to the racoon digital stamp! They are soooo cute!!!

Last edited by hoptownracer1; 12-30-2010 at 09:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 04:07 AM   #188  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: scrappin and cat napping in the thumb of Minglerville
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 12 steps to organize your space

Quote:

12: Do not buy any craft related item (other than adhesive IF and ONLY if you run out � this includes strip tape, dots, etc.) for 45 days (think �lent�) or until step 11 is done (whichever comes LAST! you�re your room is clean before the 45 days is up you still have to wait 45 days, but if it takes you 60 days to clean your room you have to not buy anything for the whole 2 months (if you are really honestly seriously in need of something for a project you are ACTUALLY WORKING ON you can get it but nothing else)

Get a bunch of boxes. On the outside mark (use a blank piece of �typing (computer) paper� and tape to outside if there�s no room to write on box) what it is for:
11x8 � paper
12x12 paper
6x6 paper
Stamp sets
�stray� stamps (from sets)
Unmounted/clear stamps
Rhinestones
Eyelets
Brads
Stickers
Ink
Adhesive
Die cuts
Punches
(use whatever catagories you need � and only ONE THING PER BOX!!!!!)
Inventory what you have (okay if you really don�t have a notebook buy one but really do ANY of us have NO notebooks, note pads, writing tablets, LAPTOP?)

10: Go through each box and start give, sell, trade, pitch boxes (DO NOT do this while sorting, it takes too long and it becomes a way to not organize! � if you watch the programs you will see they do the same thing � sort first, then purge). Anything you intend to throw away, stop and pause and consider donating it to your local kindergarten or HeadStart/Great Start program (contact the school district for contact numbers) � 2, 3 and 4 year olds love flat stickers, paste, cheap paper, etc. 

9: Actually get rid of your �get rid of stuff� from #10. Take your �give� boxes around to your friends, family, groups and present them freely to take what they want! NO takebacks (unless you really honestly really think you need it back). Pitch your pitch stuff (or like I said take it to Headstart or someone� if you don�t find one in your area send it to me!! ) Trade your trade stuff (there are forums on here to trade unwanted stuff). Put your sell stuff with your garage sale items or to your local store or ebay it, whatever. Just do it!

8: Go through the stamp boxes, one at a time, and make sure they are clean (unless you are good about cleaning them and know they are!  - I have a LOT to clean!) There are a lot of ways to sort/store stamps. Find the one you can work with best and go to it! (I start with stamps first because you can create with stamps and nothing else (but ink) so that�s your first go to thing and thus what needs to be sorted first.)
Sort by type: wood mount, clear, unmounted (digis obviously are not included in this process�. If you want to sort your digis do that later so you aren�t distracted from the physical organization.)
Stamps can be sorted into containers, onto plastic sheets, into a shoe box� whatever as long as it works for you. Here�s a trick to seeing clear ones better. Stamp them with momento ink. Don�t clean it for a couple days. Then clean with a wet wipe. It will remain black and you can see the pattern! It still will work fine, but it will be stained with the black ink for visibility 
I like to store them by: holiday (I use the calendar for order); flowers; words; mystical beings; animals; etc. Neatly put back into your �sorting� boxes unless you already have identified, cleaned off space to put them properly.

7: Go through your paper and sort it by size, then color (rainbow) and then design. Use 2gallon ziplocks to store scraps sorted by color in � that way when you need a �scrap� you aren�t sorting through a huge PILE � since the ziplocks you can pick up by the top. Makes it much easier! Use magazine holders (dollar store or you can �steal� the �folder� displays from stores at back to school time!) to hold your regular size paper. You can modify them to make 12x12 holders or use a large priority mail box (obviously one that someone sent you something in since you would never STEAL one from the post office ;) ) and cut a diagonal out of one corner to make a holder. Alter it if you want LATER AFTER you are done organizing your room. Neatly put them back into your �sorting� box.

6: Go through ink. Put them by type, then size, then colour. Use whatever you need to sort them. I have my eyedrop size containers (momento and versamagic chalk) in the lip of a 11x8.5 paper box. I have the regular full size pads in the paper box itself. Use what you have. If you don�t have anything, a ziplock will do for the small ones and rubber band the big ones together or just set neatly into the sorting boxes.

5: Go through each embellishment, punches, magazine, ribbon, etc box and sort like items into snack or sandwich size ziplocks (these baggies and such are for if you don�t already have something to store them in � I�m going with the don�t buy anything theme which includes no buying storage either!) If you want to use cardstock to make cute decorative storage boxes later AFTER you finish great� but for now ziplocks work fine.

4: Take a piece of paper or your computer. Grid paper works best. List what all furniture/storage you have and see what will best fit where. For instance, you do not have to have 12x12 paper holders if you have a bookcase and bookends. Small boxes in drawers make great �dividers�. Think creatively rather than monetarily.

3: One space at a time, start organizing your things back to where the designated area is. LABEL the area, box, shelf, drawer, whatever. For now, using medical tape and a sharpie is good� later you can get fancy but for now just get it done.

2: Once you have everything where it belongs, designate a container to �working� supplies. This should be big enough to put everything you need (within reason� not talking like your cuttlebug machine or such) in when working on a project. Either after each project is done (if you do stuff frequently) or once a week (if your project is done � some people take 2 weeks on a project, some (like me) can do 2 projects in a single night) or when the container if full take the container BEFORE starting the next project and put everything in it away. This container can be a cardboard box� it doesn�t have to be �pretty� or fancy! Remember, we didn�t �buy� anything 

1: Enjoy using and shopping from your nice newly organized space!!! I think that once we see what we have that will be a huge step in not buying more �stuff� just to have it!!
I love it thanks, I've read many articles about this but you've given me some good ideas. Just in time I'm starting today to do a major cleanup and purge. We built a 2nd story on our house so I have my own room. I've got it somewhat done but not where i know what all i have to use my own stash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 04:17 AM   #189  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default fly lady

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxermom16View Post
Thanks i'm checking her site now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 04:34 AM   #190  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by stasiatoddView Post
I think it is Barbara who asked if joining a CTMH club is a good idea. I'm a SU demo and have had clubs for 8 1/2 years. My customers would say definitely YES. Focuses you on product, budgets you for the long run, and keeps you from going crazy buying other products.[or at least not as much] You know that everything matches.

You also make friends with other people who have the same creative interests as you. You meet, create, and enjoy fellowship. Do it!

As far as freezing my purchases, no, I'll buy to demonstrate. What I do need to do is create more for fun, not only for clubs and classes.

New Year's hugs,
Stasia
I don't think there is anything wron with the stamp club, sure you pay $20 BUT you are getting out, taking a class and enjoying time with your friends and you have something to show for it weather it be a new card or scrap page and some new supplies that will help curb impulse buying. Some times I do out for appetizers and drinks with my girlfriends and spend that much I host a craft night at my house almost every month, it is free, you can use all of my stamps, cricut, bigshot papers whatever you like and I am lucky to get 3 or 4 people show up (out of the 25 or so I invite) they all want to come but family, life, work get in the way...they feel guilty taking time for themselves.

I used to teach art classes for a living and people paid for class and I always had full classes because they paid and felt wasteful not to go even if they were tired, I think a stamp club is good that way forcing a commitment

I want to give you all a big hug, you are so inspiring, let's lift each other up in the new year!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 04:35 AM   #191  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Oh and I wanted to mention a great way to double your stash for free is to see what your friends have and borrow it for a week or two, you will use it (because you will neeed to return it where as you might buy something and let it sit forever!) and it dosent cost a dime! I do it with cricut carts and stamps all the time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 04:54 AM   #192  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default 12 step program

1) Prayer- Dear Lord, I admit that I am powerless over my addiction I admit that my life is unmanageable when I try to control it. Help me this day to understand the true meaning of powerlessness. Remove from me all denial of my addiction.

2) If I see something I think I can't live without I will ask myself 3 questions, 1. Do I really need this? 2. Do I have something at home that I can use instead? 3. Do I really have a project for this? I will do an inventory of what I currently have

3) I will create a budget. This will allow me to see all of my finances as an overview and convey the importance of not overspending.

4) I will recognize any impulses I may have. Was the impulse for a need or a want? I need to think each impulse through to create awareness. I will not beat myself up over these impulses, just learn from them.

5) When I shop, I will bring someone with me that is not a compulsive shopper. They will serve as a �grounding� force to make sure I don�t go overboard.

6) I will recognize the difference between need and want. When I go shopping, I will make a list of �need� items only.

7) I will separate the classification of who people are from what they own. She is not �Jill, you know� the blonde woman with the scrapbook room to kill for?� She is now �Jill, you know� the woman from Church with the 3 adorable children?�

I enjoy window-shopping, but I will do it after hours when all the stores are closed. Or I will do it without bringing a wallet. Either way, I get to look, but can�t buy.

9) I will pay by cash. Credit cards are great tools for some, but if you have a shopping compulsion, get rid of your cards!

10) I will call or email a friend and see if they have that tool or stamp that I need for my current project.

11) I will try to organize a group of friends in my area where we can get together and make projects or do a stamp and punch party. (You bring the paper and use their stash)

12) I will keep the online thread going as my support group.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 08:10 AM   #193  
Kookie Creator

So if I keep looking for interesting things online to learn about instead of doing what needs to be done in my own little CHAOS, does that mean I am depressed. I have wondered that lately.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 08:49 AM   #194  
Hardware Hotshot

Default I caved in already

Ok I caved in already and it is not even Jan 1st :rolleyes:

Ellen Hutson had 20% everything and I have had my eye on the Ranger Heat-It tool for some time. My embossing tool blows the powder all over and I read the Heat-It tool doesn't do that . So-o-o- I bought it

THEN I have had my eye on the "JustRite Sparky the Snowman" since it came out. Scrap-Mart had 40% off all stamps so-o-o-o- I bought Sparky!!
I don't NEED Sparky, but I really wanted it ! ;)

So much for my spending freeze.
I will get back on the spending freeze after Jan 1st
Barbara Jay
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 09:21 AM   #195  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyestitchView Post
So if I keep looking for interesting things online to learn about instead of doing what needs to be done in my own little CHAOS, does that mean I am depressed. I have wondered that lately.
There are different degrees and clinical vs common usage of the term depression. sounds like u may have low grade common usage depression. there is definitely something going on if you have little interest in doing but only in accumulating or virtually living. i do that also when i get bad which generally equates to when my illness acts up. i would suggest that u might think about whats going on in your life causing stress cause it sounds like an avoidance behaviour. maybe you are stressed out and overwhelmed about stuff...? sorry re my typing. i have a 2yo on me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 09:22 AM   #196  
Stazon Splitcoast

barb i am starting on the 1st too dont feel bad!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 12:24 PM   #197  
Chat Box Chicks Good Girl

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by natlholView Post
My sister, niece, friend and I are doing something along these lines for 2011 although it doesn't involve a spending freeze for the whole year. I'm just not that strong!

We have a challenge (this is our second year) to make 100 things (this year it's 111 for 1/11) before we can buy anything. At the end of that time, we try to come up with a new challenge.

We have guidelines:
1. We can buy adhesive.
2. We can buy things to make our "stuff" work. For example, if I really can't get any more use out of my cricut mat, I can buy a new one. But I have to use it til it's dead before I can buy a new one! Same with blades for trimmers, etc. (But I can't buy a new circle punch just because I don't have the size I need/want.)
3. We can buy envelopes for cards--if we ran out of the right size.
4. Because we are scrappers, photo processing does not count as spending.
5. If we get gift cards to Michaels, Archivers, etc., we can spend them before we reach our goal. That is more of a gift than it is spending.

One surprising thing that happened was that it stopped impulse buying for me after the challenge was complete. The scrapping stuff in the Target Dollar Spot is a good example. Before, I would mindlessly throw stuff in my cart if I thought it was cute. During my challenge, I couldn't buy anything. After the challenge, I only bought stuff if I had a specific use for it in mind. I was spending $15 or so every time they changed the stuff in the Spot, but after the challenge, I occasionally spent $1-$3. It was really eye opening.

On those days that I thought I would scream from not being able to buy something (an addiction is a horrible thing!) I would go buy ONE box of glue dots. I use a ton of glue dots, so this was an ok thing and it satisfied my urge to buy. Besides, I could use my coupons for them, too.
This is what I did- it took me from about September to December and I did buy 2 pieces of dp but I had uses in mind for them. I've upped it to 125 now (and I never did buy what I had planned to buy at the 100). I am still holding on to that. I also found during that time that I was reaching for a lot of the same stamps so I now have my FS list that will hopefully help me get rid of some more...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 04:57 PM   #198  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbie derocherView Post
I, too, went into my room and said, OMG, what a mess. My christmas cards are in partial stages of completion on the counter. I'm truly ashamed of myself. I had such good intentions this year. I KNOW I won't stop buying, it's compulsive now. BUT, I do hope to complete my cards from this year, and it will be great next year to have some extra made in advance. AND, I'd really like to organize my room as a New Years resolution. Happy and a healthy to everyone on SCS.
Yes, yes Debbie! I have been doing some reorganizing and planning to do tags and cards ahead for next year too! I have put myself on a "diet." I look at things I would like, but I set a personal limit for the month, and that is that. Then, if I have to wait for a few months for something, I can know if I truly need it or just wanted it at the time. Slowly, but surely... Happy New Year to you all!!

My little blog: http://lynda-marquez.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 08:16 PM   #199  
kraf*T*y mama

I am so struggling already and it's only jan 1

I really wanna order from joann.com cause they are having a good sale and I have a free shipping code!

and it's tim holtz inks and stuff!

Mama to Kaden, Blake, and Ava

Origami Owl Independent Designer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 08:23 PM   #200  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

There are different degrees and clinical vs common usage of the term depression. sounds like u may have low grade common usage depression. there is definitely something going on if you have little interest in doing but only in accumulating or virtually living. i do that also when i get bad which generally equates to when my illness acts up. i would suggest that u might think about whats going on in your life causing stress cause it sounds like an avoidance behaviour. maybe you are stressed out and overwhelmed about stuff...? sorry re my typing. i have a 2yo on me
I spent most of this year doing the same thing. I increased my dose of meds and starting going to bed an hour earlier. I finally had the urge to create and in two weekends I made 23 cards. How great that felt to actually use the stuff I have instead of adding to it, doing an inventory of it, reading about it, etc. Depression can really impact the amount you buy and the amount you use your stash. Best wishes to you.
Reply With Quote Likes