Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-05-2006, 01:56 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Been to any Stamping Conventions? Advice?

I was talking with a friend today and she just got back from CHA in Vegas. It got me thinking...If their was any 1 convention for Rubber Stamping/Scrapbooking, which one is the biggest and best?

Does anyone know?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2006, 02:20 PM   #2  
Watercolor Wizard

I don't know because I've never been to one. I found one in my area but it's not until OCT. - I'm trying to find one that's closer, it seems I can find one in every state but my own.

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2006, 10:02 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

I don't know if there is a best one. If there are none in your area, pick one where you would like to go to or where it's easy to travel to. Stampfest by the Bay is on the 18th and you can fly into Tampa. Or there's Stampfest in Orlando in June. Another easy place to fly to. And you can go to Disney!

Look at the list of vendors and check out the vendors websites. See if you like their stamps. The convention in St. Mary's, GA in Feb. sounds really cool. But most of the vendors are not my style--to artsy.

My $0.02. :p

Was he talking about stamping?

See my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2006, 10:23 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

CK came to PA last year, and I was really wishing it would have suited to go. That's one I'd like check out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2006, 11:21 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Okay, my .02 cents....I have been to Riverside, CA, Ventura, CA, Orlando, FL, Las Vegas (they now have 2), Spokane, WA (not a bad convention, but smaller than I'm used to...but still managed to plunk down a chunk of change)Carson, CA. For me, Carson, CA....the original....used to be THE BEST. I was disappointed in Ventura, Riverside is not my style, Orlando was eh, but it was only the second or third year when I went (1997) and the April Vegas one was pretty good. Don't know where you are, but every stamp magazine has a list of them and their sponsors. I would say if you don't like the 'artsy' ones....try Vegas (although I haven't been to the one in Oct), Orlando or even Carson, CA (LAX is closest airport - the next one there is March 11). Would love to go to more and every time we travel, I look to see if there will be one when/where we are going. In fact, our Orlando trip WAS for convention, Disney was a side light. I think that now that there are so many, they are becoming more 'centered' as far as style, that's why I don't go to all of them in my area. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2006, 01:04 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

There is one here in Tucson, AZ in Feb and I have been the last three years. They have something to offer. Take a digital camera if you have one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2006, 03:25 PM   #7  
stu
Stampin' Fool

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geribeari
There is one here in Tucson, AZ in Feb and I have been the last three years. They have something to offer. Take a digital camera if you have one.
I would second the comment about taking a digital camera! The conventions I have been to have had TONS of ideas and most of the vendors were fine with people taking pictures (but I always asked). However I did not want to spend money to develop regular film, deal with changing the film while at the convention, etc, so I really wished I had taken a digital camera. This year I am planning to have my DD bring hers, with lots of room on the memory card!

There's only one convention that comes to my neck of the woods, Auntie Amy's, so I can't compare it to any other ones. But there are lots out there to choose from--hope you find one you like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2006, 07:32 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Can't give advice about which convention, but I can give some tips about them in general...

Wear COMFY shoes
Bring bottled water and food; food to purchase tends to be pricey and mediocre
Unless you are extraordinarily self-disciplined, bring only the amount of CASH you want to spend, no credit cards. Trust me...
Bring a small mirror. If you want to look at unmounted stamps, sentiments can be mighty hard to read backwards! Use the mirror and read the reflection.
Have lots of pockets and a smaller bag. sometimes in the crush of crowds those big bags/backpacks/rolling bags can be a downright danger to others.
If necessary make trips to your car to unload stuff.
Try and find out if there's a pin or card contest.
If you can find out who will be there, try visiting some of their websites beforehand; that way you'll have a better idea of if you even care to visit their booth. Keep in mind, though, that while you may not like a company's images, they may be demoing a knock-out technique.
Be courteous and ASK before taking pictures. Most vendors won't mind but some really, really don't want people to.

That's all I can think of for now. It's been awhile since I've been to any, but I certainly do remember how fun, noisy, exhausting and exhilarating they are!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2006, 09:55 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

My friend, who has more stamps/craft supplies/paper/just about everything there is loves going to the one in Puyallup, WA every May. She comes home with amazing treasures. I've never been due to baseball games, but this year...I'm going! However, with so many web sites available I doubt there is anything that couldn't be found elsewhere...including ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2006, 10:09 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

I posted this on the Clearwater convention thread:

Bring your digital camera to the convention! We arrive about 11. There's usually an hour wait to get in when it opens. We avoid the line by going at 11.

Look at everything before buying unless they don't have many of the item. Sometimes someone will have the same item cheaper at another booth.

It it's expensive or you want to buy a lot of their stamps, see if they sell online (or if they run out of the item). Sometimes they will give you free shipping. That way you have more $$ to spend that day and can get that stuff at another date.

If you like unmounted, it's usually a lot cheaper than mounted and won't weigh you down. Again, more $ to spend there. Some people only sell UM.

Around 2, things quiet down. It will be easier to see the booths and the demos.

Was he talking about stamping?

See my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2006, 05:09 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Smile

It was great! Spent more than I budgeted, but not by much. Marco's Papers had some great buys and I saw a couple of techniques I have to try. Anybody who can go to one of these oughta go if at all possible. Ran into several of my Ocala Stamp Club friends. Now, I have to put away my stuff and get stampin'! What am I doing on here?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2006, 05:40 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Swapper of the Month June 2012

Received 222 Likes on 127 Posts

Here are links to 3 that I've attended; all with a little different setup. I enjoy them all but can't really say which one is the "best." Take the advice of all the replies...wear comfortable shoes and take in only the amount of money you plan to spend. It is very, very easy to get carried away!

http://www.heirloompro.com/

http://www.scrapbookingevent.com/pub...nventions.shtm

http://www.auntieamy.com/

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2006, 06:35 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

I've been to the Heirloom Pro convention in Springfield Massachusetts and all I can say is it was the best ever. There was an incredible selection of all different styles and companies. People came from far distances so it must have a great reputation. I wanted to go again this year - it's always the first weekend in June - but I have to work! Waaaaaa!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2006, 07:05 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

I've been to 2; Aunt Amy's and Heirloom both in Washington state. I think the Heirloom show was much bigger and better. I spent plenty of money at both, but the Heirloom show had more vendors with a bigger variety of merchandise.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2006, 07:48 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

One thing to add...bring a small notebook and a couple of cheap pens. That way you can make note of what vendors have stuff you like. Then you can come back to it, and if they've sold out you will know after you get home what it is you were looking for. (This helps prevent buying everything you see from the first five vendors and then having buyer's remorse around the whole rest of the convention.) The pens are also good for getting on mailing lists and entering drawings.

Kate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2006, 09:48 AM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I lived in California I religiously attended the Carson conventions - I was never disappointed (except that I needed more money!). The Ventura one is small - it's a small market. The Vegas convention is very good, but not as big as Carson. Last year I attended St. Mary's in Georgia and I loved the classes they held.
Going to conventions convinced me that unmounted stamps is the way to go. I really wish SU would sell unmounted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2006, 11:59 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Default mailing labels

Don't forget the preprinted mailing labels. There may be drawings or you may want to be added to a mailing list. It is so much better than having to write things many times.

Some places don't allow strollers or large bags. Have a carry bag with you.

Take the camera. There are many examples & most booths will let you take pictures.

The food at the Milwaukee convention is bad & cost a lot. It is near the airport and has a lot of fast food places to eat at.

If staying at the hotel, find out if the hotel has a discount for people attending the convetion.

Bring water even to the classes. They may have pitchers with glasses.

Go on Friday for the make & takes and to walk around the convention floor. Less people on Friday.

Take your classes on Sat. Sometimes the classes fill up fast so you may want to sign up asap or watch the site to see how fast the classes fill up.

I will be at the Milwaukee Midwest convention for the fifth year. I enjoyed it when it is held in Milwaukee, NOT MADISON. I already sign up for my 3 classes.

Keep track of what you spend. You will spend more than you think. Check out the convention coupon books.

Bring smaller bills for the make and takes. They are free to $3.00 and the vendors have run out of bills.

Have fund

BSK
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2006, 12:01 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've enjoyed reading the tips here. Another one is to bring a bunch of labels with your name and address (and maybe email?). Many venders have sign up sheets for drawings and mailing lists. With the labels you save time and effort signing up for all the freebies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2006, 12:05 PM   #19  
Glitter Guru

I've been to 4 creating keepsakes conventions and am going to another (CTMH has a booth I am working at) - they are great, classes are varied and for all levels. Great make and takes on the vendor floor

I've been to a Hierloom Stamp convention - much smaller, but definitely more artistic stuff

�So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.�
Reply With Quote Likes