Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-28-2006, 09:00 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procrastination

I need serious help. I have all these wonderful stamps, and supplies. I love to stamp and send cards to my friends and family.

This year, I've been late making cards for many special occasions. Today is my sister's birthday. I love her very much, and I know she loves to get my cards. I finished the card today. Now, do I need to drive an hour each way to deliver it, or mail it and have it arrive late?

I keep telling myself that I will be early next time, but I've done it again. There is no excuse. I keep thinking about what card to make. I think it's coming up with a design that is my problem. For the first time, I now have a place to stamp, so I can't use the excuse that I don't want to get all the stuff out and put it away again.

I'm very disappointed in myself for doing this. Any suggestions?
Eileen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2006, 09:16 AM   #2  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pick a set and then look at the gallery and find ideas from other cards. That has really helped me to get out of a funk and get stamping!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2006, 09:32 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Like Kikikaren said the gallery is a great place for inspiration. Don't be afraid to make a card when inspiration(not sure if I am spelling that right, sorry) hits whether you have an occasoion or not. Sentiments can always be added later.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2006, 09:38 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 457 Likes on 346 Posts

I have found something that has really helped me get cards out on time. My computer has a daily calendar that pops open when I turn on my computer each morning. I went through the entire year and instead of putting people's birthdays on my calendar, I put send a card to *** seven days before their actual birthday. I make the card that day and put it in the mail the next. So far, no more late cards. It works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2006, 11:16 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

I would mail the card (she'll probably get it tomorrow, won't she), and then call her today.

I am a horrible procrastinator too, so I know exactly what you mean. I end up buying cards a lot.

I've often thought a good idea would be to take a little time here and there and cut paper, then do the actual stamping later, then color and add embellishments another time, etc., so it's not so much work to do all at one time.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2006, 11:25 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I'd probably call her and opt to mail the card. She is probably expecting one from you. I'm the worst with procrastinating, or get too grand of ideas on what I can accomplish in the time I have---so can't be much of a help. I do know that now I have a place I can leave my stuff out, it helps me stay motivated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2006, 11:56 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by allee's
I have found something that has really helped me get cards out on time. My computer has a daily calendar that pops open when I turn on my computer each morning. I went through the entire year and instead of putting people's birthdays on my calendar, I put send a card to *** seven days before their actual birthday. I make the card that day and put it in the mail the next. So far, no more late cards. It works for me.

That's a great idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2006, 11:59 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

I've just spoken with my sister, and will be taking her out to lunch tomorrow. We can meet half way between our houses. I'll give her card to her in person. She knows procrastination is my worst fault, and still loves me.
Than you for the suggestions. Now that I've gone public and owned up to it it will give me incentive to work on things in advance. Eileen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2006, 04:34 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

LOL, Mary Eileen...I am late for my sister's practically every year. And she's my identical twin!! Don't worry....you are DEFINITELY not the only procrastinator in the bunch! I actually won a contest once for the official title of "Queen of Procrastinators."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2006, 04:46 PM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

I have a whole bunch of birthdays and Mother's Day cards to make in May, so this year in April I made up all the cards I needed through to the end of September. Sometimes I changed my mind and made a new card for one person and diverted their former card to another person, but for the most part had them all done long ahead of time. It worked great, except the last birthday where because I'd made the card soo long ago, I forgot and sent it a day after the person's birthday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2006, 06:25 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

I'm glad I'm not alone. I signed up for a seminar for Procrastinators at our community college years ago. When I called to get my name on the list, it was past the date. The woman in the college office just laughed, and said I wasn't the only one to sign up late for it. It wasn't very helpful. It was a professor telling us about his problems, but no suggestions about how to solve the problem. I would have been better off getting advice here.
I just sat down and made a card in advance. Hopefully, it will be my new pattern. Thanks for your help and understanding. Eileen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2006, 07:12 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Eileen - I've been told (by someone who should know) that many procrastinators are actually perfectionists and we put things off 'til the last minute because we think everything has to be perfect and it somewhat paralyzes us. And because if we don't have time to finish a job completely, we feel that it doesn't even pay to start. Then all of a sudden, we're late. And staying up until 4am to finish.

First, it made me feel a whole lot better about the whole thing because he was taking a pretty negative character trait and turning it into something more positive. Second, just recognizing what's going on really does help. I used to sit down to make a card and it would take me HOURS to get it just right. Sometimes it took 2 hours just to figure out what I was going to do. Now, I work on "parts" whenever I have a few spare minutes. It might be doing a rough sketch of an idea when I'm waiting for an appointment or maybe stamping and coloring while I'm watching tv, or maybe just doing different background techniques to use later. Because I'm not working toward a specific, perfect end result, I get something accomplished and when it's time to actually incorporate it into a card, I've got elements already there to work around.

I've also gotten over the "every card must be an original" kind of thinking unless I'm working on something for my mother. She gets special treatment because she appreciates them so much; she keeps every handmade card she gets, and she makes them herself so she knows how much work goes into them. For the rest of the world, it's perfectly okay to borrow ideas from the galleries here and elsewhere!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2006, 07:15 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Subtract one week from the due dates! I'm the same, especially for my own family, they tend to get left till the last minute, so I've started to mark my diary for the week before the event, so hopefully they're ready on time!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2006, 09:27 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ok, I am also Queen of Procrastination. My husband says I am the Queen Of Everything, but ESPECIALLY procrastination. I very rarely get cards to people on time. I too think everything has to be original, and discard stuff as not being good enough. I recently sent a Get Well Card to a niece and a Birthday card to a friend (a week late) and neither one acknowledged that they got it (400 miles away) and it really bummed me out. I have a friend that was so excited I sent her a set of cards for her birthday that she called me as soon as she received them. She was excited about the cards but really excited because I had written her name and address in calligraphy! Consequently, I send her stuff at odd times just because she gets so excited
and loves everything! I have cards made in advance but still can't manage to send them out! It is the only area where I am ever late tho, so I guess I will just have to work on it!!!!!
One of Kota's Kids
Too Blessed to be Stressed
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2006, 09:28 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

PS Oh yeah, my husband's birthday is Sunday, do I have his card made yet? NO. I will work on it tonite, but at least I only have to hand it to him right?
One of Kota's Kids
Too Blessed to be Stressed
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2006, 10:29 AM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

I'm usually a terrible procrastinator. Last year I didn't even give our christmas cards. This year I am making them early, as in starting now, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2006, 10:31 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Send the card today and give her a ring . What I do to avoid being late is when I have a few min I sit and make a bunch of cards and I keep them in a over the door shoe hanger sorted by subject then when a b-day is near I pull one so I still have a nice homemade card but I don't have to freak out last second to make it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2006, 10:48 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

My procrastination costs me a fortune every year. While my sister & mum mail Christmas presents and children's birthday presents MONTHS in advance, I end up spending more than the present cost on air mail postage. I actually have a *completed* card sitting on my counter at home waiting to be mailed (it's been finished for nearly 2 weeks). It needs to get to Ireland by the 9th. Fortunately, I have found a "magic post office" in downtown Calgary and my relatives usually see their cards within 3 days of me mailing it (if I make it before the morning pickup!)

It's nice to know I'm not alone...

My pitifully neglected gallery

StampingReckLesley (my pitifully neglected blog)
Reply With Quote Likes